Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Anatharon posted:

It's too bad that isn't the case for the Detroit roof boss.

Always making GBS threads on Detroit :(

(it was actually Denver)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

carry on then posted:

I'm still waiting for a game to take place in Phoenix. Ideally something like Watch Dogs but I'd settle for a single level. We're not that bad.

Madden et al. :v:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Alouicious posted:

that's Glendale you fucker

Phoenix is so lovely not even the Cardinals want to play there? My condolences.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

If you hate the bonewheels in DS2 then you don't have a soul.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

LaserBaconMan posted:

I don't have a soul, I have 7,000. :c00l:

Maybe you should leave Majula at some point then

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bad Munki posted:

It's been a while and I don't remember it. Screenshot?

It's the telescope. If you lower it too much it breaks the glass sealing the world and you get sucked out into space.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Tiggum posted:

I'd say not playing it is the way to go. I enjoyed it at the time, but I was playing it with my father and brother, so that made it more fun, and we didn't have the internet (or many other games). These days, with so many other options, I doubt any of us would pick that game or get very far with it before giving up. Some of the puzzles require some serious working out (we had to write down pages of notes to get through it) and it's very slow-paced.

Don't listen to this. Myst is still one of the absolute best point and click puzzle games. Yeah, it's a lot harder than a more modern point and click game, but it's not that hard. Besides, specifically because we live in a time with the internet, you can look up some hints to puzzles that you get stuck on.

Riven (Myst 2) is legit hard though. However, it's one of the best rendered games and totally worth playing. Myst 3, 4 and 5 have something to offer but are a lot more like modern point and clicks.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ryoshi posted:

There was a Myst trilogy with the first three games that got a pretty huge print run about ten years ago, it's probably not that difficult to find these days (although I want to say there were some serious compatibility issues with Exile). I'm pretty sure I've seen a few shrink wrapped copies of Myst IV in Half Price Books as well.

Sadly I haven't played anything past Riven because I am a big dumb idiot incapable of beating that game.

Myst 3, 4 and 5 are a huuuuuge step down in difficulty from Riven.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

graybook posted:

Thankfully there's a bone charm you can pick up that speeds up the process, at least.

It's really helpful for a non-lethal playthrough*

*unless it's one of the last charms you get

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Radio Paranoia posted:

I was mucking about in the latest Dark Souls 2 DLC and got invaded by an NPC. I was expecting the guy to run up and try to face gently caress me as usual but the bastard used chameleon to turn into a barrel and popped out when I was inching towards a bloodstained chest.

Normally only dickish human invaders did stuff like that. And I thought the earlier DLC NPC phantoms waving was a nifty bit of added "humanity".

:darksouls:

There's another NPC invader in that DLC that's an even bigger rear end in a top hat :allears:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

raverrn posted:

Yeah, anyone who likes video games should take a half-hour to go watch Egoraptor's take on it: Sequelitis

Mega Man X is as good a video game as this video is bad.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Calaveron posted:

Neon underground pastel synthwave retro Miami LA 80's or whatever it's called at least has some decent music going on for it.
All steampunk has going for it is nerds with seborrheic dermatitis.

This post is even more nerdy than steampunk.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ignimbrite posted:

Also asides from the fact that the world Dishonoured is set on is circling a black hole, which was in one of the earlyish books you could read.

And what exactly is wrong with orbiting a black hole?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Arx Monolith posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Wasn't Joker gay??

No, he was bad at women because he's a neckbeard

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bhodi posted:

I had forgotten until right this second about (male) Shep sexually harassing the crew, specifically that assistant that's under his direct command.

So uh, thanks for that I guess.

Spoilers: FemShep harasses her as well.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Jerusalem posted:

Hmm, I don't remember this music at all, I'll just click on the link and oh yeah that's not leaving my head for the next 3 months :neckbeard:

No kidding. I told myself I didn't remember Bully music, and then I watched the video and yep I remember Bully music.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

JebanyPedal posted:

The lore is interesting, but the writing loving sucks, and not for the reasons you posted, it is stilted, unnatural, poorly characterized, and lifeless in tone.
The reason Obsidian and Black Isle games are held up for having good writing is because their writers are fairly competent at instilling those qualities. They've always been more about character to character action and writing in the moment, which is something decent writers realize is more important, compared to TES or Bioware games where it's either lore dumps, characters blatantly revealing every nugget of info about themselves, and a strange motion that if the overarching plot is interesting that that is somehow good writing.
Good writing in games is making that dumb NPC picking his rear end in a top hat someone interesting, not being able to write reams of poo poo or pull cool twists or Hollywood intensity.

I mean, yeah some game writing is better than others but let's not kid ourselves.

No game writing is good writing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Dropbear posted:

I don't get why games are still stuck to the same old fantasy races (though often with a "~twist~"). The genre gives them license to bring wondrous and strange ideas and concepts to life... and nope, better go with the orcs and elves and all that once again, otherwise someone might have to use a tiny bit of actual imagination somewhere. That's why I can't get into the Dragon Age games either, I just feel like I've seen it a thousand times already.

I'd kill for a game set in the Malazan world. Advanced technology, sword-armed raptors? Let's do it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've played Brothers up till the first checkpoint and I'm wondering if I should even bother. The controls are hosed.

Haha what? The controls are the game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Captain Lavender posted:

Sounds like it's a game he doesn't like? I wasn't jazzed either, but it's easy enough to beat regardless.

It's not for everyone, sure, but to say the controls are hosed?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Is there a NV mod that removes all the post-apocalyptic stuff and makes you work a desk job for 8 hours at a time? I want that mod.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I bet you all are the same monsters that go around trying to convince everyone that the card game in Final Fantasy 8 is actually fun :colbert:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

One thing I liked about Arkham Knight was that some Riddler informants aren't intimidated by Batman's interrogation and use the opportunity to try to hit him.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

QuietLion posted:

I'm playing through my backlog of games, and Darksiders II has been pretty great. It plays like a redlined 3D Prince of Persia games, which was a much welcome change from the gameplay in Darksiders I (War felt like molasses to play).

The best change IMO from I to II is the improvement on combat; it's more forgiving than the first game and the boss fights feel far more polished.

Also it's nice that Despair doesn't bug out nearly as much as Ruin. That Sandworm boss fight in the first game was the worst when you could successfully mount Ruin maybe one in four attempts. :argh:

Didn't want this getting lost in the sea of MGSV:TPP chat because it's literally the wrongest opinion in this thread ever :colbert:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Oh that's cool let's just continue posting unmarked spoilers for the brand new AAA game you dumb fucks

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I got in a fight the other day and after knocking the guy out I accidentally fulton extracted him without thinking. Don't know where I even got the device and have no idea where the guy went.

What do I do?

You're going to extract him?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Yeah, CQ is pretty short. But it's not a super bad thing because the combat is pretty shallow and super repetitive. I really wish they had just completely overhauled the combat for the sequel.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Far Cry Primal actually had the most cohesive story. Save your people, kill the other people.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifce is so good looking and tells such a great tale. I was taking constant screenshots because it's just so good looking.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you not played Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? :colbert:

The first game in the Enslaved series.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

BioEnchanted posted:

I got kind of tired of God of War so started playing Rime instead. I'm loving Rime's exploration, and the puzzles are really well put together and adorable. Just got to the windmill area. The collectibles are also really cute, and I'm hoping to find more of the toys/outfits/emblems. Don't know what the Keyholes are though, I was fairly thorough unless they only come in later.

Oh man you are not ready for where this game goes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

play Kiwami, it's good. The side quests aren't as great and it has some very PS2 bits but it's a fine game with a better story than 0 imo

Boss fights in Kiwami are incredibly tedious. Just finished Kiwami 2 and it's a huge improvement.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Calaveron posted:

Mgsv has very very few cutscenes. The bulk of the story is done by little audio codecs

What it does have is an hour long intro/tutorial mission that you can't skip!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

A couple of expansions into WoW and I always thought it was a pain in the rear end to get 10 people together regularly to raid. I can' t imagine the logistics of getting 40 loving people together all the time.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

That reminds me that Sekiro had a really cool poison mechanic.

There was an item that would intentionally poison yourself, but with a very weak poison. Doing so would make you immune to the much more severe poison buildup of enemies.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Kit Walker posted:

Your attacks also clip through walls so that's not really a big strike against the game. In my experience the real problem comes from grab hitboxes. Those attacks usually have great tracking but also activate weird so it can look like you perfectly dodged something (you didn't) only to get teleported into the grab. One recent example I was dealing with was the Sir Alonne fight in DS2. Dude has a thrust attack that's actually a grab, and the hitbox on that is genuinely lovely because the dangling bit of string on the end of the hilt of his sword is part of the hitbox, and if you dodge forward left you'll touch it and get teleported ten feet away on to the end of his sword. Dodging forward right is fine, though, and puts you in a perfect position to hit him

Having flashbacks to the ogre grab in Sekiro

Grab attacks in Elden Ring suck rear end too

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

jjack229 posted:

I don't think I have ever understood the phrase "tough but fair" for video games.

What are examples of games that are tough and unfair that the phrase is contrasting against?

calling From games "fair" is a huge stretch

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

So in most From games, the enemies you fight are either player sized or giants of men. Like, most bosses are 15 feet tall giants.

In Elden Ring there's a group of enemies that are just small guys that decided to form their own army, the Vulgar Militia. They are like 3 feet tall.

They also have unique backstab animations where the player just brutally use their size to destroy them and I love it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Dewgy posted:

There’s a shield ash that lets you parry magic. Dunno how well it works, but it’s a thing!

There's one that negates spells and one that negates and forms glintblades that shoot back at the attacker.

It is super powerful actually (not sure it can deflect rocks though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

What are you gonna do? NOT check it?