Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

timp posted:

...Except now I'm trying to think of an example and I'm drawing a blank. I can think of a few games that did it poorly (Perfect Dark just threw in some random chick). Any games that do a great job of adding a co-op player? I know I've played some before...

Sonic 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Does the backstory that you have to jump through hoops to discover explain how we terraformed Venus? You know, surface temperature hotter than Mercury, atmospheric pressure 92 times greater than Earth. The probes that have landed there didn't last long.

Stick enough hydrogen into the atmosphere, and bombard Venus with a few hundred nickel-iron meteors. That gets rid of a good chunk of the atmosphere, and binds up most of the rest of it. Without the runaway greenhouse, the temperature cools down significantly - you'll probably need a solar shade to keep the temp differential between dark and light from getting too big, but there are a few ways of increasing the atmosphere's albedo that might avoid that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not really my favorite thing, but thread-appropriate nonetheless

Dwarf Fortress Devlog posted:

Today saw the addition of an oft-requested feature -- the ability to geld! We stayed away from new parts, but there's a body part tag for it on appropriate male critters, as well as a job and so on. The job takes place at the farmer's workshop after the animal is designated in a way similar to slaughtering. The process is modeled with a wound within the existing framework.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No you can't.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My favorite little thing in Pokemon is that Nintendo are the ones who told people when to press B to guarantee a catch, apparently for shits and giggles.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Iji is pretty much Little Things In Games, The Video Game. If you can do something in that game, playstyle-wise or otherwise, it'll have something to say about it.

Sadly, you can't side with one faction or the other. I tried.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Twitch posted:

I pretty much only play in single-player mode in Dragonball Xenoverse, so it took until just now to realize there are 40 different emotes, all of which are taken from Dragonball Z. Including both sides of the fusion dance, Goku's two-fingered salute, and all of the different Ginyu Force poses.

If you want to punch things, level up, and play dress-up with your Dragonball fan fiction character, I cannot recommend this game enough.

Also you can use Ghost Nappa as the voice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wanted By Weed posted:

You can thank Star Wars for vibrating weapons. Those axes the pig guards carry are actually vibroblades, which operate similarly to the high frequency weapons.

The real life version is a 'harmonic' blade.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_scalpel

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Did you not ever run into the great fairies or any of the armor stores or any of the shrines that award you with armor pieces

I only found one armor piece through dungeon exploration, after I finished all four dungeons I said gently caress it and looked up the locations

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

The very first town you're guided to has six pieces of armor and also a quest to find a great fairy nearby. No idea.

buying poo poo in stores doesn't count as getting it through exploration

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So is your least favorite thing the fact that they were right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7VxGn7Piew

Last i heard, the cutscene exists, the code to trigger it does not.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ariong posted:

Once I get past all the prose, what I’m getting from that is:

1. We’re in a galaxy full of stuff orbiting a giant black hole

2. Someday black holes will be all that’s left

3. Our planet and the others in our solar system orbit around the sun, which sustains us.

Which is all true in our reality, so why not in the Dishonored universe?

You missed the part where they say the black hole is gonna devour all cosmic objects.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, that squares, because I feel like one of the worst things about being in the Justice League would be Superman. Anything even remotely big comes up in your area and you've inevitably got Superman asking if he should help out, and you don't actually want to be a jerk to him but you really want to tell him that you can loving handle this, CLARK, go back to being all-powerful somewhere else and let me deal with my side of things!

Nah it'd be great, you don't have to take your superheroing seriously, you can go all in on a stupid gimmick and have supes bail you out if using your dumb medieval weapon somehow fails.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean...do they? Their only notable female protagonist is Samus which was better when she didn't have a personality, or at least only a subtlely implied one.

Samus is the rare case where the noncanon fan version of the character is both more nuanced and less sexist than the canon one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

She also destroys their secret lab and I was going to point out that she blows up a planet too, but she rather makes a habit of that and is a destructive force greater than any other Nintendo property and really most any protagonists in any game.

Well, aside from Kirby

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like punching a planet in half by hand is more personally destructive than just setting off a booby trap

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah I loved that in half life and it sucks the sequel didn't have it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

My GF is in the end game and didn't know you could strafe hop or many other things.
She watched me play for an hour and kept saying "poo poo how did you do that?!"

I've watched her play a lot and she wallops Lynels no problem. It's odd but she plays differently than the game expects, I guess.

I had trouble with ganon because i stopped playing for a couple months and totally forgot those mechanics existed.

Because i barely used them before, and just killed everything with arrows.

Also i thought ganon was below the palace, so i decided to just take a quick peek in at the top and WHOOPS final boss.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elfface posted:

The best pacifist-run game is Iji, where as long as it's not your bullets that kill them, your kill-count stays at 0 and the game explicitly tells you this. Lure two different alien factions to each other? Shatter a floor under someone? Duck a rocket aimed at you so it hits someone else? Reflect a rocket back at it's shooter with your personal forcefield? It's all pacifist baby!

on the other hand it didn't respond to what i tried in my first playthrough, which was only killing one of the factions (apparently the killcount is global)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Wasn't enough to save me from originally assuming they were talking about Doom Eternal though. :colbert:

Say the full name of the game all the time!

My favorite part of The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa is... wait, poo poo, I forgot

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flatluigi posted:

There's also The Gostak, which does the 'decipher what an alien language means' in kind of a brilliant way (yes, this game is parseable and beatable but you probably should know at least a little bit of how an IF game works before you try it

https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=w5s3sv43s3p98v45

(you can play it in-browser with the button on the top right. take notes.)

There's also this walkthrough

Lighan ses Lion

which won a competition for 'build a game around these commands'

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 03:04 on May 24, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobok posted:

Mario 64 was so good for controls and acrobatics I would usually start each session by just practicing and having fun in the castle courtyard area. It wasn't just fun to run and jump around moving forward, that particular leaping cartwheel you could only do when you stopped and reversed momentum was genius.

According to dev interviews, that was one of the biggest design goals. IIRC miyamoto had "is it fun for mario to run around in an empty field" as one of his big requirements.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Nier Automata has a bunch of ui shenanigans.

So your character is an android, and you can slot in different upgrade chips for gameplay bonuses. However you can also add or remove various hud elements. Also, you can pop out your cpu and instantly die.

There's certain enemies/story elements that hack/corrupt and will knock out various hud or even combat capabilities.

And the big one, involving 9S' hacking. His hacking ability puts you in a sort of top-down/isometric shmup. Endgame/final boss stuff: if you hack A2, another playable character, in the final fight, it turns out you're navigating a 3-d version of her menus

The only nitpick I have for that is that I just wish

that you could uninstall her os chip, making that fight be the payoff for the weird OS Chip Suicide mechanic

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eclipse12 posted:

Something that SHOULD be a little thing: let a second player control enemies. I'm not talking about designated modes like in Left 4 Dead. I'm saying in pretty much any game.

As far back as the nineties, I used to imagine how cool it would be if my buddy could control a goomba in Mario, an imp in Doom, or a random thug in Final Fight. I just assumed that was something the future would offer. Sure, the enemy player would die easily and often, but adding an unexpected variable to how that enemy acts would be really cool. And once the enemy was killed, they just take over a new enemy. Maybe you'd only get one hit in now and then, but I still think it'd add insane replay value. Most enemy movesets would be simple enough to learn and control.

Like, that should be From Software's next move. Instead of invading players, you fight human controlled regular enemies. You're in the Undead Berg or wherever and one of the enemies is controlled by a remote player. Have it glow, be worth more souls, drop better loot or whatever.

I'm having trouble thinking of almost any game that wouldn't be just a little more fun if I was able to jump in as an enemy and grief my buddies online.

IIRC that was a thing in Age of Wushu, a MMO notable for having amazing griefing potential and having subscriptions you could buy with a Subway Gift Card.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Battlefield 5’s profanity filter which would do all of that but somehow still allowed people to drop the N word with a hard R multiple times a game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3634950&pagenumber=1060&perpage=40#post492448794

post from our twin thread

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what I like about star trek online is that you can just bind all your powers to spacebar and just mash it in combat, so you can focus on flying your spaceship instead

sadly they haven't reimported the console update to pc where the game will automash powers for you

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

2/3 of the way through the game you get an achievement pop-up and then you check your achievements and they're all gone. For every game. And then you remember what game you're playing and you think ha ha good one guys but then you beat the game and it turns out it was real.

that's more of a yoko thing

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

But you don't understand, it is unrealistic to not need to shove food into your maw every 15 minutes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Finished reading Umineko after a decade and I really appreciated how it not only presented the solution to every past mystery in metaphor but also forced you, the reader, to be the one to solve a murder mystery at the end. :allears:

There's also lots of very bad and questionable stuff, but details!

The real real killer was
Thomas Midgley Jr., inventor of tetraethyl lead, a poison that causes people to hallucinate butterflies and display erratic and violent behavior. This was a medical mystery all along.

*blue text* There was a large amount of heavy metals on the island, which caused all their deaths! That is the truth!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"This time the disease isn't fictional, y'all."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Death is the strongest status effect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also the enemy info in bravely default 2 will show any weaknesses you've discovered by hitting enemies OR by using the scan skill previously which is nice.

Not nice: it does not show elemental or status immunities, absorption, or counterattacks. And a ton of the bosses are immune to a lot of stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stexils posted:

your pacemaker has been turned into a bitcoin miner

Crank But Crypto

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EDF is not a videogame. EDF is what directors put on a TV screen to show that characters are playing videogames.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Usually I can make sense of these because they're only a beat off or you doing a weird thing to the word to make it sorta fit but I have no idea where this one's gone

fictive fashy horny
people

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Alright now that we've gotten to the bottom of this Deus Ex problem, let's talk about how much Adam you get for sparing Little Sisters or killing them. :twisted:

If you're very quick and interrupt a couple of supposed-to-be-scripted events, you can kill two little sisters and still get the good ending, so that's the optimal strategy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some pixel perfect clip where you need to be at a precise angle and location probably

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Look, the real problem is that when Ted told his programmers 'make the robots unhackable', the programmers didn't make them unhackable and they got hijacked by aliens. That is exactly what Ted tried to prevent! Maybe if the programmers had done their drat jobs instead of being lazy leeches posting to r/antiwork things would have gone differently

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

He's a social darwinist who wants to create a country where the strong rule with an iron fist and the weak are purged. If you're agreeing with his ideology you should probably rethink some things

On the other hand he wants to end the military industrial complex, so he's a solid C+