Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Storyline spoilers for Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies here

This is somewhat long winded for very little payoff, but I found it rather neat.

I've been playing the game on and off for 6 months (only really play on my commute)

The basic gist of the storyline is very prototypical early final fantasy era, one of the main protagonists is called Tiz, only survivor of a great chasm that swallowed up his village. In order to get rid of the great chasm and restore the village, you need to unleash the four crystals to restore the land.

The next protagonist is called Agnes, who is accompanied by a Cryst-fairy called Airy. Agnes is a vestal of the Wind crystal, one of the few people who can attune themself to a crystal and unleash its power. Airy is a little flying fairy who's been around for thousands of years and who knows tons of lore.

The third protagonist is Ringabel, an amnesiac with a mysterious journal that seems to detail future events.

The final protagonist is Edea Lee, daughter of the leader of Eternia, the kingdom that is invading the world to wipe out the vestals.

The first 5 chapters of the game cover the party coming together, unleashing the four crystals and flying their airship into a beam of light. They then awaken back at the inn at the start of the game thoroughly confused, because everything seems to be back the way it was just after the chasm opened up, albeit with minor differences.

Airy is incredibly confused because she's following the scriptures but nothing happened. They come to an agreement to repeat themselves and unleash the crystals again - which happens very quickly because this time you've got an airship, and don't need to hang about being bothered by such things as "geography" and "the ocean".

It happens again - but you get a little more information from key bosses that it's never been the vestals they've been after.

The next cycle around, you hear from two of the leaders of the kingdom of Eternia right before you defeat them that the two of them used to be mortal enemies until a dying angel crashed into their battlefield who foretold the future to them before she died. The Angel was Agnes.

At this point, Ringabel has slowly started to regain his memories and is starting to become very suspicious of Airy, who is becoming increasingly hostile towards Ringabel.

To get to the point, from Chapter 6 on, when suspicion starts to fall upon Airy that she's leading you astray, there's a chance for the games subtitle to change at the title screen from "Where the Fairy Flies" to animating in red and changing to "airy lies".

It was pretty neat I thought, I haven't formally confronted her or anything, but I thought it was a neat way of foreshadowing something to come. :3:

Not that I've confronted her yet - there was a flashback screen from Ringabel which kinda indicated she's a major boss and super powerful, but we'll see!

Apparently this is visible through spoiler tags (not to me?) so here's a link:

http://i.imgur.com/FMf38Nel.jpg

tithin has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My PC is about three years old and it's as smooth as god drat silk. I've had games that are older struggle on it for some reason, but this is both gorgeous looking and full speed with gently caress all slowdown.

As someone who was skeptical about the game after seeing some videos prior to release, and who was lucky enough to be gifted a copy by a friend, I can confirm that the nemesis system is loving fantastic.

The first major fight I got into I had four captains show up and leave (b/c I kicked their rear end) midway through the fight because I was dumb enough to stand out in the open at the blackgates.

The last one who left managed to grab a hold of me and break me over his knee before he left, which wasn't enough to kill me but was enough to reduce me to like, 5 hp surrounded by enemies.

One of them finally gets a lucky hit on me and takes me down, which caused him to rank up and then immediately go fight another warchief and win, increasing his power level further.

I then took that oppportunity to hunt down intel on the guy from other orcs which revealed that unlike most, he was terrified of / weak to stealth kills, and hid in a loving fortress.

I hunted him down like an animal, and in front of him giving a speech to his men, decapitated him from stealth which caused the other orcs to run in terror.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Len posted:

The game sounds like fun but I don't want to gamble that it's more than just the current goon flavor of the month. I'm definitely keeping an eye on it though.

I've literally not even looked at the goon thread just to avoid the hype train. The one video I watched actually made me not want to play it - only reason I did was that I got it as a gift. It is a good game.