Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
It's still the wrong thread, though.

I'm playing the witcher 3 now when I get a little time for games and I really love how every single side quest I've done is story or world based. I finished one recently that was pegged as a "go clear some monsters out of my house" random quest I got off a board and then it turned into this whole big thing with a character from the previous game and multiple sections and at the very end I sat down and realised that it was just a piddly side quest. Blew my mind, because honestly I don't really care about game mechanics or graphics or loot or levelling up, all that poo poo should either enhance the story or just try to stay out of its way. So this is basically the perfect game for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Screaming Idiot posted:

You've convinced me to buy this game.

The Witcher 3: Came for the troll farts, stayed for the GOTY

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

You guys won't believe what I did after playing postal 2

Or maybe you will, because I'm a functioning adult who can distinguish between games and reality

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

Witcher 3

There's a murder mystery quest and Geralt gets caught up in the affairs. When you out the killer, their punishment is to be strapped to the rocks by the shore and be devoured by the monsters there like Andromeda. A dozen hours later and I'm by the shores of the isles and find the killer's character model strapped lifelessly to one of the rocks.

Nice bit of detail to what could have just been flavor text.

I never got to see that, I can't remember what lead to it but her son is about to take the blame and to spare him she jumps off the cliff to her death. So i never got to see that. There are a whole bunch of ways TW3 can change, such a great game

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

It depresses me that the concept of a "protagonist" seems so difficult to grasp.

I can understand a grown man or woman being told "protagonists are the goodies, antagonists are the baddies!" when they're a kid and just never really revisiting that because they think books are for nerds or whatever. But to be gently corrected and then get into a debate over it, never once just googling what the gently caress it means even though a bunch of people are telling you you're wrong, suggests a pretty hilarious amount of over confidence. What else must have fallen through the gaps over the years and been protected by overblown ego?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Anecdotally, after a Persian king beat an Egyptian army, he taunted the prisoners by throwing cats at them.

Truly history's greatest monster

The ancient sources for the battle itself aren't great, and the bit about throwing cats appears to be a recent invention.

http://elektratig.blogspot.com/2014/01/did-cambyses-have-cats-nailed-to-his.html

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Oct 15, 2018

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

packetmantis posted:

ITT the last South Park fans in their special enclosure

the enclosure is large enough to roam but they still always wind up just huddled together in the middle

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I'm playing the witcher 3 again and I just had an interaction with an NPC who was blocking access to a quest item, and the dialogue options were essentially "I'll pay you", "Get the gently caress out of my way", or a skill-based persuasion attempt. None of those options really fit, but there was an optional dialogue path that let me ask them what was going on. They told me the situation, and a brand new option appeared: "Let me help you with that". It feels way more natural and flexible than most other dialogue-heavy RPGs I've played where you feel trapped into awkward polarised dichotomies or the neutral "Hm. That seems fair." option that, once clicked, suddenly becomes something unexpected like "Hm. That seems fair, you pustulent sack of rotting paedocock"

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Dec 2, 2018

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

The next quest given after the prior one was to find the guy's dumb goat, and he wouldn't help me until I found it. I kept hammering the "get hosed, I'm not looking for your goddamn goat" answers until we reached an impasse. The dialogue ended and I thought I'd just been forced into it, but then I couldn't figure out where the bloody goat was -- until I realised I had to go back, talk to the guy again, and say "Fine, I'll find your loving goat" to be able to continue with the quest. I'm playing it in a different language so the post-dialogue confusion was partly my fault, but I did like that you could 'fail' out of the proper steps of a core quest by playing in character and then recover it again, still in character

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Marvel's Spider-Man

I love the indestructible citizens of New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJVY7ZfYUQQ&t=12s

Huh. The voice actor sounds a lot like Jason Ritter (Dipper from Gravity Falls).. but it's not. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0523180/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

oh well