Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sad lions posted:

I don't have the means to actually test how good it is but Alien Isolation (on the PS4 at least, unsure about others) can use the camera to use your actual head tilt to make your character do the same and, more interestingly, use the microphone to detect whether you've made any loud noises that the enemies could pick up on.
Kind of wish I had that set up for my first run since the game (especially during the hive section) gave me some pretty good reminders of how it felt watching the movies for the first time (and entirely too young for them) and I would naturally go super quiet as I listened out for the sound of things moving around as Amanda hid under a desk.

I had the microphone hooked up playing it once, and poo poo was tense as hell, being stalked by the Alien. Ended up hiding under a gurney when my girlfriend came home after having picked up our son. He runs to me screaming "DAAA DAAA DAA DAAAA" at the top of his lungs, tipping the Alien off to where I was hiding and ending up in my face being eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

In The Division, in the D-Zone, npcs of the various factions have roving battles against each other. If you as a player try joining the battle they won't immediately gang up on you :stare: blew me away that they actually kept doing what they were doing and not drop everything to skullfuck me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Been playing Uncharted 4 and there are so many awesome little touches in the game, at one point you can buy an apple from a street vendor and go pet a lemur and then the lemur follows you and steals your apple and you get a trophy for it :buddy:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My favorite little thing in Uncharted 4 is how it made me feel totally sad when it ended, but like in a good way :unsmith: also the entire epilogue was just great.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bewilderment posted:

There was a blond sorceress and I said to my girlfriend "I heard you could do a quest and you sex her" and she said "hell yeah, show me" and that led to literally like six hours of sidequesting and mainquesting for her before you get sex.

Tell your girlfriend to call me

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

God drat am I glad I hate JRPGs.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

When does it come out for PS4?

It's out now and pretty great, but the loading screens are both numerous and hideously long. Four separate, minute-long loading screens before you're even in the game proper.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Battlefield 2142 had in-game ads for real-life products and services and it was terrible. The game was dope as gently caress though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I really enjoyed Firewatch - can't put my finger on exactly what it was, but it was a touching story. When the finale came, I stayed around the tower longer than I expected, kind of sad to see the place go. Didn't expect myself to get as into the game as much I did.

Same I thought it was like, a genuinely emotional moment when you find out the deal with the dude and the cave and such.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I hope the canal get fleshed out more in destiny 2, I hoped the mission in the taken king where you find out they sent an SOS to their empire meant they would be the main feature of the last expansion which turned out to be rise of iron :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Rise of Iron owns because Destiny is a cool game with cool laser gun fights and RoI adds more lasers.

Also, it's the only expansion that really deals with pre-collapse (or immediately post-collapse) humanity in any respect at all, which is awesome since there's clearly a ton of story there that the player otherwise never gets to see.

I wish they'd go full Bungie and hire a bunch of halfway decent authors to pump out some Destiny novels I would eat that poo poo up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Surprisingly, if you ask a thousand random people of the love Hitler, a lot of them will admit to the fact that, yes, they do love Hitler. But get a load of this, his thousand year reich didn't even come close to lasting a thousand years! Ha!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Tim Curry's best performance of his entire career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Ahahaha this is so good

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Been playing a lot of Titanfall 2 lately and the campaign is probably one of the best singleplayer experiences of the last few years. It's hard to single out the little things - it's like they all flow together and make everything really loving good, but I guess the main thing I liked is the relationship between you, pilot Jack Cooper, and your titan, BT. In the beginning BT just lost his long time pilot and is really distant. By the end you're best fuckin bros and I was legitimately sad when he sacrifices himself. "Trust me." *flings you 500 meters into the air to save your life* :smith:

The multiplayer is out of this loving world too, wallrunning and using your grapple like some demented loving future spiderman is so much fun and it blows all the other "exosuit" games like black ops etc out of the water.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Either I'm loving insane or it's possible to manually shift gears while driving in watch dogs 2 by using the pressure sensitive triggers on the ps4 controller. I was cruising around listening to music and trying to drive "normally" but the engine noise was drowning the actual music. It was because I needed to shift gears up by pressing the trigger ever so slightly harder! Honestly it totally blew me away.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

graybook posted:

Marvel's Contest of Champions on mobile has am auto fight feature once you hit a certain level. Now i can sit back and let the ai use my punchmans and punchwomans to fight itself.

The beginning of the end

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Doesn't matter, dude. You've set it on its path. This Disney/Marvel version of Skynet has taken its first steps on a road that will inevitably end in the complete eradication of humanity. Thor-like Terminators and inhuman Spiderman-ish drones will render your nerd body down into blood-slick mud and ashes and the only joy left in the world will be the satisfaction of a coldly perfect machine-intelligence as it gazes upon a ruined world, its work complete. And it's all your fault, and yours alone.
Weep for us. Shed your tears for the hordes of unburied dead. Cry out to the heavens in despair. Scream for the multitudes you have doomed. Weep for yourself

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Dishonored 2: I killed all of a guard's buddies, so he ran away. Couldn't find him despite looking, but eventually I found him hiding out pretending to be a normal NPC, warming his hands on a campfire in a corner. Didn't get alerted with me walking by, nothing. Coward.

Sounds like the most intelligent npc in the game.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Destiny in general is dragged down by its lack of story content, there's clearly so much they could do with the different factions that haven't been done. Here's to hoping Destiny 2 picks up the ball.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nuebot posted:

It's weird because there is a story, and some of it is actually really cool with some cool implications and ideas. But it's literally all hidden in an out of game website. All in favor of super monotonous gameplay that literally never changes from start to finish.

Yeah I love what story there is and spent hours hunting down all the Ghosts. Its weird to me that they don't hire some halfway competent scifi writer to pump out some Destiny novels expanding on the universe, like they did with Halo. I'd buy all of them :stare:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

Rumors are circulating that Destiny 2 will focus on the Cabal, FWIW.

The Books of Sorrow were really one of the best parts of The Taken King, it's exactly the sort of epic half-SF/half-mythology flavor they promised all along. It's far from the first game to have you unlock a whole text piecemeal while exploring, but the way it's written and gradually comes together to explain not only the expansion's backstory but other aspects of the lore was masterful.

Books of Sorrow were for sure rad but the Hive are so 2015. If D2 is all about the Cabal I am glad they've been criminally underused. The whole Cabal backstory is so melancholy sorta like the Hive but approached from the other direction.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, this is my issue with it exactly. The game starts with Peter Dinklage or Nolan North or whoever waking you up from being dead for centuries, drags your rear end to the Tower, and then suddenly it's like your character is expected to know the ins and outs of Guardian life and the ongoing wars against four different races. Exposition is helpful sometimes.

lolwhat

The first time the player meets the Speaker he literally goes like "I could tell you about the time the Traveller fought the Darkness and all the rad as gently caress poo poo I will forever allude to... But I won't now get the gently caress out"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I second that motion.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oh, my god. Has anyone seen the intro to Wildlands? It is so unbelievably retarded, it must either be a masterpiece or madness. It honestly seems like it was cooked up by someone with a grudge against the nation of Bolivia, and everybody should see it on youtube. I hope this link works, I'm phoneposting. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvzv8BAFB24

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Good thing we got the Force Unleashed games where you're basically playing a guy with a colored baseball bat that can perform combos against enemies. With a Lightsaber.

gently caress Force Unleashed.

I have some vague memories of enjoying both of those, just having fun with throwing storm troopers around.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There was a Tom Clancy RTS some years back that did the while voice command thing and it worked pretty well, I remember playing through the campaign using only voice commands.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Is it Saints Row 4 where your guy has a "flirt" or "romance" dialogue option when talking to Kinzie, and your guy just goes "hey Kinzie, waaanna gently caress?" Just about poo poo my pants laughing when it happened the first time.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

This game also had achievement points that that ended in odd denominators, so my entire xbox360 life had the last digit ending in a 3 or an 8. Horrible.

That's pretty rad, just thinking about the thousands of turbonerds gettin' real mad about it brings a smile to my face. Thank you friend

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Weirdest example of OSP I saw was The Divison - while it was intended as "don't rely on any munitions or technical support coming from us", it came across as the American government being unable to pony up for an American gun, on American soil, for use by American agents against American factions.

:psyduck:

There's a reason for that though, the US has basically collapsed by the point the game starts and IS unable to provide effectice resupply but it's really bad at getting that fact across during cutscenes etc so you have to get all the colletibles and not miss any of the in-mission dialogue to pick up on it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

The tip only comes into play during stealth.

Hell, same

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If you're a huge pussy like me it's also way scary.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My preference is pissing wildly on the floor like a animal, does the game accurately reflect this?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

It does have sexy dude machines, yeah.

2B's ridiculous appearance is a lot easier to get over than most obviously fanservice women in anime games because of the philosophical themes and the science fiction stuff the game goes through -- it's really not a game about looking sexy -- and the cinematics and camera never do any suspicious lingering shots of her butt, so really the game treats her about as respectfully as possible considering she looks that way literally because the director wanted a hot girl to be the protag.

Lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Bound (currently free on PSPlus) is not a very good game: it's essentially a pretty tech demo with repetitive gameplay and a cliche indie game narrative.
HOWEVER

It has an incredible photography mode:

This (and Hellblade and Mario Odyssey) make realise I'd probably enjoy a straight up photography game.

Pokemon Snap already exists though?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Being hungover or being Batman?

Foraging for scraps like a animal

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

More voiceacting chat: seminal cold war-em up World in Conflict has a part where you're commanding a raiding force in Russia, via Norway and your american units are joined by a company of norwegian special forces and Massive (I think theyre the developer) actually managed tl track down some norwegian dudes to deliver their lines, complete with terrible accents and wildly specific norwegian army terminology. It seemed like a huge investment in what amounts to like half an hours mission, but it blew me away when I first played it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AssCreed Origins might be the best AV game yet, but the one feature in it thats currently my favorite little things is the camera mode and how it lets you post your rad images on to the map for other players to view and like! I have found some REALLY cool looking poo poo that people have posted; still desperately waiting for someone to like my photos though :smith:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I wish Bungie would go full Halo with Destiny and hire a bunch of well meaning and competent writers to pump out some Destiny novels, Id buy the poo poo out of it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Also Origins, you can hallucinate in the desert and see mirages and poo poo, it for reals freaked me out a bit that I could see what was apparently a pack of giant dogs in the distance, fighting amongst themselves but never coming any closer. It was honestly way subtler a thing than I would have excpected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

He also replaced certain thug models some fights later in the game.

And random statuary and billboards and poo poo. I was gliding on my merry way one time, passing one of the apparently millionsof gothic statues in Gotham and out of the corner of my eye I saw one of them was like a hosed up Joker statue. It wentoff screen for a second and when I swung back, it was back to normal. Highly atmospheric.