Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tiny little thing in games in The Last of Us that I just noticed on my most recent playthrough. In the section where you're playing as Ellie, there's a moment during the segment where she and David are defending themselves in a house where she gets QTE grabbed. The zombie goes for her shoulder but David shoots it off before it can bite her, and when control returns to the player Ellie rubs her neck where it was about to bite her. It's such a tiny and inconsequential animation that someone must have thought of putting it in there on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SmashiusClay posted:

[re: the last of us] I've just played through the sequence where, if you stand around too long in certain spots, she will get bored and pull out a joke book. Hearing Joel groan at her terrible puns is a lovely bit of characterisation.

Quoting this from way back in the thread but I just came upon this and man are these little moments pure gold.

"People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow.

...too soon." *puts joke book away*

edit: Haha god dammit here's a totally different little thing. The game has collectibles in the form of notes and documents, and there's one point where a character's cohort who has betrayed him left a note for him to find later. When you find it, it counts as a collectible. If you read it and show it to him, he takes it from you, which removes it from your collectibles tally; then after reading it he gets pissed and crumples it up and tosses it. Then you can go pick it up from the corner and it's put back and counts in the tally again. :haw:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Sep 25, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Peace Walker has secret Monster Hunter missions in which you fight Monster Hunter dinosaurs who rarely drop Monster Hunter weapon parts to make Monster Hunter guns. Also if you have a ration with you, there's a campfire you can cook it on near the edge of the arena complete with the music and minigame from Monster Hunter. Cooked rations heal you for more than the highest quality researched rations do.

edit: You unlock this mission chain by going up to a cat from Monster Hunter that shows up in one area and using the "MEOW, MEOW, MEOW" codec communication option. Doing this also unlocks a special second "MEOW, MEOW, MEOW" that has a special effect that I can't remember.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh dear now I know how this game ends. Does your dude's corpse get carried around on the end of a pike as Sauron's standard?

No, you kick his rear end and win actually. The "final boss" fight with him is actually like a 30 second qte encounter and it was a very disappointing ending to an otherwise almost fantastic game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the game is pretty much "hey chump remember that cool-rear end thing that a character did in Lord of the Rings well gently caress it now you can do it in this game".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Please play Prototype 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Missing Link posted:

Why are you spoilering a fighting game? Who cares about the story? You might as well spoiler Street Fighter.

Why is he spoiler tagging a special unique thing that happens in a video game that came out less than a week ago? Gee I wonder

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah! It was a little thing in those games, too!

Fighting games with a taunt button are great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I can play Shadow of Mordor in a window and scale it to whatever size I want when I want! :neckbeard:

This is something not a lot of games do, but it's very appreciated when I see it because it's kind of neat. I know Deus Ex: Human Revolution also does it, and so do the Sonic and Sega All Stars racing games, but I can't remember any more off the top of my head. For people without a whole lot of screen space, being able to physically resize the game window is a really nice boon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's also one thing I really liked about Sleeping Dogs. When you do something especially brutal enemies jump back and go WUAOHH because holy poo poo you just bent a dude's leg 180 degrees or speared a dude on a swordfish head.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The main complaint about the nemesis system is how videogamey it is, because it follows the trend of you very obviously killing a dude stone cold dead, but then they come back anyway because they're your rival or something. I had that complaint initially but the game at least tries to be like "yeah but there are only a few ways you can perma-kill orcs" and all you can do is shrug and go fine whatever.

If you can get past that, it's a really good game! It's just that... some people can't.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Oct 15, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

toasterwarrior posted:

the more I think of not bothering to get another good Assassin's Creed game for my library

Well there's only one good Assassin's Creed game so it's not like you have much choice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's by the WarioWare guys. That should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about why it's so fuckin surreal and weird.

Do note that it's also a really good game with a lot of funny stuff to do, it manages to be consistently entertaining whether you've got 5 people on your island or 30.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A thing I like about Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is that co-op changes based on who is playing as Big Boss.

If you are Big Boss and your friend isn't: You appear as Big Boss and your friend sees you as him.
If you aren't Big Boss and your friend is: They appear as Big Boss and you see them as him.
If you and your friend are both Big Boss: You appear as Big Boss on your screen while they are a generic soldier, and vice versa for them.

It's a nice touch to not force the host player to always be Big Boss, or have two Big Bosses spontaneously running around a la Dead Rising 2 just plopping in two Chucks and pretending one doesn't exist in cutscenes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sometimes Kojima pops up in the codec conversations too, albeit in a different way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThutNUSMDfY

KOJIMA IS GOD.... KOJIMA IS GOD....

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From what I understand, the gun that curses at you when you shoot things and calls you a fuckin oval office when you switch away from it is as accurate as it gets. Speaking of which, Borderlands 1.5 has more talking guns/items which I found pretty entertaining in the first one.

HAVE A GO YA MUG

AWW RAIGHT PUT EM IN ME

SEE YA AROUND YA oval office

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sorry that so many people keep enjoying the same video game and then post about said game in the PYF little things in games thread.

The system within the game that carries the entire game on its shoulders and was (and still is) a major selling point is in no way a little thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aphrodite posted:

Thread titles aren't literal.

The reason "PYF thing dragging this game down" had "Shut up about Dark Souls" in the title is because people wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls so I disagree.

That said, male genital mutilation is most of the time not so funny.

Jehde posted:

I miss when this thread was about little things, where I could post tidbits I find in games and not have it drowned out by "This orc keeps killing me!" ad nauseum. The nemesis system, combat, stealth, and parkour of Shadow of Morder are not little things. There have been a few legit little things from Shadow of Mordor that have been pointed out long ago, but now this has just become another Shadow of Mordor circlejerk thread. Is Shadow of Mordor the new Dark Souls?

I agree with this 100% please shut up about Shadow of Mordor it's a cool game but you're all just saying the same 3 things over and over and arrggghhh

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is true. Here is a little thing from Dead Space 3 which I tried in vain to livestream a while ago. Previous Dead Space games had this issue where you would either pick up too much stuff or your inventory would be full, and any health packs you didn't have room for would be left behind and be wasted, but Dead Space 3 improves upon this by automatically refilling your health/stasis when you pick one up and your inventory is full. It's too bad the game is kinda lovely otherwise.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He meant to say that there's one for psycho Chuck and one for co-op player Chuck. Which is true, there is! :v:

:respek:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well I mean, once you beat Arkham City you unlock a whole slew of Batmans Throughout The Ages to use instead of the default one, and some of them don't have capes I think! If you want your batbutt, you've gotta work for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's a great little foreshadowing thing in Dead Space 3 that I really liked. The game starts off in Isaac's lovely, run-down apartment building. After you leave, if you turn around before proceeding to the next area, you get a good look at the name of the place.

For those that have finished the game you know what this means, but for those that haven't, the final twist of the game's plot is that the true purpose of Markers and the necromorph infection is to cause a "Convergence event", in which all of the necromorph tissue rises up into the sky to create a necromorph moon that then devours the planet and all life on it. The game ends with Isaac and his co-op buddy fighting the completed necromorph moon in a last-ditch effort to stop it from signaling the other pre-existing moons that there is life to be gobbled up, in a final chapter called 'Blood Moon'.

The first chapter is jam-packed with similar foreshadowing.

(of course, this one is mostly because the first chapter takes place on earth's moon)

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Oct 27, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another little thing from Dead Space 3: There are a whole slew of extra difficulties you get for beating the game, and one of them is called 'Classic' mode, which strips out the gun crafting and co-op and forces you to only use weapons from previous Dead Space games. It's a pretty cool challenge that proves that once again you can beat the whole drat thing with only the plasma cutter, but that's beside the point.

The little thing is that, about halfway through the game, you get your hands on a Probe Gun which you have to use inside of a giant necromorph to do plot stuff. Usually this thing is a loving awesome and very formidable weapon even if it's only temporarily until you do the necromorph thing, but since it's not a previous Dead Space game weapon, in Classic mode they nerf its damage to a single lonely block (compared to the plasma cutter's default 15) so that it's absolutely useless against anything in combat. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That also happens in Max Payne 3. If you get a headshot on a dude near another dude, he'll go WUUAAAH and do a double take because his buddy just got his brains blown out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's a pretty ingenious little thing in Dead Space that I bet was on purpose. In the first game, the targeting reticle on the screen does not come from a point right in the center, the beam projects outward toward the center from where Isaac is aiming the gun. When you rotate the beam on the plasma cutter from horizontal to vertical and back, it rotates counter clockwise instead of clockwise, like this:

Since Isaac is on the bottom left side of the screen at all times, rotating the beam clockwise would throw off the player's aim because the reticle would rotate in a direction opposite where the enemies will be coming at him perspective-wise, from the right side to left.

Because of the FOV, if the beam rotated clockwise, the enemy would have moved out of it by the time the cutter rotated because the up-and-right motion is also the opposite direction they will be moving unless they're retreating, which enemies in Dead Space don't really ever do.

Dead Space 2 and 3 changed this by making Isaac's aiming be a faked animation and having the "real" target always be directly at the middle of the screen like any other shooter instead of making the shots come from him.

Alan Wake also does this by having the flashlight or gun aiming project outward from Alan meaning you're basically steering him like a forklift when you're in aiming mode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He also says "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fWr6CBARMw&t=11s

." when you turn it in. That entire mission is just great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
^This, but you totally should still buy it. Just not for 50 dollars.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of animations, yet another little thing from Dead Space 3: Isaac (presumably Carver too) has several animations for taking damage from enemies from different angles, in different parts of the body, and of different types of damage (slash, stab, blunt objects etc). They could've just had him do an "ouch I got hurt" recoil for the upper body whenever you eat a necromorph blade or whatever, but instead they took the time to make the damage appear locational.

<--- Also, my new avatar probably counts as a little thing somehow because they managed to gently caress up the writing quality in 3 so badly that the game is hilarious AND fun to play!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

Dead Space 3 had kinda crappy writing true, but there was one blend of QTE and writing I really liked - hammering the 'use' key to close a door before acidic gas kills you and your girlfriend; a girlfriend who, unfortunately, is on the other side of the room and won't be able to get to you. The way Ellie screams at you to save yourself and seal her in was pretty heartwrenching combined with the fact you had to force Isaac to do it. :smith:

Gunner Wright's performance as Isaac in that game is one of the few saving graces of the acting in the whole thing, especially the part you're talking about and just after it. You can really tell Isaac just hates everybody and wants to finally get the whole necromorph bullshit over with.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Little thing in Fallout: New Vegas: There's a little side-plot that went on with a super mutant and player companion Raul before he was rescued from Black Mountain in the form of a few notes around the camp. It tells the story of why Raul is imprisoned there, most importantly that he's good at fixing poo poo. Super mutants are kind of dumb, and this one in particular (named Cuddles for his ability to cuddle things to death) wanted Raul to fix a toy car of his to run like an actual car. After Raul explained this was not possible and that the super mutant is kinda dumb, it tried to kill him, but the most important thing is that the toy car itself is sitting next to the notes. If you don't read the notes it just says it's a normal toy car, but AFTER you read the notes it becomes labeled as 'Cuddles' Toy Car'.

And it's like, they didn't have to do that because there's totally no point, and yet they still did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Then there's the classic "Mario decides not to save the world and instead goes back to bed". Wish more games had that just as a comedy option.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell, it's better than Pokemon, where it gives you the option to refuse stuff like the Pokedex even though all that does is agitate the Professor Of The Week and basically make him go "loving take it" and shove it into your hands. I never understood the point of allowing you to say no if it just repeats until you say yes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want there to be less "heh look at this awesome ironic 80s aesthetic isn't it totally raditubular *neon pink and blue lasers*" and more of the same thing in a genuine sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuclear War posted:

I love Dishonoured so much, haven't been able to find anything about a sequel though, which makes me sad

There was some cool promo art released for a sequel but it turned out to be fake and sneakily made out of promo art from the first game. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

EmmyOk posted:

Did that Darkness of Tyvia stuff turn out to be fake?

There are no physical screenshots of it other than a single photo of a press conference slide show, and a bethsoft rep said “we don’t comment on rumour or speculation.” in response to being asked about it. The rest of the "information" that has been provided about it has been on promo art (see the article I linked) that is made up of Dishonored 1 promo art. I wouldn't say it's been debunked so much as it'd be a long shot to assume it's real from what we know about it.

edit: Also, here's where the slideshow and the fact sheet promo art came from in the first place (via neogaf)

quote:

The first email reads “That might be of interest for you. Cant tell my sources. Your choice.” and the second states that the images were “part of an internal presentation of Bethesdas E3 2014 coverage … We saw this as part of an interactive Powerpoint Presentation (more infos when they clicked on the fields, videos, etc).”

So, yeah. "I can't tell you my sources" is basically code for "this isn't real don't believe anything I say".

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Dec 7, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Happens at the very start of Fallout: New Vegas, too. The starting town is about to be raided by Powder Gangers (prison convicts with dynamite), and you find this out by walking in on a conversation with the roaming gang's leader and the lady that runs the saloon in town. He's basically talking about how he and his friends are gonna burn the town to the ground if they don't give up the guy that the gang is looking for. You can murder the poo poo out of him right there and the response you get from the lady at the bar is "Thanks, but I hope you didn't do that for fun :stare:"

Then you can go up the hill to where the guy they're looking for is hiding and your opening line to him is "A guy named Joe Cobb was looking for you, but I killed him. :geno:" and he reacts the same way. :allears:

Starhawk64 posted:

Anyway, I did like how some games had different dialog for already completing a quest's objective before starting it. "I need you to find this thing for me." "Actually, I already found it." "You did? Huh, good job." It's a great thing, and sometimes I like to see how many quests I can complete before activating them.

Since you can pick up sidequest objects whenever in Xenoblade because they're permanent world objects, the game is absolutely full of this kinda stuff if you bother to wander around before picking up all the quests in a new town.

"Hey, could you find my lost wedding ring for me?? I need it for wedding things."

"Yup already did here you go."

"Hey can you collect 20 bear asses for me??? I lost them."

"Yeah I picked them up on the way in."

"Help me hero my wife is about to be eaten by dickwolves!!"

"Don't worry about it I already got em."

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Dec 8, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You don't but cripple Seth Green does

And personally I think that 100% justifies her existence. Joker needs someone to love too yknow.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mordecai's voice lines from Borderlands 1 are hilarious in general, especially the lines when you take a fatal hit and go into second wind mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qIUHQjq9qo&t=141s

Since I mained Mordecai in Borderlands 1, I will never forget URGH, WHYYYYYYY, WHAYYYAYYYyyyyy

There are a lot of lines from Borderlands I'll probably never forget because I played so goddamn much of that game. "YOU NEVER SHOULDA COME HERE AND NOW YOU'RE GONNA PAY" is one that recurs in Borderlands games still today.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that after some plot stuff happens the merchant in RE4 gets the same glowy eyes as the zombies. Nothing ever comes of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: That's awesome, if true. ^^^^^

I'm sure it's also been mentioned here but the little effects the costumes have on Leon and Ashley are great, too. The reaction Leon has when he catches her in her suit of armour, the lack of protest when you try and look up her (nonexistent) skirt when she's wearing the armour or the silver suit (I'm just a bit surprised they took it out, I mean), and Leon's scoff when he's wearing the fancy clothes and you try to reload the Chicago Typewriter are all great.

Am I missing any?

If you aim at Ashley while she's wearing the armor the faceplate on it falls down so you can't headshot her by accident, whereas in her normal outfit she just ducks.