Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

You'll want to have a listen to the whole track once you've done the boss battle. The lyrics, while relating to the boss they correspond to, are too vague to give anything away. That's a polsy link so no comments or related videos. Also includes the old, original version of rules of nature at the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Anatharon posted:

It's too bad that isn't the case for the Detroit roof boss.

Someone never broke the shields.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Pidmon posted:

Because your fun is an example of casual racism?

I always thought it was because will smith had a huge cigar in his mouth.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Byzantine posted:

"Now that's what I call a close encounter" is the line he says with the cigar.

That's a good line. Man, sounds like that movie was even better than I remember.

Anyway, Super Amazing Wagon Adventure Turbo is a really good game. There's one scenario in which one of your party members falls in love with another and picks a flower to give them. If you try to fire your weapon while holding the flower, a heart will come out and float away.

EDIT: Hey! I just stumbled upon this post again 6 years later and it kind of sucks and I regret it! I appreciate the desire to get the conversation back on track and in a more positive direction, but this way of doing it is really dismissive to the idea that the thing being discussed is kind of racist which seems like something worth discussing. Waving that off like this is pretty lovely! Just wanted to note that I regret this post and I don’t suck as much now as I did when I made it. Enjoy the rest of this old-rear end forums page.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 07:29 on Jan 16, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

There's also an achievement for dying in lava and they went to the trouble of giving you a Terminator 2 death animation for sinking into the lava.

With a different hand gesture every time you do it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

quote:

I want GOoH so bad, but all I keep hearing is how short it is. Some reviews are like, "It's an expansion, what do you expect?!", but I don't actually remember the last time I spent more than $20 on any complete game in the last few years.

I preordrered it from gamestop's website for $5, and if I were you I would wait until it goes to :10bux: or less.

Captain Lavender posted:

I discovered Saint's Row games with 4 during the xmas sale. I've kind of gone nuts on it, gotten some DLC's, and played the 3rd (which I didn't like nearly as much). I need to get 2, I hear there's a good mod to make it run on the PC?

Yeah, that's Gentlemen of the Row. It's an amazing mod, and the guy who made it is so good at making stuff in saint's row games that they hired him. Also he's a goon. You can PM me if you want to know more about 2 if you want.

For content, in Gentlemen of the Row, there is a big "MALL" placed on the map where the normally very hard to find mall is. Seriously, I would never have found that thing if a mission didn't take place there.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Len posted:

Reaper is worth it just for his mariachi skin. It would be better if instead of yelling Die Die Die he played the hat dance during his ult

Ai, ai, ai!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

aka MisterBibs's idea of a great Fallout game

Is MrBibs the same person as that Gaming in the Clinton Years guy that there were a bunch of Retuspuraes about? The similarities are striking.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Uhh, I posted about it in the dragging games down thread mr projection, you're the one bringing it up here to score points with your GBS buddies.

And shame yea, I'm totally gonna lose sleep cause something awful forums poster food court bailiff things less of me cause I enjoy a game, like drat you have no idea dude, tears rolling down my cheeks as I type this.

Look I get it, you're insecure and pathetic and in your mind you feel superior to me because "well I don't enjoy games like THAT' *sips tea*, its funny cause those trying to sound the immature alarm and trying to shame someone for a game they enjoy are truly the insecure and pathetic ones, but hey if thinking you're better than me brings you a small moment of joy in your miserable life, by all means mr projection, have at it.

I'll just ignore the fact that this little slapfight came off me a mistake and owning up to it and you flying in to get your pathetic little dig in over completely unrelated poo poo.

:shrug:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

If you cook (which is done by holding multiple ingredients and throwing them in a fire) and you add a fairy

:stare:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The sequel was successfully crowdfunded and is currently in development.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The VR game was an entirely seperate project to the sequel.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I don't understand why that person ramped that flaming motorcycle off the top of that skyscraper. Was the elevator out of order?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

In Overwatch, Using the "Hello" voice command causes your character's left hand to come in from offscreen and give a wave in addition to their voice clip. The character Junkrat has a detonator which he holds in his left hand as long as his mine is deployed. Instead of simply not playing the wave animation while the mine is out, he has a unique animation in which he wiggles three of his fingers, holding the detonator quite loosely in the process. It's very him.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tell us more about the environmental poetry of Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.

(I love BioEnchanted)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If that's what you want, there is an option to make your weapons stick out from the center of the screen instead of the lower right.

Also, I highly reccomend spending some time playing with no HUD. It's very tense.

EDIT: Oh wait you're not talking about Doom 4.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

TGLT posted:

I just finished Tales from the Borderlands and I like that Athena, as a vault hunter, just casually uses video game terminology. Specifically, that Athena is the only one to do that and everyone else seems to think it's weird as gently caress.

That's not quite true. At the end of the game, if you choose Zer0 as one of your three teammates during the final fight, your friend asks him whether he was still looking for the same macguffin as the rest of you.

:silent:: Well... that was before. I've abandoned that mission. My queue was too full.

If you also chose Athena, she be like, "Ugh! Tell me about it."

Man, what a good game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

ArtIsResistance posted:

um they probably do that because the game is an anime and the fans are scum not because of plagiarismman 5000's fetish

It can be two things.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Near the beginning of Wolfenstien: The New Order, you get a laser cutter. It's a dinky little gadget that lets you cut through chicken wire and small metal chains. On the side of it is a metal cylinder with orange glowing stripes, the battery. The more charge the cutter has, the quicker it spins and the faster its stripes glow. Ever since I played through DOOM 2016 with no HUD, I have appreciated when FPS weapons have a way to tell how much ammo they have on the weapon itself, so this alone would have been neat enough to make a post about.

Later in the game, you are introduced to the Supersoldaten, eight foot tall cyborg hulks wielding giant gatling guns which fire what I initially assumed to be tracer rounds. When you defeat one of these monsters, you can pick up its weapon and drag it around until it runs out of ammo, at which point it is useless and should be discarded. Or so I thought. At one point I took a closer look at the almost empty gun and noticed on the side a large, slowly rotating metal disk with faintly glowing stripes on the side. I hauled the weapon over to one of the panels you use to recharge your laser cutter, and sure enough, it filled back up with energy and was ready to be used again. I may never have figured hat out if it weren't for a clever bit of design consistency in a game with mostly plain weapons.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It's sure as hell more fun, interesting and well-received than the opposite, being critical of popular games even if it's a legitimate complaint.

I still get poo poo here for poorly phrasing a generally agreed on set of problems with Fallout 4. And I recently got kicked off a Discord channel I was a longstanding member of because I was critical of Destiny 2 (and some other games to be fair) by an admin that by total coincidence worked for Bungie and posted every single publicity video they released.

I'm sorry that that discord thing happened to you, but I'm willing to bet that you would get poo poo for posting a generally agreed upon set of problems with any game here. This is the exact wrong thread for that. It always irritates me when someone posts a little thing they like about a game, and someone else decides to use that as a jumping off point to post about a bunch of little or big things that they hate about that game. That's the opposite of what I came here for! :rant:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I put down the game when Mayor Hamm announced that all transgender Army Men would be removed from their plastic bucket.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

ok

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don't think I've seen a ceiling fan with 3 blades. 4 or 5 seems typical.

Whatever you say, gramps.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

You can click the question mark beneath your red text to see every post you've made in a given thread. I just searched all your posts in this thread for "blue dragon" and it looks like you have not covered it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I only remember one of those.

Picture: Person standing next to cute dog.
Writing on back: "Soooo cute!!! I could just eat him up!"
Max: "People didn't eat dogs then..."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'm gonna yartz.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://youtu.be/9jO-P3kXlCI?list=PLDmcwfn8y0lMtlqcpUhggk0FB1EC2i3iB

This playlist is full of interesting facts about Half-Life, as well as the various Half-Life spinoff games and Half-Life 2. I was surprised to see how much the Houndeye comes up. That's the little tripedal many-eyed doggo that blasts you with a shockwave. They're not much of a threat as I recall, and they didn't make it into HL2. Pretty boring, right?

Well, turns out they're actually pretty complex. Single Houndeyes behave as I described, but they can also spawn in packs of two, three, or four, with one being designated the pack leader. Houndeyes in a pack have their shockwave's damage multiplied by the number of Houndeyes in the pack, with the shockwave becoming darker and more purple to indicate this damage increase. Killing the pack leader eliminates this damage boost.

So, how do you tell which one is the pack leader? Leave the pack alone for a while, then sneak up to them. When they are not in danger, Houndeyes in a pack will eventually lie down and have a nap. :3: The pack leader will stay awake, and if it sees you, the other Houndeyes will awaken with a start and pounce.

I noticed absolutely none of this when I played the game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

One of my favorite little things in MGR is midway through the Armstrong fight when Raiden delivers this line: "I said my sword was a tool of justice. Not used in anger. Not used for vengeance. But now... Now I'm not so sure. And besides, this isn't my sword." because he's literally using someone else's sword at the time

Uh, is there some other meaning you thought that was referring to?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh. Well, I liked that a lot too. It was incredibly cheesy of course, but it fit right in. Metal Gear Rising is a game that makes no apologies or excuses for how ridiculous it is.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Breetai posted:

Also, through the entire game there have been 3 or 4 instances where Raiden has had a very near miss with an enemy sword, or chainsaw, or helicopter blade coming close to decapitating him, and in each instance sending out a shower of sparks as it glances off his (cybernetic) chin. In the Armstrong fight there's a bit where he takes a punch at you causing another near miss, and if you look closely you can see that the only reason he's not managed to scrape you like in all of the previous instances is that Raiden wiggles his jaw backwards as he ducks under the punch. The happy little smile he gives afterwards is amazing. Watch the first 45 seconds of this to see what I'm talking about

And then Armstrong punches him so hard that he goes sliding along the metal ground, chin first, dor fifty feet. When he gets up is chin is glowing red hot. He is no longer smirking.

Somfin posted:

You're projecting really hard, gamergate.

Am I reading correctly that the developer of this game has gone on record as saying that he put a hot lady in the game for no reason other than he likes hot ladies? Yet, you're still calling people names because they won't believe your theory, which is the opposite of that?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Somfin posted:

He's gone on record saying that he likes pretty girls. And the game's story is based on a stage play he wrote for an idol group that he created, which is where the name of the main android organisation comes from, as well as a bunch of design elements (and probably the proportions of the androids). And his writing philosophy is to start with the final image and make every part of it as meaningful as possible. And he's famously evasive and playful during interviews.

So yeah, basically what he said is it's meaningless and anyone looking for meaning in it is clearly autistic.

I still don't know what exactly it is you're saying, but you sure are being a jerk about it. So, I think you're wrong and everyone else is right.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

" Hey, I got a great idea! Let's kill ALL THE GODDAMN SPARROWS IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY! Surely nothing could go wrong with this amazing plan!"

-All Chinese People(?)

EDIT: I've never played Mario RPG but I demand to know what is racist about this place I've never heard of. Big Trouble in Little Mole Town.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Oct 6, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

In Crypt of the Necrodancer: Amplified, there is a character named tempo. He(?) is a frankenstein that kills every monster in one hit, but dies if he goes 17 beats without killing. My favorite thing about him is the ticking noise that he makes when the timer gets low. It’s handy not having to look at the timer to know when you’re getting low, it raises the tension, and it makes it that much more satisfying to kill an enemy and reset your timer.

[tick][tock][tick][tock][TICK][TOCK][“HYAH!”][...][...][...]

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dewgy posted:

BoI is extremely polarizing but I still have more fun with it/the expansions than Nuclear Throne.

Maybe it's just because I don't mind having the RNG gently caress me every once in a while, which admittedly is a big pain in the rear end, but I think it's part of the charm.

Same. I would have stuck with Nuclear Throne if there were a way to play it at like 75% speed, but it is 2fast4me.

Hey, you know what's a great Necrodancer thing that would go well in BoI? The ability to remove items from pools. Not sure how that would work in BoI though since it doesn't have a recource that carries over from previous runs. (except for eden tokens I guess)

Agent355 posted:

BoI is bad, nuclear throne is good. Please put in OP.

Necrodancer is best.

The best little thing in necrodancer is the hitch in the rhythm in the king konga fight. The zombies animate with it as well so they have a lovely little hitch in their animation in time with the music.

E: badly explained, just go stand in the practice fight and watch em move around, it's great.

The game has so many cool way for the enemies to interact with the music. My favorite is the Banshee miniboss. When you attack it, you become deafened until it dies. In any other game this wouldn't really be a problem. but in Necrodancer it means that you have to keep the beat in your head until you kill it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I haven’t payed the sequel yet, but his last name is Blascowicz so I already assumed that was the case.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Who What Now posted:

No, they don't. They just make secret super-science and then hide it away. They deliberately refuse to engage in government or politics unless absolutely necessary (like a fascist government trying to take over the world and exterminate them)

More specifically, they never used their technology to change anything until after the Nazis got a hold of it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I must not remember, because the only instance I remember of the Nazis getting the super-tech is when they find the anti-grav stuff hidden in Area 52.

The whole plot of The New Order revolves around that. The A-Bomb? The London Monitor? The laser cannon you carry through the whole game? All Da'at Yichud technology.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lechtansi posted:

I just finished the TNO, and while I didn't listen to every conversation and read every newspaper it was my understanding that the secret tech basically leapfrogged them 50+ years into the future and then they built everything on that basis.

What about Spindly Torque and the Mech Suit? That's way more than 50 years into the future. No, I'm almost positive that every last bit of futuristic tech that the Nazis have is built from Hebrew blueprints. Because Nazis are stupid. They think torturing people is science.

Anyway, Here's a little thing from Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. In the TNO I found the perk system to be a little bland. It mostly just gave your weapons small upgrades like +reload speed or +firing speed. In TOB however, I found the perks far more interesting. There are still boring ones, but there's also perks like the one that lets you care around the miniguns like normal weapons. There's also the perk that gives you the Quick Turn, which lets you turn 180 degrees by tapping the "walk backwards" button twice. A perk that unlocks a whole little game mechanic! I hope the sequel maintains that level of perk creativity.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

This is a great clip, but it’s missing the part right before where a Nazi opens up the trunk you’re hiding in, shouts for his friends to raise the alarm, and his head explodes. Then this old jewish grandpa, who up until this point hasn’t done anything more violent than cutting into his dinner, walks in from stage left with a smoking double barrelled shotgun.

It’s an awesome character moment, and also a good bellwether for the value placed on Nazi life in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I avoid the other thread honestly specifically because it becomes a lot of really annoying complaining, I'd rather not see them be the same thread.

:same:

Okay so in the Half-Life series there are headcrabs, parasitic beasts which latch onto your head and turn you into a shambling, gibberish screaming zombie. In Half-Life 2, the Combine use headcrabs as boilogical weapons. In Half Life 2: Episodes 1&2, because of your actions in HL2, the Combine have lost control of the headcrabs and occasionally you get a zombified Combine soldier running around.

The neat thing is that Combine soldiers have artificial larynxes which give them very deep, mechanical sounding voices. If you aren't listening closely when a Zombine stumbles by you might think that they are just mumbling and groaning the same gibberish that the other zombies are screaming. If you listen, though, you can actually make out words.

*beep* "Necrotics... inbound..."
"...parasitics...."
"...sector is... not... secure." *beep*

They're still conscious enough to warn their fellow soldiers about the danger. Imagine hearing that over your radio.