Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Len posted:

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

On the upside, it seemed to get a bunch of developers to patch their games to remove GFWL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe it's because I kind of marathoned my way through Arkham Knight over the last few days but I don't remember any segments where you play as Bruce Wayne. When does that happen?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Patriots suppressing technology is a thing. It's the reason why technology got so crazy in the like five years between MGS4 and Rising, everything the Patriots were suppressing got out after their destruction and now Raiden-stye-cyborgs are fairly commonplace in PMCs.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Early-mid Fallout 4 main quest spoilers (I think anyway, haven't completed the MQ yet):

There is a sequence where you dig through a dead man's memories using a VR machine, one of the memories features your player character. FO4 has a few vendors that let you change your appearance and since I had changed my character's looks since that sequence I was presently surprised that the game remembered what I looked like at the time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think it's probably a case of Bethesda incorporating ideas from mods into the game, there were always a bunch of 'Immersive Followers' mods that do exactly this for their games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

There's some really funny writing in FO4, like running into some raiders talking about a guy they tried to rob. He got away by throwing "grenades" that were just rocks and making machine gun noises with his mouth and then "driving" away on his "motorcycle."

There's a surprising amount of unique 'goon banter' for a number of locations. I don't remember previous Bethesda games having anything beyond generic dialogue for enemies before.

Hell, once an enemy losing interest in looking for me while stealthed kicked of a five-line conversation between her and another raider about one of them being too paranoid.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

razorrozar posted:

You unlock NG+ either way, but it only makes sense if you take the Reset option at least once. The other option is the better ending.

Speaking of Bastion, one of my favorite 'little things' of all time: In the final mission, you get a super-weapon that takes up all your equip slots. Shortly thereafter, you encounter the game's main villain being beaten to death by his allies for leading you to their base, where you gently caress poo poo up. You have the option to drop the superweapon and carry the villain to safety instead. If you take it, you lose the ability to attack at all, and have to walk through a corridor of archers unloading on you... until you get about halfway through, when they realize you're not going to fight back, and stop shooting.

That's not the little thing, though. It's beautiful in itself, but there's one more tiny little touch that's loving heart-rending. When you're almost to the level exit, one of the archers decides to take a pot-shot at you. His own commander cuts him down with one stroke so you can pass in peace and save Zulf.

Bastion is one of the best games ever and the ending is amazing.

That's seriously one of my favourite sequences in a game ever.

Spoilers, obviously: http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7712154

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Power Armour training was probably introduced in Fallout 3 due to the prominence of the Brotherhood and not wanting to let you use endgame armour at the start of the game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think you just press square to toggle it on, it basically makes the shooting like MGS1-3. There's not really any reason to ever use it other than in the chase sequences so you can enjoy the fancy camera angles.

Peace Walker is the first mainline entry in the series that completely ditches the old auto-aim and goes over-the-shoulder only (or MGS5 if yoy don't count PW for some reason).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haven't played Peace Walker in years, forgot it had autoaim. Makes sense with it being a PSP game, I guess.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I haven't played Uncharted 4 yet, but it has one of the best trophies I've ever seen.

You earn the Stage Fright trophy by just not touching the controller for about thirty seconds after a particular cutscene, it's recreating technical difficulties from last year's E3 stage demo when the controller didn't work and they had to restart the demo.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I hadn't seen the Japanese logo yet, that's loving great.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

This pre-rendered cutscene looks amazing at max settings!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wasn't saying anything about you, dude. Thought the title of the video was dumb.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

From reading the Giant Bomb review it sounds like all the 'Mechanical Apartheid' and 'Aug Lives Matter' crap is just marketing bullshit and not actually in the game. Which is a relief.

The game sounds like nothing ground breaking, just a better Human Revolution. I can live with that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Alteisen posted:

So they caved to the whiny crybabies?

I imagine that stuff was never in the game and made up for the marketing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haven't watched that trailer, but I think 'hanzer' was slang for an augmented person in the first game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Apparently this is from MD, but I'm not sure if I buy it.

I guess I could see Sega OKing it, they're pretty self aware these days.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

Only ever had enough money for one property in gta5 (the gay bar) and expected a Vice City style mini-campaign, but all I got was a few texts to chase a thief or make a delivery before the time ran out and :effort: stuff like that.

Are the others the same?

From what I hear, pretty much. Buying property sounds worthless in GTAV

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Blizzard added overt LGBT characters in WoW's latest expansion, the first in any Blizzard game ever. There hasn't been much rage, probably because they're blink-and-you'll-miss-it minor characters.

Star Trek Online had some lesbian Klingons in a mission added last year I think? One of the official forums moderators complained that it was inappropriate for a T rated game and he was re-thinking allowing his kids to play the game, he was fired like a week later.

All it really was in the game was two Klingon ladies mentioning that they were married.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ashsaber posted:

Wait, I didn't play Mass Effect past the first game, but Planet of the Gay Ghetto?

When they introduced same-sex romances to their Star Wars MMO it was all confined to one planet-of-the-gays. No idea if homosexuality has spread across the galaxy since then.

EDIT: On the subject MMO forum moderators and gays, I think there was some controversy pre-release when someone on the forums asked if there would be gay romance options in the game and one of the moderators replied that homosexuality doesn't exist in Star Wars.

Veotax has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Sep 11, 2016

Veotax
May 16, 2006

you may die posted:

Or if a mission has some kind of exploit that lets you complete it quickly because you know the location of something it didn't tell you about on the first go, guaranteed S rank.

Or you could just not not even get out of the helicopter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upW7jRKSDw8

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wintermutant posted:

It's me, I'm the one who really liked Handsome Jack as a villain.

I liked him in Tales from the Borderlands. That game was better than a Borderlands visual novel (is that what you would call the Telltale/David Cage-style game?) had any right to be.

Best game in the Borderlands series, IMO.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

Here you go, then. Yes, Destiny could use more actual exposition in game. However, the most boring thing in the god-damned universe is the Mass Effect Codex, and the Destiny Grimoire is superior in every measurable way.

Then maybe it should actually be in the loving game, not some lovely app or website.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Breath of the Wild's title card is fantastic.

Also this guy has the best superpower

On that note, the Switch's screenshot function is really tight. The button is easy to press and the notification pops up immediately, both problems I have with the PS4's share button.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I love the big twist of MGSV, I just wish it was handled better than "here is literally the last bit of story in the game, be revealed for no reason!"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If you want to make the settlement stuff more enjoyable then I very much recommend the Sim Settlements mod. It's an attempt to make the settlements more like Sim City where you just plop down RCI lots and the game automatically assigns settlers to lots.

It's a bit more complex than I'm making it sound, but I'm finding it making the settlement stuff a lot more fun than it was before (in that I'm actually interacting with the settlements, I ignored them almost completely before this mod).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Echoing the whole 'don't care for Borderlands but Tales From is one of my favourite games'.

It's easily both the best Telltale game and Borderlands game in my opinion.

EDIT: Also episode two has one of my favourite title sequences ever in a game.

Veotax has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Jun 20, 2017

Veotax
May 16, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

To be fair the dlc was free. It was a way to get around nudity by ratings institutions.

Yeah, I think Saboteur was right at the end of the period where having bare breasts in a game meant and instant AO.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Triarii posted:

I recall there was definitely one poster who played with the original UI because he didn't feel comfortable interfering with the developers' vision by installing a mod.

We live in a strange and frightening world.

I remember some guy saying that SkyUI's inventory being an easy to read spreadsheet was "spergy"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I just hit level 30 in Final Fantasy XIV and the game gave me a million gil as a congrats, which was nice.

Then I checked my email after quitting the game and they gave me an additional 15 days on my subscription for free, also as a congrats for hitting level 30. Holy poo poo, that's weird. Awesome, but weird.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

that happened because you're on one of their new/preferred servers to help traffic people more towards those and not so much towards the already super full servers

the fun thing is that you can do that once per account so i just spent a couple hours rolling up a new character on one of those servers and fished to level 30 while listening to podcasts and now i've got 15 free days to spend on my actual character :v:

Neat. I'm only playing on that server because that's where the Euro Goons are.

I'm not sure if I like the XP boost on the server though, I'm skipping every sidequest that doesn't unlock a feature or give be better loot and I'm still about ten levels over what the MSQ wants.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

Any word as to why they did this? Seems weird.

Licences for licenced games only last a certain number of years, Activision probably didn't think it was worth the money to renew the licenses. Weirdly it looks like most or all of their licenses went out around the same time, their Transformers games, their Deadpool game and Platinum's Korra game all disappeared around the same time.

You couldn't really see licenses expire like this before digital distribution became a thing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Xbox One has game pages with a section for player progress which lets developers share tracked stats in games with players, even if they're not something needed for an achievement. The Xbone version of Nier Automata just came out today, the last three things tracked on that pager are great.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Marvel games these days focus on MCU or at least things that Disney owns the movie rights for.

Disney doesn't own movie rights for X-Men or Fantastic Four (at least until the Fox purchase goes through). So there are no references to them in newer games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

In that particular instance it's actually the guy that gives you the fishing rod tells you that you need to go to "that beach over there" to get the fish you need. The beach that he is literally standing next to isn't the right beach but another beach that you reach by back-tracking a little and going through a cave off to the side. The beach that he's standing next to has either no fish whatsoever or only drops junk (I forget which). Although the correct beach is marked on your minimap if you look at it.

It's definitely a troll on the part of Cavia or Yoko Taro.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also a key thing is he actually patrols around and doesn't teleport,if you're on the third floor of the lobby and he's on the first when he sees you he has to take a legitimate path to get to you.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The deluxe version of the Resident Evil 2 remake let you swap-out the new music for the original game's sound track.

The Devil May Cry 5 deluxe edition is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ebUmoM9nA

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There is also a special ending for completing the game as Knuckles & Knuckles

It's like only one slide, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Actually Alexander is super easy to do now that they've introduced a roulette (match-making playlist) for normal raids.

The only raid that needs you to go out of your way to get a group together for is the Bahamut one, as it's not on any roulettes.