Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing STALKER Lost Alpha lately, which recently had its 1.0 release. I highly recommend it to anyone with a remote interest in STALKER, FPS or RPG games in general, as long as you can handle the token jank that's still being ironed out. It's 100% free and doesn't require any previous STALKER games. For those not in the know, a team of modders took the alpha builds of STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl that were released by GSC and have been building an entire STALKER game out of it. There's so much content and features, it's glorious. It's quickly becoming my favourite STALKER game.

My favourite little thing however: Anyone that's played a STALKER game before knows how integral PDAs are to the universe, although they're typically only used for missions and objectives. In Lost Alpha you actually get the odd texts from random STALKERs in the zone, sometimes with a science joke, sometimes warning of a mutant hot spot, or even a rumor on a stash. It's a really nice distraction when running/driving long distances in the zone and adds a sense of life to the often desolate world.

Jehde has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently you can catch your parachute on fire in GTA5, with predictable results.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure how you would be able to do that though.

I found this out by jumping out of a helicopter over the city. The helicopter veered off and hit the top of an adjacent building, causing it to explode and rebound back towards me as I deployed my parachute to land on the street below. Just the timing of it caused the flaming helicopter carcass to fly right over my head as I was floating in for the landing. The fire caught on to the parachute and caused it to burn up like 5 feet from the ground.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing Survarium lately, which I made a long effort post about in the STALKER thread. It's in its closed beta as a F2P objective-based arena FPS that's currently hosted purely out of Russia, so it's definitely not for everyone. A little thing I love about it though is that it actually shows you what the matchmaking is doing while you wait for the next match. It shows you an array of bars showing how many players of each level are waiting in the queue, and then highlights the brackets that it's considering to make a match with. So if it's at a time when most aren't playing, you'll see the bracket slowly expand to consider more levels, before it eventually settles on levels 0-9. :v:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Jul 30, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You guys know there's a Shadow of Mordor thread, right?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I miss when this thread was about little things, where I could post and read tidbits found in random games and not have it drowned out by "This orc keeps killing me!" ad nauseum. The nemesis system, combat, stealth, and parkour of Shadow of Morder are not little things. There have been a few legit little things from Shadow of Mordor that have been pointed out long ago, but now this has just become another Shadow of Mordor circlejerk thread. Is Shadow of Mordor the new Dark Souls?

Jehde has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Oct 23, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

If you have such a problem then loving post some content of your own or just stop reading the goddamn thread. It is not a difficult solution.

Yeah I should just stop reading what used to be my favourite thread because it was derailed and welp I guess that's how it goes. Perfect solution. :jerkbag:

This derailment about derailment has gone on longer than it should have, though. I just ask that goons use appropriate threads for discussion. There is a Shadow of Mordor thread with plenty of goons that would love to talk about Shadow of Mordor, use it.

To satisfy your 'well just post content!' fallacy: I mentioned awhile ago how Assetto Corsa allows you to completely kill your engine by overrevving. They recently released the LaFerrari hybrid hypercar that has a backup electric motor, if you kill the gasoline engine then you can still use your electric motor to get yourself to the pits, albeit very slowly.

:ironicat: for anyone that feels the need to bitch about my bitching. Less poo poo posting, more little things please.

Jehde has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Oct 23, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Far Cry 4 is full of stuff for this thread but a recent discovery is so little and so appreciated. Once you get your first home, the Ghale homestead, it comes with a complementary pipe. If you use the pipe it teleports you to a random location and leaves you in a drug haze. Since I've beat the game and kinda run out of things to do, this pipe is perfect for when I wanna load up the game and just muck about in the wild.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SiKboy posted:

I thought that pipe was the reward for finishing the Yogi quests? Or at least it looks like the one they give you and I never noticed it in the homestead until after I completed their questlines.

Oh it very well could be, I only noticed it awhile after I beat the game, so. :v:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

In Jedi Knight you can shoot out the various neon signs you come across, it's surprisingly satisfying.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pingcode posted:

Gunpoint got brought up in the Ludonarrative Dissonance thread and it reminded me of one of the neat little things (amongst the many neat little things) the developer did. You can point out the dissonance in game by saying that you may have killed more people than you actually avenged in the course of the story... but if you manage to kill no more than 2 people through the entire game that line doesn't even pop up - because you haven't actually killed enough people for there to be a dissonance.

The achievement name for that is pretty great too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Making fun of autism if my favourite little thing in the Something Awful game.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

In Hotline Miami 2 it's possibly to cut baddies' heads off. You can then kick the heads around like in Blood. :haw:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hotline Miami 2 is actually an improvement over the original in basically every way in my opinion. The only thing they did "wrong" in my opinion is made the playerbase incredibly divisive by ramping up the difficulty considerably. A lot of people take issue with this in my opinion because they forgot that Hotline Miami is supposed to be a difficult game. It's very common for people to mistake elements of difficulty (glass, open spaces, guns) as bad game design in my opinion, that is they mistake being bad at the game for the game being bad. Of course many actually like this added difficulty and scope of the sequel.

There's no point in discussing the quality of the game here though since the two sides will never see eye to eye. Go to the game's thread if you want to tell scrubs to git gud or tell nerds they have stockholm syndrome.

This is my favourite little thing about the Hotline Miami series though, finally getting the puzzle right only to still fail because some thug with a golf club smashed your head in. :allears:

vvv This however is my favourite thing about Hotline Miami 2. :ironicat:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Mar 21, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Less disagreeing about opinions on video games, more little things please.

They changed the knife in Hotline Miami 2 to be a butterfly knife this time around. As a fan of butterfly knives, I enjoy the mobsters' idle animation of twirling it around more than I probably should.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The only reason I asserted my opinion of the game is because of the previously pointed out:

Crane Fist posted:

So I think we've all agreed that Hotline Miami 2 does a whole heap of stuff wrong

Which is blatantly false and unnecessary for this thread. It's also an issue because people hear that Hotline Miami 2 is a Bad Game and they don't bother to play it to find out for themselves if they like it or not. I assumed that goons would be able to read my opinion without needing to be explicitly told it's subjective opinion, but serves me right for assuming the better of goons I guess. I editted my original post to make it more explicit that it is opinion for those that have trouble reading it as such.

Edit: If anyone still feels the need to point out how dumb my opinion is, please do so in the game's thread, stop making GBS threads up this one.

Now please, back to the little things. :negative:

One of my favourite things about hard mode in Hotline Miami 2 is also one of the more frustrating things. Anytime you pick up a weapon, it cuts the ammo in half. So if you dropped your weapon and picked it back up, you wasted half of the ammo. This introduces a whole new level of strategy to clearing the floors. Since the hard mode levels are full of different enemies requiring different weapon types to kill, you really need to think about when and where you're going to use certain weapons.

Jehde has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Mar 21, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing a fair bit of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 recently to scratch the itch. Whenever you complete a scenario, all the peeps will stop what they're doing and turn to give a round of applause toward the screen. If you unlocked balloon stalls and peeps are walking around with balloons, they'll release them to give applause. You can then go to town clicking on all the floating balloons to pop them, which is way more satisfying than it should be.

vvv This too. I'm sure everyone remembers the helicopter in SimCity 2000 too. Clicking things in building simulation games is my favourite little thing. :allears:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Mar 22, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Febreeze posted:

They do this in RCT1 as well. My favorite thing was to frequently change the colors of the balloons so you'd get a rainbow when you won.

Actually what I've been doing is putting balloon stalls near the exits of rollercoasters, then making the balloon colour the same as the rollercoaster. That way whenever I look at the crowd I can get a gist of what rides are popular.

The upcoming RCT game makes me sad because Chris Sawyer isn't involved in it in any way. :saddowns:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Mar 22, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah there's multiple different windows that can give you ride popularity that are all on instant hotkeys. I just like to do it for the sake of visualizing it and making the park pretty.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Well, half the game. The other half is making pretty rollercoasters. :v:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

While I remain hopefully optimistic, the theme park sim I'm looking forward to is Paritect. It seems like it's just RCT in Unity, but competent enough to be enjoyable.

Bit of a silly name, but it looks like they actually "get it." Thanks for the heads up!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah RCT's timelessness is part of why I've been playing so much of it lately. Both 1 and 2 showed up on Steam recently too, with all their expansion packs included. RCT1 Deluxe is only $6. :eyepop:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Anyone who's played a lot of RCT will recognize stock sounds of people cheering/laughing/screaming from tons of different places

They also have the entirety of the merry-go-round music embedded in their memory. In fact you're probably hearing it now.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Probably been mentioned before, but in GTA V the characters tend to go through dialogue when you're driving to a mission or whatever. If you crash, it will cut off the dialogue, but once you've got your bearings it picks right up from the same sentence that was cut off. No missed dialogue, no unnecessary redundancy.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dirt Rally released a couple days ago on Steam Early Access. If you're a fan of the Dirt series, or rally racing, or racing simulation in general, it's definitely worth getting in on now. However my favourite little thing about it: The default cockpit camera is far back enough that you can just see your toes on the pedals. Your feet will dance around on the pedals as you brake and throttle and change gears. It's something I don't think I've ever seen in a racing game yet and it makes you feel that much more connected to the car.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The original composer did a reconstruction somewhat recently.

Why did the perfect fighting game have to die?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

For content, I recently played through Call of Juarez: Gunslinger again alongside the recent lp and goddamn do I love the general aesthetic they gave that game. It's not just a western game, it's specifically a spaghetti western game, crazy bursts of action, dual wielding, dramatic duels, hell the enemies all die in slow motion. It's just so good.

It's easily the best western game since Sunset Riders. Yes, I'm taking Red Dead Redemption into account.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

To be clear: you're saying this was better than Red Dead Redemption?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP2ba-QYQY8

(To continue to be clear, I'm not arguing otherwise, not having played RDR.)

I'm saying Sunset Riders was peak western gaming for a long time. RDR was good, but is severely over-rated by goons. We didn't return to peak western gaming until Gunslinger released.

Comparing Sunset Riders to RDR is difficult because they're very different kinds of games, but Sunset Riders is "more western", if that makes sense. I also play Sunset Riders once every couple months, where as I haven't loaded up RDR since beating it. YMMV of course.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

I had The Doors on in my player and literally the second I clicked the video Morrison goes "C'mon, Baby, Light My Fire".

Would've been an infinitely better song choice for the mission.

Far Cry 4's token drug mission music was rad though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

BlueKingBar posted:

Honestly any game where you can stick enormous amounts of explosives to people and blow them all to hilarious effect is great. I did this back in Star Wars: Jedi Knight

It's actually a speed run tactic.

(Whole thing is definitely worth the watch if you like speed runs and/or quirky early FPS engines.)

Jehde has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Mar 27, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Is it time to bring back the Dark Souls thread title?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

You're right, so I should clarify. In the GTA games it always felt like you were just listening in on the police scanner. In Mafia it's presented as a breaking news report so you're in a tense shootout, you get into a car and as you're making your getaway the radio comes on and you hear breaking news about the shootout the French Ward that you just participated in.

It does also do the "eavesdrop on the police scanner" thing so you know when a search has been called off (for example) so I thought the radio reporting was a nice little extra touch.

GTA does breaking news over the radio as well, usually after notable story missions.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Conversely, in nearly every 3D GTA game, it seems the peds have a habit of just diving into your car instead of away from it. I imagine it has something to do with driving close enough to the ped to trigger the dive, but the direction of the dive is determined about where they have the most room to dive or something rather than just whatever direction gets them out of the way of your car.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Don't think it was a dedicated button but if you stood still for more than like 2 seconds he'd start chain smoking.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

The Saboteur looks like a lot of fun.

It really is. It was vastly underrated at the time of its release because nothing about it was really innovative, it was just a bunch of features from other games mashed together. The thing is they're mashed together so well and create a wonderful game. There's also tonnes of little things that make it a poster child for this thread.

Something to note is that the map on the PC port is all sorts of messed up, track down a console copy if you can.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The music for this is ingrained into my memory to an insane degree.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Perfect Dark was a better game. However GoldenEye tickles the nostalgia bone more readily since it was my introduction to multiplayer FPS and to 007 in general. GoldenEye was a much bigger phenomenon.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

CoJ: Gunslinger was loving fantastic. I loved that game to bits. Does Blood Dragon play similarly?

Definitely, just the Far Cry formula and 80s sci-fi instead of old west tales.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It critically wouldn't have the game most people people would expect for an N64 nostalgia trip: GoldenEye. Licensing hells mean an N64 mini would cater heavily to Nintendo first-party stuff, which there is still is a lot of, but it does mean some things would be noticeably lacking. How does Star Wars licensing work these days? :v:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I've got to give Respawn credit for going from the first game with no real single player to creating one of the best FPS single player campaigns of the last few years for the second.

Especially Effect/Cause.

And now they're doing some grimdark story Star Wars thing. :pcgaming: