Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

I knew I had done that in some other game. Christ what a forgettable series Crysis turned out to be.

The original Crysis was quite a bit of fun, as long as you accepted that it was just a dumb, pretty shooter that was less constricting than other games on the market. Then for the sequel they decided that all this open environment stuff isn't worth it and turned it into a corridor shooter. :downs: By the sounds of it Homefront 2 is shaping up to be pretty non-linear, so hopefully they recapture the original Crysis in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

In addition, Crysis 1 ends with you, Nomad, your British buddy, Psycho, and scientist Helena Rosenthal flying back to the island you just escaped from, now covered in an ice sphere and inhabited by aliens.

Crysis 2 opens with you, some Marine, defending New York from aliens.

Apparently what happens between the games is explained in a comic book. Nomad and Prophet (the original one, not the ghost in the shell one) go through a teleporter to the moon or mars or something, then Nomad gets shot and dies. None of this is mentioned in Crysis 2.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

Not sure if it's been posted yet - Only up to about Page 13 here, but someone reminded me of it. I am the only person on Earth who actually liked Singularity, the FPS.

I'm pretty sure most people who played it liked Singularity.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

"Telltale Games will remember this" :haw:

those are words. well done. good post.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I can definitely see why someone would choose to not get any augs at all, but once you've got one you're on neuropozyne forever anyway so you may as well get more.

lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you posted this in the wrong thread you loving rear end in a top hat

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kalos posted:

As a Watcher you're also assaulted with the souls of phenomenally boring people.

don't forget all the poorly written lesbian erotica

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

more Witcher 3 fun, when you first rock into a village most of the peasants will be scared of you and guards are wary of you and make threats, because you're a heavily armed mutant albino. however as you complete quests and fulfil monster contracts the villagers will warm to you until the peasants are thanking you for your help and the guards are complimenting you on your skills. and then you head off to the next village and you're a pariah again.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

My favourite little thing about Witcher 3 is that somehow a company whose first game released 8 years ago was the quintessential Eastern-European RPG (complex, deep and charming but extremely rough around the edges with a lovely translation and a seething hatred for the player) managed to make their third release the best modern open-world RPG on the market.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Absolution is aggressively mediocre. It's not outright bad but you're definitely not missing anything if you don't play it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Welcome to the "PYF little things in games" thread. Here we post little things in games that we like. It's a safe place for people to talk about games and the little things they like in the games. It's okay that you do not like this particular game or series of games, but if someone else does that's okay too. There are probably other threads to talk about all the things you don't like about games. A game that you do not enjoy can have parts that other people enjoy, and this is the correct place for them to talk about those things. Even objectively bad games can have little things to enjoy. I appreciate your contribution to the larger discussion, but it seems to me that it does not further the discussion of little things that are peoples favorites, and in fact appears to denigrate a fellow goon's taste and experience. This is an example of a post that contains a favorite thing from a video game (as is this thread's stated purpose):

it's almost like he was responding to someone else's post

pulp rag posted:

Is Absolution a good game? I've heard almost nothing about it. I know it's a bit late for the Steam sales, but if it's pretty decent, I'd be willing to drop some cash on it.

Also, I've never played any other Hitman game, if that's anything.

:bravo:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's effectively the exact same thing, but it's harder to tell when you've dealt no damage and when you're just too weak to hurt the enemy much. :mrgw:

Except hitting and dealing no damage is still a thing in Morrowind too? In Morrowind there are four cases: you miss the enemy physically, you hit the enemy physically but miss on the roll, you hit the enemy physically, hit on the roll but your weapon is too weak to do damage or you hit the enemy physically, hit on the roll and your weapon does damage. Oblivion and Skyrim take out the second case because having two possibilities for failure - one player-based and one character-based - before the game even begins damage calculations is questionable design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know what made me think of this now, but I liked that in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the whole game was basically you telling a story to someone. When you loaded up a save, it would start with you saying something like,
"Alright,t now where were we?"

And if you died and reloaded, you'd go,
"No wait...that's not what happened."

Then the twist at the end is that you're telling this story to the princess, who you meet early on in the game and helps you out, but then like 99% of the game doesn't actually happen because you put the Sands of time back, so she doesn't know you or believe your cockamamie story.

And then the Two Thrones, the third game in the trilogy, ends with the Prince talking to the same woman, saying the same words he spoke at the start of the first game (due to time bullshit I don't think the woman in this timeline experienced the events of the first game). It's a pretty neat narrative tool even if it wasn't always used to its fullest.