Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I have a similar problem with Hotmail, got Live when I was 16 and with a stupid Hotmail account. I can't remember my password because I haven't logged into it since 2007 and my secret question is gibberish because one of my dumb friends kept guessing my secret questions and signing me up to spam.

I don't play my Xbox any more but I can't cancel Live from my Xbox because I need my email password to sign in to Live whereas I didn't have to before. I rang support but they can't do it for me because they need the details of the debit card I used ten years ago on the other side of the country. Why can't I just say 'hi, my name is xxxx, my username is xxxx, my email is xxxx and my bank account number is xxxx, please stop my service, cheers'?

I think I've cancelled it through the bank, I'll find out at the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Also the boss' lyrics can apply to Raiden equally.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

^^ That's amazing and I'm quite surprised they did that. Older versions of the Football Manager series used to have rare events like players fighting or punching the ref leading to a long ban but removed it due to potential for legal action. Even something as tame as being absent for training after being spotted in a nightclub in the early hours will only happen to generated players.

3 posted:

The non-lethal alternative is the fact that you can teleport and your pursuers cannot. Dishonored was really good at breaking the quicksave/quickload habit instilled by older stealth games because it gave you a mountain of options once poo poo went pear-shaped and you needed to make a quick exit. My favorite moments in that game were when I hosed something up and had to improvise a hasty retreat.

Completely agreed, the best games are ones where you can just roll with what happens.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Jul 29, 2014

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

And the broken mirrors because he can't stand to look at his new, robotic self.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Dead Space 3, related to above: and then she was totally fine and it's never explained how! Just gently caress it, she got out, I guess. Ruined it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

"How the hell did you get elected?"
"Well, I don't write my own speeches"

"You're not evil... YOU'RE BATSHIT INSAAAAAANE"

He's come a long way from "did you say 'nerd'"?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I haven't played it yet (I only have a PC) and I'm seriously considering playing it first-person only first time through. Is the new view good enough to hold up to that?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks, I'll give it a go and might switch during combat. I found the Just Cause 2 first-person mod similar, looked spectacular but it made the combat very difficult even on easy. GTA is likely to be less dogpile-from-every-direction combat so might manage it. Also, mouse aiming.

I always drive cockpit view when I can so I can't wait for that GTA-style.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I would be all over Harry Potter games made more in line with Bully but it just wasn't to be.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Alouicious posted:

the majority of video games have bad writing

the majority of books, movies, tv shows, and plays also have bad writing

Sturgeon’s Revelation, man.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

No joke, I actually went back to Gamestop and exchanged my Arkham Asylum disc for a new one because I was convinced it was defective. Every time the graphical glitches came up I freaked out and dashboarded immediately, because I thought keeping the game running would gently caress my Xbox up something fierce. So it never got to the replaying the intro part.

Looking back on it, I'm kind of surprised the clerk let me make the exchange and didn't just say something like, "Haha dude, you fell for it?!"

My Dad tried to exchange Metal Gear Solid because of the screen going blank and HIDEO appearing in the corner during the Psycho Mantis fight.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I added real cars and brands to Euro Truck Simulator 2 so I'm one of those horrible people, too.

One of us...

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Wrong thread.

Erm, your ship in Sunless Sea has correct port and starboard lights?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I liked the AC series better before every game was "this dude's ancestors all collectively knew every famous person in history". Like, throw in a cameo to make it unexpected and interesting, sure. Have someone pull a high-profile politician's strings behind the scenes using a proxy, great. Instead it's turned into George Washington fanfiction, and witnessing the death of every famous pirate in the Golden Age. It was easier to deal with when it was stuff like Leonardo da Vinci just being your weapon upgrade guy.

Hmm, considering that Ezio was nearly offed by Niccolo Machiavelli, punched out Rodrigo Borgia, killed several de Pazzis and knocked around with Caterina Sforza in the same game, I'd say this has always been a staple of the series. Connor does go a bit Forrest Gump but it's always been quite strong.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I keep bouncing off CK2 even though I liked Victoria 2, but this thread may just convince me to give it one more go. Mostly I just worry that I'm leaving stuff unchecked and will fail horribly.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

At the very least, the radio stations in GTA III and Vice City were single long audio files. Matter of fact, straight up MP3s in the PC versions - for VC you could simply change the file extension and you were good to go.

Oh, yeah, I remember burning them to 2 CDs and listening to them on the walk to and from school, most of them were just 12 minutes long but Chatterbox was an hour and the funniest thing of all time to 14 year old me. I could probably recite most of it from memory.

"Are you sane? Are you a sane caller?"
"Absolutely, Lazlow! Killer Bees!"
"K...killer bees. :smithicide:"

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

The way Trevor says 'twat' in GTA5.

Twaht

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

This is the internet, everything is absolutely amazing or irredeemably terrible with no middle ground.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Arx Monolith posted:

I don't usually get into Early Access games or Alpha and Beta state things, I buy em if they look really good and kinda check on them every month or so until they're done enough to play and enjoy.

I found a game last Friday and I can't stop playing. It's in Alpha 0.11 and good god drat. Stonehearth is like the Dwarf Fortress I've always wanted. Voxel graphics, full 3D, good camera control, easy UI. The errors I get (it IS in Alpha) are easily worked around and I only crashed the game out once trying something stupid just to see if it worked.
Anyway, the little thing is this and maybe its more common then I think but: The CEO of the company (it's 6 people now, up from 2 when the kickstarter exploded) does live streams 3 times a week of WORKING ON THE GAME. Last night I watched my first and I got to see him make and color and try out all kinds of new objects and recipes. He answered questions, he made jokes, he generated excitement without trying to sell us on it.
It's the first game I've ever had that made me look forward to what's coming next since Minecraft was updating frequently. I didn't realize how much I missed having something fun to look forward to.

This looks ace, straight on my wishlist.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I punched her in the first two but didn't in 3, Shepard looks like she's about to punch her put instead puts her hand on her shoulder and gives her the 'never give up' speech and she says something about Shepard being a violent rear end in a top hat most of the time, but thanks anyway.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Yeah, it's 2 and Brotherhood opens with it. It's actually not a good boss fight at all but it rightfully gets a free pass because of the whole 'punch the pope out' thing.

Kind of want to get back into rear end Creed after burning out with 5 games in 3 years. Is the general concensus Rouge and Syndicate good, Unity bad?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, were Unity's bugs ever fixed?

Never played it but I think it's now regarded as a solid, if lacklustre rear end Creed game.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I wasn't going to bother with FO4 after it followed FO3 over NV but this thread has made me remember that even if the story was lacklustre and the world didn't make sense, I had so much fun loving about in that game, enough to invest another 100 hours in another version (once the game's modded to the eyeballs).

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Rimworld was not on my radar at all until today, can't get into Dwarf Fortress and getting tired of waiting to see if Maia turns out well so may well pick it up.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

In Assassins Creed Syndicate, Evie and Jacob will give standard commands to the horse like 'Come on' or 'Whoa!' but if you just trot along they'll give a little bit of encouragement to the horse, my favourite being Jacob saying 'Who's a good horse? You are.'

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I remember thinking that it was kind of cool being told to meet outside Burger King in Need for Speed since it felt more natural than 'go to the marker on your map'. Having The King as the best trainer in Fight Night Round 3 was rather forced, though.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

In GTA3, the first car you get in is the Kuruma, which is a totally bog-standard boring Toyota-looking family car. I'm learning some Japanese for my honeymoon in 2018 and it turns out that Kuruma means 'car'. It's so generic that they just called it 'car'.

Unfortunately it's been ruined in GTA5 as the Kuruma is clearly the not-a-Mitsubishi-Lancer.

Also from Saints Row, 'genki' means energetic or healthy. :science:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

SevenSocks posted:

Sad little thing I discovered by accident.

Watch Dogs 2 is a game with a fair amount of watching and a decent amount of dogs. Sometimes random civilians will be walking their friendly, petable dogs through the bay area. Sometimes there are casualties. What was surprising for me to find out is that if the dog owner happens to die but the dog doesn't, they actually gave the dog an AI package to lay down and cry by their broken, dead body.

Hang in there little fella.

I'll drive a bus down a sidewalk in GTA without a thought but the first time I do this by accident in WD2 I'll be so sad.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Achievements are fun for those games that you don't want to quit until you do absolutely everything. So sure, I'll dive bomb under all the bridges cause it sounds fun.

Plus, it's nice when developers do fun things with them. Like in Portal 2, when you get to the part after she reawakens where Wheatley attempts to kill you. Where Glados points out that 'This is the part where he kills us', only for Wheatley to respond that 'This is where the part where I kill you', just as the music track "The Part Where He Kills You". A.K.A. The Chapter titled 'The Part Where He Kills You'. You get an achievement named 'The Part Where He Kills You'.

Achievement description: This is that part.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I always remember it as one of those games I forever toyed with buying but never actually did, like Spyhunter and Stuntman.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I really liked how The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone took into account that there's a good chance you won't have finished the main quest when you start it. You can talk to main quest characters about the mark Master Mirror puts on your face and it works the other way around! If you side with Master Mirror in the DLC, one of the rewards you can get from him is being straight-up told how to get the 'best' ending in the main quest.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The Dreadful Crimes missions in Assassin's Creed Syndicate are absolutely amazing. You play detective and solve murders, piecing together motives and method from the evidence you sniff out in the crime scenes. You can accuse the wrong people too, so it's always tense when you think you've got it worked out. They seem better written and designed than the rest of the game too. It's a bit silly that they were relegated to PS4 exclusive DLC.

The second one, where you gradually deduce that you're looking at a Jekyll and Hyde situation is :discourse:

I somehow played a couple of these on PC for free and I'll pick up the full thing if I get the chance, they're really cool and somehow feel out of step from the rest of the game like a slightly janky mod. It's nice to play a mystery in a game where you're not led around by the nose with no scope to get it wrong, very surprising to see it pop up in a game about jumping off buildings and stabbing people.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I was getting toward the end of Dishonored 2 and doing the standard videogamey thing where you pick up everything in the early stages so you've levelled up everything you'd ever want to so going out of your way to get that last power-up is just such an effort.

I was on the approach to Dunwall Tower and came across a safe/lock shop. Someone there is obviously a bit forgetful since there's a snarky letter telling them the code to one of their own safes. Use the code, take the loot, standard. Later, I find myself in the shop owner's house and he has a nice fancy safe of his own. The Heart is telling me that there's a rune in there but I don't know the code.
I have a poke around and can't see a note or anything with the code on like you would expect and at this stage I really can't be bothered to backtrack to his store to look some more when the reward probably won't be that useful to me. I was reminded of a story the legendary physicist Richard Feynman told about his time on the Manhattan Project. Bored, he'd got really into safecracking and being a clever guy he got very good very quickly. He set his sights on cracking the general's enormous safe that had to be delivered on a crane but ultimately has to concede it's just too hard for him. He hears that one of the janitors can somehow crack it and spends ages making friends with the guy in order to learn his incredible safecracking techniques. Anyway, the janitor didn't know a thing about safecracking; despite spending christ knows how much on this safe, the general never changed the code from the default factory setting, which the janitor knew. So I thought it would be ironic if the story was the same here, the forgetful owner of the safe shop was the worst with his own home security and had it set to something dumb like... 1-2-3. It opens first time. I thought that was great, a tiny, very human bit of character you can use to your advantage.

It turned out that there's a picture with the combo on but I didn't find it so that's not the only way to work it out but it's still cool.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Someone mentioned the horrible scanning minigame in Mass Effect 2 in another thread. I seem to remember that Uranus uniquely had no minerals whatsoever so there was zero point in scanning it or probing it, so when you ordered a probe to be fired at it the computer wouldn't do it the first time and would say 'Really, commander?' and if you pressed it again would say '...probing Uranus'. You could almost hear the eye roll, it was great.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

There are little gauges on the solar panels in Rimworld, if there's a lighting strike on the map, they'll jump up to max very briefly. I like that.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

In Yakuza 0, everything is subtitled as it's all in Japanese, with the name of the speaker always listed. Until the character you're playing learns someone's name, it'll say something generic like 'Threatening Man' or 'Dojima Goon'.

In one sidequest, Kiryu meets a small boy, named as 'Innocent Lad' in the subtitles who is too scared to buy something from a fancy vending machine in a dark alley. Kiryu volunteers to help and shock horror, the cool vending machine sells girly mags. After a bit of stealthing, Kiryu can go and buy it for him and upon giving it to the kid, his name in the subtitles changes from 'Innocent Lad' to 'Sophisticated Lad'.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I really appreciate that in the new Hitman games, XP and mastery levels you get for kills/challenges/discoveries you do are persistent even if you load a previous save so I don't have to do the whole level 5 times to get the rewards for 5 different kills.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The modern plot is a huge wet fart but it's still very clever that at the end of Assassin's Creed 2, while Ezio is talking to the Precursor who's basically just leaving a voice mail for Desmond in the future, she's looking straight into the camera instead of at Ezio the whole time, because she knows the Animus gets invented and Desmond's playing in a third-person perspective :haw:

I enjoy that in a world of people called Cesare, Leonardo and Lorenzo, Ezio has to say something like "What? Who is this... Deeeeesmand?"

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of AC games, I like how in AC:O they don't have male/female versions of armor and Kassandra just wears men's stuff too.

OTOH in Syndicate, when you either find or unlock the Aegis armour that only fits Evie, you get a great little exchange with Jacob commenting that he doesn't think it's quite his size and Evie replies "plus you'd look a right tit in it".

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I've only just discovered that the original Gran Turismo models slipstreaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ilmucche posted:

No way. does GT2 do the same? I would love to play them again but doing the licencing again would drive me nuts

I assume so, I'm trying to 100% GT1 before I move on because I loved them as a kid but mostly just farted about. You only need to get the bronze licence times to do all the races, which isn't too bad.