Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The shortcuts in Dark Souls 3 can be very cathartic. I was running through the start of the Cathedral of the Deep this morning, ran through the graveyard and opened a ladder, which was nice but nothing special. Then I kept moving, past a large number of ambushes on the roof, and got inside the Cathedral itself with the invincible giant in the first big room, and after a small room with a few new enemies I found an elevator, that led back to the start of the entire path, through the first set of double doors at the small cathedral's bonfire. That's a half hour journey cut out now. BTW, does the Tower Knight with all the miracles at the bottom of the staircases respawn or am I safe from that bastard now I've killed him?

Edit: Also during the run to the aforementioned ladder, the enemies started randomly dying, as great arrows were coming from somewhere again. When I looked in that direction I saw the tower where the Giant Friend lives in the Undead Settlement. Even on the other side of the map he's still looking after me :3: I love that kind of interconnectedness.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ArtIsResistance posted:

He's not invincible :D

Really? I shot him with large arrows from a relatively close by ledge and it didn't even bring up a health bar that I could see. If I can kill him that cool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to the Swarm of Clerics fight. Not too hard until the second phase with the main guy. I think I'll try Iron Fleshing and just wading the gently caress in when he spawns because I kill large arcs of them at once, they have low health and no poise and I can keep a ton of Estus on hand. Just don't want to give him the chance to use his really mean Dark or Curse spells, or however he seems to be healing. I'm just glad I can basically ignore the encounter just before. 2 Pyromancers, One Cathedral Knight and One Black Knight? gently caress that. I can easily just run past. Also I've found the shortcut just on the other side of that encounter. The second giant can wait until I have better spells because he is surrounded by slowdown sludge and a million slimes. I'm gonna wait for exploding fireball, thankyouverymuch.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Apr 30, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One funny but unintentional thing in Dark Souls 3 was my trouble with Patches. I was looking for him at the Cathedral around the big door that he's supposed to drop, but I never saw him anywhere. Then I went back to firelink to just check, climbed the tower and he locked me in the belltower. When he said "I was a bit late really wasn't I?(To avoid you getting locked in the tower) I was internally responding "YES YOU ARE LATE! You should have spawned at the cathedral an hour ago!" I knew iot was coming and he still trolled me. :mad:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I accidentally warned myself of a trap in Dark Souls 3 in the catacombs. I was looking at the room from right at the beginning of the level with the long staircase below, tried to use the binoculars to look around but accidentally hit the wrong button, attacking, stepping off the ledge and falling to my death on the staircase below. Then a giant ball of corpses ran over what was left of me :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm sorry if the thread's getting tired of DS3 but I just wanted to say I love the design of the City of Irthryll of the Boreal Valley It feels very dreamlike and it is a very pretty area. The cool blue lighting, especially with the initial vista is spectacular. Even some of the enemies fit that aesthetic. The Dancers are an enemy I've seen complained about but they aren't too annoying to fight, they die quick if you get a hit in, and I love the way they move. They feel very weightless but still present with their balletic movements with the twin swords. I also love the lone Evangelist in the small caged area where there is no way in except the locked gate. I'm not sure what it's implying but I like that she is just squatting in the corner dry heaving, and she doesn't agro until you hit her. It seems something very bad had happened to her, like maybe she was heading to the Undead Settlement to preach and just got very lost, but you kinda feel bad for her. Did she lock herself in there to escape the hostile dancers, did they capture her or did she just go mad?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nuebot posted:

You get a spell from her the first time you kill her that explains it fairly well. She got too close to "The Deep" which is yet another unknown entity or place, apparently themed after the deep sea that's been corrupting the church and it drove her crazy.

I forgot I'd received that spell. Thanks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always like when people play with games more than playing them by the rigid rules they put forth. Like in Dark Souls 3 there is a courtyard past one of the harder bosses that has nothing in it, just two crystal lizards and a path forward, but there were a number of messages like "Mob enemy ahead" or "Danger" that had me nervous - until I saw why they were placed. One time through that courtyard, blood red summon signs started appearing en masse. The messages became clear - the fans had turned it into a tiny PVP arena :3: What was once a functionless setpiece now has purpose beyond a couple of lame pickups.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well, now I know to watch out for Malcolm Reynolds. THat sort of thing is exactly why I rarely ember, and just kill stuff solo. I only summoned to kill the Pontiff Sulyvhan so far.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think my favourite lore thing in MGR:R was that the Metal Gear Excelsior isn't actually an official Metal Gear, because a Metal Gear is defined in the series as a walking tank that can fire nukes. The excelsior can't fire nukes, it's just a walking tank. It's called Metal Gear so that it will sell to people based on the pedigree.

I also like the context of "Rules of Nature" as a song - it plays only during fights with Metal Gear Ray and the russian knockoff metal gear minibosses, and it's about old weak species of animal dying off and the strongest surviving - Basically the Ray and Russian knockoffs are literally dinosaurs, impressive in their day but out of date nowadays.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to the final boss in Dark Souls 3 and I love the design (Although I'm definitely summoning for him as I'm bad at the game and it has helped immensely beating the last few bosses). I love the idea that he is an Amalgam of all the previous players who linked the fire, and so fights like a player, mixing pyromancy, miracles and two types of melee. I also like that in the run up to him there are no enemies, after Lothric Castle I was sick of the trash mobs. I'm just glad I found the massive shortcut that goes from the entrance of the bridge where you fight the Dragonslayer Armour to right outside the door for the Twin Princes, so the four red eye knights can just walk down the stairs and not bother you. Those are a great set of Quality of LIfe additions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

scamtank posted:

The different forms are all thematically appropriate, too. There's the basic knight, then there's the Izalith fanboy (Quelaag's Furysword + pyromancy), Anor Londo loyalist (pike/partizan with some moves stolen from Ornstein, Princess Guard-grade healing miracles), Logan's successor (crystal soul spears, a constant buff that auto-generates homing soulmasses, soul stream) and finally the big old briquette himself, Gwyn. Even the soundtrack is joined by the mournful piano theme of the first game's final fight when he takes control.

Something I just realised there since starting to watch the Dark Souls 3 LP: The little guy on his throne tells you early on that you will Recreate the initial kindling of the First Flame, then the Final Boss becomes Gwyn in moveset and music. You are recreating the fight exactly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I know a lot of people were a little put off by Glados's pettier comments in the sequel but I think my favourite line is still "Look at you, soaring through the air majestically, like an eagle...

piloting a blimp."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've just beaten Cold Fear on the PS2, felt like a much shorter, less scary version of Dead Space in gameplay and controls, but I liked the environment design because it is restrained. You only have two environments, the Whaling Ship in the first half of the game and the Oil Derrick in the second, and they both feel like actual places. The corridors all have multiple logical entrances and exits, it's just some doors get blocked off during certain events to railroad you, but you can still remember "Oh if that door wasn't blocked I would have been right there at my destination!" because by the end of each level you know both facilities like the back of your hand. There are aspects of the game that feel "gamey" like the placements of exploding barrels in illogical places, but overall the environments themselves look navigable for civilians working there, if a certain staircase wasn't busted forcing you to puzzle a little sometimes.. Also the inevitable secret lab area has multiple entrances, it's not just one entrance that would gently caress over the employees if something happened to it, although storing monsters in the main elevator is questionable. There is an entrance both underwater, which is obviously the main one, but there is also a bridge above the water that can be retracted as a safety feature. The controls are on a weird spot, but that's because if they were on the side that would make sense for them to be on you'd be able to get there from the start so that's a contrivance I'm willing to allow in a mediocre PS2 game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing Witcher 3, and I'm enjoying it way more than Witcher 2 so far.

Not only have the controls been streamlined nicely so it's no longer a nightmare to do anything (I played the opening hour of Witcher 2 on Steam, didn't like the clusterfuck that was the PC control scheme) and the characters aren't completely detestable. Sure there is mention of the darker side of humanity, but still less depressing than Witcher 2, which had a conversation in the starting encampment with two guys apparently from the first game apologizing for attempting to rape Geralt's friend, his response being "What Rape?" and then they backpedal. It felt very nihilistic, like they were trying to play it for laughs, but it was just unpleasant.

Witcher 3 does the complexity much better, with a man looking for his brother who went to war against the occupying force in one sidequest, and you find him badly injured but alive, having become good friends with an enemy soldier who happened to save his life. On the other hand you have the scholar who wants to go to the front lines and find out what wars really like, but when Geralt mentions that that would be a great idea because people need to know about the ugly side of human nature, like the warcrimes, rapes and brutality that come with dehumanising your opponent, the scholar dismisses that as irrelevant.

I also enjoy the angle that Witcher's are not pure warriors or are they mages. They are renaissance men, masters of swordplay, magic, plus they gather intel and even aid in politics if there is call to do so and the pay is good. Plus they write books to share that knowledge with other Witchers. They are buff wizards.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:20 on May 29, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always thought that the European/UK title fit better, Canis Canem Edit Translating to Dog eat Dog. I prefered this title because bullies are a very small part of the overall problem, which is an ongoing cultural schism between 4 cliques with the fifth and sixth generally being impartial (The Townies just want to be left alone mostly, and the bullies are just general forces of chaos). Also it was a misleading title because Jimmy isn't a bully. He is a kid forced into violent situations due to said schism, egged on by the mentally unstable Gary Smith, and the only good role model he has is the kind but somewhat milquetoast Pete Kowalski, who acts as his conscience and common sense.

Added the spoilers as Jojo may not have met them yet and the other 5 cliques are introduced right off the bat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, Witcher 3 kinda spoiled it's tastefulness in the second major area with the witch. The first town your in there mentions that soldiers are abusing their power but instead of just insinuating that they're rapists they go cartoonishly out of the way to make sure the player gets it. It's not "Oh no, the soldiers aren't allowing people their dignity" it's more like ":byodood:ALL RIGHT EVERYONE LINE UP FOR YOUR MORNING RAPIN'!:byodood:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something that Witcher 3 does that I like is when you make a potion/oil/bomb it stays made. You don't get 2 bombs, you get 2 charges of the bomb that refill when you rest. THat means that if there is a potion that requires an annoying or rare ingredient to find you only need to find enough of it for one dose, then the potion just refills. Way better than Elder Scrolls with "Hope you have 99 of everything if you want to use alchemy!" Also the Crones were pretty cool. Not sure if they're going for the Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos reference or not.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think the funniest part is that, as the loading screen keeps insisting, there is no risk as Witchers and Sorceresses are barren, so he can gently caress as much as he wants and no consequences. It's like it was written by a fraternity.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

2house2fly posted:

No STDs in Witcherworld?

That's probably what the potions are for. And Witchers and Sorceresses are probably OP enough to not have to worry much about diseases anyway but the game doesn't go into it so neither shall I.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way, I get that Witchers are infertile due to the bizarre experiments that make them such badasses, that's obvious. But why Sorceresses? What is it about their magic that makes them infertile, or is it just because of the overabundance of magic 'irradiating' them?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Have there even been witchers in the series who start getting really snippy with people as opposed to the "Reserved Badass" personality? Like a peasant gives him a hard time about his weird genetics and he just responds "Oh, do you want to go fight that Griffon over there? You're welcome to try. You can even borrow my silver sword if you like! I'll just be standing over there, watching and laughing...:allears:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With Witcher 3 I liked the way they handled the Baron's Family and the rebirth of Dea. It was definitely helped by the Baron's voice acting during the funeral at his Threshold where the Baron renounces his actions and apologises to his unborn daughter for all the crimes he commited in a night of rage and grief.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just done the play to attract Dudu in Witcher 3. My brother hated the godlings, but I don't mind them. I find them kinda cute in a weird way. They're the only characters who aren't just enormous assholes for no reason, they just lack boundaries, and they're just so happy to see Geralt when he gets them talking :3:. Everyone else has an agenda or a drama, but the Godlings are always in pretty good spirits, and even when something happened like with Johnny's voice, they are pretty proactive about it when they have backup.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way, question about Witcher Lore. Are the Witcher's mistaken about the mutations taking away their emotions, because it seems like it more just suppresses them. Geralt definitely feels quite a bit, not just towards Yennifer and Triss but when he finds Whoreson Junior he definitely is being emotional in his decisions to beat him to a pulp.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ah, so they're basically Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts - thought to have no emotions, but it's just a convenient lie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I figured that out a long time ago. My Geralt painted a fence for a Redanian Army RockTroll Recrruit to make it nice and pretty. :3:. Love that side character. He's hilarious. "Now, boats guard boats! :buddy:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing I've noticed in the Witcher 3 is how dynamic the conversations are. Even in recent batman games talking to NPCs often feels static, the camera just switching between the characters stiffly posing, and the elder scrolls games are just camera gluing to the other person's face, but the characters in main scenes (Story and SideQuests) move around and talk, making or avoiding eye contact, Geralt even laughs at jokes that old friends make mid sentence without having to interrupt them. It just feels pretty good to sit through.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In Velen I've nearly finished clearing out all the questions marks but of course the Bald Mountain area is too dangerous - swarms of foglets at level 26 each, all with the little skull icon. I hope that the inevitable mission there is called Night on Bald Mountain though because that would be great. At least I have the fast travel marker.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So basically the first game but longer with a less obnoxious art style? I'm in, when it comes out over here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the chatter after the endgame:
Hey Look! Here comes Bruce Wayne in his ~Waynemobile~!
Oh no, look out! Waynearangs!
Yeah, Bruce Wayne's going to show up in his Wayne-suit and beat us to a bloody pulp!... Yeah, let's just... Leave him alone...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In Dragonball Xenoverse everything revolving around Beerus is hilarious. In the first fight with him, over spilled pudding no less, Trunks laments that "GOD This fight started for the STUPIDEST POSSIBLE REASON!" as the fight progresses, then the villain tries to take over Beerus and make him blow up the world despite him promising not to if the fight was interesting. Beerus then throws the shot he's charging to his right, towards the primary villain and just scolds him with "DID YOU REALLY THINK THAT YOU COULD CONTROL THE GOD OF DESTRUCTION!" and you then team up with him to kick his rear end.

Then you get back to the nexus, where Beerus promises to kill the villain himself for that infraction, and when the Kai of Time warns him that that would destroy the entire nexus he responds with "I know. I'm the God of Destruction. Geez!" and then he makes a wager. If you beat him and his assistant, he will let you take centre stage and kill the villain. After the fight, he gets bored and decides to go home for a quick nap, commenting that "If the guy happens to be killed while I sleep, well, that will be a shame, but inevitable I suppose.." buying them some time, and his assistant clarifies that Beerus sleeps for 50 years at a time, so they're basically good.

Just a hilarious character.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In FF Type-0 HD I love how powerful the summons and L'cie are shown to be. In FF13 they were just slightly enhanced people, with the fear being propoganda mixed with engineered mass hysteria rather than an actual reason to fear them. In FF Type-0 two L'cie clash for the first time in 500 years and a town is reduced to a mere memory, and a crater.

Also like the l'cie crystal collectibles, how they come at the end of a town's side story, like helping the newly-self-appointed mayor get attention to speak to his populace to rally them to rebuild, or even just the smaller ones like helping a little girl get in touch with her big sister in Akademia :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked his solution to his problem - he was told to guard the boats, but he had no fences. But he had boats. So he built a fence out of the boats. "Now, Boats guard Boats!" :3: I also loved the pathetic bird that Geralt painted on the fence.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The trolls in general are a great example of a cargo cult. They want to be like humans but they just don't get why we do what we do. We wear shoes, they want shoeses too but they barely even know what shoes are. Trololo has probably seen guards around guarding their compounds, and internalized a link between guards and fences that doesn't really exist, while at the same time having no idea what boats are for, and because the Redanians didn't bother to brief him, just said "Guard this poo poo while we go drinking" he did his best with faulty information. Their simple, but not quite as stupid as everyone thinks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to Chapter 7 in FF Type-0. Love the chapter 6 mission end with the Summoning of Alexander and the battle against confused Gilgamesh although it took me a while to work out the trick to that fight (Only timed crits do anything). It was awesome and funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just beaten FF Type-0 HD. Loved the tone of the ending where everyone is severely injured and awaiting death in their ruined classroom after a grueling fight and physically dying multiple times each. At first they finally realise how afraid they are to die now that they may be facing it, but eventually manage to get their minds of their injuries and start planning what they'll do after they finish healing, so when they inevitably do succumb to their injuries and dies together, it's without fear that they do so. It was melancholy, yet somewhat hopeful due to their idea that the academy may move on to new things. The final boss was easy, but not in a disappointing way as it felt thematically relevant.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Jun 25, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Playing Shadow Warrior PS4, really fun game so far. Love that it's basically an updated version of the original game, with the katana+shuriken or gun based combat. Also, there are no crap weapons so far. The pistol is powerful, the smg has decent stopping power so makes for nice crowd control, and the charged crossbow just kills stuff. The powers all feel worth using, even the ones you wouildn't think would be all that good like the "Meat Pinata". No aspect of the arsenal so far (Beginning of Chapter 4) feels wasted. Also I like the goofy dialog, it's terrible but appropriately nineties terrible so it just fits and is funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to chapter 5, and I think I've met the first Bullet-sponge enemies (The clawed dudes are much hardier, and the shield guys are pretty beefy). They're not too bad though because you can knock the shield guys down from the front with the force-push and slash them while they are down. An aesthetic thing that I really love so far is with the upgrades you get with Karma points. Each upgrade adds a new Yakuza tattoo based on an animal to the protagonists torso, until with all the upgrades during a new game plus the entire torso is painted. It looks really good when they start to link up too, it's very fluid how the patterns moves from one animal to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, I love this Level Designer for Shadow Warrior on the Steam Forums. A lot of people were complaining that when they dashed at the top of a flight of stairs they dies instantly, even if it was a drop they could easily hop down in real life. The designer owned them all with maths:

His initial sentence is replying to someone asking if he was a producer

Hashmallum posted:

Nope - I'm a level designer :)
And this is how physics work - try yourself.
Lo wang moves at 7.1 meters/s while walking and about 17 meters per second while sprinting.
While dashing his /a/ (acceleration) is /Δv/ (the delta of velocity) divided by /Δ of time/.

So if Lo Wang speeds up from 0m/s to 17m/s in 0.78 secs it's 17/0.78 ~ 21.79 m/s2
It's about 22g or even more, what is lethal for a human being, ninja or not. (I'm not a mathematician or a physicist so, I may be wrong).
This is physics dude :)
Chill.

If you wish I can prepare a custom save for you, especially for you, where you are immortal - if this issue makes you hate the game so much! You'll be able to dash off any stairs you wish!