Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The Super Mario RPG remake has an enemy bestiary that really understands the sense of humor of SNES-era Square. But one of them just quietly blew the minds of everyone who saw it.

https://twitter.com/KirbyCheatFurby/status/1726815235531735530

Sure enough, there just aren't swords in mainline Mario games, you can check. And the few that exist in Mario spinoffs are almost exclusively pirate cutlasses, so none of those would be named Excalibur, either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Playing Nier Replicant after Automata and the FFXIV Nier raids is a fun kind of weird, where what feels like callbacks to things I've already seen are actually just the origins of the parts that were originally references. But I just realized something it did, that didn't occur to me until now specifically because I'm playing this backwards.

I hate gaming's habit of 'make the most boring person in the cast the protagonist'. That the player character is the blandest, least interesting member of the central team, and basically only counters that by getting the lion's share of actual scenes and just hoping that carries it. I've mentioned it in the other thread before. Nier Replicant's not as bad as other games about it, but it does still have it: even if Nier himself isn't as completely bland as certain other protagonists, he's still just not as interesting as Weiss, Emil or Kaine (especially after the timeskip, when he doesn't have that delicate optimism from taking care of his sick sister, and so doesn't bounce off Weiss nearly as well). I occasionally think that, y'know what, this game would probably be more fun if I were playing as Kaine instead.

And then I realized: that's Nier Automata. Yoko Taro based that game, at least in part, on the concept of 'what if we played as the real most fun person from the last game'.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Nov 30, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Agents are GO! posted:

I still have my ps3 copy of Nier and I honestly find Dad Nier more engaging, he conveys being tired of this poo poo way better

Whereas I actually prefer Brother Nier, because I think he's way better at selling that he's not tired of this early on. He's a nice boy getting put through hell, both by the world around him and by the people in it, and that really comes through.

Which I think is very much the intention of Nier; he's both sort of a counterpoint to Caim from Drakengard (who's exactly as awful as a person would have to be in his position), and I feel like an attempt to genuinely explore a character like Link, especially in OoT: what sort of person that guy needs to be, and what sort of a mental toll that takes.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Dec 1, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc this is actually a thing for SR2 too, it’s just that it doesn’t apply to the actual pre-rendered cutscenes for any of the SR games and SR3/4 have a lot more mid-mission dialogue and a lot less cutscenes.

Yeah, this is all true.

And to circle to the SR2 singalong again, something I find neat is that every voice sings along to two songs: Take On Me, and one unique to them. I know the one that mostly hums along (I think Laura Bailey?) does Everybody Wants To Rule The World, which is a very weird experience because you're probably not even gonna notice until you hit the chorus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

exquisite tea posted:

Troy Baker is very recognizable in Death Stranding since he's just doing his Erron Black affect but he's normally pretty versatile. I only recently learned that he was the voice of the Scoundrel in Diablo 3 and I've played that game for thousands of hours.

Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthall have the exact same problem with me, because of the exact same game. While they've both got pretty decent range, I first heard them in Persona 4 as Kanji and Yosuke (or first heard them at length, at least, Yuri was the mostly-silent protag in Persona 3), where they both sort of used exaggerated versions of their regular speaking voice. It got me attuned to hearing their particular quirks really easily; I can identify Troy Baker's characters the instant they get a bit shouty, because that's when the Kanji comes out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Apropos of nothing, a realization I've had about a decades old game:

Freespace 2's story is just a chopped and screwed version of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Pretty much every major element is there beyond the exact cast, and is just different enough that you're not gonna notice at a glance, but once you start linking bits together then there's a LOT of them.

They even made the 'Command' character a firm but authoritative bald black guy!

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Dec 14, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

CitizenKain posted:

FFXIV does that constantly, especially in Heavensward and Shadowbringers.

It's at its best when it's not even pulling from the game or expansion's main themes, but something you never thought of as a leitmotif in the first place.

The best part of Shadowbringers was The Twinning, because someone went galaxy brain on figuring out what songs will get you right in the feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also brushes off the others in your raids and parties as random adventurers who are canonically as nuts and adventure-happy as the WoL, they just lack their raw power. It's even lampshaded a few times in places where by all rights your raiding buddies shouldn't be around to help beat something up, but maybe they're having a fishing trip nearby... (An actual joke made in the game) :allears:

It also does the other crucial thing with maintaining believability with this sort of power scale: people that can stand toe to toe with you anyway. You might be real good, but sometimes a Master Asia equivalent walks into the story, and you've gotta be ready for what that means.