Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

grittyreboot posted:

I love that Jensen hates at least one of his coworkers. In fact, the writers did a good job of making the Sarif employees act like they've known each other for a while.

I love that Sairf Industries has a smokers section outside by the helipad. And how the people who smoke are ALWAYS there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

To add to the Deus Ex: HR chat, I loved the tech guy's office. Posters of motorbikes, CRT monitors stacked to make a bridge - Obviously small touches, but it's the small touches that really set up someone as a developed character.

I also loved how the tech guy had the largest single person office & Jensen had a tiny lovely office.
tech guy controlled the flooring database.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I like that in Crusader No Remorse, you can destroy the Vetrons & Solartrons (the toughest enemy units in the game) with a simple levitating platform if you time it right.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Olaf The Stout posted:

So they used deepmind technology to teach a program how to play starcraft 2. From what I've gathered, they fed in 10's of thousands of replays of games from battlenet across all skill bandwidths and made the ai simulate them, then created dozens of slightly different versions of this starcraft-playing system. Then they simulated 200 years of matches, and took the reigning champion from that period and made them play starcraft 2 pros. This is a pretty simple explanation for a very complicated things.

It can only play protoss vs protoss on one specific map. It uses a virtual keyboard and mouse and therefore must enter its commands the same way a human player would, especially in regards to the minimap, and is hardcapped to 150 actions per minute. In this video it sweeps 2 separate professional starcraft 2 players, 0-5 each.

You guys it's so alien. It constructs its bases in ways that look like a termite colony. The rather standard early game meta for starcraft is 16 probes to a mining base, and about 50 for your 200 supply lategame. It makes 24 probes per base and latgame has 80, something no other pro has ever gone close to doing.

Lategame pros will kill off a bunch of excess workers and make strong units during it's final push. This AI instead kills off any injured member of its own offensive army, and then kills off any surviving low-tech units, something no other pro does.

Its control of its units is so exquisite that it takes units that are normally countered by others, and flips the counter back, hard, just through superior precision positioning during combat.

This exhibition match will literally change the current starcraft 2 meta. The later matches the pros were already trying to copy the AI just during this little exhibition to try and keep up. In the majority of the matches the human players never even make it halfway across the map.

Mierenneuker posted:

The AI also really, really hates rocks. Which means it’ll have a bright future in our offworld deep mining colonies!

Something similar happened when a 1970s era AI system called Eurisko was entered into the "Traveller Trillion Credit Squadron" tournament back in 1981 + 1982.
Spoiler alert: Eurisko won both times, with tactics no-one had ever used, and was banned from ever entering the tournament again.

the brief summary:
https://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?14095-Strategy-amp-Unusual-tactics-quot-TRAVELLER-quot-Trillion-Credit-Squadron

the extended version(very long article so just search for the term "Eurisko" in it )
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/05/11/how-david-beats-goliath

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Right, pioneering EVE Online goonswarm tactics, devised 20 years before EVE online even existed.
The Starcraft 2 deepmind AI killing off it's own wounded units is what reminded of the Eurisko AI honestly. Same thing happened in the 1982 tournament
(the new yorker article goes into the details).

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Midway through Batman: Arkham Knight, Batman locks Tim Drake up in a secure holding cell with no way to communicate out.
Then the 100% completion secret ending of Batman: Arkham Knight has Bruce Wayne + his manor blowing up.
Was Tim Drake mentioned as or shown as being released from that no-comms secure holding cell before the 100% completion game ending explosion?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Robert J. Omb posted:

Spent many a play session in Just Cause 2/3 grappling speeding police vehicles to the road. Especially on bridges.

70% of my playtime on the starting planet in the Precursors was looting tires from other peoples cars to replace the tires on my (looted) car that broke going off-roading over rocks and cactus/tires that popped running down Deathclaws/tires got shoot out by bandits while I was in the process of running them down.

By the time I left the starting planet in the Precursors I had looted cars stashed everywhere like a used car dealership. 4 parked in front of the spaceport, 2 outside the city gate that always gets ambushed, 1 by the oasis, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hel posted:

The Boiling Point trilogy had many problems, but it really did hit some things that you pretty much never see in other games.

I adore the Boiling Point series.
Cars ran out of gas. Everquest 2 style faction standings. People could be bribed. Vehicle tires popped. You had to dose yourself in insect repellent. Extremely morally dubious side-missions were everywhere in the Boiling Point trilogy.