Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

smuh posted:

That's actually a shortcut, but you have to aim your jump through the doorway pretty well. Also have to be ballsy since that jump looks preeetty intimidating the first time.

No jump required. Beat up the dog next to the ledge you'd jump from, point yourself at the door and then just walk straight off. You land right on the door.

My favorite thing about that game is actually the boss in that area, for two reasons.

1. It is completely optional, it just requires you to do some thinking about the area and some shortcut shenanigans.
2. The entire fight is A goddamn Smough & Ornstein trap that is fully intent on wrecking your poo poo. As soon as I walked in the room, I said "oh gently caress no" and within about 30 seconds I was facefirst on the floor of the arena, three lucerne-toting bosses waiting to show me just how good that poo poo weapon is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In MGS4 you can have the same thing happen if you roll around in the barrel disguise too much.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

During the Sorrow fight you can also laugh in his smug face if you have a no-kill run. Total Sorrow boss-time: 30 seconds :smug:

Other neat things about MGS3 in particular: If you tranq an animal, you don't pick up food rations, you pick up that animal itself. You can use this to keep animals for longer, then kill them later so that you have food which doesn't spoil. You can also drop these animals, and they'll just drop the animal itself into the game world, alive and kicking. You can also throw the animals, so you can tranquilize a venomous snake and then throw it at guards :haw:

You can also do the same with certain toads which, when thrown during the Vulgin fight, act as lightning rods for his electricity blasts. They won't hit you, they'll hit the frog! This kills the frog however, so it only works once--but when the frog dies, it leaves behind food rations.

The silliest thing is the fork, however. You get it from the prison cell, sure, but from then on out you have a melee replacement that is a fork. It doesn't do much damage, but if you stab an animal with it, you kill and eat it immediately. No menu shuffling, no rations. You just straight eat the thing.

Just imagine Snake in the middle of a river, chowing down on an entire alligator in one sitting, using only a fork.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Can you explain the significance of those things?

Raiden was a child soldier pushed through a series of training exercises meant to recreate the events of MGS1, to recreate the Perfect Soldier (ie: solid snake)

The colonel is actually an AI, not the real colonel, which goes insane later. That discrepancy in the script is its first fuckup

As for the maps, the mission Raiden is on is actually just an extension of the perfect soldier training--so the whole point is Raiden basically being test-driven by the patriots, to see if he can step up in a real world scenario, no just VR

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

There's something hilariously amazing about an orc with the name The Mountain constantly coming back to kill you after you thought he was dead.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chinaman7000 posted:

Who taught the first wizard how to use magic?

A Mage. Duh.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Terraria's water physics look like rear end.

But there's a new update coming out soon, and the updated liquid physics now look pretty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCETFMsrNxE

I don't get it. It looks the exact same? What's changed?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I played Rebirth last night and died to Mom a good dozen times. I haven't died to that boss for so long, I forgot what it was like.

There's also a new mode that lets you try for a Mom Kill using "tokens" that you receive for completing a run. The character you play with has randomized items (two, non-space bar items) and randomized stats, which last time ended up with orbiting tears at rapid fire and the ring worm pickup making the already orbiting tears have mini orbits.

I was a bullet hell boss. Literally.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The old sprites were actually vector drawings in Flash that allowed them to be upscaled infinitely, as there were items that made Isaac bigger or smaller in size.

The entire game was made in flash, and bloated to a degree that it was impossible to add more content without entirely breaking most of the game. So even if somebody gets a similar art style, goo luck hand replacing every sprite including size differences with those singular flash items :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

HOW COULD YOU posted:

To confirm, mom still has that place where you can stand while she flails ineffectively trying to hit you.

That's my favourite little thing.

That spot must be tighter, because she stomps me when I stand there now. Mom fights just seem harder overall.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chard posted:

I'm watching a Deadly Premonition LP, my first exposure to the game. This has been stuck in my head for days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

I've had nights that felt a lot like this

If you liked DP, SuperGreatFriend is currently LPing D4, Swery's Xbone exclusive game. It's just as manic and opaque as DP, although SGF is only a couple videos in.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chard posted:

Hmm, haven't heard of this game. Let's do a quick image search to see what it looks li-

:hellyeah:

Here's a link to the SGF thread if anyone else wants it

To clarify, this is the main character reading a fortune from a fortune cookie, as he just has a pile of a couple dozen sitting on his coffee table. He likes to smash them with his fist, grab the fortune, brush the leftover pieces off the table, then make that face at them.

You can do this 3 times per episode

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Perhaps I should have clarified when I said you can't read context: What I actually meant was, your counterargument is bullshit. Not only did I literally not say that devs should "never do it because it's always awful" that's the exact opposite of the sentiment I was implying. If you actually bothered to think about what the words in my post meant instead of making some bullshit kneejerk response maybe you would've come to the realization that I appreciate gay people and so on being included in video games when it's not handled in a lovely overhanded and unrealistic way. Which it is the majority of the time. Your example of The Last of Us is an example of how it can be done well but more often than not it definitely is not that way, which sucks and undermines the message on the whole.

edit: removed the "just to fill out a checkbox" part because I am willing to contend that as an overreaction on my part. It definitely feels that way though sometimes.

That is true. I'm just wondering when it's going to stop being the former and start being the latter.

This is not a little thing in games so I'll shut up about it now but it is kind of a sore spot which is why I tried to explain myself in the first place.

I'm actually right up the same alley on LGBQTetc representation in games, because it's extremely common for games to do exactly as you say--they're including non-hetero characters in ways that seem less like intentional representation of non-hetero characters, and more as the means of "HEY THIS CHARACTER IS GAY" without putting thought into how those characters should be included. Bioware's first issue with this was the Asari, which is supposed to be "pansexual species of alien that can mate with any species" but ends up more "nerd-wet-dream always-hot blue alien babes" because they're sexualized to hell and back.

Good representation should put the focus on building good characters, which Bioware scarcely does. They get pointed to as one of the most pro-LGBQT game companies, but they suck at writing characters complex enough to include sexuality without it being the defining aspect of their personality. This is mostly based around the romance system, though. It's impossible to 1.) include characters who are non-hetero, 2.) make them romanceable as long as you're their preferred gender, and 3.) give you bonuses for doing so. At that point they're not people, they're just optional sidequests you arbitrarily lock yourself out of depending on which gender you choose in the beginning of the game.

As far as I'm concerned, the game which best handles sexuality is The Sims. You can romance male or female Sims, the main obstacle being their personality traits and how they enjoy interacting with your Sim. Sims can drift part based on incompatibility, and WooHooing is just a silly little thing you can do in a relationship that adds a positive moodlet (and opens up the opportunity to have kids).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

kizudarake posted:

Counterpoint: every Final Fantasy game after VI/III is pretty bad, as a whole, although some of them have good points that slightly redeem them. Sorry, bro.

VI had an amazing main boss and passable JRPG characters, it was poo poo in gameplay mechanics and doesn't deserve the love it gets. FFV was more interesting to play despite not having Chaotic Evil, The Antagonist

Also FFX was leagues beyond the snes games and better than FFXII in story and game play

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Dark Souls you leave big glowing messages, which is important in the Crystal Caves, as they are left in "mid air" to hint of the existence of huge invisible bridges you need to Last Crusade-style walk-of-faith on

Using a cheating program that has a hover feature, you can leave messages actually in mid-air. So while in the caves, I see a floating message, run to it like normal, and fall to my death. It clicked what had happened, so I went back to check it with the levitate cheat on, in case it said something funny. "Try Jumping", a message notorious for being placed at the edge of bottomless pits as a joking suggestion to jump off, if you really are that dumb.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

Requesting more video game ditties, please and thank you. Something about how simple and lo-fi this song is speaks to me. I really need to play DP.

Here's another song (from an anime, sorry) that similarly speaks to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe7kMlgCqLw

Yes, that was Freddie Mercury.

Edit: I felt bad not adding something video game related. Have a cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_a6GLSDvU

DP is not a fun game. It is an interesting and captivating game, but not fun. Watch SuperGreatFriend play it in the LPArchive because it will cut the tedium, show off every weird little detail, and his commentary actually matches the deadpan absurdity of the game perfectly.

Like, even if you think LPs are dumb and spergy, watch that one instead of playing DP.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The true final boss of Bloodborne.

After a lackluster fight which "ends" the Hunt, you are back in the Hunter's Dream and told to talk to Gherman, the blind wheelchair-bound dude who brought you to the Hunt to begin with. He'll ask to take your life so you wake up in the real world, in the morning. If you refuse, he stands up and pulls out a sweet as gently caress scythe and becomes the REAL final boss.

Except he isn't. Once he died, an elder god morphs in from the huge moon in the sky, the moon which was called close to Earth in order to facilitate contact with great ones. It will just force you to take Gherman's place, as Gherman is actually responsible for perpetuating the Hunt (and Hunter's Dream). However, if you've eaten three umbilical cords which were left over from Old One surrogate baby rituals, you aren't driven insane by the Moon Presence and IT becomes the final boss. When you kill it, the Hunt is finally over... And you turn into a baby great one, having absorbed the soul of a great one with the insight and wisdom to equal one, thanks to the umbilical cords. Instead of ending the hunt, you transcend it--which is the little thing in this wall of text.

The first note of the entire game tells you to seek the Paleblood. You learn that Paleblood refers to the moon, so you are actually looking for a way to interact with the moon... But not to end the hunt. The note very explicitly says "Seek the Paleblood in order to transcend the Hunt."

From step 1 the game tells you how to get the True End and what it entails, it just does so in a way that makes you think you're looking for white monster blood in victorian-style cathedrals, not fighting moon-gods in a literal nightmare being cooked up by a centuries-dead man known as the First Hunter in order to become an alien deity.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Did all the episodes for that actually come out?

No. It is being done bit by bit to gauge interest, essentially meaning that unless people but ep 1 and 2 now then Swery will have to wrap up a batshit insane plot in like one episode length.

D4 is actually really good and probably the game that Swery wanted to make while doing DP, because it is all on-rails detectiving and zero lovely combat. It's a very fun game that gets even better on NG+ playthroughs.

SGF is also LPing D4, but unlike DP, i strongly recommend you buy it if it interests you. It is completely insane like DP but a thousand times more accessible for the average player

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

They do catalog-wide sales every season, with the summer sale being the one with the most fanfare. Spring, summer, autumn/holiday, and christmas sales. The next one for-sure will be summer.

Steam also does publisher sales pretty frequently, so always keep an eye on that. They'll have a big splash screen with a bunch of games on sale, and prices generally don't fall more so you can buy whatever. For the season-sales, p much never buy a game unless it is a daily deal, a community-voted flash deal, or it's the final day of the sale.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

The game is wall to wall puns. I love it.

The shopkeepers are all puns too!

The puns are just perfect

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TontoCorazon posted:

I love in GTAV I can do poo poo like this:

Your favorite thing about playing a video game is that you can sit on Ikea furniture and get high?

How much did you like Inception on a scale of 1 to 1

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

was Origins really buggy on release on some systems or something? people seem mad about it & consider it way worse than Asylum and City, but it played the exact same when i got around to it. or maybe it is some comic nerd thing? figured Knight is the exact same + more enemy types since that's all that's changed in the other installments.

Game-breaking bugs, some of which I dont believe were ever patched. Also, minor ones like the grapnel boost causing your FPS to tank way worse than the other games, the lack of riddles as part of the riddler sidequest, the Joker once again being the star of the story which pissed off people who went in blind, and combat had a persistent issue with counters where, sometimes, you just got hit despite countering a move.

The worst being collectibles, like Anarky Tags and the diaries hidden in plaques, being worth jack poo poo. Also, the game advertised 8 assassins to fight, but you take out one in the intro and another in a joke fight. After that, only two other Batman villains actually got a neat bossfight and fleshed out setpiece, but both fights were blatantly reimaginings of Asylum and City boss fights.

Also, upgraded like Critical Strikes and Disarm and Destroy, series stapled and hugely important for expediting boring fights, were locked behind sidequests you might not do for a long, long time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

New favorite little thing in games, for a game that doesn't even have gameplay footage yet, let alone a release date:

Nier 2. The original Nier, being a game loved by a lot of vocal internet video game posters, was largely believed to not get a sequel for a while. The combat sucked, the side quests were a bore, but the story itself was good enough that most people consider it probably the singular video game with good writing.

So at Square Enix's E3 panel, they put together a reveal trailer that they prefaced with "This is more an announcement, we just want you all to know that we're working on this, here's some concept art to go with it" and let it run.

The trailer flashes up the name of a specific person from Square Enix, but he's worked on a very broad number of games (including Nier). Then it flashes up the name of the director of Metal Gear Rising: Reveangance. Then the name of the composer from Drakengard and Nier. Then the director of Drakengard and Nier. Then, finally, "NIER" slowly comes on screen from a jumble of letters.

It was all purposefully put together to look like yet another IP that Squenix was just showing early, with little information, that nobody will care about until it gets fleshed out later on this year. Instead, all the Nier fans in the audience got a gut punch of excitement to make them fanboy/girl the gently caress out. A new Nier game, with the same director that made the first one so good, with the same composer that made the game's awesome music, and the weakest part (the gameplay) is being picked up by the person who made Metal Gear Goddamn Rising.

The gradual building of pure joy you can hear in most people's voices when they realize that yes, your nerd game is getting a sequel, and it is going to loving rule is just wonderful. :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wait, this is a real life thing? I'm confused.

It's a game, with two opposing forces that visit real-life locations and tap buttons on their phones. Tapping these buttons benefits their team. Some cities treat this as a friendly rivalry of sorts and the people playing the game will simply compete against each other, then go out for beers. Other people will shout harrassment at the other team if they realize they are nearby and tapping buttons on their phones.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chip's was good, but this one was my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYRzTvrrP8

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is a thread about little details you appreciate in video games, man. Don't throw boulders in glass houses

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of, I'm playing Pillars of Eternity, and oh my god that game gets balancing 'old school' and 'modern' exactly right.

I have trouble going back to like, any western RPG before a certain point no matter how good they are, because RPGs show their age so painfully even in updates and re-releases. Baldur's Gate feels old beyond its years, largely because it's got a lot of mechanics that were relics of D&D 2e. Morrowind has a similar issue, where it's hard for me to pick up not because it's complex, or slow, or because of Cliff Racers, but because it has a lot of mechanics that just didn't have a place in the kind of game they were making.

Pillars of Eternity takes the direction I've always wanted to see. They basically built the Infinity Engine from the ground up, and then removed the outdated bullshit. It doesn't feel like a 'throwback game', it doesn't feel dumbed down, it just feels like they went back to those early games and learned the right lessons about how to make one. I didn't grow up with Infinity Engine games, but it doesn't feel like that's a prerequisite.

I just wish we got an equivalent from games I was closer to. My dream game now is basically just someone modernizing Morrowind in the same way.

They're literally remaking Morrowind in the Skyrim engine, if mods are your thing :haw:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

The four games together tell a pretty neat story. The animatronics aren't actually evil, and the murdered children haunting them eventually do get revenge on their murderer. Depending on the player, they eventually find rest.

The fourth game seemed superfluous at first but ends up being a side story to the first three. You're the kid who got his head bit into by an animatronic, an event that triggered the restaurant's steady decline and leads to the first game. Except it was your douche of a big brother who shoved your head in the things mouth; none of the robots ever intentionally hurt a child.

Which brings to the neat thing about 4: the kid already suffered the loss of his frontal lone due to the bite, and the game takes place inside his coma. He loved the characters and hated the animatronic versions of them. His injury is why the coma-versions have such prominent teeth, and the random appearance of IVs and pills by his bed suggest he is at least still aware of the outside world.

His big brother is very sorry what happened, too. :smith:

The series is not the pinnacle of video games, but it's not phoning it in, either.

They do, however, hate adults ever since the kid's souls or w/e get wrapped up in the AI of the suits. FNF2 takes place during the week before the bite of 1987, with the actual bite happening that weekend on Day 7. They still attack and kill you during that time, while the store is still open. So the kids are safe, it's just the adults who aren't.

Which begs the question, why even have a security guard when the animatronics themselves are, at that point, a security system?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Described below are mild spoilers for the game Undertale, consisting of the first hour or so of gameplay.

The first NPC you encounter, Flowey, is a malevolent creature that wants to hurt you. I let Flowey hurt me without realizing it meant to. Toriel, a bunny surrogate mom that wants to be your teacher, shooed him away.

Later on, after being helped by an NPC, I pushed the story forward and had to fight Toriel for the first time, I accidentally killed her because I didn't know you could just "Spare" multiple times to end the fight.

I reloaded my save, redid the boss fight, and Spared Toriel. Afterward, Flowey interrupted my progression. Because I had quit the game, reloaded, and refought Toriel to spare her, Flowey called me out on savescumming to spare Toriel.

I'm 2 hours in and this game is already chock full of awesome little details like that. Not even counting The skeleton dating simulator, which I played through to its (as far as I am now, just barely beyond the first Undyne spear-dodging minigame) conclusion.I got friendzoned by a skeleton :saddowns:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Naga is definitely wrong, play Peace Walker so you can fight monsters and learn how to meow from a cat

E: also go on a date with Miller

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

I mean if your idea of fun is repeatedly fighting the same bosses over and over again with no challenge, hoping that the RNG gives you exactly what you need in the shortest time possible then you might as well just go play roulette or something.

Or you can team up with a few buds, drink beers, and fight a giant ai-controlled monster with a human slingshot or rail gun. The fights themselves are fun, especially in co-op, which is the focus of the initial post game before the TRUE FINAL BOSS.

Did you even play this part of the game or are you just poo pooing it based on the perceived slight of a video game having replayable sections you run through a handful of times to unlock cool stuff

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

That's not really the same. System Shock switched between actual music tracks, rather than just adding/removing instruments.
Conker's Bad Fur Day had this in that walking toward different objects required fading between different tracks entirely with similar arrangements, but completely different instrumentation. I think it's the first or second episode of the Rare Plays CBC video series where the composer goes into detail on the technical limitations of how many tracks they can work with between sound effects and music tracks, and how he broke/bent a few rules to get entire track fades to work seamlessly based on context

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tengames posted:

A goat (her sprite has small horns on it.)

Thanks for the ten page old call out, glad I now the true animal species of Toriel.

One other fun thing about Undertale is Mettaton, a recurring character that thrusts you into TV shows and makes you participate in ways that attempt to kill you. On a cooking show he does, you gather ingredients to bake, with the shocking last ingredient being: YOUR SOUL. He whips a chainsaw out when he says this. :allears:

After he says that, your buddy calls in and requests the show make a vegan version of the dish, without a human soul. You get redirected to a can of Human Soul Substitute on a counter which rockets upward at insane speeds when you approach it. Your friend lets you know that your cell phone has a JETPACK FEATURE, and you fly up to catch the can before your fuel runs out. After you complete all this, "thwarting" the cooking show plans, Mettaton drops the truth bomb: paraphrased: "Fine, you win. Oh, and you wasted your time getting that stupid can. Haven't you ever seen one of these shows? We've already finished making the dish beforehand. Idiot."

That happens in the span of about five minutes :allears: zero to goddamn sixty in this game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So. Dangan Ronpa 2.

There's two things that are fuckin hilarious in this game that actually caused me to laugh out loud (so far, on Chapter 5 right now.)

1. It was an extremely common meme to call this game some stupid variations of words mashed together, like Benedict Cumberbatch's constant namechanges. In DR2, there's a museum you can go to that's mostly filled with random odds and ends written by the main villain of the series, Monokuma. Monokuma has a "Meaty Diary" in the museum which describes some bogus events with strange characters like his wife that is a Salmon and whatnot. One of them describes how he stole an invitation to be in a video game made by a video game company called Game Company S, which he was really hoping to be the four-sided RPG company he loves. Square :rolleyes:. Instead it turns out to be these weirdos called Spice Chunsoft... Space Chinsoft??? Something like that. To be in a game called Dangit Rupaul. Doggone RonPaul? He forgot that name too.

2. There's a character named Nekomaru who is a Team Manager, he's basically the ultimate coach and doles out tons of health advice and training tips so that you can be the best at whatever your hobbies/sports/etc. are. He puts a heavy emphasis on eating a good meal, and taking a good, powerful poo poo (literally his words) to keep you at the top of your game. Spoilers for DR2's Story and Nekomaru's character from here on out, don't read if you want to play this game yourself: Nekomaru gets offed by protecting another character named Akane that he trains with from being killed by Monokuma for breaking a school rule. Later on, some other people get killed. After the murder/trial that occurs after his death (not for him, the other two characters), Monokuma reveals that he has brought back Nekomaru... as a robot. Robot Nekomaru takes back his place as (Robot) Team Coach, except he is now sad because he can no longer take his good, powerful shits. In Chapter 4, he gets killed again, this time as the victim of another student, so he stays dead-dead from now on. However, the mechanic/tech-savvy character of the group, Kazuichi, scavenges some parts from Nekomaru and brings to the game... MINI-MARU! A tiny little alarm clock made of pieces from Mechamaru that has some soundbites built in from Mechamaru's robot brain or something. He'll occasionally pipe in with the stuff he always said before, which is pretty much all he said before. Within like 10 minutes of getting Minimaru, there's a scene where everybody is eating together, and Minimaru pipes up: "GOOD MEAL, GOOD poo poo".

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Back with some more hot fresh Dangan Ronpa 2 details that I love. Everything about this is going to be spoilery as gently caress for Chapters 4 and 5 of the game, if you haven't hit those yet and want to avoid spoilers.

So Nagito Komaeda is a character with the "talent" of Ultimate Luck. He's lucky as poo poo and coasts on that luck helping him to accomplish his goals. In Chapter 4, he encounters a room-escape game that lets him play Russian Roulette for fabulous prizes. If he succeeds at a "higher difficulty" (more bullets in the gun) then he gets more prizes, which could be weapons for killing other students, or information on the students/island/game/etc. since all 16 students trapped on a kill-somebody-and-get-away-with-it-or-never-leave island are amnesiacs (of the last few years of their life, at least.)

Nagito does this with five bullets and, thanks to his luck, succeeds. He coasts on by, gets some relevant information and takes a few weapons, Chapter 4 finishes and things move on.

In Chapter 5, Nagito kills himself. He is an avid supporter of Hope, and wants Hope to spring eternal, meaning he wants to also eradicate everybody hoping to bring Despair, which is just the game's fancy way of saying "Nagito wants to keep hope alive in the face of an organization called Despair that is intent on killing everybody talented" but regardless, Nagito is all about that Hope. With the information he gets after winning the 1/6th chance Russian Roulette, he decides to kill everyone. Apparently everybody else is in some way involved with the "Despair" organization, but they can't remember it due to the gap in their memories. Nagito does this in the most brilliantly showy way possible: He makes it look like he killed himself by purposefully mutilating his own body with stab wounds and slashes, tosses a spear-on-a-chain over a rafter in a warehouse, ties up all four of his limbs, then lets go of the chain so the spear stabs himself through the heart. He also has a rube-goldberg lineup of cardboard cutouts which start a fire by where his body is. All the other characters find his body, accidentally start the fire, then put the fire out with fire grenades. Problem being: One of those grenades had poison in it that Nagito poured in. To kill himself, but make one of the other characters technically the murderer.

In Dangan Ronpa, after somebody is killed and an investigation is held, a trial happens. During that trial, you have to figure out who is the murderer. If everybody picks wrong, everybody dies except the murderer. Nagito killed himself in the most elaborate way possible to make it look like he tried to hide his suicide as a murder, which would make everybody vote that Nagito killed himself, which would be wrong. Then everyone would die, and Despair would be successfully exterminated. In reality, Nagito disguised his murder with a suicide disguised as a murder. That's already batshit enough. The best part though, is if the characters sussed out Nagito's plan, Nagito had a failsafe: The killer was the person who threw a Fire Grenade filled with poison, but nobody would be able to tell if they threw it or not. The characters decide to vote based on the fact that Nagito has, up til this point, been vehemently trying to discover the identity of the traitor amongst them, going so far as to create a bomb scare to make them come forward. The traitor reveals themself as this point, and all 5 characters vote for the 6th person, the traitor, assuming Nagito is using this elaborate murder as a means to abuse his Luck ability, hoping that the traitor would be the lucky person to unknowingly throw the poison grenade. They guess correctly, and the traitor gets executed.

Except, as said, Nagito was actually trying to kill them all, not oust the traitor. So Nagito banked on the rest of the 6 kids only having a 1/6 chance of living. Nagito played that drat Russian Roulette game again, with everybody else having a 5/6 probability of dying, and he lost. Everybody except the traitor, who is actually on Nagito's side at this point, lives. So not only did the kids luck out on picking the correct killer, Nagito got double-screwed by having who was probably the one person of the six he wanted to save be the murderer. 1/6 and 1/6 chance for both those things happening.

So the Ultimate Luck-Haver dies and has all his plans foiled by pure, dumb loving luck. :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That is a lovely dog

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Fallout 4 PYF but also spoiler:
You can shoot your son directly in the face the moment you meet him without repercussions aside from pissing off the faction he's allied with.

I went from on the fence about getting FO4 without mods to 100% in, based on this alone. That's actually a surprising amount of character wiggle room for the quest resolution

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

E: pocketposted

bawk has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Nov 28, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So. Neko Atsume is a phone game based around being a crazy cat lady. You buy furniture and food to attract cats to your yard, and the cats give you a little bit of the game's currency in thanks for letting them play with the toys, sleep in catbedd, etc.

It's also got some of the most realistic cat behavior I've ever seen. Of course the cats just chill out with their assholes pointed at you. That's what real cats do.

And then there's this Fucker. He's named Bolt, but I have renamed him Fucker. I had just spent about 5 bucks on this game's premium currency to expand my yard, change its style, and get some nice new things for it.

So naturally, Fucker sits in the lone loving cardboard box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

How is that any worse than taking your lovable skull pal Morte, who is all about the laydays and smarmy one liners, and shoving him into the flaming tower of skulls which yearn for him to be thrust back into their orgy of pain, disfigurement, and suffering. Which, by the way, you have already done once before in a previous lifetime, and it is the single greatest Hell that Morte fears.

Sorry Morte, got places to be! :buddy: I'll be back later!*

*No you won't