Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The random info assigned in Watch_Dogs can be spookily precisient sometimes:

Look at the name too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

anuj posted:

This made me look up the current price point on SR4, and I wanted to mention that for the next 24 hours it's $9.99 on the Humble Store. Looking forward to starting this tonight.

In the last thread there was some discussion of Syndicate which made me want to pick it up. Good news is it's currently on sale for $5.99 on Origin: https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/syndicate-eap

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I picked up Sleeping Dogs again to play some dlc and I noticed that if you hang around the areas you've previously had massive fights at such as Club Bam-Bam there will be people talking about what happened but exaggerating or getting details wrong.

Eg: I heard he beat up ten guys by himself/I heard it was no less than fifteen/I heard it was twenty six if you only count the upstairs.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

Haha what? Where does this happen?

First time you go to Versalife iirc. The office drone will give you a keycard to the secret labs if you kill his boss for him. Deus Ex is one of those games where just about every response is thought out so if someone gives you a task that you've already completed/is now moot, they react accordingly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'll grant the lightning suit, but through Shagohod doesn't seem like a huge leap and those hover platforms actually had prototypes in the late 1950s :eng101:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiller_VZ-1_Pawnee

Every time I see something like this I'm amazed at the direction military vehicles could have gone in if a different person had been making the decisions about what to move forward with. It's fascinating.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sometimes?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

Didn't the PS2 era GTA games take advantage of the fact that all PS2s had a whole PSX on a chip inside them? I seem to recall that those games used all of that vestigial PSX's computing capacity to handle their audio processing.

I could be completely wrong, though.

Iirc only the first gen PS2 had the PSX chip, since the later ones dropped backwards compatibility.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Something I like about GTA 5 is just how much work they put into Michael responding to the player loving with his family as Franklin or Trevor. Pretty much anything you can do to the rest of Michael's family will get a response from him either via a text or a phone call (or he'll just yell at you if you're hanging out). There is the one everyone knows about where you shoot at his home (STOP FIRING ROCKETS AT MY HOUSE!), but he also calls and tells you you're a dick if you steal his daughter's unique car, texts you to stop creeping around if you hang out in his house when he's not there, and so on. It's great and a bit weird because there's really nothing like that for the other two!

In the same vein, I liked how loving with the other 2 outside of missions elicited unique dialogue and if you force say Trevor and Franklin to interact before they officially meet in the story the non player character will get justifiably creeped out by the stalker and after a couple warnings will punch you the gently caress out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Big Grunty Secret posted:

You can also see him on Broad City as an appropriately creepy locksmith.

"You don't need any credentials to be a locksmith, you just have to want it."

Even better he's got the mustache and wifebeater on. No greasy balding mullet that I recall though.

E: oh hey YouTube. I remembered wrong, he's basically in full on Trevor.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PPW_lwU_Hwc

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Apr 22, 2015

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

FauxGateau posted:

It's an accent! A slight Accent!

The best, smartest and toughest boy from the Canadian border region of America!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I can't decide if the surprising number of sexy French Mr Handy's is my favourite little thing or troll in FO4.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

So I just discovered you can hold down the right mouse button to swing your arm around while you have the pip boy up in Fallout 4.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

scamtank posted:

Is there any reason for it to be there? It seems an awful lot of extra effort for something completely pointless.

Nth Doctor posted:

Almost as though it's a little thing in a game?

This is the exact conversation I had with my gf when I discovered it. Just a cool feature that serves no actual purpose afaict other than "oh that's cool".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I've played AP all the way through and I had no idea the scenarios changed depending on your responses, I thought it just changed what they'd say to you. :aaaaa:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I'm playing through Bully for the first time and in the boys dorm there's an arcade game that's a decently fun top down Death Rally style racing shooter.

Later on in the game there's a quest that I think might be fully optional where the reward is your own lighthouse crib off campus. I visited it for the first time and saw a much cooler version of the arcade game from the dorm, this one with a seat and wheel and I noticed the name on the side now says "3D". I play it and it's exactly the same game from the dorm but now in full 3D Wave Runner style graphics.

Its a really fun mini game and as far as I can tell there's no prompting in the game that you can play them at all until you try.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Added the spoilers as Jojo may not have met them yet and the other 5 cliques are introduced right off the bat.
:tipshat:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I don't think one kook complaining about it counts as a shitstorm.

I know that was around the time of "Hot Coffee" in San Andreas so I wouldn't be surprised. Twas a different time.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided you have the option from the main menu to change your outfits for both combat and civilian sections of the game anytime you want. I did it when I was in Adam's apartment and noticed that whatever you switched to is now taken off his coat rack by the door and the one you were wearing is now hung up in its correct place, boots and all.

Though now I'm wondering what Adam does when you change clothes any other place. I like to imagine he's walking around with his extra coat rolled up under an augment. Maybe he has an umbrella there too in case it gets a bit drizzly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Cloks posted:

Valentine's day.

That's smart. They know their audience won't have any plans around then.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

dads_work_files posted:

I reckon The Saboteur did it pretty well. What a cracking little game that was. I loved the old French tank sat out in the countryside that you could inexplicably jump into and drive.

That little gem never gets enough love. It being stuck behind Origin instead of Steam probably isn't helping but it's really worth checking out, especially when it goes on sale.

My fave little thing there is probably how they use the colour palette to such incredible effect to represent progress. As you liberate Paris the environment goes from black & white to gradual glorious colour.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Dicking around in GTA 5 and I accidentally ran into a woman in a bikini smoking on the beach and knocked the cigarette out of her hand. After telling me off I then watched her reach behind her, pull another cigarette out of her rear end, put it in her mouth then reach into her rear end again and pull out the lighter. Lit the cig then reached back one more time to put the lighter back in her rear end.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

So the Scooby Doo and FRIENDS games are some stupid noodle-incident-type joke, right?

Nope.

Fans of the original show loved the game, feeling it was compensation for the N64 game released in 2000. The game also marks the first and only time Don Knotts did voice work for a video game

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby-Doo!_Night_of_100_Frights

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Well poo poo, I eat my hat then. No clue why I was only getting the cartoon up for google searches.

Probably something to do with that creepy groundskeeper. It's always the groundskeeper.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Crysis 3 continues this craziness by having you actually be playing as the nanosuit, controlled by the consciousness of a character from the previous games, with Crysis 2's protagonist's corpse still assimilated inside it. Like, the only other video game I have ever seen do something like that is SOMA, which is, y'know, a horror game.

edit: And in fact, Crysis 3 is so strangely similar to SOMA in that way that the ending almost pulls SOMA's opening plot U-turn in reverse. The game reveals near the end that the suit has gained the ability to shapeshift, and so it takes on Prophet's original human appearance while still retaining its powers. At the very end, they go so far as to say that the suit has improved itself so much since Crysis 2 that it can change its physical form into literally anything. The plot in those games is just nuts, man.

I believe this is also the plot of The Tuxedo, starring Jackie Chan.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

At least they put their stuff on sale constantly, and if you hunt around you can get some ok deals. Otoh, I'm pretty sure that Deadpool game will never ever go on sale for lower than $20.

I got that for $2.50 on steam over a year before the movie came out. They just re-released an old game to tie into the movie. It's not very good if it's an consolation. I had more fun with the Wolverine: Origins beat-em-up.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Spalec posted:

HEY HEY, COME ON OVER HAVE SOME FUN WITH CRAZY TAXI

*YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH* :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3GEK5q8yzM

I hope the HD remaster sold badly entirely because they couldn't be bothered to license the proper soundtrack.

The proper soundtrack only has two songs the cheapskates.

SAID IT BEFORE I'LL SAY IT AGAIN IF YOU KEEP LISTENING IT MIGHT MAKE SENSE

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

According to IsThereAnyDeal.com, the last time it was :10bux: (the lowest it's ever been) was January 2014 on Gamefly, which didn't correspond with any major release of something Deadpool, at least that I can find.

I definitely didn't pay that much for it but 2013-14 sounds about right. My roommate at the time was huge into comic books so I probably got it on his advice.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Is a man not entitled to the depths of his field?

RBA Starblade posted:

No, says the developer who couldn't be bothered to adjust it for the pc port

Strategic Tea posted:

No, says the indie hipster as he creates pixel art

SomeJazzyRat posted:

No, says the console manufacture, it belongs to us.

Just Offscreen posted:

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...meadow.

:golfclap: you're all made of stars

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

What happens when you put someone in a chokehold and then just do nothing? Well, it gets awkward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeqskaJ9Ek4

I've been meaning to do a post on these. My faves so far are "your arm is so thick and warm it would make a great scarf. Ughhhh just kidding" and "man this suit is so soft, what's the material?".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Has bio played the best and most effort-full licensed game, Enter the Matrix?

I unironically enjoyed that along with the Gamecube version of Minority Report and the Xbox version of that Jason Bourne game.

Bio please play those and give us your thoughts? I'd love to see those through modern eyes.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't. I HAVE played it and I'm telling you you're happier not inflicting that mess upon yourself.

I had loads of fun with it :kiddo:

Will admit to being the dumb kid who also found value in the N64 Mission Impossible game so maybe I've just got a blind spot for licensed Tom Cruise properties (That's he's too much of an rear end in a top hat to let feature his face or voice so we always end up with "not quite Ethan Hawkes but kinda if you squint").

E: This video sums it up well. I can see how it looks stale in retrospect but there's a lot of rear end in a top hat physics, a lot of breakable things to throw people through and off, plus the jetpack. Cut straight to 1:53 to see some awesome swing-fu too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhBaPp9LAus

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Dec 12, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Are you sure it isn't "Tom Cruise is WAY too expensive for this poo poo"? That makes more sense than just refusing, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is indeed what happened.

No, he straight up has always refused to let his likeness be attached to a video game. Maybe it's a scientology thing, I dunno.

Old article from MTV (don't laugh) posted:

The common link between both movies isn't just the studio behind them, but their star: Tom Cruise. He has never appeared in a video game or even on the box art for a game, neither for 1987's "Top Gun" NES game nor the 2006 game based on the same movie, not for the one "Mission: Impossible" game released since Cruise began starring in the movie series, and not in 2002's "Minority Report."

http://www.mtv.com/news/1529606/video-games-are-one-mission-tom-cruise-wont-accept/

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

but...rear end in a top hat physics

have you tried the Mission:Impossible : Operation Surma on the Xbox? I've only tried the demo but I liked it as a basic stealth game.

No I never had an Xbox until the 360. Wiki tells me it's officially worse than the n64 game which while it wasn't a great game had enough little well done things (eg. level design and the face mask integration) that I found it an enjoyable game which fits the tone of this thread. (I'm trying to not cause an actual derail into discussing crappy movie tie-in games in general and more into the type of overlooked but little gameplay things that make it worth discussing as per BioEnchanteds Pitfall experience).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Cloks posted:

Tom Cruise is in Lego dimensions. There's a Mission Impossible level that uses voice clips from the first movie.

There's probably a thing where the Lego version of him doesn't need him to sign off on it since it isn't directly his likeness, it would be the studio licensing the character itself which the use of audio clips seems to support.

That aside, that sounds awesome. I've not paid much attention to the Lego games since one of the earlier Lego Star Wars.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

When I'm a billionaire I'm gonna pay the goldeneye to perfect dark era Rare employees whatever it takes to get back together and pretend it's 1999 again.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just pay into the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter like everyone else did :yayclod:.

No, seriously.

That's like an aspirin to the morphine dose I'm craving.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

One of my favourite little things in Twilight Princess is that Nintendo didn't include a swear filter allowing many gigglable moments.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

This might be a bit of a stretch but I just launched Hitman 2016 and saw there was a special holiday themed assissination mission. The briefing is:

The crooks names are Bagnato and Gonif. Gonif I already know is the yiddish word for "thief" which got me curious about Bagnato. Google tells me it means "moist or wet". They're Americans who had to leave the country after a series of "botched break-ins". Your targets for the Christmas mission are the Wet Bandits.

E: I just realised their names are also literally Harry and Marv which were the character names in Home Alone too. Guess it's not that subtle after all.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nohman posted:

One of the challenges is knocking one of the thieves out three separate times with a thrown brick. Dudes just cannot catch a break from mischievous multiple grievous head injuries in a single night.

I was wondering why I was getting so many bricks as presents. I figured they were just the coal stand in. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Whooo!

Also watching Tim Curry nearly bust up gets me every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

*suppressed giggle*

*suppressed giggle*

SPACE!