Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The final boss of Mega Man’s classic mode is Dr. Mario followed by Mewtwo, mirroring the fight with the fake alien after Dr. Wiley in Megaman 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Another fun moment in RE4 is when Leon throws a knife through Salazar's hand just to be a dick.

Oh and:
"I've sent my right hand after you."
"Your right hand comes off? :smug:

The enemies' chanting in the castle always sounded like it was coming from right behind you for maximum spookitude.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Bomberman 64 has an entire sixth secret world that you unlock by finding the 100 gold cards in the main 5 worlds.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Speaking of Game Boy Mario Games, Super Mario Land had these skeleton fish enemies that jumped up from the water. If they came up under you and hit your feet, they’d die.

Kid me thought that was absolutely hilarious.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Keys in Jedi Outcast were always held by officers, and the particular officer who held a key could never be disarmed, so you’d always have to fight them. They’d also could only be knocked down, but never moved out of position, so you’d never lose one down a pit.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just finished Iconoclasts, and I was blown away by how much each the creator put into specific animations. It seems like whenever the creator wanted character to have a slightly different mood, or injury, or wants them to punch a wall a certain way, he made a new sprite.

One boss that stuck out to me was Mendeleev. She’s just some goober, a flame-powered inquisitor-in-training who jobs to you during a short sequence where you control another character, and she has a ton of flamboyant poses and animations and unique boss music that is significantly more rockin’ than the game’s second-most rocking track.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If I will be playing the Yakuza games through Steam, which one should I start with?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Kratos tossing that sea captain down the Hydra’s gullet in the first game was probably him at his most pointlessly spiteful, even if he did crueler things in later games.

Thread content: The upcoming Spiral Mountain stage for Smash Bros: Ultimate has a 1-up item floating above Banjo’s chimney in the distance, just where it was in Banjo Kazooie.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In Katana Zero, your only options to attack at range are a bunch of one-use throwing weapons you pick up off the ground.

In the final level, you enter a room and there's a gun waiting for you. Unlike every other item, it floats above a pedestal and glows!

Then when you use it, you just throw it and the barrel embeds itself in the guy's skull. It's a one-use weapon just like all the others.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Edit: whoops, I wrong thread.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Jul 23, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The slow, deliberate animation and rumbling when you open a big barred door and create a new shortcut in Sekiro is nicely dramatic.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They released Metal Wolf Chaos on Steam.

One of the main tags in the Steam store is just “America.” :911:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Edit: whoops, wrong thread.

There a minor recurring Goblin NPC in WoW named Bruno Flameretardant and that name makes me chuckle whenever I see it.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Aug 26, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I like Mr Torgue. He has two jokes: He’s either a screaming explosion-loving man child acting as such, or a screaming explosion-loving man child acting surprisingly insightful. It’s predictable, but it just works for me somehow.

*My extremely mean-looking tournament sponsor is introduced shooting a reporter for bringing up cheating allegations*
“IS IT JUST ME, OR DOES IT SEEM LIKE HE’S GOING TO BETRAY THE F*CK OUT OF YOU :byodood:

I actually got to hear a psycho i aggro’d recite the entire “Too solid flesh” monologue from Hamlet uninterrupted in-game without worry due to a combination of level disparity, distance, and intervening terrain, and it was kinda magical how everything converged to to make that moment.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Banjo-Kazooie was added to Smash Bros today.

When Kirby copies their power:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AkfamilyhomeAK/status/1169405320679981056

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I watched a video of that EDF thing everyone has been talking about, and when the golden space god descends, the commander orders you to take it under arrest and shoot it if it resists. :allears:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Dabbing is annoying and played out and lame etc, except somehow when Kyoko in River City Girls does it as an attack, it’s cool and good. I don’t know why.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

MisterBibs posted:

We were talking about crafting in the dragging-down thread, and one thing for this thread is how World of Warcraft handles your materials bank.

The game treats everything in your bank as on your person, which is one of those things you take for granted (not just in MMOs, but most every game with crafting) until you play one of those other games and realize how annoying it is that you need 10 golden bear asses to craft Golden Bear rear end Essenses, but you only took eight out, and you have to go back and forth and ugh.

WoW, though? You always have those golden bear asses on you, because it's in your bank. It's a (semi?) recent QoL change that more games (again, not just MMOs) should do.

They’ve done a bunch of QoL changes over the years. Most quest items now go into some offscreen bag with infinite space. Before this was in WoW, I saw something like that in the Warhammer MMO. In that there was a separate tab you clicked to, not an invisible thing like WoW.

They’ve made looting much easier too. If someone from you faction attacks an enemy, you and others from your faction can attack it too, and you’ll all get your own loot from it without having to group up. If the monster is a named guy who part of a quest objective or a rare spawn, you don’t even need to be from the same faction, unless you have pvp mode activated. (PvE and PvP sergers are no longer a thing. Now you head to a capital city and activate “War Mode” which phases you into a PvP version of your server until you deactivate it at any rest area.) If a quest involves picking up objects off the ground, most often you and other players each see your own versions of the objects so there’s no competition. I think this somewhat applies to ore deposits and herbs that you gather for professions too.

If you kill more than one monster, you no longer have to individually loot each one. Click one, and you’ll see the loot tables of every lootable corpse in a certain distance.

The skinning profession is the one relic of the old system I think. Once a beast corpse has been looted, the first skinner to click it gets the leather, and it disappears. They’re looking into changing it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Semus was present for the destruction of Dark Aether, Phaaze, Zebus, and SR388. Zebus was destroyed by the Space Pirates. Phaaze was arguably the unintentional, unpredicted consequence of killing a load-bearing boss. Dark Aether was, from a certain perspective, only half a planet. So that’s just one and a half planets intentionally rendered uninhabitable.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Re death by falling monsters: Hotline Miami’s final boss shoots himself in the head before you can move in to kill him, and if you approach him from the wrong way the bullet will hit you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
About the carpenter and carpenter’s mate of the Obra Dinn: In one vignette I found two people, a black guy and a white guy, both in the carpenter’s workshop obviously doing carpenter things. According to the manifest, both were American.
The next clue the game provided was that was in another scene. During an attack by crab-riding seaweed monsters, in a scene with a few talking characters, one yells “Come on, boss,” another voice tells him to get down, and then the first yells “Here, catch!” Both spoke in American accents. Then I have to recognize that the enthusiastic guy is the white guy being speared as he throws an axe, recognize him from the carpenter’s workshop, and then realize that since he refers to the other as “boss,” he’s the mate.
I didn’t work all that out. I thought that it’s 1803, and even though it’s a British ship, the black guy probably isn’t in charge, and didn’t get the confirmation until switched their names in the journal. Am I an rear end in a top hat? :ohdear:

A great WTF moment from Obra Dinn: The first victim of the Kraken is wrung to death while taking a dump off of a balcony on a lower deck. Before they show you the scene, you hear clothes rustling, a sigh of relief, and then farting transitioning into horrifying bone-crunching :gonk:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve returned to Return of the Obra Dinn to finish it. You identify each body on the ship and match it to a name on the manifest and work out their fate; if they’re alive and where they are, or more likely dead and how and by who if applicable.

The first few fates that the game shows you are very simple to work out, to ease you into how the game works. But before you do any of that, the game lays another character’s fate right in front of you in a way that’s still kind of obscure because you’re probably not looking for it: The introductory letter at the start of the notebook that explains your mission is from the ship’s surgeon, who asks you to send your findings to an office in Morocco. His signature is right on it and then right there near the top of the ship’s manifest, all just spelled out . When I figured out I started laughing and then kicking myself for not seeing it. I haven’t seen other people going through the first couple minutes do it either.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Dec 5, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

The Zombie Guy posted:

I can't count how many times I've been playing a game where I've had to kill a wolf or attack dog, and my wife has heard the yelp of pain from another room.

"What the gently caress was that? What did you do to that dog?"

My Mom got real disconcerted when she came into the room and saw a big ol’ hammer and sickle on the Red Alert 2 pause screen.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I liked this Easter egg sequence in Shovel Knight: King of Cards. There aren’t any upgrades or collectibles, just a weird, fun sequence with a lot of little dialogue options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckhk2F3GiU

The music totally syncs up with the singing at the end.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Dec 16, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In the original Shovel Knight campaign, a bard’s lost music sheets are scattered across the game, which you can collect and return them to him.

During the new King of Cards campaign which serves as a prequel, King Knight gains control of an airship, and many NPCs including the bard join him. At the end, King Knight betrays everyone to accept the Enchantress’ offer of kingship. Following that is a scene of her minions attacking the airship, and the bard trips and drops armfuls of music sheets overboard in the chaos.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Dec 16, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m playing through the Link’s Awakening remake. There was a mandatory puzzle in the second dungeon that was kind of bullshit. You had to kill three enemies in a certain order to get a key, and your clue was a hint statue that said “First, Stalfos. Last, Pols Voice.” Zelda fans might know that the former is a skeleton and the latter was a rabbity thing, but there was nothing in the game or the instruction manual to hint at this. You would need the manual for the original NES Zelda to learn what a Pols Voice was. In the remake, they change the hint to clarify the “undead Stalfos” and “imprisoned Pols Voice.”

The game has the Color Dungeon that they added in the Game Boy Color version, and they changed it to be more friendly to colorblind people. Originally, the skeletons barring the entrance asked you what color their tunics are before they let you pass, and they no longer do that. There are some color switch puzzles that now have shapes that change with the color, and the hint statues tell you to make everything a square rather than making them blue.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jan 6, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I enjoyed Clanker’s Cavern, which is a sewer level.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

haveblue posted:

I loved the God of War 3 chain because as you climb it it fades to black and back in several times to communicate how epically long the chain is, but every time it did that it just made me think of Kratos getting increasingly exasperated with how long it's taking. Also don't you have to climb it more than once? Kinda takes all the impact out of it.

One of the planets in Metroid Prime 3 has moons attached to it with chains, those are pretty big.

Kind of weird how Metroid Prime lets you scan nearly every standout object for a small bit of lore, even if it’s just to talk about how it’s uniquely mysterious and inscrutable to your scanner, but you can’t scan those.

The backstory of the planet concerns an apocalyptic war between scientists and magic users, but neither side is credited with whatever the hell those crazy things are. I don’t think there’s any lore on them at all.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Jan 31, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat, I must have missed where it said that. I just assumed it was a robot world because that's all you ever see there, but I guess it's just the robots left over from all the biological life killing each other?

The moons are from the first world after the intro, with the lava-like “fuel gel” pools and the lizard creatures who I think might be the devolved remnants of that race, and the frustrating giant statue as the main boss. The robot world is the second one with the sky city.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The best fake ending is Kid Icarus: Uprising, because it seems like the actual ending to a kind of short launch title where the replay value comes from scouring for unlockables and random drops and upping the difficulty.

But nope! The real main bad tears down the credits. You’re only 2/5 of the way through.

And then, a few levels later, it starts to get really crazy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Was God of War the game that started the trend of giving every hack ‘n slash protagonist sudden context-sensitive bouts of Hercules strength?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
WoW has some new content where you enter a Lovecraftian Old God’s vision for the future made manifest in a dream world, fighting you way through versions of the faction capitols after the leaders succumbed to his influence. The fact that there are still a number of sane characters who you help escape actually makes it more bleak than if everyone was just dead or corrupted, since there probably isn’t anywhere they could hide for long and any revenge you get for them is completely hollow.

I just think that the atmosphere is surprisingly compelling for repeatable content you use to upgrade a legendary cloak.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Doom Eternal's ballista weapon makes some good-rear end sounds when you charge it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Disco Elysium: Deciding to go pantless, most likely in search of wacky reactions, doesn’t change anything. They did not, in fact, write pantless dialogue for any character, except a line when you meet your no-nonsense partner. The game says, if he hasn’t reacted, no one will.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night handles water exploration pretty poorly.

You start able to swim at the surface without diving. In order to explore underwater, you first have to get a shard that is a random drop from an aquatic enemy. It allows you to shoot a water jet that can propel yourself in any direction in the water. You float back up with out this, so you can’t open chests or go through some gaps that require another ability that uses the same slot as the jet.

To fully explore water areas, you need a passive shard from a boss that causes you to sink and walk on the floor. You need the water jet to reach him, I think. I think it’s the only random drop you need to beat the game.

Once you get it, you’re too heavy to propel yourself with the water jet. So you have to go to the menu and switch it on and off as you explore the waterway areas.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Make-A-Wish set up a Total War fan to visit Creative Assembly a while back, and they let him design a character for Total War: Warhammer 2, Alastar the White Lion. He’s mostly the standard High Elf Prince that you can recruit to lead an army, with the same skill tree and mount options, but has a unique model and a couple traits based around the White Lion infantry.

An upcoming DLC expands the High Elf roster. One of these new units is the White Lion Chariot, pulled by the actual lions from which the infantry take their name. It’s not out yet, but several streamers have access and have gone through everything. They found that they made sure to go back to our boy Alastar and add the White Lion Chariot as a unique mount option for him :3:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I don’t pay much attention to Mk,have they made the - Robocop Vs Terminator comic - look, an option?
Still have those comics in mint condition,as well as the little cardboard cutouts in between pages.

The new DLC was just announced. I think all we have so far are two trailers, one for story and one for gameplay that just came out yesterday, so I don’t think we’ve seen the customization options yet.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve not played Mass Effect, but my vague impression of it feels like it would be a good template for an RPG about an Inquisitor.

Speaking of which, they came out with a game based on part of the Eisenhorn trilogy in 2016 and it made no impact that I ever saw. Did anyone play it?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've heard GW keeps a tight leash on their IPs, so I it seemed they wouldn't allow named characters to be touched or the status quo changed. In Dawn of War 2, the main chaos guy Abaddon the Despoiler showed up in couple cutscenes to give orders, and it was a big deal. Then in the Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 campaign, you are guaranteed to kill Abaddon, basically winning the current 10000 year war against Chaos, or a freaking Primarch, or both if you're playing an alien.

The Total Warhammer games allow crazy shifts in the status quo, but they're mostly due to the sandbox nature of the campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has any game ever had a mode which turns all the enemies into morons? As in they're not easy but they are comically dim?

They could take the pin out a grenade and run at you while still holding it, dogpile and crash their cars together, shoot at nothing in particular, or run around making whooping noises.

Some of the Mario Karts had a Blooper item that squirts ink on everyone's screen, and it causes the AI to swerve pretty wildly. They could have made it useless in single player, but it affects them enough that I was actually happy to get one.