Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

I love how gung-ho about space the eponymous Kerbals are in Kerbal Space Program. Jeb, the main one, is always gleeful whenever he gets to space and seeing his grinning little portrait in the corner always makes me smile. :jeb:

The music is also fantastic, it's always seems to be so fitting. The best is when you finally cut the noisy rumble of your engines, slowly floating through space and the music starts up with his optimistic din that really makes you feel like your accomplished something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Was playing Sniper Elite V2 with a friend of mine and I did a slow motion shot where the bullet entered a guy's neck, tumbled through the air and went through the eye of the dude standing behind him :monocle:

I also like how the game keeps track of your character's heart rate; get shot at a lot or sprint a long distance and it will increase your heart rate where it adversely affects your aim.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LappyDore64 posted:

So I was reading the "Complain About Videogames" thread and some people were whinging about the wanted level system in GTAV being TOO TOUCHY or somesuch, but I had a great little moment a while back when playing as Trevor.

You know how sometimes when you switch to Trevor after a while as somebody else he'll be in his underwear after blacking out somewhere completely random? One time I managed to switch to him as he was coming off a bender at the top of Mount Chilead. I stagger over to the observation platform and look at the skyline of Los Santos in the early morning sun and just happen to turn to look at a fellow early-bird on the platform.

I press the command button to make Trevor say something and he comes up with something pretty innocuous (it may even have just been "'Morning") and this dude just stares at Trevor a moment and then PULLS OUT HIS PHONE AND CALLS THE COPS.

Because Trevor said hello to him! :wtc:

To be fair Trevor probably has multiple warrants for his arrest at any given time, with a sketch of his face constantly plastered all over the news.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Dwarf fortress has a really high learning curve but if you just hit your head against it and wiki anything you are unclear on it's still a really good time. Its only incredibly overwhelming and not very fun for a few days. Jump that hump and then it's only overwhelming but you get to laugh about your dumb rear end dorfs who thought fishing while it rained demon blood was a good plan

Yeah, learning dwarf fortress is less like learning a game than it is learning a new language. A language where you can read stories about how your cat obsessed dwarf has adopted every cat in the fortress and he is followed by a swarm of fur whenever he marches into battle. Or that time your pregnant spearman gave birth mid-battle and used the baby like a club to beat off the rest of the goblins.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oxxidation posted:

Do you know what I really like in games? I really like looking through dead peoples' houses and taking their dead-people stuff.

For this reason, The Last of Us has lately been a fountain of delight. I've got a whole suburb to scavenge with no loading screens, somebody pinch me

You would really like State of Decay. It's basically Loot Neighbourhoods: The Game ft. Zombies

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is pretty great.

It's nice to play a game that advertises itself as a sandbox game and actually get a sandbox where the game mechanics(in this case, the Nemesis system) are the star of the show rather than mission set pieces or story(like in GTA)

I also like how the game feels like an actual world. poo poo happens while your doing other stuff with the various captains and Orc leaders competing for and increasing their power. I even had one moment where I was fighting one Orc captain and two more captains came rushing into the scene and I actually had to book it out of there.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rise of Nations has trade routes which automatically generate a road between your cities. If the there are split paths in the road a little directional signpost pops up.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

...of SCIENCE! posted:

No matter how many games do this it is never not funny.

Arkham Origins had one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJc7SQLxteE

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm playing AC4: Black Flag right now and there's a lot of little things that make the game feel really immersive like the Sea Shanties. I also like how the game tries to keep continuity as much as possible; when you dock a ship you don't enter a cutscene and have your character walk off the ship, you actually sail your ship up to the dock, your character lets go of the wheel and then you get off the ship. And if you gently caress up you land in the water and have to swim to shore.

Same thing with ship battles/boarding. You can swing across on a rope like in a traditional boarding action, or you can have your ship ram it head-on and then leap off your ship's bowsprit (I had to look that up) and do an air assassination on a guy.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I laugh every single time I shoot a dynamite/grenade on some dude's belt in New Vegas causing them to blow up. I laugh even harder when I shoot it in their hand or in the air and it blows up in their face.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kimmalah posted:

I found this out only by accident because occasionally enemies will shoot my grenades out of the air. It's also pretty fun to shoot weapons out of their hands, especially if it breaks in the process (or you pick it back up first) and then they just have to resort to punching you.

Oh yeah this is another great thing about Fallout/VATS. You can actually destroy enemy weapons by targeting them. Or if you're being chased by a scary melee enemy then just shoot them in the legs to cripple them while you run away to fire more shots.

I miss the ability to target eyes though, you could target an opponent in the eyes in fallout 2 which had a chance to blind them.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Feb 17, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

darkwasthenight posted:

How is this possibly more fun or better than being able to target the crotch? 100% dickshots 100% of the time. :colbert:

I'm not gonna lie, I went for the dickshot 99% of the time. But I can see why they took it out, there's not much tactical advantage in blowing a guy's nuts off. But blinding opponents would have been a great way to facilitate a no-kill playthrough or something

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LiterallyTheWurst posted:

Red Orchestra had some fantastic details, but I think the bullet, tank round, and fragmentation tracking was the best thing about it. I was following a T34 on foot in one of the urban maps when a shot from a Panzer IV deflected off the sloped armor and into my face. You could throw yourself onto a grenade in the days of the mod, but I'm not sure if that carried over into the first standalone game.

One of the best things about Red Orchestra in my opinion was the (for lack of a better term) cover system. Basically when you are crouching behind something waist high, you are perfectly covered. But as soon as you look down your sights your character would raise himself up slightly, just enough to be able to peek over your cover and shoot. It's such a small thing but it made a huge difference in gameplay when everyone carries 1-hit kill weapons, exposing as little of yourself as possible makes a tremendous difference.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Killing Floor 2 if you press reload when you have full ammo your character will do a little animation to check if it's full. Like if its a pistol he slides the magazine out or pulls the slide back, if it's a break action shotgun he opens it slightly, etc.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

1redflag posted:

Similarly, the degradation of Batman's costume as the night's progress in the various Arkham games. My only complaint is that they seem to be tied to story progress alone rather than actual game performance (I.e. if you do well, the cape and cowl still get cut up even if you've been a completely stealthy bastard).

In Asylum at least, the damage to his costume is always sustained during cut scenes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Alteisen posted:

Best thing about Batman is that he DOES NOT KILL.

Except when he's flying down the street in his tank and smashes into a criminal at 200mph hour, said criminal is also electrocuted upon contact with the tank.

He's totally fine, the batvision says so.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nth Doctor posted:

Why not just point the lipstick at the door?

The mirrors reflect the laser back and forth so it increases in intensity, allowing it to melt the door. Geez, didn't you pay attention in school

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheKennedys posted:

I play Children of the Nile on a somewhat frighteningly common basis because I've got a touch of the 'tism and citybuilders are my trains - it's a very good citybuilder to start with, but the little jabs at the vastly reduced life expectancy of Pharaoh are pretty amusing. "Now that you're 7, Pharaoh, you're in the prime of your life." "Happy 25th birthday, Pharaoh! Is your tomb ready yet?"

Children of the Nile is an awesome city builder. I liked how the noble's mansions would increase/change based on how wealthy they were and what kind of services you had available to them. Like if you had a statue maker in your city they would decorate their mansion with little statues, or if you had a Tree Seller they would get a palm grove garden.

I also liked when they threw their little parties and your generals and scribes and stuff would get invited.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

redweird posted:

Am I going to pay full price for MGSV? After reading this thread it sure seems like it.

Seriously I need to stop reading this thread. I haven't even finished Batman

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Spider-Man 2 was awesome for its time. The first one with free swinging. I remember spending hours just swinging around and geeking out about it.

I'm still bitter that every subsequent Spiderman game completely disregarded those swinging mechanics. Instead you get 60's cartoon spider man throwing up web lines into thin air and swinging on them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Best/funnest flamethrower I've ever seen in games belongs solidly to Return To Castle Wolfenstein/Enemy Territory

That thing was beastly as gently caress

I agree completely. I distinctly remember that game being the first time I was ever actually impressed with how a flamethrower (or rather, how the flames) looked.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In most games increasing the difficulty level just means enemies take more bullets to kill. But in Killing Floor 2 it (in addition to giving them more health) makes enemies behave differently; enemies that would lumber directly towards you before will try to flank you, some will roll towards you, making headshots really difficult. Another thing is some will run ahead of the pack, preventing you from just tossing a grenade in the middle and blowing them all up. It's neat design since it actually does require you to change tactics a bit which is what difficulty settings should do.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MisterBibs posted:

There's a mission in Rebel Galaxy in which your space ship is surrounded upon detection of an item, around an asteroid field. What you're supposed to do is fight off this massive fleet, then pick up the item.

Unless, of course, you trigger the detection, get as far away from the item as you can, and trigger your warp (travel) engines. Instead of spawning around the asteroid field, it spawns it in a circle around where you are. Since you're at travel speed, the game practically spawns the enemy fleet in a circle five minutes behind you. Make a comically slow turn at warp speed back to the item, pick it up, and boom, mission complete.

If I'm thinking of the same mission, there's already a smaller fleet (of a different but also hostile faction) guarding the object, yeah? I think I got blown up the first time after clearing the smaller fleet out and getting ambushed by the bigger one. So on the next try I just flew in, swiped the item and boosted straight out of there. The massive fleet warps in and the two sides started fighting while I made off with the goods.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I savescummed through XCOM because gently caress games that don't give you enough information (like whether a a death robot on overwatch can see through a tiny gap, or far enough) or buggy (Muton Elites teleporting behind or in the middle of of your agents, flanking an enemy only to find your agent can't loving see him).

I like the way Invisible Inc. does it with it's Rewinds: You avoid having to 'game' the system since it straight up give you reloads, but in limited supply. Granted I haven't gotten very far but it's felt very fair so far.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 06:35 on Jan 7, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In XCOM Enemy Within there's a status affect called 'panic' where the character will do random actions like fire at the enemy, fire at friendlies, run and hide, or just cower wherever they are. Normally this is reserved for your rookies at the early stages of the game when they're facing the terrifying unknown aliens.

About early-mid stage of the game though you get a flamethrower which in addition to setting the enemy and environment on fire makes them panic like mad. It's almost guaranteed. Even the powerful psychic overlords of the alien forces, the Ethreals, lose their poo poo when set on fire. It's like the ultimate reward to see this evil invading species who enslave other races, invade planets, kidnap subjects for experimentation and consider themselves above physical combat just freak the gently caress out over getting set on fire.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In XCOM2 the Aliens have taken over and installed pan-global government called ADVENT. You play as resistance fighters fighting this government which includes hacking into their global network of towers and computer systems.

One of the lines that your hacker might say is Hack the Planet!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Captain Lavender posted:

Stardew Valley is like... 'forget dinner' addictive. I just realized I haven't eaten at 9:30pm

It's got everything I loved about Harvest Moon, but more to do, more to build, more to collect - as well as some good quality of life improvements like being able to walk through most crops.

it's dastardly to put the only save option at the beginning of the day. Once you wake up you instinctively want to check on your crops and animals since its just outside the door. Then pretty soon you've watered all your plants and you might as well play the rest of the day now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Overwatch there's a character who wears and fights in rollerblades and there's a subtle sort of 'slide' to his movements as he runs around in first person view.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stellaris lets you form Federations! One step above an Alliance and one step below full-blown inter-empire annexation.

It even formed organically too, as our little quadrant of space initially had 7 independent empires, until one gobbled two others. The rest of us immediately started talking and formed a federation to counter the now massive superblob on our borders.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

swamp waste posted:

I liked how Metal Gear Solid V made me feel bad for killing in war, with just game mechanics. (As opposed to like someone hollering "Snake! he had a family!" over your radio.) If you see a guy with a blinking status indicator over his head, you could shoot him, or you could sneak up and interrogate him, or you could tranq him and leave him somewhere as a decoy, or you could lead him on a wild goose chase out into the bush and double back and steal his weird Soviet jeep. You could just sneak past while he listens to his bootleg new wave tapes or shoots the poo poo with his friend about army gossip. Or you could recruit him; he could be your chief botanist, your mole in Red Army Intelligence, or just one of the guys in your warehouse loading up your supply balloons. He could snipe an invader from a football field away, or get eaten by a bear while he's out raiding wild opium plants for your tranq rounds, or get into a knife fight with a Congolese teenager over whether your dog is really a wolf.

But as soon as you shoot him, and that little indicator blinks off, none of that will ever happen. Now he's a physics object on the ground, same as a spare tire or an empty jerrycan. Next time you come by this way, he won't even be that.
:350:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mister Adequate posted:

Rolling deep with six Meis is hilarious because the other team gets so goddamn salty about being frozen constantly.

I'm not surprised considering people get salty if there's even one Mei in the game

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Subnautica there's a fish that's basically a a giant eye with some fins on it:

That eye is bioluminescent so it sticks out like a sore thumb at night time. If you try to catch it at night though it does some impressive jukes and change of speeds while keeping its eye closed, as a really effective method of dodging predators like yourself.

You'll be chasing a giant glowing eye one second, then it disappears and is now swimming away in a complete 180.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You can do this with the music instruments in Majora's Mask

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goMixt-6fEs

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Schneider Inside Her posted:

One of the characters in Overwatch has a freeze gun that operates like a flamethrower but freezes people solid instead. It also has a secondary fire that creates an icicle and fires it. There's a slight delay before it fires because the icicle is being created in the gun. What's cool is when you fire an icicle the 25 ammo is not instantly deducted from your clip, but rapidly ticks down as the icicle is made. Really nice touch i thought.

She can also encase herself in ice as a way to heal and avoid damage. If someone uses an ability that reveals player positions, you can see her curled up into a ball in her little ice shelter :3:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Civ 6 isn't perfect but the strategic view is gorgeous and looks like the overworld map of some 16 bit game

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

People paid a full $60 for No Man's Sky. It's no wonder videogames are (becoming?) a bigger industry than movies.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

poptart_fairy posted:

My point is that people are being deliberately dumb about the title.

That's cause its a dumb title. Like 'Xbox One'

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cleretic posted:

WRONG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDjaQNiTog

For what it's worth, it was first called 'the first world war' in writing in 1914, but it was most likely intended as a war of the first world, rather than a worldwide war.

Granted, it only caught on after WWII, but still, the term 'the first world war' was coined around 1914.

Isn't the term 'First World' 'Third World', etc from the Cold War?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CJacobs posted:

Honestly reading into the story of Overwatch kinda screwed up the gameplay for me because now I sometimes have those really self aware moments where it's like "none of these characters should be fighting each other, what's the point, most of them like each other and the ones that don't barely even hate each other". The devs' explanation of 'it's like playing with your action figures, who cares what GI Joe's story is when he's fighting the decepticons' doesn't really help. But I guess that's a Thing Dragging The Game Down and not a Little Thing In The Game.

Considering it's a Blizzard game, just pretend everyone on one team(or both) is corrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Mad Max you team up with a magical mutant who among other things, can drive your car to you when you're on foot. Normally this is achieved by calling him with a flare gun but if you do it within shouting distance he just yells for the car.

Also your character is Aussie so its more like "Bring me the cahh"