Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

To add to the Deus Ex: HR chat, I loved the tech guy's office. Posters of motorbikes, CRT monitors stacked to make a bridge - Obviously small touches, but it's the small touches that really set up someone as a developed character.

And the token future Final Fantasy poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Blacklist has the single greatest line if you keep slipping into air vents during a fight:

"He's in the loving VENTS. AGAIN. :byodood:"

The guy just sounds so exasperated and whiny.

The Splinter Cell games have always had great dialogue. Same as the Batman Arkham series, the leftover NPC's get progressively more freaked out until its one guy screaming at the walls and firing randomly into the darkness.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OptimusShr posted:

Another great bit is when you see the Geth archives or the morning war and you see a Geth pick up a sniper rifle. Shepard remarks that :"That rifle looks like the one you used to use."
he pauses before he says "It was a popular model."

Those little hints that Legion was more human that he seemed really stuck out to me.

Plus with the LtSB DLC, his secret communications reveal he plays the poo poo out of the ME2 future Call of Duty game and has been put on probation multiple times for taunting his opponents.

And with the Quarian romance VN he scores a 10/100 because he can't figure out how to make a Quarian waifu love him.

quote:

Galaxy of Fantasy:
Most Used Character: John Smith, Level 612 Ardat-Yakshi Necromancer
Group Affiliation: N/A
Most Recent Boss Defeated: K'l'rh, Rachni Blood Wizard
Awards:
- Best Supporter/Healer (Event: Scourge of the Thresher Dragon)
- Best Unit Efficiency (Event: Return of the Cyber-Protheans)
- Winner (Event: Crystal Genophage Elimination Platinum)
Infractions:
- Suspected use of VI play assistance (direct control of twenty-seven pets without use of behavior macros); challenged and overturned
- Suspected use of VI play assistance (reaction time better than possible for organics); challenged and overturned
- Suspected use of hacking for direct server access (tactics better than possible without knowledge of underlying code behavior); challenged and overturned
- Unsportsmanlike behavior (taunting during Crystal Genophage Elimination Platinum); accepted 3-day account suspension

N7 Code of Honor: Medal of Duty:
Player Score: 15,999,999,999 (max)
Most Preferred Class: Sniper
Least Preferred Class: Melee
Sniper Rifle Kills: 200,917 since last server reset
Shotgun Kills: 3

Grim Terminus Alliance:
Award: Abolitionist (Complete full playthrough without any slave kills, free all slaves encountered)
Award: Cure for What Ails You (Kill 100+ quarians)

Geth Attack: Eden Prime Fundraising Edition:
Donation Level: Ultra Platinum
Player Score: 0 (Purchased but not played)

Fleet and Flotilla: Interactive Cross-Species Relationship Simulator:
"Based on the Bestselling Vid!"
Playtime: 75 hours, 6 minutes
Player Score: 15 (Hopeless)

pentyne has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jul 14, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

With the morph power you can also become the nerf dart. you are very squeaky but also I'm pretty sure you're one of the smallest objects in the game, so it's a great way to sneak through cracks that are obscured by a big object, or a broken door.

Prey 2017 is the textbook definition of "any way can work" and pulls it off in such an understand manner you don't even realize how much freedom you have in the game from the start and it slowly reveals as you explore that nearly everything is open to you in one way or another.

I have a series of posts of me in the Prey thread starting the game, getting my rear end kicked repeatedly, figuring it out, and finally reaching the point where I am a god of fury and power laying waste to all enemies in the game as I casually dig through every container looking for more resources.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it feels like Warhammer (both 40k or Fantasy, really) works best either at the really small scale where you can appreciate all the viciousness and aesthetic up close, or in the really big scale where you can appreciate the, well, scale. DoW2 was close enough that it was incredibly satisfying to kill just a single squad by landing that hand grenade throw just right. Conversely, Total Warhammer is at it's best when you've got literally a thousand dudes brawling it out while heavy artillery batteries and massive giants tear wide swathes through them.

DoW3 meanwhile ended in an awkward middle position where it's too big for the former but really not big enough for the latter. Well, that, and a bunch of other assorted issues.

DoW3 was such a massive disaster in every way I rage quit solo play 1/3 of the way into the game.

I played the first 2 games to death, probably played DoW2+expansions once a year for a few straight years but my god did relic miss literally everything people loved about their franchise in their quest to make a moba.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know what to call it but being 70 hours in XB1 and still spending time running around just to mindlessly kill enemies and collect a bunch of blue spheres still has not gotten boring. There's got to be a term for this kind of effortless item farming in a game somehow being enjoyable.

Think it might help from the game music being so incredibly good. I've spent hours doing this without any other distraction, when I would normally have youtube or netflix going in the background.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Having played Kotor 2, what games have crafting-systems that are completely optional, yet also disgustingly powerful?

Kingdoms of Amalur. You can basically make god tier items pretty early on but they all look extremely simple and boring, meanwhile rare item drops will be like a shield with a lions mouth that breathes flames every time you block.

Fallout 4 is kind of a weird bastardization of it, as you pretty much have to specialize in some kind of crafting to maintain damage creep on your primary weapon as the alternative is having to loot hundreds of enemies hoping to find the upgraded parts to swap out.

Greedfall , you can make tons of insanely cool and pretty looking stuff but it's all just whatever is going to make damage spike the highest.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

What exactly is "the twist" in Get Out.

white liberals aren't actually good people

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of "beloved game developer returns to create spiritual successor" projects tend not to work out because by the time they finally get going, the developer in question has been out of practice for quite some time and their ideas have either become outdated or slavishly devoted to antiquated features from their earlier work.

also for a lot of those people they really do need some kind of directoral oversight to rein in their creative impulses to produce their best work. good developers aren't necessarily good directors and goods directors are rare in general.

Push El Burrito posted:

My favorite Kickstarter sequel was Shenmue because they remembered the best part was the absolutely terrible voice acting.

that and the creator was absolutely convinced he had solved game design perfectly in 2000 and nothing needed to be changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Super Mario 64 was basically Nintendo clearly reinventing the genre from the ground up.

Of course, the trick is that's basically what Mario is for, they ended up treating him as the company mascot that can be used in all kinds of different games to have a unifying aesthetic. I think Splatoon spent some time in prototyping as a Mario shooter (wonder if they ended up reusing some ideas for Mario x Rabbids) before they figured out what direction they wanted to go. I imagine they probably do it a lot with Mario and co as placeholders they may or may not keep around if they don't come up with any better ideas.

Also on that note, Wonderful 101 apparently originally began life as being Nintendo themed, and they kept in a lot of things as easter eggs from that, like the Hand weapon tossing fireballs like Mario, and the Sword cutting grass like Link. (introduced in the ancient ruins of Lorule no less. Not the Link Between Worlds one) Gun was probably originally meant to be Samus. (And of course the larger Gun mode is a Super Scope)

The coolest thing about M64 was they didn't think players would understand the concept of a 3D adjustable camera, so that's why they introduced it as a lakitu following you around.