Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I played The Fall yesterday and it is really drat good, but the bits I enjoyed most:

Hitting start to open the menu will put a message on screen saying run menu.exe. If you keep mashing it without letting the menu open, it gets all distorted into RMeuexn neMue.neux.eexe and things like that.

Being a military droid, you can't really complete the tests designed for a domestic droid, so some of the solutions you have to make are pretty good, like helping an old lady cross the street when the automatic tracks the lady uses are broken. You have to get her hit by a car so she's trapped, pick her up and wave her in front of the camera on the other side like ARE YOU HAPPY NOW.

The story itself is loving awesome in general too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

FTL is all about getting vital information about the Rebels to the Empire, then fighting the Rebel flagship.

How is an empire so outgunned by the rebels when the empire is made up of about 5 times as many races, I just don't understand.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

No, sounds like the Scrolls of Icarian Flight you find on the wizard who tumbles in front of you outside of Seyda Neen.

The Boots of Blinding Speed were my jam. That, some Magica resist and levitating trousers were my adventure gear. My favourite part of Morrowind was decorating whatever house I murderclaimed, usually Nerano Manor. A skull and a greater soul gem made a decent pop-punk talking piece.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

One of my friends had a copy of MGS3 which he had never played for that exact reason, he couldn't get past the menu screen.

That friend us now working for a [GAME COMPANY] as a QA tester.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

There's a 'horror' game called Spooky's House of Jumpscares where you go into a big ol' haunted house run by this cute little ghost, and it's the most cliché type of horror. Lots of corridors and corners. Until the jumpscares start happening, which is to say little cardboard cutouts of octopi and tree stumps with cute little faces on popping from the wall with silly sound effects happening. After that it becomes more conventional horror with a bunch of things chasing you.

You can come across a computer which holds details of all the chasers you can come across, and it comes with killcounts for each of them. The cardboard cutouts have 4 kills from cardiac arrest. :3:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

My favourite little thing in Hotline Miami 2 is Manny Pardo, loose cannon cop who gets results with a big black police chief for a boss and is also a serial killer because he really wants attention. Which the HM2 thread seems to think he's unaware of, which is questionable. Also the soundtrack.

Also the level design sucks compared to the first but I appreciate the differences in gameplay and the more diverse character traits compared to the masks. I hope the level editor makes things cool and good.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

On quite a few animal bios Ocelot gives to you, he specifically tells you to not eat them. I guess he knew all about Snake Eater.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Cleretic posted:

And one last thing: The game provides the best way to ruin dramatic cutscenes I've ever seen. (No real spoilers in the image behind the link, although it is from a late scene)

There was another slightly earlier on, where you're being driven in a car on a later mission and Skullface is doing his monologue about language, I made Snake stick his Cure cassette on and he sat there trying to look like he was trying to pay attention. I didn't see if you can put the speakers on though, which I might try on a replay.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Runescape has probably changed so much since I last played it.

Start with a few F2P quests to get decent levels.
Do the member's quests to unlock skills and areas, like the druid thingy for herblore, runecrafting stuff and the mortyana quest which I totally forget.
Follow me to the wildy and I'll trim your armour.

Alternative, go here, they're probably much more suited to help you out and if you join the guild you get decent methods for loads of exp and stuff.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

In Dark Souls 2, in an area filled with ladders and drops, there is a ladder which has just enough length to start fast climbing down before stopping and leaving you falling to the bottom of the level and dying.

I fell for it. :downs:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

My favourite things from DMC4 are both with Nero's sword.

When you fight Dante at the start Nero tries to be all intimidating by revving his sword, and Dante just does the exact same thing back at him. It makes me laugh each time. DMC4 cutscenes are so good.

When you pull off that taunt in-game, it actually gives a tiny bit of EX meter like manually revving your sword would.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I think his health bar appears over his head, it is annoying as poo poo to find. Just keep whacking until he falls over and try not to die on the way down.

This bastards curse was cleansed alright :smith:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Kimarhi No-Horn

Have they put in an extra mode where you play as Jecht yet?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Is Jack of Alltrades also the Master of Nuns?

This level of punnery should never have been reached

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I want to make a run where me and all of my pawns are David Bowie of varying eras, since the creator had a Bowie eye option

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Is there a Bioenchanted Plays thread because there should be

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Just throw it on in this thread instead

I'll give one now: Phantom 2040 for SNES.

I've never seen anyone really talk about this game which is a shame because it's loving rad. So it's the future in New York I think and it's basically ruled by the Maximal Company who are real environmental destroying bastards, and you play as The Phantom in the future to stop them and their huge armies of robots. As well as mutants and I think cyborg people who want to live in space. I think this all gets explained in the cartoon but I never watched it so idk.

The levels are based on various areas of the city selected from a map but each section is interlinked. Say you drop into the sewers from the metro station, you can emerge in the biotech factory and open a new path or an upgrade for later on. To help you explore one of the weapons you have is just a grapple, so levels are wide and open for you. You also get setpiece levels, so for example one level is you chasing a poacher who stole a panther through heavy hovercraft traffic which is so good.

The combat is pretty basic. You get a whole bunch of weapons and it's very dependant on your movement abilities. A lot of enemies can only shoot forward so if you stick to the ceilings and flying kick people generally you're safe. One of my favourite things was the uppercut, if you get close enough you grab them by the back of the neck and hold them out like a shield, then toss them into the enemies when you're done.

The story, I can't remember much about but I do remember it has a bit of a choice system included. A quite subtle one at times too. First level is an attack on a university, and you arrive and see a hovercraft escaping to the right. I played this game for years chasing after it, I never realised you can go left into the university and save the professor who was attacked. This opens a new path in the next level. Blew my mind. Theres also not so subtle ones, like with the panther you save from the poacher. You can either give it to your mentor who watches over your lair, or trade it to a black market dealer for... Something? I never chose that option. I wanted to keep it in my lair all the time. If I remember it also unlocks as a weapon if you keep it.

The music is loving super. Lots of industrial sounding tunes and pretty creepy ambiance for when you get to an area where nothings happening yet.

God I loved that game, sorry for rambling

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I never completed it either, I always got stuck in the ruins with those Mad Max tank fuckers endlessly respawning

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

It was super easy to get too, like it probably was a good 30% of people's first ending

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I didn't realise how much of Theme of Laura from SH2 calls back to the SH1 theme, that poo poo is cool

I think SH2 is probably the best use of player action effecting the game in gaming still, going of subtle player behaviour instead of WHICH COLOUR BUTTON DO YOU PRESS. Alpha Protocol is close behind, but you're always making explicit choices rather than the game taking cues on how you act.

I mean I guess Undertale works too, but it's not as subtle

Shattered Memories doesn't count too

I'd love to see a modern day take on it which changes the game as well as the ending,band I wish that's what Silent Hills would have been

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I've played that one, it's total bullshit to play but the cabinet is great. It has fans which blow when things are behind you and stuff.

The Walking Dead one had crossbows instead of light guns, and was actually pretty forgiving for a light gun game so it was worth the quid.

There was also a huge display Tomb Raider light gun game which was pretty fun

But still, they're no Time Crisis 2.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But it's still no Point Blank :goonsay:.

Brewdog in Liverpool has a Point Blank machine but the calibrations are all off and it makes it an absolute misery to play, but I can't stop playing it.

Might see if I can sneakily recalibrate it somehow so I can relive the joy

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

What, no. There's a wide range of favourites from the series, mostly between Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild.

And they're all wrong, the best is Majora.

I've been playing a lot of Cultist Simulator recently and while there is a lot to not like about it, the abstractness of the goals leads well to being completely mystifying, like you're delving into some real shiteach time.

Also I still get creeper out when I catch followers blinking out the corner of my eye

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I have just got back into Risk of Rain 2 and goddamn that game makes you feel powerful

For those who didn't play 1 for whatever reason, the story is the cargo space ship you're on has crashed into an unknown planet which is filled with things that want to kill you. You have to escape through various teleporters, finding supplies from debris scattered over the planet. There's no ending yet since it's still in development, so basically you just go through cycles.

I was playing Commando, who's gimmick is he's just pretty good. His main attack is 2 weak-ish shots rapidly from his pistol. On this run, I got so lucky with my items. I found 9 Predatory Instincts (which stack critical hits into increased attack speed for each shot), 9 Soldier's Syringes (which increase base attack speed), 3 Lens Maker Glasses (Increased chances of crits) and 4 Leech Seeds (restores 1x4 health time time you cause damage). This meant my attack speed was off the charts as soon as I looked at an enemy and they would melt.

But from there, I also got a Sentient Meat Hook (Gathers enemies near your target and groups together, causes damage), Will'O Wisps (Dead enemies explode), Gasolines (Dead enemies ignite surrounding enemies), Ceremonial Daggers (Dead enemies create 3 powerful daggers which home in enemies), Sticky Bombs (Each shot has a chance of creating a delayed detonation bomb), Tritip Daggers (Potential DoT each shot), Stun Grenades (Stuns on Attack) and 2 Brilliant Behemoths (makes every attack explode). So basically, it would pull all the enemies together and explode the gently caress out of anything, chain reacting outwards until all the smaller enemies died while I was eye lasering the main boss to death.

Then I died when I got stuck in a tunnel with a plasma worm who basically ate me

God it was fun

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Started playing West of Loathing and I seriously love the effort put into it.

The starting town has a quest to clear the basement of a tavern of a goblin, where you can get whiskey which will let you into to doctors house. No biggie, let's just finish up here and then go head to see what's the doctor up to. Kill the goblin, grab whiskey, talk to the barman, get reward, go to doctors house. One of collectables in there is a book that lets you speak to goblins. Whoops.

I've had the game switch my middle name twice because I've responded to NPCs with 'my middle name is x' remarks, which then get used to make a temporary Id badge in a town made of pain. I dont know if I'm making this up but the joke is that this id expires in 11 seconds, enough to go to the building next door and start talking but not complete your name. I repeated this about 5 times before just mashing through giving any answer, and on that time the game gave me the prompt to maybe look at another way to do things which locked my ID in that town to be a random mess of names instead of my own. It was perfectly annoying, I loved it.

Also the silly walk book is the best thing.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Cleretic posted:

FFX was probably the first example of this, and you can tell, because it's not a good example. They hadn't really figured out how to write around a nonspecific name, so it just comes off really awkwardly, like all his friends just don't remember his name but it got too awkward to ask.

Prepare to die, SON OF JECHT

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

The Magic Circle has voice acting by James Urbaniak which is my favourite thing whenever he does anything

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

And then Turtle Rock made Evolve, which shared another core problem which is that if your game hinges around a group of boring rear end humans doing boring rear end human stuff VS cool monsters, then almost everyone will want to play as the monsters 100% of the time.

This is why I bounced off Dead By Daylight, I wish they could add more objectives than 'generators'. Please, more variety than just hiding from people in different ways, you were so close

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

SFV is a little overwhelming with the data it gets and reports on, but it lets you know when you knock people down a rank. And it even lets you know that you blocked a rank up, it is the most satisfying sound

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I've just recently started playing Helldivers and while it was obviously built for multiplayer and I missed the boat on that by about 5 years, I have been enjoying it purely based on how Starship Troopers everything is.

Minus points for them only having around 5 battle lines for the troopers though. A CUP OF LIBER-TEA wears out its welcome before its said once

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Whoopsy, Raiden has lost even more of his body and we have had to replace his voice box with these vocoder nanomachines we salvaged from Armstrong and now he sounds exactly like him

The real tragedy is that we can never get a full and proper voiced Solidus fight, he was perfectly designed to be a Revengance boss

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

That baby could hold a whole 32 meg on it. Contains 3 whole notepad files of data and one snazzy ASCII tyrant.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Hojo in general is Jeffrey Combs

Palmer is Danny Devito

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I really liked the multiplayer of Batman Origins, 3 v 3 Joker vs Bane gang with two people playing Batman and Robin, running around and stringing people up. Had so much potential for a standalone repolish

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

If you get all three the skeletons are pictured doing a dance

E: oh nooooo I'm too late

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I've finally gotten around to playing Lobotomy Corporation, and I'm enjoying the lack of handholding on how to handle abnormalities.

I did 3 resets after unlocking the big button because I am also a big dummy, and it spooked me each time I did it.

I think I've figured out my starting strategy too: Don't end the day immediately, use that extra time to grind out training and bonuses and complete any missions, and if there's any kind of breach just pile everybody in there, tanks first.

Can't wait for it to get too difficult and I'll just get bored and move back to grinding out Binding of Isaac cheevos!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love this new trend of games letting you just get back into conversations with no drama.

It used to annoy the hell out of me if you suddenly got into a fight when someone was trying to exposition at you. Sorry mate, can't read the subtitles, robots are trying to eat me.

Don't cut me off like that, it's rude!
Anyway, here's what I was saying.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Ginormo Sword perfected the large = power formula

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

In Rogue Legacy 2 there are challenge rooms with chests that only open if you, say, take no damage. There's a room with spikes you have to jump in between to reach the chest. It's a nice simple one compared to some of the others you can get.

if you do it well enough, which is very easy since it's simple jumping, you'll be hit by a fire from hidden geyser just as you reach the last platform, hidden behind the on screen notification that you are not allowed to be hit. Its just a dick move I couldn't not appreciate it.

Or fall for it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

He did have such a good hat though