Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Okay I'm a little bit late and other goons have said this but, uhhh, why the gently caress wouldn't I lock the doors when I'm home? When I'm home is the time I least want people wandering in.

Scenario 1: friendly neighbor walks in while you are not home, sees you are not home, leaves house
Scenario 2: friendly neighbor walks in while you are home, potentially catching you at an awkward time when you are watching TV naked, or otherwise not ready for company
Scenario 3: burglars attempt to get into your house while you are not there, break in and steal stuff
Scenario 4: burglars attempt to get into your house while you are there, have no trouble opening an unlocked door, and have an opportunity to steal your poo poo after knocking you unconcious

Sure, you may live in a safe place where you think 3 and 4 are totally unreasonable, okay. But if I lived in the safest place imaginable I can't imagine not locking the door behind me when I come home from work every single day. It's my house, and I choose who comes in. End of story.

I think you're paranoid as hell, and speaking as someone who designs security systems for a living, also naive. Believe it or not, residential grade locks offer exactly 0 resistance to forced entry. I don't know what kind of burglars you're thinking of that are in too much of a hurry to check if anyone's home but also give up when faced with the fabled and completely impenetrable "locked door", but I've never heard of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Yeah I lock my door because I don't want people loving walking in. Locked doors might not stop a burglar but it will stop my mom from strolling in uninvited. That's enough of a reason.

My mom would probably just knock on the door instead of walking away dejected. People aren't like in the game Lemmings where they blindly walk forward unless there's a locked door in the way. Also, she has a key because we're adults and she respects my privacy enough to call before coming over.

What the gently caress man?

• Locked thread