Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I blew through all 5 Blackwell games this weekend. There were many little moments I appreciated considerably. Something I thought was really funny was that the final part of the second to last game is basically peak Reddit: A creep in a fedora stuck in a platonic relationship drops negs on the woman to get her to break up with her new boyfriend and save the day. :allears:

Non Spoiler: The art quality increases exponentially over the course of the games, until the point in the final game where I genuinely am curious how they pulled it off. The screens in a particular shop in Epiphany are particularly impressively animated. Not bad for a game that runs on a tiny, tiny resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Alouicious posted:

you mean the mission with the really hamfisted "THE GETH ARE SWEET INNOCENT BABY CHILDREN, THE QUARIANS ARE DUMB RACIST GENOCIDAL IDIOTS" stuff?

do basically everything right in Mass Effect 2, and destroy the Geth Heretics in Legion's loyalty mission instead of rewriting them
The main things:

Tali not Exiled/dead
Ensure Koris Survives by doing his mission first when available, choose saving him over his random crew.
Make final Renegade/Paragon checks.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Priority:_Rannoch

Mass Effect 3's endings were legendarily bad, but at least the Quarian/Geth and Krogan arcs got wrapped up well.

E: Beaten badly
E2 VVVVVVVVV : The Geth Did Nothing Wrong :colbert:

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Jul 14, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Doom Goon posted:

It's actually not supposed to if they self-destruct, but good luck finding out what screwed over that achievement with practically no feedback. That area is actually pretty fun to do if you have it down pat (there's really not even that many enemies there, though I do hate the mech), as you can just stock up on candy/tasers and use cloaking. Also, there's not much of that time-limit stuff in the game so it's a different feeling of accomplishment, and that's also the worst of it compared to how they use it elsewhere (like with enemies or in The Missing Link).
I can confirm this, 99% sure the robot took out a dude but I didn't lose my no-kill run.

It's still less annoying than dishonored's no-kill rules. :colbert:

Also Saving Malik is easier when you realize you can just EMP the robot, then chuck a bunch of gas grenades to knock out big clumps of them, and then tranq the rest.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

So Wasteland 2 has a skill that makes animals follow you. Right now I've got an intelligent rat (gives 'The secret of NIMH' +1 int), a goat ('Devil Eyes' +1 awareness) and a dog ('Puppies!' +1 charisma) following one of my team. It's like some kind of weird rear end post-apocalyptic incredible journey thing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I picked up Shadow of Mordor on deal last week. I don't know how exactly they did this, but I've never had the stupid problem where whatever video is running on my second screen freezes. Almost every other game seems to require some of alt tab dancing to get the video to keep playing and not freeze frame with just the sound continuing.

Oh also the whole rivalry system is pretty great.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Taeke posted:

There's also that bit in The Stanley Parable which takes literally 4 hours.

It's not enough to just mention it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7GAtSIy4-w

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I picked up the Diablo 3 expansion on a lark because it was on sale for 50% off, and continued on in my main game. I think I tripped over the hidden level. :stare:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

maou shoujo posted:

Isn't that level full of pastel pony enemies?

Yes, with amazing, amazing death animations. :stare:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

a better question is how can a crippled autist can even become a merchant a run a shop
Ever heard of a game called Eve Online? Same principal.

So I'm playing through Metro 2033 Redux, having already beaten the original several times previously. I was expecting a nice graphical overhaul, which I got, but I was not expecting the actual level design to be significantly improved in several key areas. It was most noticeable in the FRONTLINE chapter. There were added paths around in the section where you have to avoid the turret vehicle, as well as more interesting stealth challenges in the latter part of the chapter.

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Dec 16, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

So plague Inc just patched in a very special holiday scenario.

Adorable :3:

E: Oh man, the scenerio itself is even better.

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Dec 19, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Flectarn posted:

hotline miami's story is about how videogame stories are poo poo and you are dumb if you care about them, so actually its good hth
I agree with the second character in Hotline Miami's point really, :colbert: Gameplay without context or meaning can get boring fast.

Not every game has to be the stanley parable or spec ops the line, but still.

I really liked the story elements in Metroid: Fusion for example, I can see why Alien: Isolation copied so much of it. :v:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

So in all of the Endless games right now, there is a limited time event. Doing this event will permanently unlock some content, not sure what exactly. The story of the event involves all 3 games, culminating in getting an achievement in each.

The description for each achievement is each part of a longer sentence.

Dungeon of the Endless:"On this day, Endless technology lights up and strange things appear..."
Endless Legend": ...in the ruins all across Auriga, and even throughout..."
Endless Space": …the galaxy as the Archivist, Emlek Tarosh, fulfills its duty."

Also what you're required to do in each game also makes the story flow. In Dungeon, you have to escape as the hero, Emlek Tarosh. In Endless Legend, you find him and fight him, and he becomes one of your heroes. In Endless Space, he is hireable, and you have to both hire him and beat the game on the hardest difficulty setting.

An interesting game-spanning mini story arc, I like it.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Chard posted:

Oof, I must have missed the start of that, how long is it running?

The Endless games are all super cool.
According to gamesutra: It runs until this coming Sunday

I only found out about it because a steam friend told me, they didn't quite promote it.

They do have a nice website up for it though:
http://endless-day.com/

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Chard posted:

Dang that is not a whole lot of time to complete two longish games and one shortish one, although on the Agenda page on that website it kinda sounds like you only need to play them at all during the period to unlock the content (which I think is just the Emlek Tarosh character/questlines):
Yeah and you can cheese all of them in various ways. Dungeon of the Endless took me the longest because you can't cheese it as hard as the others, but if you can reliably complete it on the easiest difficulty, it's not so bad. Especially if you beeline straight for the exit every time you find it (this can be risky, had some real close calls).

Endless Legend's can be completed in 30 turns or so, just need to investigate a bunch of ruins and then fight a dude who can be killed by your starting units. Just use a big map with only 1 dumb ai opponent so it doesn't get in the way.

Endless Space's is a bit more difficult in that you have to beat the game on the highest difficulty, but this can still be done quickly by making a custom faction with literally every negative trait, and zero redeeming qualities, and making it the only AI to beat on a tiny map.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not sure if there's more to it in Endless Space aside from being able to hire the guy (at a glance he doesn't seem to have anything special except maybe higher than normal Wits?), a special empire-wide buff effect tied to the event, and the associated achievement.
Yeah didn't seem too special there, but you have to win the game on endless for the 'chieve.

quote:

For Dungeon of the Endless, he's currently available by default and you just need to run him through three floors to permanently unlock him, which is pretty straightforward.
To unlock him, but I think there's going to be more content down the line for those that beat the game with him and get the achievement.

quote:

I don't own Endless Legend, but from what I've gleaned you just need to complete his associated quest and/or beat him + recruit him to have him unlocked.
Yeah pretty much exactly here.

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Jan 23, 2015

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I bought and finished The Talos Principle as a result of the steam sale. There were some genuinely emotional text passages and audio logs.

One of the plotlines in the game, is that all of the humans are dead via some kind of plague. One of the text dumps you find is of instructions for how best to let your pets go before you die. :smith:

The final few audio logs of the game are of the last researcher, who gave up everything for this project she has no idea if it will work or not, panicking that it may not, and then finally accepting death. it's hard to explain, but the voice actress sells the tone perfectly.

Also, the ending was simultaneously everything I expected it to be, and everything I wanted it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

David Copperfield posted:

Also 3 speech skills :stonkhat:

More importantly for my first Wasteland 2 run: the final area is not afraid to kill anyone and everyone, including instantly turning some of your party members, who may have easily included the one party member specialized to open the door to the 'save the world' part after beating the final boss :mad:

You can cheese this by taking him out of the party before starting the pre fight talk, even if he's in the room, as long as he's not in your party he won't turn.

I don't really see how anyone could call the game 'linear', also.

I'm definitely going to replay it when the director's cut drops, there's a lot of interesting choices and quests I want to see the other sides of.