Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

flatluigi posted:

At this point I'm fairly confident the nier fishing thing is nobody's favorite little thing so can we please move on

SHHH! Your scaring away the fish! <:mad:>

Also I'm kind of in the boat that a lot of Nier quests are set up in a way that other JRPGS do it (having to farm rare drops or fetch quests to increase time and "difficulty") but I guess because its in Nier it must be that old Yoko Taro at it again.
The only real quest that is a huge joke on the player is the one where you chase that runaway son and get no reward whatsoever. Every other quest rewards you pretty well with either a decent amount of money or a weapon. And some sad story.

And Life in the Sands. Which I feel is less like a "I hate you" and more like "Players are going to super be into farming".

Though if Yoko ever made a statement about hating players I'd love to hear because that sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You forgot the flower breeding quest.

Life in the Sands is the flower breeding quest.
But I think that they just wanted a "master" farming quest. Since Nier was supposed to be a Frankenstein monster game.
If Yoko Taro really hated everyone - he'd make every other quest a vase transport quest.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm kind of mixed about the story of Xenoblade 2 so far, but some of these heart to heart moments left me with a big stupid grin on my face.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So Xenoblade 2 has this combat gimmick where you chain different element specials - to cause a chain reaction to deal more damage. And it's kind of fun mix and matching things. And if you can get a tier 3 reaction - you can create a little element bubble (one for each element that ended the reaction) on the enemy - which is code for how many rounds your chain attack is going to be. And it sounds weird, but it does feel really good to pull off - and it's not this complicated thing that's not worth it, found out first hand yesterday you get five of those bad boys on a boss, and your party is going to take it from a near full health bar to zero in one round.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RoboRodent posted:

I have never played Oblivion but I recently started playing Oblivion and I'm quite enjoying myself. Good lord the character creation, though.

Anyway my little thing is the fact that the eyebrow slider goes "light" to "dark" and there's so much bloom on everything that light eyebrows combined with a dark elf who I made very dark to hide some hideous textures makes it look like I have glowing eyebrows. This is hilarious. So of course this is what I chose to do.

The first thing I encountered in the game is a fellow prisoner saying "you're so beautiful, my dear dunmer maiden." Yeah, sure, whatever you say????

He just can't resist my glowing eyebrows.

(Yes it's a photo of my TV screen, bite me)

I like how facial hair in oblivion - is just a shader on certain parts on the face. And body.

And since that all characters have the same physical build - the only way they can make characters appear to be "fat" or "skinny" is by inflating/deflating the head, so you'll occasionally run into a dude that looks like he got stung by a gently caress ton of bees.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I complained a bit about it yesterday.

But Salvaging in Xenoblade 2 nets you money ridiculously fast, letting you build up your development ranks like crazy. I really wish I understood it earlier, but the interface isn't really clear what your getting at exchanges since it kind of looks like they're asking for money for some "item" instead of the "item" just being a heap of money and not really existing. And going from just scrounging up money to buy everything from shops for deeds - to being near set for game life is great.

The issue about boosters remains, but I did find that you can sell them for garbage money - but at least I don't have to keep throwing out core crystals.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ashsaber posted:

And there are amazing QoL deeds that get you +20 to booster capacity, and later like +30 to the capacity of every buyable consumable.

Oh yeah, I've been buying them all now - finally found the faster walking speed I've been searching for so now its just fun to zip around the map, and god I wish this showed up sooner.
I also have really been neglecting a lot of the "consumable" bonuses too. They are good.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Xenoblade 2 is a game that likes to throw high level monsters in low level early areas - but it feels really good to go back to those places and just kick everyone's poo poo in who had menaced you hours ago.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Still playing Xenoblade 2, and I got to say I'm really loving the set pieces for the latest area's of the game. Just this really dusty fallout esque-town sitting on top of a huge loving space station, and unlike the last destroyed city from the past - this one is just super quiet and chill and it feels really right for some reason.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So, I've been doing the dlc quests of Xenoblade 2, got into a fight with this high level monster - half way through the fight, he got knocked down on a small hill - but resumed battle standing on a 90 degree angle stuck in the ground, before eventually getting reclaimed by mother earth and sinking into the depths from which he came by falling through the floor.

Also did get the dlc (wish I had gotten the "booster" upgrade from a shop before I burned through the legendary cores they gave you) and one of the quest fights ended against 3 drivers - who constantly kept screaming "SMALL FRY", and it's just always funny to me when everyone in the game gets into a screaming match.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Lighting Returns is a game where Lightning runs around like an rear end in a top hat making entire species extinct by farming for drops.
I enjoyed it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

My Lovely Horse posted:

poo poo I thought that was just one of those internet exaggerations for comedy :v:

The way it works in game - is that when there's one enemy left, all the dead souls will pour into the last of its kind to prevent itself from dying off - leading to a purple variant called "the last one".
It will be the only enemy of that type that will show up, and once its dead - the species is gone completely.

There's a quest where you need to kill a certain monster to get tickets. But if its extinct before then, all the tickets will spawn at the quest site for easy completion.

Cactuars were the first to get wiped out for me. Rip prickly dudes.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Polishing off the remaining quests in Xenoblade 2, one of the quests ended with the reveal of an ancient Nopon Language.
Which was just plain english, the reason why Nopon's speak like Jarjar is because an ancient pirate captian figured they'd be able to control the world easier if they played dumb and acted "cute" around humans by speaking like that and making sure they're fur is extra fluffy.

Finally some world building that I can get behind in this game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

PubicMice posted:

A few pages back, but this reminds me of another game with a similar theme, and that's actually my favorite thing about that game. So basically, what I'm reading in this post is that Lightning Returns is the Dark Souls of Final Fantasy :v:

Actually it's bloodborne.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Xenoblade 2 added some stuff today - one being a new quest where you get a new blade.
During the quest you find an item called the not safe for work-folio . It got a decent giggle out of me.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I played Kirby's Epic yarn with my brother yesterday. It's still a super pretty game.
And there's still a sense of urgency despite the immortality thing because its horrifying watching all your beads scramble and then you and your co-op buddy go into animal instinct mode trying to get them back.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Got Bloodstained Curse of The Moon - It's like Castlevania 3 and the GBA/3DS castlevania's had a baby.
I like how the main dude acts like a complete rear end in a top hat to every party member he meets.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I finished Nightmare mode in Curse of the Moon, and that final fight was amazing. It's pretty much a mix between Dawn of Sorrow's Evil Soma boss fight and Shovel Knight's final boss fight where you have your friends in the background that help you dodge, and hit the boss.

I'm now doing a sacrifice run, where you kill all your battle buddies, and the abilities you get from doing that change the feel of the game completely.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Xenoblade 2 released some dlc today - part of it adds Shulk and Fiora which is nice, but a really nice touch that comes with that is the return of visions - which was the most interesting thing about Xenoblade, so its really nice to see that back.

It also adds costumes which is also cool. Was getting really tired of Rex's space suit.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Jun 15, 2018

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Leal posted:

Does Pyra get an even more revealing outfit? Asking for a friend.

She gets her cloak disguise from chapter 2(?) - so a less revealing costume surprisingly.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Leal posted:

Into the dragging things down thread with it :v:

Honestly, out of the costumes I've unlocked it was one of the better one's because it's not just a texture recolor.
I'm kind of disappointed that Dromarch's is just a bad paint job of a bengal tiger and not wearing his sleeping hat.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Freaking out for the first time when you encounter a Redead. And then never taking them seriously again once you catch their sick dance moves.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Calaveron posted:

Tarin is an explicit Mario reference, you need a Yoshi doll in order to progress, you need a Chain Chomp in order to progress, there’s goombas and piranha plants in the platforming segments

A cool thing about the chain chomp that I learned 20 years later, is that while he's with you - he can detect secret seashells buried in the ground. So there's actually a benefit to not turning him in right away that's really easy to miss.
Link's Awakening is definitely the best of the GB Zelda's by far. The only thing wrong with the game is having to hit every button at once to save.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Played Hat in Time for the first time in a few months, I love how Paper Marioish the writing is. I don't know if that's the proper term - but its really pleasant.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been playing Resident Evil: Revelations 2: Electric Boogaloo and it's pretty good. For like a 20 dollar game. I think I've been having more fun with this than 7.
I actually like that there's more of a reason to switch between you and your partner, due to them having different functions - one that points at things, and the other that shoots the things. It also helps that only one of you can really die - the fighty one.

It works really well during the final boss of Claire and Moira's scenario - where you have to keep the boss lukewarm with your flash light, to show how utterly useless the new virus is - and then you have Claire shoot it. And you have to constantly switch between them, whenever the boss starts going after Claire to dodge, and then back to Moira to try and re-aggro him and keep him warm. So your constantly flipping around characters to dodge and then counter with the other - and it feels really good.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Finished Resident Evil Revelations 2 - and the final boss was a really good blend of being super unsettling - and at the same time, pretty hilarious - due to the voice actor for it sounding like they are making baby gaga sounds at a three year old. Though the build up down the final corridors to her is on par with the guy yelling "mayday" from the first revelations.

The end of the 2nd phase is also great, you switch between Claire sniping the Wesker to slow her down as Barry auto-runs to a cave, and then switches to him for a bit and repeats.
After you get enough hits in - Barry's like "I'm done" and tells Claire to use the real gun a rocket launcher that was right next to her the entire time - and that Barry knew about apparently and she just instantly kills it.

And something about that was just really wonderful about how cheesy and pointless drawing that fight out really was.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Hel posted:

Hey, Barry telling his daughter a loving oneliner makes that fight totally justified.

Barry gives all his kids one liners when he tucks them in for bed. Barry probably says good-bye to his wife with a one-liner when he leaves for work.

Another REV 2 thing: The ghost and goblins minigame where you play as Barry is also a really amazing little thing.

And something that applies to Resident Evil as a whole, is how oblivious or in blatant denial the guys that write notes and journals are. There's an entry late in the game about how weird it is that they keep hiring all these new people constantly that seemingly never leave the building.

"Guess there must be another exit I don't know about. Thank you for all the jobs. :)"

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Convex posted:

What how do you unlock that?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think it's only in the Switch version unfortunately.

Yeah. It is for the Switch version only.
You have to do one Raid mode mission, and then anytime you examine the communist propaganda in the lobby, it will bring you to the minigame.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Why did I not hear about this remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Got back into playing FF9 - and I loved everything that happened with Cleyra.

Starts off with this chill little tour of rat town, building up the lore of the place and characters - then you get to watch a bunch of river dancing rats and then you get to watch the town get blown to pieces not even 10 minutes since you've been introduced to everything.