Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Leave it unlocked so your neighbor can get in if they need to borrow someth... ohhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You should have closed this thread after my first reply. :colbert:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kazvall posted:

You should have closed this thread after my first reply. :colbert:

But by leaving the thread unlocked, his mad neighbour can wander in.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Start having lots of sex in the front room. Next time she lets herself in, ask if she wants to join in.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

spog posted:

But by leaving the thread unlocked, his mad neighbour can wander in.

You got it, pal!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

J Corp posted:

So loving what? What possible reason do you have for not locking your doors?

There are some people I know who don't lock their doors specifically because they like feeling like they live in a place where they don't have to lock their doors. As to why they feel that locking their doors is some kind of hardship, I have no idea.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I don't have to lock my doors but I do, because my neighbours (a teacher if small children and someone who has always been self-employed) have no sense of boundaries.

Maybe there is a moral here

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I've stayed in small towns where people don't lock car or home doors it happens. This is hosed just tell neighbor to not let their weirdo jobless sister to ever come over. Also always lock up.

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

So you've got random construction workers around all the time with all the construction going on, and your young daughters in the house and you don't lock your doors? Father of the year.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

What is this "I know people that live in small towns that don't lock their doors" argument actually supposed to be arguing against? People keep saying it, but how is it relevant to this thread at all? If you're one of those people you probably don't sperg out when a neighbor comes into your house and have to ask the internet what to do.

beejay fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 9, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

beejay posted:

What is this "I know people that live in small towns that don't lock their doors" argument actually supposed to be arguing against? People keep saying it, but how is it relevant to this thread at all? If you're one of those people you probably don't sperg out when a neighbor comes into your house and have to ask the internet what to do.

Well, I don't know about that. I lived in a small town where no one locked their doors, and it was still generally agreed upon that you didn't walk into someone's house without knocking or something. It's stupid not to lock your door, yes, but that still doesn't mean you're inviting people into your home to come and go as they please.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm fascinated by the people emerging in this thread who think this lady you don't know coming into your house to help herself to your things is no big deal, and characterize your response to her as "sperging out". I realize people here may live different lifestyles than I, but seriously, somebody you don't know coming into your house is just no big deal?

SpeshulSnowflake
Jul 30, 2009

the posted:

OP doesn't have his fax straight, none of this adds up.

He doesn't have fax at all, which is Elder Sister's problem.

OP start locking your doors especially when you are far away from them, when you have kids of your own. If you have a screen door you could leave that unlocked as it indicates you are home. Tell them to knock next time as you were pooping or changing or whatever and you'll do the same for them.

If you're feeling awkward you could frame it as "You walked in while I was changing, how about we just knock on each other's doors from now on?"

Extraordinary Perdition
Nov 7, 2007
Is she hot?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So if I wanted to burgle someone, I'd just drive out to some small town where everyone's too oblivious to lock their door and grab their laptop?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

So if I wanted to burgle someone, I'd just drive out to some small town where everyone's too oblivious to lock their door and grab their laptop?

Judging by the crime reports that come across my desk, you'll also want to target tools. Lots and lots of tool seem to be swiped from rural properties.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

Well, I don't know about that. I lived in a small town where no one locked their doors, and it was still generally agreed upon that you didn't walk into someone's house without knocking or something. It's stupid not to lock your door, yes, but that still doesn't mean you're inviting people into your home to come and go as they please.

photomikey posted:

I'm fascinated by the people emerging in this thread who think this lady you don't know coming into your house to help herself to your things is no big deal, and characterize your response to her as "sperging out". I realize people here may live different lifestyles than I, but seriously, somebody you don't know coming into your house is just no big deal?

Nowhere have I (or anyone else that I can see) said that someone coming into your house is "no big deal" or that it is ok to do so uninvited. The inability to deal with the situation without consulting the internet is the sperging.

beejay fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 9, 2014

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Strategic Tea posted:

Possibly, but consider it likely that in such a place, everyone knows everything about everybody else, and will notice any strange vehicles/activity in the area and call the overzealous small town cops, and/or grab their gun and investigate themselves.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

beejay posted:

Possibly, but consider it likely that in such a place, everyone knows everything about everybody else, and will notice any strange vehicles/activity in the area and call the overzealous small town cops, and/or grab their gun and investigate themselves.

Plus, this is an area that still use fax machines, so you aren't going to be scooping up much in the way of hi-tech consumer goods.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

J Corp posted:

So loving what? What possible reason do you have for not locking your doors?

It's almost as if we're dealing with a cultural norm that varies between regions!

There are places where almost everybody thinks like this. It seems dumb, I agree, but I think the internet has been around too long for it to be reasonable to be surprised by it.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
Is there a legitimate reason for not locking your door?
I mean, I live in a great area and could probably never lock my door, but I do it anyway because why the hell not?

Also, then you don't have to confront anyone about it ever, you basically force her to have to knock and wait.

Is this hard?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Stop harping on this guy for not locking his door, you idiots. That's not the root cause of this nor does the OP give a poo poo about his door being locked or unlocked. It's about a stranger thinking it's OK to be on another's property and in his home and how the OP can tell politely that this isn't OK (which was solved at :firstpost:).

HungryGhost posted:

so you can go into their house but they can't?

How can someone be so daft :ughh:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
If you didn't want your personal space violated like that, you shouldn't have left your house unlocked and looking so enter-able :smug:

But seriously. Just go over and tell her it's not alright to do that poo poo. If she then causes issues talk to the neighbors themselves, but directly addressing her is definitely your first bet in this situation.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Would you reach in and grope someone's dick because their fly is open?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What you mean is, would you reach in and grope someone's dick because their fly is closed, but not locked.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

photomikey posted:

What you mean is, would you reach in and grope someone's dick because their fly is closed, but not locked.

I wear one of those chastity belts so my cock is always locked.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

kmcormick9 posted:

For now, I am still debating whether or not to address it with the neighbor.

yes, jesus christ why would you think you cant. he's not going to stop your daughters playing together because someone he's related to is mentally ill. next time you're having a beer go 'yo, this was pretty weird, she let herself in my house the other day, what's up with that' and have a conversation about it.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Is there a legitimate reason for not locking your door?
I mean, I live in a great area and could probably never lock my door, but I do it anyway because why the hell not?

Also, then you don't have to confront anyone about it ever, you basically force her to have to knock and wait.

Is this hard?

Because I was home.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

kmcormick9 posted:

Because I was home.

Yeah this is what I was going to say.

Does every other person here come home and immediately lock the door behind them every time?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Just say something next time you see the father, and don't say it like this: "Do not illegally enter my home."

Explain what happened, that you felt uncomfortable--after all you weren't wearing cloths, and ask if the guy can do his best to be sure that next time nobody walks into your house.

Or if this were in certain parts of my great country--the USA--you can gun down your neighbors the next time they're on your porch while chanting about the constitution and "castle doctrine."

Personally though, I'd go with option 1.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
OP, do you normally have a problem with confrontation? Most people here would have no trouble telling a person they don't know, "Who the gently caress are you and what are you doing in my house?"

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich

Dr_Amazing posted:

Does every other person here come home and immediately lock the door behind them every time?

Yes. Especially after someone knocked on my door, did not get an answer, and proceeded to walk into my apt. When busted they mumbled something about "recycling cans" before making a hasty retreat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yes. More to the point, I have a house with a door that has this handy feature of "locking automatically when closing the door".

crackton
May 9, 2009
OP if you have a good enough relationship with your neighbor, as it seems you do, you should have no problem going over and addressing the problem directly with both him and his sister. Most reasonable people understand boundaries and what is and what is not considered appropriate behavior. Even if the girl was family, walking into your home without an invitation or having informed you prior is seriously not cool. As mentioned before, unless the girl has some developmental disorder she has no excuse for doing what she did and you should've told her so the moment you found her wandering around your house.

Also, unless you were trying to suggest that she's been stealing more than just ink, I dont see why her employment status is relevant.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I kind of understand why he didn't say anything at the time. It is a bizarre situation, and when you are shocked and surprised and the other person is acting like they didn't do anything wrong, sometimes the right words don't come out.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

booby trap all your doors and windows but don't forget that you put in a tripwire over the front door because the loaded shotgun you set to be triggered will blow your head to smithereens.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yes, every time. Sometimes the police come around and let themselves in to your house if you've left your door unlocked just to prove a point. Admittedly the neighbour shouldn't assume an unlocked door means 'come on in' but then if you live in a neighbourhood so blissful you genuinely don't feel a need to lock your door, maybe the norms about letting yourself in to people's homes are different too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Lock your doors all the time. I do it and always will.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

OP, do you normally have a problem with confrontation? Most people here would have no trouble telling a person they don't know, "Who the gently caress are you and what are you doing in my house?"

Same here, if someone were to intrude in my residence I would have no problem saying "hey, what are you doing here? Get out" and talk to them later about it not being cool for them to just invade my privacy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Most places where people don't lock their doors happen to also be areas where gun ownership is around 100%. At least that's the case here in Oregon.

• Locked thread