Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Man I really hope there's a Nintendo 64 classic mini and it's either full of bizarre impossible poo poo like hybrid heaven and body harvest or people crack it to finally figure out how to do perfect Nintendo 64 emulation

I would be shocked if we saw an N64 classic mini before the creation of perfect N64 emulation. If I recall correctly, people that have cracked open Nintendo's prior "play classic games" systems have found open-source emulators at the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've been replaying Warship Gunner 2, an old Playstation 2 game, and my god I can waste a lot of time in the ship designer. It's a core concept, so I guess not really a little thing, but honestly it's great and more games need to do stuff like this. The way it works is you get a hull, and you need to stick engines, a power source (e.g. boilers or a nuclear reactor), a bridge, guns, etc. on there. They each take up space, some on the deck, some belowdecks, some take both, and your guns may have their firing angles restricted by what's put next to them. So it's a huge ol' puzzle game of trying to cram as much ordinance as possible onto your ship without compromising its performance or making said ordinance effectively useless. Every mission you complete gets you research points to spend on unlocking new parts, so there's a sort of RPG level-up process in play too -- you start out with pretty dinky little guns on a destroyer, and gradually upgrade to battleships and aircraft carriers armed with ridiculously huge artillery, CIWS, vertical-launch missiles, etc.

I've had a surprisingly large number of missions where I've needed to go back to the designer and adjust my loadout to better match the requirements of the mission. For example, one of the boss fights is against a gigantic flying bomber (oh yeah, the setting is alt-universe WW2 with bizarro futuretech sprinkled in), and my 50cm main deck guns couldn't track it effectively, so I made a battleship whose primary armament was 25 57mm rotating cannons. Sort of a naval A-10 Warthog; the deck was just totally covered by big ol' machine guns. Then another mission puts you up against a huge fleet of cruisers armed with cruise missiles, so I've had to sacrifice some of my heavy-hitting capacity in favor of more point-defense.

Basically: realistic wargames this is not, but it is a poo poo-ton of fun and I wish more games did the "design your own loadout" thing with this level of freedom.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

Personally, thing I've been tired of since Half-Life 2: Throwing physics objects at people. The novelty of blasting toilets and radiators at folks was a great time, don't get me wrong, but for a while, every game jammed a gravity gun in their armory (looking at you, Timesplitters 3) and I was super over it by the time Fallout 3 featured it, let alone FO4.

Timesplitters 3 had a gravity gun? I do not remember this. :stare:

I do remember the gloriously stupid acting and the time Cortez had to team up with three alternate-timeline selves to deal with some set-piece so you got to do the same set-piece from four different perspectives (and get a password from a future self, then be the future self giving the password, hooray for closed time loops).

Timesplitters 2 probably had better missions, but Timesplitters 3 was still a good, aha, time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've been playing Warship Gunner 2, and I just made a ship that mounts ten 100cm deck guns as its primary armament. I cannot stop laughing, and the fact that I'm annihilating enemy ships with part of a single volley only adds to the amusement.

Sure, it used up most of the displacement allotment on a ship that's basically a battleship-sized catamaran, and sure, there's more effective loadouts I could be using with more, smaller guns. But those guns would be smaller.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I keep hearing about the warship gunner games are (I think they were released in North America as the Naval Ops games?). Are they actually good and fun to play, or is it a broken mess that's only redeemed by the "What the gently caress?" aspects of the ship building?

I've only played Warship Gunner 2, but it really holds up well. You can think of it as basically being an arcade naval sim crossed with an RPG levelup mechanic: beat missions, get experience, spend experiencing on unlocking new "skills" (buildable ship components), choose which skills to slot into your ship. Except that that latter step is this big interlocking system of constraints and tradeoffs. The component has to physically fit onto the ship, it has to not overlap with other components, its mass adds to your displacement (reducing your speed unless you fit more turbines/reactors, which take up their own space), it may require increasing your armor coverage which also adds to your displacement, and every ship has a different max displacement and different hull shape which can allow for different loadouts. The Mark VI Japanese battleship has lower health than the Mark V but has a higher max displacement and wider hull which makes it possible to fit three large main guns side-by-side, for example.

The arcade part of the game also holds up well. There's a campaign with a fairly shallow but non-intrusive story tacked onto it, and it can be replayed in New Game+ with alternate, more powerful enemy layouts. You get a level select, some silly bonus missions, a boss rush, etc. The postgame can get grindy as gently caress (for example, one unlockable requires destroying 999 of a ship type that shows up in quantities of at most 4 per mission), but there's not a lot of point to the grinding since there's no horrible superboss that you need the grindy unlockables for.

The biggest complaint I have about the game is that a lot of the weapons end up being of very little use. In New Game+ you unlock this big ol' pile of laser weapons, which look really cool, but unlike the main deck guns, you can only fire one of them at a time, so they have pathetic damage output. There's also very little reason to not use the biggest battleship you possibly can, which makes destroyers, cruisers, and carriers fall by the wayside pretty quickly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The first thing I did when I got the gloo gun was climb a nonfunctional elevator shaft. The devs were fully aware of what it could do, and did most of their actual progress gating with key cards. Which is kind of a shame; I'd've liked to see a version of the game where you really could go nearly anywhere in the station right from the start if you knew how to use your bag of tricks effectively. I understand why they didn't do that though; imagine the moaning if people sequence-broke into a lategame area and got pasted by the enemies there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fair warning about something in Prey; you absolutely shouldn't take the escape pod as your first ending. It spoils a lot more than it really should.

Nah, totally go and do it. It's not spoilers, it's storytelling.

And yeah, I gloo-gunned my way to the escape pod too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

This is amazing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PubicMice posted:

Do you CoH/CoV players have any opinion on Twixt?

Never played the game, but that article is basically "dude acts like a shitheel, is surprised when people get upset." Sure his actions were legal according to the game rules, but they violated (perfectly reasonable) social norms.

I mean, I'm not going to pretend the players that sent the guy death threats were justified. But if you're gonna grief, then you should expect people will get mad.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's always nice to have villains that are motivated by something other than "lol evil" or "I'm a nihilist THEREFORE KILL EVERYONE". Does Tyranny give you options for how you justify your actions to yourself? That is, does it let you see yourself as a good person even though you're doing evil things?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

I greatly enjoyed ALttP as a kid but I replayed it a couple of years ago and it was slow as gently caress

I didn't even get the first Pendant

I watch a lot of LttP Randomizer races when I lack the brainpower to do something actually useful. Thank god for the 200% playback speed; at that speed it actually looks like a reasonably-paced game.

It took a bit of practice before I could understand the commentators though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

i repeatedly beat the original bubsy

Like, with a hammer?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Have you talked to any of the trees yet?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Has there been a Nintendo console since the Virtual Boy that didn't get a Zelda game?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I just started playing Iconoclasts, which is a very prettily-rendered (pixel art) 2D platformer game. So far not too much about it stands out, except you have a ground-pound ability, and when you use it on an enemy its sprite squishes and rebounds, sort of like a springboard, which just looks and feels fantastic.

You also get the occasional dialog prompt, which so far has consistently let me sound like a crazy person. A+ will always tell random people "I have a bomb!" when they ask if I'm a mechanic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Anthony was one of the better parts about Other M though.

Pretty much the only good part in fact.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
In fact, Anthony could make a plausible Smash character. Between the standard-issue marine rifle, ice pistol, and charged plasma beam, he's only short one special (which I guess would need to be a recovery move). And of course his #1 taunt would be "Remember me?" :v:

Really the biggest problem is that it'd feel kind of weird for all of the characters from a franchise to be "heavy", and it's hard to justify Anthony not being heavy since he's a huge armored dude with a gigantic gently caress-off laser cannon. I mean, I guess Samus isn't heavy when out of her armor, but the Zero Suit design is stupid and I refuse to use it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Captain Falcon is even weirder, especially considering how long there hasn't been an F-Zero game.

Dude's had an established (and flamboyant) character design for ages, and an anime where he blows up a galaxy with a Falcon Punch. Hell, all of the racers in F-Zero have wacky character designs that would fit right in in City of Heroes/Villains. When Brawl came out and Pit was in it, he hadn't had a game since 1991. Falcon fits right in.

Honestly the #1 criteria for inclusion in a Smash game is "do gamers have fond memories of this character / their game(s)". AFAICT that's pretty much the only reason why Samus was in Smash to begin with: she's a first-party character in a series that had a wildly popular (in the US) game. Same goes for Fox.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Zero. Suit. Anthony.

Hey, fair's fair. If you're gonna stuff Samus into a stripper suit then you should at least have the decency to horribly objectify some men, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Zero Suit Kraid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lechtansi posted:

I haven’t been following smash, can you give specifics about what brawl and 4 did so well?

Brawl has a pretty badass cutscene where Ridley grabs Samus, flies into the air, and then slams and grinds her against a wall. Like Cleretic said, it was pretty much stolen for Other M.

I don't know about Smash 4, but "has a better <anything> than Other M" is damning with faint praise. Probably the best Ridley fight in the series proper would be either Super Metroid or Prime 1. Somehow not really surprising considering Prime 1's game design is basically "Super Metroid, except in first-person".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Finished up Iconoclasts, and while on the whole I can't really recommend it, I do appreciate the setting. I mean, it's not really a little thing, but setting the entire game on a planet-shaped, but clearly artificial, fuel depot, with the final boss, about which an entire religion was based, being an alien that just wants to tank up its spaceship is really a fantastic way to have a "big mystery" with a resolution that is going to completely blindside most players, without feeling like an asspull.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Was there content hinting at what you spoilered in the game? The ending sort of surprised me but I had long chalked it up to “oh they’re doing a final fantasy” so I wasn’t blindsided.

I don't believe so, but if you think about what the game does tell you about the setting, it's not at all unreasonable. Specifically:
  • Humans colonized this planet from space.
  • The planet is artificial.
  • Ivory is this amazingly energy-dense substance that we don't know how to make.
  • A Star-Worm visits irregularly, for unknown reasons.
Since we don't know how the place works, either aliens built it, or humans built it and then forgot. The latter case seems unlikely; at least some records ought to have survived a cataclysm. So why would aliens build an artificial planet and fill it with an energy-dense liquid, then leave?

This is all post-hoc reasoning; when I first saw the final boss I laughed and went "Really?!" But as I thought about it, it actually made sense and was justifiable from the setting clues.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sad lions posted:

There were hints. Earlier you find the pods they use to make their leader class/agents and while you learn earlier that people that people that fail to 'ascend' just sort of vanish, you see under the pods and it seems the failures are liquified into the ivory that they've been using to power all their tech. Their god at the end was pissed that their opulence had drained the reserves and failed to sacrifice enough people to supply for its needs .

I don't want to turn this thread into a CIA document, and as it turns out there's already an Iconoclasts thread with plenty of plot discussion. But I quibble with your conclusion; I'd argue that what you're referring to is waste, not product.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Palace of Darkness is really good the same way Forest Temple is really good. It's tough! It's a lot more complex than any of the Light World dungeons and the enemies hit like trains, just also hammering home that the real Zelda is only just starting. But yeah it's just a nightmare labyrinth of keys and pits and tricks. I think aside from Turtle Rock it's probably the most confusing of any of the dungeons.

I remember Turtle Rock being pretty linear. Like, it wraps around itself, but at any given point you only have one or maybe two options in terms of which direction to go in, so it's pretty straightforward to navigate. Palace of Darkness is vastly more interconnected. And Ice Palace (at least on SNES) is my pick for most confusing, since you need to figure out how the dungeon's big loop works while also managing the state of the floor switches if you want to solve it correctly.

Or you can just do what everyone else did and go get the Cane of Somaria from Misery Mire.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you're gonna have a sewer level, TMNT is one of the few pop-culture references you can make that isn't passing judgement on something, because they actually live in the sewer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Erotic Wakes posted:

Captain Martin Walker is the rear end in a top hat. You're just playing as him. You are still a good person.

If the game presents me with options of "be a dick" or "stop playing", there's decent odds I'll take the latter.

I just finished playing Momodora III (as far as I can tell, a prequel to the probably-better-known Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight). It's a cute little linear action platformer with basically zero explanation of anything. I beat the final boss and there was a fade-to-black and then an explanation that though I had killed the Queen of Hell, ghosts were still plaguing my village, BAD END. Oh cool, that's the motivation for the game then I guess.

Turns out all you need to do to get the GOOD END is beat the boss, but then talk to her at the end, instead of execute her. This causes her to die anyway! But she gets replaced by a cute fuzzy thing (apparently the new Queen of Hell) which apologizes for all the fuss and promises to fix everything.

It's completely unexplained and ridiculous, and I love it. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Erotic Wakes posted:

Anarcute is a French indie game that plays like a mashup of Pikmin and State of Emergency that unfortunately was overlooked because they were one of the few indie games to throw their lot in with Xbox One exclusivity, but independent of the core gameplay the soundtrack is a wonderful little thing. It's almost like an inverse Hotline Miami in that the music is a huge part of the game's mood and is very synth heavy but is more about being chill and cute than intense and haunting, it even has a series of Miami stages with one of the best tracks in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYjv-df5KE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hldGhy2Ot60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwitA_-w-UA

Good lord, y'all need to check out the trailer for this game. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Safeword posted:

A few minutes later one of the bad guys is absolutely furious with his boss because Lara is, like, tied up right there and shooting her in the head will solve all their problems, but he's not allowed to. So their plan fails.

This reminds me of the best character in Iconoclasts, a villain whose repeated refrain is "Look, this person right here is causing no end of problems, I have a gun, just let me shoot her."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I guess the "get an overpowered party member for a bit" thing in RPGs would only really count as being an escortee if the enemies you faced were powerful enough that you needed the escort. More commonly you're facing average mooks that the player could perfectly well take on on their own, with the escort just being there as a safety net or for plot reasons.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Inco posted:

Ideally you want to roll 9 Luck and 9 Endurance. Endurance dictates how many implants you can have installed at the clinic, and at 9 Luck you'll still be able to clean out a couple of small casinos to afford the implant that will permanently increase your Luck. Then you clean out more casinos to get the implants that will increase your other stats, including Endurance (which will also increase the number of implants you can have).

This "maximize your implants" thing reminds me of this classic Shadowrun story.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

If you want to kill someone, there are worse ways than opening up the femoral artery.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sininu posted:

Use them?

Sure, reployers have plenty of uses. You can throw them at enemies to get their attention, for example.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

There was a story about some publisher execs wanting to cut the pistol out of the original Deus Ex. "We just don't see players using it".

:psypop:

This gets even funnier when you think about all the games where a pistol is pretty much the best weapon available for a wide range of situations. Deus Ex of course it makes an ideal ranged silent lethal weapon, then there's the infamous sniper pistol in Halo 1, the revolver in Half-Life 1/2, etc. I think my favorite for overpowered pistols is Alpha Protocol, where high-level pistol skills let you just stop time and land 5 headshots in whatever targets.

Other weapons are hampered by poor accuracy, slow firing rate, and/or short range, but not the pistol! :psyduck:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
And then there's Parasite Eve, where you could get the grenade launcher, extract the "fires grenades" aspect of it as a mod, and then apply that mod to your pistol.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The one that gets me the most is Pamela, the little girl in Ikana Canyon, and her father.

Never don't help these two. :smith:

(also featuring the best voice acting in the game, and I mean that seriously)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

Can't forget the classic.

Gunpoint also has this cheevo: "Title Finally Relevant: Help justify my early, not entirely wise choice of game name by holding someone at gunpoint with the Resolver."

Most, or all if you decide to, of the game can be played without ever making use of a gun.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
When I played AP for the first time, my friends were all waiting for me to run into SIE.

Turns out if you do a particular conversation correctly, you get to skip the mission she's introduced in, so she never even enters the story. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Synthetik is a mostly-serious top-down tactical shooter. But then there's the 420 SniperDragon, a laser sniper rifle whose special ability is 360 Noscope. When it's equipped, the game tracks how far you've turned recently, and if you spin 360 degrees, then you get a short-lived but substantial damage boost. Have fun spinning around and then trying to land headshots! Seriously, it's fun.

(Synthetik is also super-fun, go play it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I love that kind of thing. Here's how they got the perspective in Link Between Worlds (a 3D game) to match that of Link to the Past: