Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I mean, I always played the game with a "kill the bastards" approach so I didn't notice much difference. As I understand it, the endings are all such that the reapers, ultimately, lose. So, it's all very optimistic. Even the one where you give up, basically.

I just looked up this one since I hadn't even heard of it before it was mentioned a couple posts up, and no it's pretty bleak. :v: It implies that the reapers eventually lose against a later generation of the universe but trillions of sapient beings still died because you didn't do anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bApdjLFcVUk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Metro is incredibly detailed and actually really rewards you in a tangible way for moving slowly and paying attention to the details.

Lords of the Fallen has a lot of problems but the impact of its combat is awesome. There are attacks that take 3 entire seconds or longer to swing but they really feel like they merit the time if you hit something with them. Like if you smack a little demon dog thing with a huge scythe it will go flying five meters away.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In Valkyria Chronicles every single soldier you can put in your squad has unique attributes like advantages when near women or men, or allergies that make them lose HP near grass, etc, as well as specific other soldiers they fight better around. They also all have unique lines when you put them in the squad or remove them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Celery Face posted:

In Dragon's Dogma, there's a system where you can romance literally every NPC in the game (including little kids, Capcom didn't exactly think the whole thing through) and you might not know about it until a cutscene where the dragon kidnaps them. It'll probably be the NPC you talked to the most, like a merchant or an innkeeper. Someone decided to go with the court jester just to see how it would look and good god is it hilarious.

The innkeeper or merchant thing was actually true for a lot of players until a patch made a special case for those two NPCs in particular. An NPC likes you a tiny bit more every single time you talk to them, so naturally the innkeeper and weapon store owner tend to have a lot of "affinity" with you by this point in the game since you've been talking to them and skipping through their 2 lines of dialogue nonstop for pretty much the whole game.

So a lot of players with no knowledge that this system even exists (because the game does literally nothing at all to communicate it to you) arrive at the huge climactic fight with the dragon only to be told that the innkeeper is their true love and they must fight the dragon to save him.

Every NPC in the game is pansexual.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mysterious loyall Y posted:

the corpse of my decapitated ex-wife fell into my second wedding

Thread title?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Suitaru posted:

Metroid Prime did the Dark Souls style of storytelling years earlier, and better. Read what you want, piece things together (eg. what the final boss actually is beyond The Title Of The Game) - or don't, just go explore and kill things, that's totally cool.

Metroid Prime 2 was OK with that as well, as I recall. But I played 3 the most recently and yet I remember the least about it, except that there was a steampunk planet, an acid rain planet, and boring cutscenes.

This was one of the many things metroid prime 3 hosed up actually. Except for the scans that are important enough to go in your logbook, they limited every scan to just 3 very short lines, which not only made them shorter but also forced them to use simpler language. The logbook scans were also shorter if I recall correctly. Another dumb thing is they made the lore scans appear "in order" for when you would generally bump into them over the course of the game, unlike the first two games where they would be out of order and up to you to piece together the context. Felt much more like like the world was just always there without you, not designed for you.

Metroid prime 2 was the best in most ways in my opinion. I didn't think so my first time through, but now that I've played all of them several times I think it's the most consistently high quality all around.

I used to be able to say a lot of things about why metroid prime 3 hosed up, but then Other M entered our world so now I have a hard time getting mad at metroid prime 3 in comparison.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I liked that in metroid prime 2 all their installations had a unique heavy industrial theme and that you could read several personal journals among the other logbook entries. There were some nice details like a message telling low-rank pirates not to feed the metroids they captured; elsewhere in the same area if you scan a metroid in a cage, the scan says it's unhealthy because it has ingested rations and pet treats.

Turns out the pirates were actually hosed up just as badly as the federation marines and are stranded on the planet just like you. So while they're still your enemies the Ing are just a much bigger threat.

edit: Thank you whichever fabulous human being changed the thread title

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Jan 3, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does that kind of thing happen more often in far cry 4? I read so many people mention how good far cry 3 is at making emergent stories, but when I played it I saw almost nothing like that except variants of "an animal attacked the enemies I was fighting," and every story I've read about it basically followed that same premise. Still more interesting than most modern games but the range of possible random things that could happen really didn't seem as broad as people made it sound.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

games are art

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lords of the fallen is a good game despite being a really bad game. I don't understand it. I finished it and it was so bad, but it was still good somehow?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GONNA PLAY THE poo poo OUT OF THESE VIDEO GAMES

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

beats for junkies posted:

I've been replaying Far Cry 2 with Dylan's Mod and I forgot just how many little things FC2 has that I like but almost nobody else does.

I love the buddy system and I'm sad that it apparently doesn't show up in any of the other Far Cry games, or more games in general. You get another shot (heh) at whatever you were doing without having to reload the game (and possibly lose a bunch of time if you're like me and forget to save often), and you get a little help clearing out the area.

Fast-travel being accomplished by buses is good (although a couple more bus stops wouldn't have hurt). The map being in-game and not stopping time when you look at it is also good. Weapon jamming and degradation is a neat feature (even if it is a bit ridiculous how quickly some guns become rusty piles of junk). Wounding but not killing an enemy can lure his friends out of hiding so you can kill them, or it can end up surprising you later if you don't confirm the kill - I've started shooting everyone in the head after the fighting stops just to be sure. I like the enemy chatter as you take out more and more guys. By the time you're down to the last couple in an area, they're freaking the gently caress out and wondering exactly how many of you there are. I like that enemies aren't totally psychic - it seems like they know where shots are fired from, but it's possible to hide and watch a group of mercs close in on your old position (I like to leave an IED as a little present for them).

Far Cry 2 isn't quite on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s level of "gently caress you, player" but it's close, and I really like it for that. I wish they hadn't gone quite so far in 'fixing' the problems people had with it for FC3. I mostly just want buddies and weapon jamming back while I'm crying far. :(

The majority of those features are exactly the things people likes about far cry 2 (things like weapon jamming excepted), it's just that whether you like far cry 2 pretty much comes down to whether those good features outweigh how incredibly bad some of the other issues are for you, most notably the constantly respawning enemies that never leave you alone.

Also enemies absolutely are psychic in terms of detecting you. If a single enemy starts to detect you, then you have about 2 seconds before every nearby enemy instantly knows exactly where you are and completely alerts to you, no matter what you do. Then even if you use a silenced weapon but don't kill them in 1 hit, you get the same result. The one and only way to stealth is to never be seen by a single person ever, and don't kill anyone except with one shot. The enemies are magic.

Far cry 3 fixed that but then they went ahead and threw away half of far cry 2's good points too, like the diegetic map, because they evidently didn't do much real analysis about what dragged FC2 down and instead just said "people didn't like the last game, so make this one really different I guess."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just started transistor. There is a button you can hold whenever to hum along to the music. 11/10.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In battlefield hardline there are alternate reload animations that will rarely play. They are incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHpyOgCkfAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIqQW5WZV4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In Modern Warfare 2 I recall firing a javelin missile, immediately getting killed, then the game spawning me directly under my own missile as it landed.

Call of duty is a terrible, terrible series.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wish evolve didn't have such a godawful DLC setup because I really enjoyed the beta and would have bought the full game if they hadn't announced the entire game's launch price again in DLC, and with all the skins and poo poo they have too I think the DLC adds up to more than $60 already.

My favorite conversation I heard in the beta was maggie, hank and lazarus talking about hank's cooking. "What, you didn't like the grilled canyon eel?"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Or even better is going into a game with as little knowledge as possible, which is especially fun in Dark Souls or similar games with lots of "Gotcha!" moments to learn from.

Posted this in the dark souls PC thread but someone recently told me they were using this on their first playthrough.

WHY. :negative:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but you have to admit that everything about a Souls game makes you desperately want to chase after every tiny edge you can get, especially early on. There are multiple places where not knowing the trick or the build will greatly increase the difficulty and you can only throw yourself at a fight so many times before you start wondering if there's a better way.

Part of the reason it bugs me is because he's three times as good as I was the first time I played, so it's totally unnecessary. He's really never gotten stuck on anything yet. When I first played it was just wall after wall after wall until I beat quelaag and then it was better after that.

Obviously it's just a game and it's his choice to spoil everything, I just think it's a choice that's very evidently going to make it a worse experience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In Crypt of the Necrodancer one of the bosses is an entire enemy chess team. They have their pawns, rooks, knights, etc all lined up in correct starting formation and they all move according to chess rules--Pawns only move forward but they attack you diagonally, pawns become queens if you let them get to the back wall, etc. Then when you kill all the other enemies the king comes at you singing along to the music with his ukulele(?).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

In FF14 you can see other player's retainers (they gather items for you) out in the field fishing or logging. If you get close they will say things, sometimes they refer to the person they work for and that name is SephirothxXx. What is surprising is that there is actually no player named this, and its funny cause they're mocking people who can't make a unique name and just put <videogame/animecharacter>xxxxetc.

I still can't believe how many unique human beings there are that do this. It's just baffling how many people have apparently independently thought it would be cool to surround their name with some jumble of upper- or lowercase X's. If you look at the scoreboard in a 64-player battlefield game you are basically guaranteed to see at least two.

And somehow none of these thousands upon thousands of people have realized that it doesn't make you look cool. It makes you look like a jackass.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In payday 2, every character has two sets of lines for shouting at things (players, cops, etc), one for during police assaults and one for between assaults. They sound calm and in control outside assaults, but more panicked during an assault (sometimes pretty much degenerating into incomprehensible screaming in the case of wolf and clover).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

It isn't to me because I have absolutely no interest in making Anor Londo any worse than it already is. :shepicide:

Killing him doesn't make anor londo dark. It just locks you out of joining the blues if you still wanted to do that.

I usually go after him for the brass armor, one of the best looking sets in the game that I wish they brought back in dark souls 2.

e: Forgot that killing him pisses off the fire keeper so you can't use her bonfire anymore if you then kill her, so that is a pretty good argument against it I guess.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Mar 15, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In torchlight 2 you can feed your pet fish to change it into a different creature with different abilities for a few minutes. One of them turns it into a mimic so you can have an adorable monster treasure chest hopping after you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They will destroy you no matter what you do because they are literal aimbots. That player is doing the choreography it demands perfectly, and they still take off over half his HP just by existing for a nonzero amount of time.

Wrong thread I know, but they really ruined black mesa for me. Anytime they showed up the game suddenly changed from half-life to really boring whack-a-mole and repeated quickloads because there was pretty much no other option short of memorizing everything.

Everything before they show up was great.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Apr 6, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In killing floor 2, they have added physics to dosh. So now you can bury the boss in a doshy grave after you kill him.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You're becoming hysterical.

My turn now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Another neat little thing in The Witcher 3 has to do with it's quest system and the notice boards. Like some RPGs, the main character Geralt can look at local notice boards to get work or a feel of the surrounds. Usually there's a bunch of little notices and you read them and take down. Some are obvious Witcher quests, asking for help killing a monster. Others are a little more broad, like one from a man who's wife disappeared into the woods. They don't always start a quest themselves, but give you direction on where to look for the person who posted the request or other hints. Then there are notices that read like, "My son died and we have no money for a funeral. We don't have a clean shirt to bury him in, a shovel to dig a hole or planks to build him a coffin." And my brain thought, "Well, I'll keep my eye out for this junk." But no. As far as I can tell, that's not a quest. There's not in-game explanation, but it makes sense that Geralt would have bigger fish to fry than some stupid fetch quest. He'll hunt the wild griffins, and Johnny Buckwheat can help you find your 8 wooden boards or whatever. It's a good way to build up a living world around the character without bogging the game down with peasant quests.

The witcher 2's notice boards had things like this too. Some of the notices were quests and some of them were just flavor.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The one good thing about the nun trailer was that it was completely indicative of the game's quality, unlike most trailers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bad Guys in batman do not actually have skulls or brains. Their heads are made entirely of tender, punchable meat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elite dangerous features a ton of systems, nebulas etc based on real astronomical data so you can visit a bunch of real places that are hundreds or thousands of light years away. I recently kitted up a ship for exploration and went on my first journey about 30 jumps away, to the coalsack nebula. Should have picked a more exciting looking nebula but it's still really cool to know that it's real. The game represents the entire milky way but of course the places that haven't been astronomically observed are just filled in with randomly generated systems.

Another good one from the same journey:

The game has a ton of rare but real astronomical features like white dwarves, black holes and wolf-rayet stars. Haven't found any yet but I really want to go way out and find one sometime. I know a lot of players make the journey to saggitarius A*, the black hole in the middle of the milky way, which can take weeks of playing to reach.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's another one in the undead crypt, I think those are the only ones though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Best thing about Batman is that he DOES NOT KILL.

Except when he's flying down the street in his tank and smashes into a criminal at 200mph hour, said criminal is also electrocuted upon contact with the tank.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The dude is pretty much just shamelessly milking chumps for money with the same thing over and over, but the way he's doing it isn't really hurting anything so I can't really blame him for getting as much cash out of it as he can before moving on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't understand why so many people are obsessed with him, his games are sometimes weird in a good way but he's basically a horny teenager and can't resist making sure you know that all the time in his character designs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I've been playing the new Warhammer: Vermintide game, and the interactions between characters is great. The elf is a huge dick, but instead of just taking it, every other character just shits on the elf nonstop.

This is actually a really rare and satisfying thing to see, in most games when there's a terrible character you hate, you just have to deal with it because apparently the devs didn't realize what an awful character they made. But vermintide knows the elf is a terrible and you will hate her so the other four characters can't stand her either.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is that homeworld remaster any good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There are different animations for different chairs. This one happened to make me look very disgusted with these people

Evilreaver posted:

Fallout 4 has four go-to talk options, with the 'top' choice being a question, the right being 'bad dude', bottom 'good dude', and left being neutral/sarcastic.

When you hit an arrow to skip dialog, you'll mumble something along the same lines. "What? Huh...?" for question, "Yes, go on" for 'good dude'

And the bad dude skips are hilarious and seem to be tuned to many specific characters. "If I have to talk to one more ghoul :argh:" "Nice hat, idiot" "Shut uuuuppp"

:staredog: I've only ever clicked to skip dialogue before which gives you a distantly condescending "uh-huh" or "mmhm" which is pretty great by itself, but now I'm never not using the arrows. I also need to get drunk if that changes your lines too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

On the other end of the spectrum vermintide's rats say "will stab-stab!" in silly rat voices and it owns

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Both super mario sunshine and galaxy are fabulous but in different ways. The controls are incredibly slick in both games and the stage structure plays to their strengths well, with the water gun's 3 different kinds of mobility making it better suited to open levels and galaxy's gravity mechanics better working with linear levels as you jump to different planetoids one by one.

Galaxy also had some very good traditional levels without much gravity fuckery though. I guess those levels made people wish the whole game was like that which is why so many people complain that the levels weren't as open as in 64 and sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got to repeat the little comments when skipping lines in fallout 4 again, it's a great bit of characterization for the player character and I want to see something like it in other games. Talking to the radio guy in goodneighbor and listening to him ramble to himself about how great a cheesy fictional character is, and she just groans "the people I meet..."