Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Mercenaries talk:

Sometimes when taking a mission for one of the main factions, there'll be something to interact with during your briefing. Screw listening to the guy in charge, I'm gonna use the exercise bike in the room for five minutes straight.

Also, I loved the mission names for confronting the face cards (basically, son of NK leader stages military coup in NK, you are given 52 targets designated by each card in a deck of cards based on what each target specializes in).
Spoiling just in case.
Ace of Clubs mission: Bringing Down the House (where you call in a friggin' bunker buster on a building modeled after the Ryugyong Hotel)
Ace of Diamonds mission: The Guns of Kirin-Do (where you take out a butt-ton of big ol' artillery)
Ace of Hearts mission: Gambit (where you attempt an infiltration and capture of the ace that doesn't go quite straightforward)
Ace of Spades mission: The Ace of Spades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I do wish you could hijack one of the delivery copters though.

Also, since it's the Russians delivering equipment (as I recall), if you snipe the delivery copter pilot dead, I think your reputation with them lowers in response.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

ninjahedgehog posted:

How the hell did you actually interact with them? I remember hearing you could do this, but there's no button prompt or anything.

The best thing was planting a couple of C4 bricks on top of the smoke grenade, and then detonating right as the helicopter releases the jeep you ordered. The jeep flies up an destroys the helicopter, and it's exactly as hilarious as it sounds.

I could've sworn there was a prompt for it when I played on Xbox, but I might be wrong; maybe you just went up and hit 'interact' and got lucky. I'd love to go back and replay it sometime.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Typing of the Dead: Overkill and all its DLC was on the Steam Summer Sale yesterday, so my boyfriend picked it up and we've both been playing (thanks, Steam Family Sharing!)

The Filth of the Dead Dictionary DLC is the best thing ever. I never thought that I'd be killing zommutants with phrases like "double wank and poo poo chips", "sentient dick cheese" or "put the dick away, that's my mom", but I keep laughing so hard it's difficult to type properly.

Oh my god my desire slash need to own this game has skyrocketed immensely. :stonk:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In either Vice City or San Andreas there is a little blurb in the manual about how a new law banning children and dogs had just taken effect, so don't expect to see either in the city. That always cracked me up.

On the Saints Row site before they put the SR4 material up, there was a short snippet regarding the setting stating that it was illegal for kids to be on the street in the city, or something like that. Savvy.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

haveblue posted:

IIRC it's possible to choke people unconscious without snapping their neck, but it takes longer and makes more noise.

Thankfully there's a bone charm you can pick up that speeds up the process, at least.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Leper Residue posted:

The solution to this is to just make it so all cars can drive up buildings and fly.

So a VTOL that can drive like the Mako.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Going into another playthrough of Skyrim recently. I still like that, if someone's visibly holding your arrows for you and you get the option to loot them, said arrows will no longer be sticking out of the corpse of who/whatever you shot up.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

SourceElement posted:

The thing the guy says just before he dies anti-climatically is pretty funny if only because the phrase "walking apocalypse" is so ridiculous that it could only happen in a Borderlands game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfs4S5UeOg

:crossarms:
Excuse me, but Saints Row: The Third would like a word with you. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewy2rGUwF84

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

triplexpac posted:

Just wanted to pop in to say I love the music in the Professor Layton games. Finally getting around to playing Unwound Future and it's great.

The orchestral version of the main theme is utterly gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmd58nFB6OI

Also this isn't so much a little thing, but whatever. With regards to the original Layton game trilogy, I loved the ramping-up of emotions at the end of the game.
Curious Village: more of a "d'aww" kind of situation.
Diabolical Box: "d'aww", tinged with tears.
Unwound Future: I cry like a little baby every single time at the ending. Too beautiful.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

scarycave posted:

I really don't know why I keep playing Hyrule Warriors. It is literally the most repetitive (sometimes outright obnoxious) game I have ever played - but I cannot stop playing it. Despite how repetitive it is though, it does have some pretty neat nods and other stuff.

Bow-Wow is my favorite weapon. Unlike Link's other weapons, he's actually animated and during his (A) move - he'll chomp into the ground as you flip the world. :3:

Links Great Fairy weapon is also pretty great.

Darunia's victory dance is the greatest animation in the entire game and I will literally fight anyone who says otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwZFMvyhOpM

Apparently it's a) based off of his dance from OoT and b) longer than anyone else's victory animation by a delightfully awkward amount.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm in the same boat and I can't figure it the gently caress out. Usually I'm really uninterested in grinds and have zero issues tearing myself away from games, but I can't for the loving life of me get myself off the Hyrule Warriors bandwagon. I had to literally delete it from my console because I'm in school and I can't spend hours each day mashing x to smash up a dozen guys at a time, and it's just SO loving ADDICTIVE.

When my residence hall got a Wii U last week, we took a moment a couple days afterwards to check the total time played and all that.

Total time: 101 hours
Hyrule Warriors: 60 hours

God drat.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Illuyankas posted:

I have played about half an hour of Borderlands the Pre-Sequel and the mere fact you get your action skill at level 3 instead of 5 is already a godsend. Also I will be the only one of my friends playing Claptrap and I don't care who knows it.

I started a group playthrough with two others tonight.

Our original plan was to have a group of 4 so that all characters would be played, but... then we decided to do a Claptrap-only group with just us three.

It's glorious, ridiculous chaos. One guy's doing the Boomtrap tree or whichever, I'm focusing on the middle one with all the "more benefits with friends" dealio, and our third is taking the right tree mostly which is going to be really tricky for her to play once she invests more points.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

death .cab for qt posted:

I don't get it. It looks the exact same? What's changed?

Seems like it's not depicting as many holes as it used to when you had a bunch of fluid cascading down, plus a fading effect on part of the lower edge of the falling liquid.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

codenameFANGIO posted:

Sounds like you basically get Fables, yes. I can't believe it's still going, honestly.

The main series is on its last arc, actually. #146 came out today and it ends on 150.

Content: I finally got South Park: The Stick of Truth lately. I like all the random breakable crud that's strewn about; just gives me more to interact with.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In the Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover game, it's super handy that the exploration menu now tells you how many hidden puzzles and hint coins are in each zone (and indicates how many of them you've found).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

MindlessHavok posted:

Scooter is the best.

"All the ladies say Scooter's the fastest ride in town! Catch-a-ri- oh, i just realized that's an insult..." :smith:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
drat, y'all've made RE4 sound very enticing for me. I'll have to pick it up during the Steam Sale.

Content: in older versions of Stepmania, by default, every 250(?)-arrow streak you get where your timing is perfect(/excellent/marvelous, whatever the equivalents for those two levels are), you'll get a quick popout of a character to commemorate this, accompanied by the soundbite "Toasty!"

I need to get a theme for 5.0 that has this feature.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

ArtIsResistance posted:

The best part of animal crossing was always hitting villagers with the bug catching net until they started yelling at you

And then you'd keep doing it

Digging a ring of holes around villagers to trap them was also pretty fun.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

kazil posted:

I'd kill for a game set in the Malazan world. Advanced technology, sword-armed raptors? Let's do it.

And for the simpler-minded folk, whip out a gigantic ol' sword and declare "Witness."

Content: in Fantasy Life, I appreciate that, after crafting something, your character reacts in four different ways to show the level of quality of your craft.
Nodding: regular quality.
Fist in air: good quality.
Nodding, looking around, soliciting praise: great quality.
Jumping for joy: top quality. :3:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell came out yesterday.

There is a musical number.

There is a Disney-style musical number and I cried because I love this series so much.

The game description even states the musical number's there, but just witnessing it is beautiful. :allears:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Daniel Dae Kim is amazing.

The whole game so far is just enthralling. It just feels so perfect as a Johnny Gat-based story.

I've not played it for even two hours, though, and completion's already telling me i'm at 29%, but less than 20% of the city taken over. Well, I guess I can at least spend a lot of time collecting soul clusters.

Also, the option to play as Kinzie is pretty nice. I'm rolling with her for now.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kimmalah posted:

Say what you will about Fallout 3 (and I really don't want to get into that debate again), but holy poo poo do I miss the dart gun whenever a deathclaw charges at me in New Vegas. Although there is something kind of funny about desperately plinking at their legs before I get clawed to death.

It's even better when using the stealth suit. Wander into a pack of deathclaws, dart gun away, watch them futilely hobble around trying to find you.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Striking Yak posted:

Install it to the hard drive and it should be quiet. Fable 3 and Alan Wake made it sound like the industrial revolution was happening inside my 360. Must be something about the discs.

Content: Domination lines in Team Fortress 2. If you're not that good (like me) you won't hear them that often, but they're a nice little reward for doing well.
"You got a forehead on ya like a coffee table..."

I think one of the best is a Demoman line. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it goes something like "Dominated! And I've been shaggin' yer wife!"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Lord Lambeth posted:

No way jose

I do really love deadly premonition but anyone who says that game is not a technical mess is lying.

I really wanted to get into Deadly Premonition and RE4 (the latter especially based on all the praise here), but I can't for the life of me get used to tank controls. :(

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In the mobile game Love Live! School Idol Festival, while playing a song, as you play and your combo passes multiples of 100, you get more elaborate twinkle effects in the background. The thing is, the circles you tap to the rhythm of the music emanate from a center point and travel to nine circles, where you try to tap the moving circles as they overlap with the stationary ones. Little thing I like: the twinkles in the area where the notes are traveling are not as bright as the twinkles outside of the area where notes travel, making them less distracting.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Phobophilia posted:

Black Mesa is thing_dragging_this_game_down.exe, between the overtuned marines and the inability to jump onto anything without subsequently pressing the crouch button so that Gordon can retract his giant dangling ballsack that otherwise collides with ledges and makes him fall backwards.

So the ballsack is what's dragging the game down, then?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Babe Magnet posted:

If I recall that one has a little jokey rhyme too.

More PoE: this guy you meet in a whorehouse

and if you click the first option...

Holy golly, are those ligatures on the s and t? Pretty.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

2house2fly posted:

I like the NPC stories. Well, I like that they're there, I stopped reading them by the time I got to the main city because I'd never get anything done otherwise. Reaching into people's souls and seeing their past lives enhances the feeling of being a rare breed of person with a special power that could drive you to madness and all that, a feeling which is honestly a bit lacking otherwise after the first few hours of the game.

I just got Watch_Dogs for pretty cheap and this sort of shows up in there too. One of the many things you can do around town is hack certain buildings' security and get a view inside via a camera in a hallway or someone's room.
I like it, but... it's because it shows how bleak some folks' lives are. Like the guy whose parents are just trying to get him to respond while he's glued to his tablet or something. Or worse, the camera feed in a hallway where a guy's walking up to an apartment with flower in hand, but he hears his significant other loudly talking with a friend of hers about how he's inadequate in bed. :smith:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Just as funny/weird/creepy were the DedSec Randomizer videos you could find in the Bunker or at the Blume hubs or whatever they were called. One of them showed a hooker smoking a cigarette by a window while her john sleeps in bed. Another showed a father and son playing Assassin's Creed (and the father asking his son why he's talking to the guy who he just killed like that). And then there was the guy making cocktail weenie snacks out of some guy's severed hand. :stare:

I think those are in the ctOS centers I haven't hit yet, alas.
I was amused at the ones where the dude pumped himself up a quarter-inch (and the video identified his occupation as 'virgin') and the one where the webcam teaser gets recognized by the viewer.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Let's have that song, and the not a cappella version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE

God I love this song.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I appreciate that feeling of demigodhood, though. I remember my first time in the open world, I went to the garrison on the east side of the map, ran into 3 named Uruks, and promptly got my poo poo wrecked.
Some time later, I had bought the "unlimited executions for a few seconds" power, and I found myself detected by a shitton of Uruks on the west side. I think there might've been, like, 20 that were gathered around, and so I activated the power, appointed myself the mayor of Shankville, and everyone ran away.

It's a welcome combat gameplay change from, say, Assassin's Creed, where (primarily in 3) once I was being chased after in one of the city areas, it was basically "hope you can evade a billion guards coming at you from all directions ever".

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sleeveless posted:

I've already played through Deus Ex: Human Revolution three times across the regular release and the director's cut and I'm still finding new things on my latest playthrough:

-In the intro where Megan is walking you through the Sarif facility one of the scientists who talks to you has a unique artificial arm. Later in the game Tong, the leader of a gang that scavenges prosthetic limbs from corpses, if wearing that very same arm.

-The weak walls that are meant to be destroyed by punching through them with the strength augmentation can actually be destroyed by enough damage from explosive weapons or a pistol with the armor-piercing mod installed.

-When you go to a LIMB clinic for the first time if you leave without actually buying and installing a Praxis kit then David Sarif will message you and express disappointment that you didn't take advantage of the account he had set up for you.

-In Hengsha when you have to break into the hacker's apartment and access his hidden computer you're supposed to just climb in through a hole that was blasted in his wall since it's away from the guards in his apartment and is right near your objective. However they went to the trouble of making a hidden door that you can open by interacting with a stuffed toy in the apartment just to have a plausible "normal" way of accessing it before the police came and blew open the wall.

Isn't the first thing you list a plot point? As I recall, you head back to Hengsha to track the signal given off by the scientist's aug, only to find that Tong is having it attached to him.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really appreciate games that do this. Oblivion is the worst, while New Vegas is great for it.

"Psh, whatever. I can totally go straight north to New Vegas instead of down to Primm and around like a little bith."

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

John Murdoch posted:

Isn't there also a stealth ability where you can point to some other guy and go "Hey, it's him, the virus dude!" and have his buddies all freak out and hose him down with bullets?

That was in the first too.

I loved clearing out bases completely with stealth, but going full murdervirus on the last guy for a little satisfaction.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Well, I know what I'm finally playing through once I get home.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Now that I've gotten to play it, something on the Prototype 2 kick:

In the first game, there was a mechanic called the Web of Intrigue where you unlocked brief clips of information that player character Alex Mercer learns from people he consumes. Unfortunately, completing this could be really annoying, as plenty of targets were only set to spawn randomly in certain areas, which meant you'd have to run to and from the area to try and get the target to show up.
In the sequel, Heller has this 'hunt' ability that lets him track down individuals to consume like the Web of Intrigue targets, and they're more or less guaranteed to spawn once you're put on the path of seeking a particular target after accessing //BLACKNET. It's so helpful to have that ability because it saves a lot of time and frustration.

There's still the possibility that your target dies in both, though, and you end up having to run back to the area and have them spawn again.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Ryoshi posted:

The iOS port is surprisingly good.

Isn't it the case, though, that in that port, you only control Neku during battles?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

donkey salami posted:

Similar to this I had big surprise in borderlands 2. When the big mechanic woman is explaining the clan fued and I think one family head is named jim bo. She says at the end "yojimbo" the kurosawa film with the same plot

That entire moment of speaking is generously peppered with movie references, if I recall correctly. Right now I only remember that Ellie also mentions A Fistful of Dollars.

e: holy poo poo JUST f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Grandmother of Five posted:

was Origins really buggy on release on some systems or something? people seem mad about it & consider it way worse than Asylum and City, but it played the exact same when i got around to it. or maybe it is some comic nerd thing? figured Knight is the exact same + more enemy types since that's all that's changed in the other installments.

Seems like it's got a lot of issues running well on PC. Haven't checked in a few hours (nor tried the game myself yet) but there's been a great deal of graphical problems I believe.