Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also in that area, blowing up the helicopter will eliminate the patrolling helicopters later on at the mountain base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The joke in no way stops there. The only thing I know for real is that someone on the staff was a huge Camus fan.

Platinum does that sort of thing a lot. Vanquish was full of references to Candide. Bayonetta has a set of ice skates named Odette and a rocket launcher named Kilgore.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Buzkashi posted:

I just finished Dishonored finally, and I love that you can sign your name in the guestbook during the party mission. My friend summed up the two best outcomes for it well: either you murder everyone at the party and when the city watch investigates later, the only clue they find amidst the chaos is your name in the book, or nobody has any idea that anything is amiss except for the fact that Lady Boyle is missing, and again, the only clue is your name in the book.

The game will pick up on this, and later on you can find a note that says something like "We found the name of the most wanted man in the country in this party's guestbook. It's probably just some wiseass who thinks he's funny, but just thought you should know, sir".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Bishop posted:

So the Gravemind looks like a talking penis with a horrible necrotic infection now. Ya, I'd rather take the old talking-head-of-cabbage version over that any day because holy crap, that art direction is just so amazingly lovely. Same goes for the rest of what I've seen of Halo 2 Anniversary's cutscenes, really.

It actually looks closer to the original concept art than the talking cabbage:

The talking cabbage was a result of trying to pull that off on the original Xbox hardware, and under a high-pressure dev schedule.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Portal 2 has multiple achievements for following various NPC instructions that are very obviously leading you to your death.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Halo games used "killed by the guardians" but that had to change in Destiny for obvious reasons.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morpheus posted:

Wasn't Jules Vern the father of steampunk, though that term wasn't coined at the time? Or at least he planted the seed, or something. Never really looked into it, but I've heard his name come up often in discussions about it.

Jules Verne was a contemporary of the stuff that steampunk is a retro throwback to, so he doesn't really count. Steampunk as a describable, cohesive movement didn't really exist until the late 20th century.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

barcoded posted:

Isn't it implied that the Outsider is a god of the whales, as well? The ones being killed for oil?

Yep. It's also strongly implied that the world has passed peak whale oil and the whole shebang is set to implode in the near future (which also makes the low chaos happy ending jarring and far less plausible).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

Deus Ex had a great version of this.

"Ok, I'll help you, but only if you kill my boss."
"Already did."
"...what? Why?"

The best one was in Mass Effect 1. You can delay the Liara rescue mission, which is supposed to be one of the first things you do, and play it as the second to last mission in the game. At which point when you finally rescue her a) she's practically delirious from spending days trapped in the forcefield and b) she has a bit of a breakdown when debriefed because figuring out the Protheans was supposed to be her life's work and you did exactly that while running around the galaxy not rescuing her.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's his answer?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also, when she's wearing the armor, she's too heavy for enemies to pick up and kidnap. You can even see them struggle for a moment and fail.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edmond Dantes posted:

As an Argentinian, RE4 was loving hilarious. As cultists from not-Spain, a lot of the time they're chanting "cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo" which, in Spain Spanish, means "grab him/get him".
In Argentinian slang, however, they're chanting "gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him". :awesome:

IIRC the specific dialog they use when coming up behind you is Spanish for "I'm behind you, idiot".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can sell fish to the merchant, I think he'll give you a couple thou for the big ones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How many lightgun shooters give you completely free navigation and let you suplex the enemies?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Don Gato posted:

Something else fun is that if you cut off all the limbs of a normal enemy, they just flop around on the ground yelling insults at you before despawning.

Something even more fun is that the game will actually register that as a nonlethal takedown rather than a kill and the stats will acknowledge that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That loving Sned posted:

I wouldn't have his voice any other way in Revengeance, though.

LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME FOR JACK TO LET 'ER RIP

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone (Namco I think) has a patent on that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know if that's true but they do have a patent on the best way to build a dpad which is why all other dpads are terrible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EmmyOk posted:

They have unique ones for if you're staring at a poster with a girl on it

Doing this in the 2/3/PW anthology version will unlock a trophy/achievement named "Snake Beater".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My favorite thing about RFG is that the demolition system is so accurate that the level designers had to bone up on basic architectural principles to build structures that the engine wouldn't cause to collapse on their own the moment they started playing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Have you used it in the game? That doesn't really happen, analog sticks are precise enough to hit the letter most of the time. And overshooting and correcting is still faster than navigating a dpad grid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't like Fable 2 that much but I hoped the citizens of albion appreciated all the statues flipping the bird I left around the kingdom.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The PC version has something added to one of the Scarecrow levels that makes it look like your video card died.

The console versions do that too, is it a different effect?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In Watch Dogs you can't really gank, though, just sort of annoy and possibly cost a small amount of time and status.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Vin Diesel was really involved in development, not just because he's a huge nerd but because he really likes being Riddick. He didn't found Starbreeze, he founded a company called Tigon that helped out with that (but not other Starbreeze games).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's fair, but in Dark Souls you finish the game the same whether you've seen 50% of the content or 100%, so you don't miss anything by not using a guide. There's no hidden superbosses like in a Final Fantasy game or the like. Seeing things vs missing them just makes your own little Dark Souls story different.

Yeah, but you have to admit that everything about a Souls game makes you desperately want to chase after every tiny edge you can get, especially early on. There are multiple places where not knowing the trick or the build will greatly increase the difficulty and you can only throw yourself at a fight so many times before you start wondering if there's a better way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are more giveaways than that. If you use it at the palace it will say "We have both been here before".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sad lions posted:

Painted world!
Hell of a big area to be so hidden away.

They even hid the DLC behind a puzzle :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Slime posted:

When you get out of the tutorial area, you end up in a place with a well. I don't know if it was in the game by default or if it was left by another player, but a sign next to it said "Try jumping". Being a seasoned gamer who's played lots of games with hidden treasure in strange places I was going to try jumping in the well anyway, since in videogames well ALWAYS have loot in them.

I died, of course.

One of the first things I saw in Demon's Souls was what was obviously a drop into a bottomless pit with a message in front of it reading "TREASURE AHEAD".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just wait until you can suplex them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best video in Alan Wake is this Verizon commercial because a) it appears in the middle of an escape sequence) b) there is an achievement for stopping to watch it and c) this made some people really mad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can only do the cigarette thing three times per level but yeah it's totally badass.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samfucius posted:

Is it Victorian Anor Londo? Because it looks like Victorian Anor Londo.

Pretty much. It's at the intersection of Anor Londo, Dunwall, and the castle area in Resident Evil 4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the MGR boss fights have amazing music, and they even tie the mix into the game. Each boss's song only plays its lyrics when you reach the final phase, except the final boss. His lyrics are on so long as Raiden is holding his sword- there are a couple of ways during the fight in which it can leave his hand, and when that happens it's instrumental until he gets it back. This includes a moment during the climatic QTE animation when he briefly take his hands off it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
DP is both a great game and has horrible gameplay.

And the fast travel item is almost impossible to stumble on naturally as you have to use the replay chapter feature with no clues or prompting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

At least in Bloodborne he has some kind of comeuppance considering how he's just a head on a giant spider body.

Also he's a lot easier to kill

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Away all Goats posted:

In Asylum at least, the damage to his costume is always sustained during cut scenes.

You always see what caused it. Either he's caught in an explosion, or he gets shot, or a villain gets in one good punch during a cutscene, or something like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In other Batman media Bruce is still a world-class martial artist without the suit but he lets himself get beaten up if someone's watching so they don't realize he's more than an airhead billionaire.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nothing in Arkham Knight is going to top the thugs (and the Joker!) ripping on Lost in Arkham City.

I did like the guy saying he preferred the look of Batman's old car, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can see the original Arkham Asylum, too. A lot of distant landmarks are riddle targets.