Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

McDragon posted:

Also there's a mission where you have to rescue a guy from your old base. He's gone crazy and he hits you and runs away whenever you try to get close. I found the solution completely by accident, but I should have known. Wear a box and he's like "Big Boss, I knew you were alive!" and then you can extract him. I liked that.
That's amazing and I wish I'd thought of it. Call me unimaginative but I just tagged him with a tranq dart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gann Jerrod posted:

Speaking of property damage and achievements, the Saints Row series has a minigame called Mayhem where the goal is to chain together the destruction of just about everything to reach a certain amount of money. In the first two games, the best strategy was to focus on fences, as each segment was separate and built up your chain bonus fast. Saint Row the Third pays homage to this by having the achievement for fully completing the Mayhem activity be called "Fence Killa 2011".
And not only that, the intro clip for Mayhem specifically mentions that you're going after a fence company.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

My favorite little thing about MGS5 are the anime posters all over my base. I keep ripping them down but they keep coming back! Goddamnit, soldiers.
You've checked the radial menu entries for your cardboard boxes, right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see someone's really looking forward to making a "lol look how worked up people get about SPOILERS for VIDEO GAMES" post.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Trying to make a point that if you stop taking the actual spoilers as legitimate and gloss over them they get discredited.
Or we could set things up in a way that we aren't required to post loads of white noise in order to drown out the unwanted information, I think that would altogether make for much better threads.

e: plus if we employed that as a policy everyone would know that whatever kicked off the latest round of noiseposts was the real deal and we'd be right back at "confirmation through reaction."

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Sep 19, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just got a volunteer on Mother Base who had an A+ medical rating and the Troublemaker (Unsanitary) skill.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I run with SNAKE WHISKEY.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And capturing outposts!

Boy, what I wouldn't give to have EDDIE HITLER.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So my commute leads through a freight station full of shipping containers. Today I started feeling vaguely uneasy looking at them, until I realized what I felt was the urge to fulton them all away. This isn't going to end well. Last time it was GTA3 and I couldn't walk past a parked sports car for months without at least feeling a little twinge telling me to jump in and make a run for it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

"Wow", I thought, "Ground Zeroes really is taking the tone of this series in a serious dark new direction!"
As much as I like MGSV, I have to say, it really doesn't follow up on that. At least not for the first 60 hours or so after the prologue.

e: the prologue is one of my favourite things in games. It's amazingly well done and super trippy. The Man Who Sold The World is the perfect song for it as well.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Sep 25, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trust me, it's not really any different if you know all the games. Matter of fact I don't think it ever really clears up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ChogsEnhour posted:

I've never showered (role playing) and that's not happened yet. I think (thankfully) rain and crawling around in water cleans you up as you go.
Rain does, but I specifically tried crawling in water once and it didn't seem to do anything. At least not for bloodstains but maybe stinkiness is a different stat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly, after listening to more than a few of MGS' superpower explanations over the years, as a whole the series is better off without them. One of the few times where they were used well was with Fortune, cause it was part of the plot and not just Kojima's design notes read aloud.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ElectricWizard posted:

The wedding-party sequence in the new Witcher 3 DLC is fantastic.
Reminds me: there's a mission in Saints Row 3 where you disguise yourself as the enemy military commander to infiltrate their base. The disguise includes changing your voice to his; Saints Row 3 allows you to pick one of seven voice sets during character creation, and they had the commander's VA record unique dialogue for each set, including the joke one that only does zombie grunts.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's one hell of a chill tune for a Robocop game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much every game that lets your character smoke cigarettes is good: Vanquish, Metal Gear Solid, The Saboteur, Deadly Premonition...
Grim Fandango, and I especially like the reasoning they gave in the manual. "Everybody who smokes in this game is dead. Think about it."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Similarly, I like games that don't have a set inversion for controllers but have a tutorial that says "okay, look up" without telling you whether forward or backward on the stick is "up" and sets your inversion to that setting since its what feels natural to the player. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I know I played one or two that way.
See, I think it's a great way to handle it, but every time it happens I get this brief flash of panic where I can't remember what I usually do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Since it is a thing in RDR and GTA V where a person distress waves you down and you try to help them only to end up getting shot at by a ton of bad dudes, it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional.
That reminds me of how every so often in RDR, usually after you've learned to react to cries for help from a lone woman by immediately opening fire, there'll be one such event where she really only needs a lift. Matter of fact it's probably scripted to occur.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought he was in the hub world.

Yeah Galaxy's great fun but the levels are much more distincly linear. Mario 64 had you run around big environments where you could explore and maybe even come across a different star than you went in for, in Galaxy it's more like they lay out specific courses using the same assets. Or at least that's how I remember it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel the same way about FLUDD, much like I do about Yoshi's flutter jump in Yoshi's Island. And, come to think of it, Peach in SMB2.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I realize I'm way late to Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system party, but I've been having a lot of fun with it. There's this one Uruk who started out as a complete nobody who just happened to kill me and became captain, lucked into a combination of traits that make him really hard to take down, and after meeting and failing to crack him a few more times, I finally realized the easiest way to deal with him would just be making him warchief. Best part is that he's a big fat idiot. We're sleeper agent buds now but I feel like I'll end up having to tell him about the rabbits.

Another one in the first half of the game was a complete pain-in-the-rear end wiry runt who started out as Ushbaka the One-Eyed and who I killed so many times that he started showing up with big stapled gashes in his face, and then eventually just wore a bag over his head, because apparently not even the Uruk could stand looking at him anymore. Anyone know where the Shadow of Mordor stories start in this thread? I'm sure there are a ton.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aw man, I read some old posts and now I'm sad I never got a "the Friendly" captain. Maybe I'll do some timeskips and see if one pops up that I can support.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm skipping cutscenes and the combat's fun, bite me. Not even up to Pulse yet. :colbert:
Don't skip the one when you return.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still have a copy of Eternal Darkness. I bet it's aged incredibly badly because it would make it seem like the volume was turning down on its own or the channel would change, but of course it used the sort of blocky monochrome green menu graphics that TVs had back then. Not a chance this would fool anyone today. In fact, I'm not sure it's still recognizable as a TV menu.

Not complaining, mind you. They had to take a gamble on whether your particular TV would have menus visually similar to their graphics, nevermind futureproofing them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That actually just expired last month (it was Namco).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's basically the entire gameplay of Kentucky Route Zero, which owns.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm really hoping they put "should we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?" as an easter egg in Dishonored 2. Then I can post about it in this thread.
I took a weekend trip the other day and in the neighborhood of my hotel there was a place called Whisky & Cigars. It took considerable restraint to not constantly annoy my companions.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

You've never seen a review that just amounted to "I promise it's good but don't spoil anything for yourself?"
Hell that's basically everything anyone ever said about The Witness. And Journey to a degree.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Even better, the PS1 shows black bars on the sides on their HDTV, and it requires you to use the d-pad to control it (because Crash predates the dual shock.)
I kinda had Drake pegged for a guy who would stretch the SD image to fit a wide screen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

I'm playing through Bully for the first time and in the boys dorm there's an arcade game that's a decently fun top down Death Rally style racing shooter.

Later on in the game there's a quest that I think might be fully optional where the reward is your own lighthouse crib off campus. I visited it for the first time and saw a much cooler version of the arcade game from the dorm, this one with a seat and wheel and I noticed the name on the side now says "3D". I play it and it's exactly the same game from the dorm but now in full 3D Wave Runner style graphics.

Its a really fun mini game and as far as I can tell there's no prompting in the game that you can play them at all until you try.
I'm pretty sure it's really the exact same game, except the camera's fixed above your vehicle in one version and follows it from behind in the other.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

17 m/second. Usain Bolt eat your heart out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Troy Baker boss just stops swearing.

*picks up rocket launcher* "Jeepers, this is peachy!"

It really is a shame about the lack of mission replay. I'm sitting here wanting to replay SR3 and 4 but utterly unable to decide which voice set to commit to for 50 hours. At least some kind of New Game +...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think even in 2 one of the employers for Mayhem is someone who just really hates fences, it must be a thing from SR1
There's a bit in SR3 where Kinzie calls you up and tells you you have to hit a fence company, and it goes something like "fence company, okay, so what do they..." - "no, an actual fence company."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

In Shadow of Mordor, creeping up on a captain that had bested me previously and hearing him gloat aloud about how awesome he was for managing to kill me. Unfortunately he was also awesomely vulnerable to stealth takedowns. :ninja:
I always like that when you listen in on street thugs in the Batman games. "Yeah, I fought Batman once. Broke my arm in three places, but the way I see it, lightning doesn't strike the same place twice."

The best one in Arkham Knight was one guy instructing his buddies. "Remember, if you see the Batman, yell and charge straight at him. Works every time."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm replaying GTA V in the PS4 version. It added a bunch of new songs, such as Cat's in the Cradle. And I don't know if it was just random animations playing out, but I swear I saw Michael wiping tears from his eyes when that came on the radio.

Less ambiguous: in an early game mission Michael needs to pose as an IT guy at a tech bro company and buys an appropriate outfit at a store, feeding the clerk a story about having a job interview. After that mission, if you ever revisit the store as Michael, she recognizes him and follows up on the story.

It's a very shallow game in many respects, but I'm pretty sure you could play it many times and never catch all the dialogue.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The actual gameplay mechanics are super shallow. The world itself is largely empty and has very little to do that isn't just driving around. It has impressive size and detail but is largely skin-deep as there's no meaningful way to interact with most of it. It's massive but that size actually works against it because the interesting things to do in the world are spread out extremely thinly. It's polished as hell and a very impressive achievement but it's got little to do in-world if you're not interested in just driving around causing things to explode. (And if you're looking to cause things to explode a lot of the competition is less polished but offers more options.)
Yep, this. I still think it's fundamentally a good and fun game, it's just that gameplay-wise, it's a more-or-less linear story with an incredibly detailed backdrop.

It's not helping that I'm coming at it straight out of Arkham Knight, which has just about the best sidequest/collectibles integration I've ever seen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've gotta say, however much of a shortcoming you think GTA V's lack of sidequests if, at least it makes it easy to go for a replay since the later story missions don't rely on you having a certain level of upgrades gained through side activities, so you can just breeze through everything. Doesn't count for much since there's mission replay, but if you pick the good heist members first time around, you're not gonna get the improvements on the bad ones through that if you pick different crews.

e: and if you do mission replay I'm guessing you're probably also not gonna get side conversations like post-mission phone calls, lifeinvader updates...

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Sep 1, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

either her or Barrett
I know what parallel universe I want to go to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Donkey Kong Country had a bunch of cheat codes that spelled BARRAL, DYDDY, BADBUDDY or DARBYDAY, using the up and down directions on the d-pad as U and D. DKC2 took it further and brought the Select button in the mix to make a 50 lives cheat code spell YA SAD LAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Fire Imp in Conker's Bad Fur Day gets annoyed if you type swearwords into the cheat screen.
If you enter a swearword as your name in sidescrolling SNES racer Uniracers/Unirally, it tells you NOT COOL ENOUGH. It also does this when you enter SONIC or SEGA.