Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

This thread is for the small things in games that you feel are pretty nice, the things that make good games great and bad games memorable and interesting despite the quality. These things aren't supposed to be the main thing in the game, so praising Gran Turismo for having nice driving physics is mission the point

Previous Thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468148&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Opposite Thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634950&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mafia : The City of Lost Heaven
It's one of the few open world crime games where getting caught by the police doesn't always lead to a game over, if you crime is a minor one like speeding or running a read light, you can stop and pay the ticket at the spot, you can of course also try to run but then they will start shooting and actually try to arrest you.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Aphrodite posted:

I think in Singularity you can just stand there and do nothing and there's a 3rd ending, no?

Or am I thinking of another game?

I believe standing still lets the bad guy shoot you and the scientist, but I can't actually remember. I don't know if it's and ending or gameover though

happyhippy posted:

Singularity Spoilers:

There is no way I think to get a 'good guy says world, peace' ending. Which was an excellent end to it.

No, but you can shoot both of them and get an ending where you take over world.

Hel has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Sep 16, 2014

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Werner-Boogle posted:

Is it worth buying SoM for the 360? I heard somewhere that they cut back some of the features on the old console systems, but I don't have a next-gen console and I doubt my crappy PC could run it.

No, the only thing that is actually good in the game is the thing that is cut from the last gen versions.
The PC version is pretty well optimized and people have apparently been running it on below minimum specs so don't discount the PC version just yet, just check before you buy.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Werner-Boogle posted:

Alright thanks. Is there a demo or something I could download? Do games even still do demos? I just don't wanna drop 60$ on a game my PC might not run.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a demo, they kinda of fallen out of favour lately, but I don't think you should gamble 60$ on it working either. So either you need to find someone that got it working with your specs or have a friend with the game that will let you borrow their Steam account. More games should have their benchmarks as a separate free download.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This reminds me of the part where you can, I think, take out the enemies' food and/or weapons stash, and it has the expected effect on them (low health, low ammo) in the next few areas. I believe this place is the fenced off base with the trenches and the helicopter. Can't remember the name.

It actually works with every food/ammo stash not just the ones in that area.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

At first I thought this was a bit of MGS wackiness, before learning that such things actually existed! I think you can have a Codec conversation with either Major Tom or Sigint that fills in the backstory as to why the Soviets have these sparkly new ones. I seem to recall also that they have that hovering sound effect used by UFOs in old sci-fi movies, which obviously makes them cooler by default.

They look more like X-Jets or WASPs.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Lavender posted:

EDIT: I have a question. I missed playing any of the Devil May Cry games. Of the ones on steam is there any must-have or must-avoid? I'm interested in getting something as close to bayonetta or MGS Rising or Godhand as possible. I just don't know how to approach looking for it.

DMC4 is the one to get sine the PC version is the definitive one , at least until the Special edition that was just announced comes out(not announced for PC though).
DMC3 is a pretty bad port, though I think some modders have made it a bit better. You can't rebind a controller and it doesn't really play nice with a 360 controller, though if you have a lot of patience and an external way of rebinding the controller it might work, easier to emulate the ps2 version.
DmC is a different kind of game.
So if you want something like Rising/ Bayonetta and is limited to steam buy DMC4.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

It doesn't change the collectibles themselves but it does change the location of them a bit, since the hotwiring and lockpicking boxes are not always found in the same places. And no, there is no second classic Wolfenstein level, but all the easter eggs and secrets that were in the original game return in the nightmare (secret walls, the hidden exit, etc.).

Actually the collactables do change, one timeline upgrades your Hp , the other your armor.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

You're probably better off playing MGS 5 without having played all the other MGS games, MGS 5 hits a lot of the same notes as MGS 4 just with "parasites" substituted for "NanoMachines", "SKULLS" for "Frogs" , "PF" for "PMC" and "Mist" for " Overwhelming Emotions" othewise a lot of the stuff related to MGS 1,2& 4 is pretty much "I know that reference".

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lady Naga posted:

And yet he still equips his default guns in cutscenes, even if you don't have them equipped.

At least they learned from MGS 4 where it would also force them into your inventory and equip them.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ok, this is a pretty morbid one, but I was reminder of a cool way of using the controller for immersion.

The Godfather 2 is a mostly by the numbers licensed GTA-clone made by EA, you go around taking over territory and building up your gang and poo poo. But someone on the team either put a lot of thought into a really minor thing.
The game let's you choke people out as a way off killing them while unarmed, mechanically it's just locking the enemy down and draining their health but how you do it is the interesting part. First you have to grab them by pressing both triggers, then you press the sticks down to start choking.
So while you are sitting there choking out your controller it vibrates with a pulse that grows fainter as the enemy dies.

It's a neat way to use the controller to simulate that action you are taking in the game, but I really hope someone does something like this with things that aren't killing people and feeling the life drain out of them.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

I'D RATHER DIE. :reject:

But seriously, I didn't have a gamepad back when I first got Alpha Protocol. If it supports control hot-swapping, I guess I'd be okay with using my "special hacking tool" for just those parts and then going right back to KB+M.

Sadly, last time I checked you had to go into a menu and switch on gamepad controls which then turned off KB+M until you switched it back. So you can do it, but I found switching every time more annoying than just hacking with KB+M.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

The PS2 had analog buttons - harder presses registered differently to softer presses, either accelerating quicker by holding X harder in driving games or the infamous dungeon in Star Ocean 3 where you needed to play four tunes with the circle button on a flute - either Hard Tap, Soft Tap, Hard Hold and Soft Hold. It was super finicky although some games used it well, but not many games told you about it.

The DS3 and Sixaxis did as well though no PS3 game ever really used it since driving games moved to the triggers instead, it was mostly for PS2 compatibility (great for emulation though). I never really had an issues with this because instead of trying to regulate your pressure, most games just had hard vs soft press which meant either pressing the centre of the button or the edge.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TheMostFrench posted:

It's pretty great. The moves also change slightly if you're holding a two handed weapon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94gSY08qKL4

This isn't even all of them, you can use the syringe to knock them out instead of slitting their throat. Man, mechanically MGS4 was really great, shame about everything else.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TheCool69 posted:

Also does anybody else remember the Desperados? It was a western version of Commandos!

I loved the first one, shame the sequels sucked. Robin Hood & Chicago 1930 the other games by the same dev were pretty good and in a similar style.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm gonna dispute this. Spoilers for a seven year old game, because there's poo poo in there I only got after multiple playthroughs.

Marburg can tell if you're playing him if you pick choices to piss him off at your meeting, but are generally his type of spy in the rest of the game. If you're unprofessional the whole time, he hates you and will fight to the death.

How you treat Grigori effects the loadout of the marines at the Russian embassy. If you smash him with the vodka bottle, they're armed to the teeth. This not only makes them more effective when you're trying to extract surkov, but if you show up in combat armor they'll let you right in

Those are just the two that come to mind while I'm three years out from my last playthrough. That game tracks a fuckload of subtle poo poo.

There is also some levels which track differences between non-lethal, lethal & actually ghosting the level and others track whether or not you bug 3 computers like the objective tells you to or if you bug a few extra just because you can. The game tracking & reacting to all that stuff is both why it was so amazing and why we'll never get a sequel(spiritual or otherwise) since it was so labour intensive. Shame the lovely combat and somewhat annoying minigames keeps it stuck at cult classic rather than bestseller.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I replayed the original Kane & Lynch recently and while it's not great overall at points it's decent tactical shooter with pretty functional squad commands(probably based on IOIs experience with Freedom Fighters) but the thing that makes it interesting is that it you play as a pair of complete gently caress-ups that basically fail at everything in the game but it never feels like they "reverse" what the player did in the way other games do, including IOI's own Hitman Absolution. Also the game has no sympathy for it's rear end in a top hat protagonists which is really refreshing since most games try to paint those as cool or edgy or in the case of games like Saints Row humorous. Everything really is their fault and it wrecks them & the people around them, even the ending where Kane tries to redeem himself leads to everyone getting killed.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Away all Goats posted:

I loved the damage modeling in that game. If you get lit the gently caress up wolverine will just be missing huge chunks of his flesh, which will slowly regenerate back in of course.

It's a shame its not on any digital distribution platforms

My favourite thing about that was that they made sure his tank-top didn't regenerate, so after taking enough damage overall he would be completely shirtless.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The entire survival game genre is build on meter management but I really wish more of them did the tiny thing Metal Gear Survive did: In Survive when you max out you Food or Water Bar it disappears for the UI until it reaches ~88% and I think it drains to that point slower as well. It makes it so that you feel prepared when you set out and feel drained as you go on expeditions instead of every other game where you start panicking because you bars are draining 5 steps from your base.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

A lot of games over the last years have tried to make bows their "iconic" weapon and it always put me of using them since a lot of the times it felt artificial or fetishistic. Metal Gear Survive has me using the bow a lot of the time because they understand it's garbage: it has massive drop, takes far too long to nock a new arrow etc. but it's ammo is dirt cheap so I'm using it whenever I can just to save ammo for my real guns. It also makes all the area defences feel different because that's when you load up on real weapons and ammo instead of travelling light w/ your cheap gear so you can carry as much resources as possible back to base.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

food court bailiff posted:

I don't really know anything about Metal Gear Survive other than that Kojima isn't at the helm, and I kind of assumed it would be 90% microtransaction cash grab. All the stories in this thread (and, ironically, the sister thread) sound super cool, though. It's more survivalist/exploration based?
Sure Kojima isn't directing but it seems most of the people on Survive worked on earlier MGS games, so you still have the people that did the actual work left. As far as I can tell the micro transaction are exactly the same as in MGSV: Only for extra character slots, resource boosts and emotes. The only one that's actually in you face is the exploration teams but otherwise you have to go look for them in submenus, I haven't even seen any mention of them in the loading screens either. But yeah the always online is pretty bullshit.

To me it scratches the same itch as Dying Light, and it's one of the few stealth games that encourages reconnaissance and multiple trips to achieve things instead of just winging it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

exquisite tea posted:

There's a segment in Hellblade where you can't see at all and have to navigate entirely through sound and/or controller vibration. It's also one of the most tense sequences in the game.

There was a horror game that came out last year (Perception?) where you play as a blind woman and see through vibration whenever you hit an object. It wasn't very well-reviewed though, as I recall.

Oh that Hellblade segment really was sound based huh? I couldn't figure it out so I had to just load up cheatengines speed hack and brute force it. Man that game really hosed up on the a11y side with the subtitles missing like 90% of dialogue and the rest being mistimed or wrong.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure they specifically stated that Quiet's powers come from the exact same parasites that gave The End his powers. And not that I think Quiet's design is in any way good, or that her story and explanation is anything but a stupid, contrived way to just have a dumb explanation why she has to be mostly naked - weren't her throat and lungs mostly destroyed in the intro of the game or something? Or has it been so long I just don't remember poo poo?

Her lungs and throat work well enough for her to speak so if that's what they were going for it didn't really work.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean what I've seen of MGSurvive, the problem is just that the hunger system is handled worse than Nethack's. It ticks down WAY too fast- it's more of a problem than the water system, which doesn't make sense since reality is the opposite (starvation can take weeks, but you die without water in a matter of days.) They seemed to fundamentally miscalculate the rate at which your "fullness" decays vs. how much food is out there.

The one problem with the meter decay(food & water) is that it doesn't communicate that it's the one game that does it right. MGSurvive is like the one game that gives you a bonus for maxing out your bar, it makes it go away and drains much slower for a few minutes, but no other game does that and it doesn't tell you that mechanic so most players just play it like other games, so it look like they drain fast and constantly.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Thinking back on it I really like that in Alpha Protocol you never figure out what the deal is with Sis. They closest you get is Thornton implying that she was sent to Albatross as a sacrifice to get G-22 to look away from someone/something, but there is never any information confirming that or even hinting at who did the bargain. It's pretty interesting that in a game about being a spy some information just isn't available despite doing everything right because the people involved just don't want to talk about it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sunswipe posted:

You can affect whether it's regular police or marines guarding the embassy, and you have the choice of killing some to get in or sneaking in. The endgame always reacts as if you killed some marines. It's annoying, but I chalk it up to Leyland not having information as complete as he thinks.

IIRC its based of which way you choose to enter the building, the roof is always counted as "lethal" while the front door is not.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ok, gently caress you people I surrender.

time for playthrough number 8 or so.

Hel has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Jul 26, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

scarycave posted:

And something about that was just really wonderful about how cheesy and pointless drawing that fight out really was.
Hey, Barry telling his daughter a loving oneliner makes that fight totally justified.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PubicMice posted:

Regarding tutorials, why not just have it unskippable by default but it becomes skippable if the game detects a save that's past it?

Doesn't really work in a lot of cases, like what if you double dip and buy the PC version later it would still force the tutorial on you, or you played it on your Exs console or whatever.
What we really need to do is change the culture around games so that people feel like going through the tutorial or playing on easy is totally OK to do an doesn't make you lesser in any way. Shadow Warrior 2 did a nice thing and basically said that Easy is for people that want to feel like superheroes and didn't need to prove anything. If people are ok with learning and playing on easier levels if it fits their skill level then we can have skippable tutorials without people not knowing how to play the game.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

food court bailiff posted:

This is one of the very few 'challenge' style games where I'm actually excited to go back through and try things differently. Do completed challenges carry over, if I buy Hitman 2 and import the Hitman 1 levels?

Nope, Hitman 2 has it's own progression and a tweaked unlock order.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Imo The quality of a Hitman level correlates strongly with two factors : area available in regular suit and the inverse of amount of targets over 1.

0 targets means traversal level and are the worst ones but otherwise it roughly checks out.

Colorado is therefore the worst Hitman 2016 level, still pretty ok and far from the worst in the series.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You need a goddamn spreadsheet to figure out how to buy Hitman 1+2 with all levels plus updates.

Isn't it just Hitman 2016 goty + Hitman 2 Gold edition? Now whether that's the cheapest option is another question.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ilmucche posted:

Half life with its entire lack of cutscenes? I think the surge has no breaks in it.

Doesn't Die Hard rely quite a bit on cutting away from Bruce Willis, to establish context and set up the story? Half life would be the opposite of that.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

muscles like this! posted:

A fun qte in Shenmue II is when you're learning martial arts from various guys and one of them is a barber who is teaching you how to remain motionless. He comes at you with a razor while a prompt flashes on screen but you fail if you hit it.

Additional fun, repeatedly and intentionally failing that QTE is pretty much the only way to actually game over in Shenmue 2, since every attempt takes a day and the game ends on a certain date if you haven't finished it yet. Iirc you have to spend almost half a year to actually get there though.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mierenneuker posted:

I fell down once and went “okay, is there a button combination to reset to the starting menu?”

Not that it excuses all the bullshit but i really miss when things was still a thing.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd love a GTA game to end with the Main character working with the police force as a plea bargain and arresting every lovely boss he's had throughout the game. Not allowing them a cool death or a meaningful sentiment, just "You're gonna sit in a small box for a few years, have fun! Play nice in the exercise yard with all your former enemies!" Then the FBI to take out the corrupt cops he learns about. Just "He's the best driver and fighter in the city, we may as well use him..."

Hell, just reverse the dynamic - instead of the bosses reducing you to their level, you encourage them to rise to yours. We need another Jimmy hopkins.

That's basically "Mafia", the framing story is the MC telling a cop everything they need to take down the local Don. Mafia does some really neat stuff with the gameplay systems and story, shame the writer is a neo-nazi.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

wafflemoose posted:

While it's annoying in practice, I did like the fact you actually have to obey traffic laws in the Mafia games.

This is part of why the story works so well, you start off believing the lie that the Mafia äre civilized and follow the rules and as that facade falls apart you start to master the system and longer need to follow the laws most of the time.

Mafia 2 works roughly the same way, but 3 changed up the formula.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kitfox88 posted:

MGSV's story had a lot of issues to put it mildly, but I do like that there's a reason that Kaz is so distrusting and second guesses Big Boss constantly and basically is an rear end in a top hat to you a lot of the time, since he's in on the fact that Venom Snake isn't actually Big Boss and he hates the plan that he's going along with for now

It's been a while since I played it but I thought the point was that Miller wasn't actually in on it, and he felt betrayed when he realised late in the game. iirc the only one of your crew that was actually in on it was Ocelot and the real big boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

No one has actually brought up the real way to follow the drat train: ride up a ramp and jump on it.