Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lobok posted:

I like puzzles that make use of the game's usual mechanics or the character's abilities. Using your axe inventively and expertly in God of War was great. Turning cranks and pushing boxes was not.

This is the deciding factor imo. Breath of the Wild was great for letting you use game mechanics to solve puzzles in unconventional ways. You could push around a bunch of electrically-charged boxes to connect metal tiles and complete a circuit as intended, or you can just drop all your metal weapons, shields, etc in a line from the beginning of the intended circuit to the end and be done with it, just for one example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One little thing I like about Ghost of Tsushima is that when you’re clearing a Mongol encampment and you’ve taken out most of the enemies, you have the option to just shout at the remaining bad guys to come get you, so they all run to you instead of you having to run around the whole camp a dozen times looking for the last ones

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Another thing I like about Ghost of Tsushima arrows is that if you block an arrow, obviously you can’t Star Wars it and intentionally deflect it towards an enemy, but if it happens to hit an enemy while spinning through the air after you block it then it will still do a little damage and throw them off-balance

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wasn't planning on grabbing Ghost of Tsushima so soon but my will gave out after folks have been praising it so much. Something cool I hadn't seen mentioned, they have a "Kurosawa mode" available right from the opening setup screen that puts the game in black-and-white, balanced to look like old films, even overlaying film grain and scratches. Just straight-up awesome looking.

e: something else I've never seen before, photo mode still leaves sound and physics running by default, so I paused that scene but there's still fires raging, trees and scarves blowing in the wind, etc, while I pan around the battlefield :aaaaa:
It looks incredible, and it's even toggleable in the photo menu so you can still set up the exact photo you want.

It also adjusts the audio to sound more like an old movie too. It doesn’t always work 100% of the time but when it does it’s fantastic, I switch between it normal mode a lot but make sure to always have it on during climactic duels and things of that nature

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like using Ghost Weapons kind of ruins that feel for me because it's a lot less cool and choreographed when you just drop a smoke bomb and then chain kill half the group.

I basically never use them, or stealth in general unless a mission forces me to, because the basic combat is so much fun. It feels really easy when you’re doing well but just one slip-up can be fatal so it’s always tense and engaging. I was worried from gameplay videos that it was going to be “press the counter button for an instant-kill animation” but it’s actually really exciting

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

"I'll try flexing three times, he'll never see it coming"

To be fair I do fall for that like a quarter of the time

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

ah well,i haven't heard many good things about Epic.

You don’t have to give them anything but an email address to claim free games, and you can link your account to GOG Galaxy so you can use the Galaxy launcher instead of theirs. I was suspicious too but if all you want is the free stuff you don’t have to really give them any information or deal with them at all aside from going to the website and clicking to claim the game

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked that Watch Dogs 1 used the little bio it gives you for each NPC to make all the security guards insanely evil, presumably so you can still be the good guy because the rent-a-cops aren’t just random Average Joes working for the paycheck, your little phone thing helpfully tells you that every single one of them is a violent criminal who’s been convicted of or is wanted for murder, rape, domestic abuse, everything else under the sun.

Once it told me a random guard was an escaped Serbian war criminal

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Fair. And that scene is brilliant, especiallyif you figure out that you don't have to kill anyone, just scare them off. I fired off a few warningshots into the air because that seemed like a normal thing to do, and was floored when it actually worked.

For some reason it didn’t occur to me to fire unto the air, so instead I did it the stupidest way possible. I was still annoyed by the game forcing you to drop WP on what was very clearly a big crowd of civilians earlier so I figured it was doing the same thing where it just wouldn’t let me progress until I shot them, so I fired one round into one guy’s leg and then stood directly in front of the other teammate so he couldn’t shoot through me and none of the crowd actually died. The dialogue still assumed that I massacred them all because I guess they didn’t anticipate someone saving the crowd in the dumbest way imaginable, but I was still pretty amused that it worked, for a certain definition of the word “worked.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always laugh when I think of Arthur and co. trying to keep track of weird altered items way back when. Like, I dunno, a plow that eats people.

It was probably a lot easier for people to accept back then tbh. Just assume it’s enchanted fairy magic or something and no one would bat an eye at that explanation