Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And then you achieve the final true third boss phase and the guitars get even more loving rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Also if you cast spells like Polymorph on characters immediately before going into a cutscene, it will persist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENO_i2u8kBo

This is pretty great, but what makes it fantastic is the subtitle

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was a Superman game that used a similar idea- supes was invulnerable, but Metropolis had a health bar you had to protect

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
inside every man are two sleeping dogs. the one that makes a cute little ball on a chair and the one that somehow takes up your entire bed despite only being 30 pounds

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The spoiler thing is true, you have to import a save descended from an ME1 run where you did the opposite

It’s probably like that because the opposite is significantly harder to achieve

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Philippe posted:

The online system is purely collaborative and it's harder (though not impossible) to troll your fellow Porters.

At launch there was a problem with the one guy who lived at the bottom of a box canyon, it was pretty common to go visit him only to find the box canyon so full of abandoned trucks that you couldn't reach the door. I don't think it was intentional, just that whenever someone parked a truck there it would get synced to the world server and anyone who went there later would find all the trucks of everyone who had been recently. Eventually they patched in a button to delete other people's trucks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Philippe posted:

Yeah, the true final boss of Death Stranding was "now go all the way across the map and encounter all the threats again", or possibly "now go across the starting map with no equipment and a fragile-rear end box on your back that can't get wet while there are jellyfish everywhere".

I remember this not being very hard because I had built up a lot of the road and the bike with infinite boost was fast enough to just ignore the BTs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just tell me it still has the ads for Ride With Norman Reedus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well first they think of Obi-Wan dissing blasters, then they think of the Raiders bit

haveblue has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Jan 30, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Blaster bolts travel slow enough that you can see them move across the screen

CJacobs posted:

Edit: Nearly everyone they fight is going to have a gun because of the blaster arms race. Therefore, blocking lasers by sound alone is the very first thing a Jedi learns, that's what the goofy training helmet is for.

:goonsay: actually it's the force allowing them limited prescience so they can move to deflect the shot way early, and furthermore

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you have on the mullet and dropkick someone, you get the achievement "Roadhouse".

Also if you have on a headband and punch a training dummy you get the achievement "Cobra Cal"

I think those are the only two funny ones though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the achievements in No Man's Sky are the titles of and/or references to classic sci-fi novels

A Scanner Darkly
The Stars, Like Dust
Foundation
Babel-17
Contact
Use of Weapons
The Star Beast
The Longest Voyage
The Space Merchants
The Languages of Pao
Who Goes There?
Pattern for Conquest
Stranger in a Strange Land
Symphony For A Lost Traveler
Galapagos
A Space Odyssey
The Diamond Age
Citizen of the Galaxy
What Mad Universe
The Forever War
The Sentinel
Have Spacesuit - Will Travel
Total Perspective Vortex (Platinum)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Dead Rising achievement is named “Zombie Genocider”

There’s an achievement in a different zombie game, IIRC one of the Left 4 Dead’s, for killing 53,595 zombies

It’s called ”Zombie Genocidest”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When you first get the hidden blade in AC2, this happens

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Randalor posted:

... what the heck is Helldivers? A "murder your friends" simulator?

Basically a game version of the scene in Starship Troopers where they first land on bug planet and all the troops get slaughtered

haveblue has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Feb 16, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nameless Pete posted:

I love that the Riddler puzzles in the Arkham games are not presented as some sort of real-world problem to be solved. Usually devs try to include the plot conceit that this color matching minigame is somehow breaking the encryption on an ancient alien supercomputer or whatever, but here you have to solve puzzles because you are being harassed by an insane puzzle nerd.

There's even NPC dialog about how they keep stumbling over weird question mark trophies and almost getting killed by question-mark-themed deathtraps

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When he couldn't use Max Payne in the Alan Wake franchise, he created a new detective named Alex Casey

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, but it might be fun to watch as a sort of road trip passenger experience?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Smh if you don't think "I will defend this dog with my life" the instant a dog appears in a video game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The evergreen Yakuza fanart

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That was obviously self-defense

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best sword thing in Ghost of Tsushima is you can swipe on the touchpad to perform a cool flourishing sword sheath the instant you kill the last guy, before he even hits the ground

The worst sword thing in Ghost of Tsushima is that the last guy is then crawling around on the ground dying and you have to redraw your sword, kill him, and sheath it again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked the bit in the Tomb Raider Powerwash Simulator campaign about that. "You're probably wondering about the T-Rex. Yes, it's real. Don't ask."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The PS4 version will never be OK, it's more game than the PS4 could handle no matter how optimized it gets

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the cars in Mad Max are right-hand drive, for obvious reasons

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ilmucche posted:

I just got to the grave hoard in horizon zero dawn. Still working my way through it but I like that there's all this optimism early but right st the entrance you find the log of the soldiers making a last stand when it's all failed and one of them goes "do you think 30 seconds will be enough for (the scientist lady) to finish zero dawn?" and the rest of them crack up. Then everyone dies :smith:

Ted faro lol lmao what an rear end in a top hat, saved the world from climate change (I think) then turned into making unstoppable biomass eating military machines. What an idiot, also the "faro plague". Eat poo poo, rear end in a top hat

Edit: oh poo poo they edit their audio logs down. That's sad :(

That's why people say "gently caress Ted Faro" but not why people say "gently caress Ted Faro"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do you get the item back when that happens?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
WD:L is a set of pretty great open world toys (the ridable cargo drone is amazing) wrapped around a character swapping gimmick that doesn't really add much and a cowardly desire to portray near-future Britain as a dystopian hellhole without once mentioning Brexit because video games aren't political

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's almost a whole genre now where every last facet of the entire possibility space they present is considered part of the value and something not to share with anyone. Outer Wilds. Frog Fractions. Probably others

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, most puzzle games have zero replay value once you have the solutions, but not all of them make absolutely everything you do, down to the most basic structure of the world and how you interact with it, part of the puzzle

Like, no one considers it a spoiler to say that Tetris is about rotating blocks or Myst is about a series of islands. But people still try not to mention that, say, Outer Wilds has a time loop

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

Literally not a spoiler it's part of the marketing lol

Maybe, but there was definitely a period where the forums consensus was "say NOTHING beyond it's a really good game" and people would get mad at you if you posted that unspoiled

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Hygiene posted:

That reminds me, I actually did have this experience too! I never saw too much about the movies ahead of time, outside of a few catchphrases with no context, and it totally got me when the terminators meet up at the mall. It was great, it's easy to see how telegraphed it is on a rewatch, but my initial assumptions were too strong the first time around.

It was kind of a weird situation in the contemporaneous mediascape too. Arnold was a relative unknown in the first movie, so he could be an icy killer robot and nobody would have a problem with that. But by the second one he had become one of the biggest movie stars in the world on the back of the whole 80s action movie phenomenon so he was now part of a formula and a gigantic Brand. Nobody wanted or expected him to play a villain any more even though the movie tries to pretend there is some uncertainty there for as long as it can

James Cameron did an absolutely masterful job communicating that this guy isn't the icy killer robot you remember- by having him crash a biker bar butt naked and beat the poo poo out of everyone in it and take all their stuff. Those are not things a good guy is supposed to do! But it still gives you the sense that things are different from the first movie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn’t the Nameless One basically responsible for every bad thing that’s happened in the Planescape world for the past couple of centuries? Including all the personal tragedies of your party members?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The mod system in Control was entirely unnecessary and should have been cut

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

The rail shooter spinoff of Until Dawn that retells the story in metaphor via hosed up carnival ride is buck wild and the widest genre shift I've seen. Dead Space Extraction adapted fantastically to the limitations too.

Yeah Rush of Blood was way better than it had any right to be

But it’s not exactly a retelling, it’s what’s happening inside Josh’s head while he’s turning into a wendigo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was neat but since it was also like the 20th catacomb I found I wasn't really receptive to interrogating the deeper structure of each one by then