Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
This happened a few minutes ago so I need to do something ASAP.
I live in a new construction neighborhood, and we currently have 1 family living next door. We are neighbors and I borrow tools from the father and our daughters play together so I would like to handle this politely as possible. They have the wife's adult sister living with them right now. When they first moved in, the father implied it was temporary, but it's been a year now and she's still there. She doesn't appear to have a job.
Today, my wife and I were in our bedroom getting ready to go out and we heard a knocking. There is construction happening in the neighborhood so there are a lot of noises, but we went and looked out the upstairs window at the porch and saw noone.
Then we heard another knock and a woman's voice inside the house saying "Hello?".
poo poo.
I run to the bedroom and throw clothes on and run downstairs and the adult sister is standing in our living room(which requires going through several rooms in our house) with an armful of papers. She asks if our fax machine has a copy function. I tell her that we dont have a fax machine or a copier and she kind of stands there looking at me. Then she says she's been all around the neighborhood looking for a copier and I suggested kinko's in the town nearby or the library. She accepted this answer and left. We locked the door behind her.
Now that we think about it, this may not have been the first time she has let herself in and possibly used our copier(which we do have) or other appliances.
We want to address it, but dont know how to do it politely without getting feelings hurt.
Should I text the father(who I talk to regularly) and say something or let it slide or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

HungryGhost posted:

so you can go into their house but they can't?

You are a moron.

Scenty posted:

Way to be selfish by the way, you borrow their tools but won't let her use your copier? You sound weird and paranoid.

Had she rang the doorbell or JUST cracked the door and called out, I would have allowed her to use it. Instead she came in and made herself at home and I wanted her out immediately.
Also, SHE is a stranger. I have never met her and she actually introduced herself to me standing in my living room.

beejay posted:

Haha, what would make you think that she gets into your house all the time? Don't you lock your doors when you're gone? If you think it's happening while you're there, then why didn't she just come in and use the copier this time, why would she knock and call out? I think you might be a paranoid weirdo.

New ink cartridge went to empty in about a month, and my wife and I rarely print things, she was standing in my living room looking at the spot where the copier USED to be while asking about the copier. Plus she was STANDING IN MY LIVING ROOM UNINVITED.
Generally people dont go all in on their first infraction.

This is a relationship that I am trying to preserve with my NEIGHBOR, who I have to live next to indefinitely. Calling the cops and being dick are not ways to maintain relationships.
The doors will now be locked anytime we are home or away, and if it happens again, I am going to tell her to get the gently caress out. For now, I am still debating whether or not to address it with the neighbor.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Is there a legitimate reason for not locking your door?
I mean, I live in a great area and could probably never lock my door, but I do it anyway because why the hell not?

Also, then you don't have to confront anyone about it ever, you basically force her to have to knock and wait.

Is this hard?

Because I was home.

• Locked thread