Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't quite follow. Why would a you not be able to run that story line because of memory limitations? I mean it would just be exposition in the form of extra words right?

Recruitment was meant to be a lot more freeform which means they would need to consider every possible combination of characters you could have with you on each mission for cutscenes and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a mission where you need to decode morse code. It's not necessarily the intended way to do it, but you can download a morse code app to your phone that listens and translates it live for you if you hold it up to your speakers. It makes the mission even cooler doing it that way.

Unfortunately now that the game has been out a while Googling the clues some of the missions contain just gives you the answer from fan site results.

Ryoshi posted:

Plus, if you get stuck there's an in-game web browser you can use to look up hints and clues, and it doesn't feel too much like cheating. My guy's a ruthless Illuminati agent, it is completely in-character for him to just google stuff on his smartphone when he needs to.

You're supposed to use the browser. Some of them don't contain enough information in game. Things like needing to get passage numbers from the Bible, or dates paintings were created.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also give you way more experience.

The idea was supposed to be that if you played it stealthy you were taking out fewer enemies so the extra experience balanced what you'd get sweeping rooms. But they made it too easy to totally ghost a room while also dropping everyone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

In Sleeping Dogs, if you dismount a motorcycle while driving it and you have a pistol you can shoot the motorcycle to make it instantly explode, which is amazingly impractical but fun to do.

You can do that with cars too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's one of those "Play it again, Sam" things. Will Smith doesn't pronounce it weird in that scene.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not even the same scene.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Destiny has simultaneous kills in multiplayer when you both smack each other dead like Halo did.

A lot of people hate these but I find them hilarious every time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think in Singularity you can just stand there and do nothing and there's a 3rd ending, no?

Or am I thinking of another game?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Praetorian Mage posted:

Because male genital mutilation and the anguish it causes are loving hilarious, right guys?

Correct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chard posted:

jesus that's the first time i've seen gameplay and :stare: that meets my criteria for "brutal"

There's actually a type of kill you can do called Brutalize where you just go loving crazy with a knife on the guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you've played Smash Bros. at all and Kirby's taunt isn't seared into your memory from constant use, you and your buddies haven't been doing it right, sorry.

Even if you're not spamming it because it's funny, it's how you shed powers in the game so you have to use it a bunch.

Except when someone plays Captain Falcon, since you want Falcon Punch 24/7.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

QuietLion posted:

The best thing I remember about Brawling with friends was playing Captain Falcon and learning that if you time it correctly, you can start the wind-up for Falcon Punch and then swap the direction you're facing mid-move. Ganondorf could do it as well, it was the best way to make people quit. :allears:

I also loved Kirby in Melee and Brawl, he's one of those characters that beginners to the game can pick up relatively easily it seems.

According to the loading screen tips on the 3DS, the turnaround Falcon Punch actually does more damage than regular.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why do they always seem to list blood type right along with name and birthday in Japan?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thread titles aren't literal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The reason "PYF thing dragging this game down" had "Shut up about Dark Souls" in the title is because people wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls so I disagree.

You can also still post about Dark Souls in it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

The one thing that I could go for in more games that Assassin's creed actually got right was freaking people out. If you get enough into your murder-spin of taking people out and then the guy next to them eventually during a finisher some of them will panic and try to run away.

I could've really gone for that when I was playing the Batman games and people kept coming at me despite me just breaking a dude's arm.

Also for the love of god please someone anyone take the part out of GOD HAND where if you do a strong enough attack the enemy just goes flying until they slam into a wall. I really want to be able to send people flying like that in more games that aren't just GOD HAND or Viewtiful Joe.

Batman does have that mechanic. They'll never run away, but in predator rooms as you take out guys the ones left will be terrified.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's if you blow it up by force. There's nothing to say the self destruct behaves the same way.

But they retconned it out anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xander77 posted:

The storms in this game look and feel really nice. At one point I was cresting a killer wave with a bunch of enemy ships getting crashed all around me, and could swear a kraken/Cthulhu was about to raise from the deeps any devour everyone involved (that would have been the best easter egg ever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-H8N0ZDfpc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does, but only in the ones that are their own little scene.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Out of curiosity, what does the thread title refer to, shooting guys in the junk in Goldeneye/Soldier of Fortune/Fallout?

Metal Gear actually.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641127&pagenumber=31&perpage=40#post435608147

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

a better question is how can a crippled autist can even become a merchant a run a shop

Steam does alright.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

graybook posted:

I've not played it for even two hours, though, and completion's already telling me i'm at 29%, but less than 20% of the city taken over. Well, I guess I can at least spend a lot of time collecting soul clusters.

Also, the option to play as Kinzie is pretty nice. I'm rolling with her for now.

You can switch in single player, or you mean you're doing co-op?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Johnny didn't die.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of his own volition!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Although it is a little weird your character never finishes them off. He must know the rules by now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

4v1 class based Shooter

Of the 3 defining characteristics, 2 are gimmicks. It is mostly gimmick by volume.

That's science.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the upgrade menu there's 10 upgrades to the car itself and like another 10 weapons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also at one point said they would rather work on DLC than fixing bugs, so that got a lot of people mad obviously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's how power works in Minecraft, are you telling me Minecraft's science isn't accurate?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

Why not just point the lipstick at the door?

Obviously any door worth cutting through is going to be single laser proof.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Throw more meat so a larger predator comes after it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of the Ace Combat games has a mob of enemies change sides at the sight of you.

(Which is good because you wouldn't actually be able to win against that many enemies.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

6 is only on the 360 from back when Microsoft was bribing Japan to make Xbox games, so it probably didn't sell very well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That is amazing and terrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not really solid mechanically though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Hobbit came first though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The story of the MGS series is tremendously bad (and so is the gameplay in most of them), just play the one with the good and fun gameplay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is kind of silly that some camps have insignia you can only reach with the gun, but no ammo in them at all though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The one I did when I made that post actually didn't have any of those either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samfucius posted:

To upload mp3s you just stick em on a flash drive?

I must know.

Custom music is PC only and you just toss them in the install directory in a specific folder.