Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

First she isn't a stranger, the families know each other. Second, her employment status is irrelevant and so is whether or not her stay is temporary because it's not your family. Third, do you have any actual reason to believe she has done this before?

Believe it or not, some people are raised with different boundaries. Some people believe it is ok to open an unlocked door and shout for someone if they want to borrow something. I've dealt with this myself. Don't be a passive aggressive douche. Go over there and tell the sister directly that you are not ok with her walking right in, and if you don't answer it's because you are not home/otherwise unavailable.

Way to be selfish by the way, you borrow their tools but won't let her use your copier? You sound weird and paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

No, you don't bring it up with the goddam neighbor. You bring it up with the sister herself. They aren't her loving guardians, unless she is disabled, in which case you shouldn't be pissed anyway. If you go to the neighbor and not the sister herself all you do is stir up poo poo between them and look passive aggressive.

And for fucks sake I can't believe that in 2014 people still leave their doors unlocked when they aren't home.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Griz posted:

When I was in college, everyone in the off-campus student ghetto would leave their doors unlocked all the time because most of the landlords were too cheap/lazy to give everyone a front door key. Someone walked into my house and stole our TV in broad daylight, and we also had the "Collegetown creeper" who'd let himself in at night to watch women sleeping.

Uh, you can get a key made for less than 5 bucks.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

KillHour posted:

I think you're paranoid as hell, and speaking as someone who designs security systems for a living, also naive. Believe it or not, residential grade locks offer exactly 0 resistance to forced entry. I don't know what kind of burglars you're thinking of that are in too much of a hurry to check if anyone's home but also give up when faced with the fabled and completely impenetrable "locked door", but I've never heard of them.

So just recently in Albany,OR there was a burglar/rapist/murderer whose entire MO was checking for unlocked doors. He would try multiple homes until finding an open one. He killed one woman who was home, and raped/kidnapped another. His spree lasted for quite a while, and he even scaled second floor balconies since people were less likely to lock those doors.

Is this common? No, but it does happen.

• Locked thread