Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
what the gently caress

will white people never learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

ayurvedic tea is really good, albeit expensive

Chai is okay I guess.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

what the gently caress

will white people never learn?

nope!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Breathing techniques and meditation. The poses are a means to an end rather than the focus.

this is probably why people leave out the bullshit breathing and meditation and just do the stretches

cause they actually do something

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Moola posted:

this is probably why people leave out the bullshit breathing and meditation and just do the stretches

cause they actually do something

meditation is a real thing with tangible benefits, hth.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

this lady has a pancake butt

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GlennFinito posted:

if you're a human being

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

if you're a human being

No, that is one of the side effects.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh, i guess i still have a lot to learn

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

we all do

namaste

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
i will now cross my legs and inhales from taint deeply while humming

my mantra is gay-you can pick your own but be careful

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Robo Reagan posted:

oh, i guess i still have a lot to learn

On being a human being? No, I don't think you do.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Robo Reagan posted:

this lady has a pancake butt

That's no lady pard

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Too bad the british didn't let all the Indians starve to death.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Too bad the british didn't let all the Indians starve to death.

The Indians or the Native Americans?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Corek posted:

all he ever talks about in that book are arabs, india's not even in it. boo
nah

quote:

To speak of Orientalism therefore is to speak mainly, although not exclusively, of a British and French cultural enterprise, a project whose dimensions take in such disparate realms as the imagination itself, the whole of India and the Levant ... a complex array of “Oriental” ideas (Oriental despotism, Oriental splendor, cruelty, sensuality), many Eastern sects, philosophies, and wisdoms domesticated for local European use-the list can be extended more or less indefinitely.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GlennFinito posted:

if you're somewhat crazy or have breathing problems, sure. but just breathing controlled and proper is like 99% of the benefits. it's good to reflect and think, but you can do that without some special meditation pose/dough+oil.

"So if I go into the Ganga, my heart will open?" I asked.
"Absolutely. You have to experience it," she said. "Ganga is the mother, the feminine cosmic energy. Give the river permission to take away anything you don't need."
Girding myself, I slowly wade in. I turn the plastic bag of ashes upside down, pouring the memories into the river and sending them downstream.
My loose clothes cling to my skin as I tread further into the cold after tossing the emptied bag by my shoes on shore. I peer up at the mountains and scan the vast sky. As instructed, I send gratitude and love to my parents, my siblings. I don't really know how to pray, but I think that's what I'm doing.
I breathe in the fresh air, close my eyes, curl into a ball and surrender. The Ganga envelops me as I hold my breath and slip under. The rush of cold water echoes in my ears as I exhale, and everything that is possible begins to take hold.

lol it must own to be a male in india. you get to rape dumb tourist women seeking spiritually both in their orifices and wallet over dumb gimmicky poo poo. and then you get to tell them to go wade into poo poo and splash it in their face and they'll do it

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 8, 2014

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 614 days!

Xaris posted:

"Absolutely. You have to experience it," she said. "Ganga is the mother, the feminine cosmic energy. Give the river permission to take away anything you don't need."
Girding myself, I slowly wade in. I turn the plastic bag of ashes upside down, pouring the memories into the river and sending them downstream.
My loose clothes cling to my skin as I tread further into the cold after tossing the emptied bag by my shoes on shore. I peer up at the mountains and scan the vast sky. As instructed, I send gratitude and love to my parents, my siblings. I don't really know how to pray, but I think that's what I'm doing.
I breathe in the fresh air, close my eyes, curl into a ball and surrender. The Ganga envelops me as I hold my breath and slip under. The rush of cold water echoes in my ears as I exhale, and everything that is possible begins to take hold.

:jerkbag:

Dear loving god, anyone who can write that and not instantly vomit in their own mouth is not a mentally aware human being.

Edit: not to mention she was loving dumb enough to put her head under that loving festering medical waste dump.

Is she going to document her weeks of violent diarrhea, pink eye, and various other poo poo?

Cesar Cedeno fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 8, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

if you're somewhat crazy or have breathing problems, sure. but just breathing controlled and proper is like 99% of the benefits. it's good to reflect and think, but you can do that without some special meditation pose/dough+oil.

lol it must own to be a male in india. you get to rape dumb tourist women seeking spiritually both in their orifices and wallet over dumb gimmicky poo poo. and then you get to tell them to go wade into poo poo and splash it in their face and they'll do it

They probably convinced her that getting different body parts groped and smeared with olive oil was part of the traditional indian healing massage.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 8, 2014

permabanned
Aug 12, 2008

優しい野菜

Go drink some magical cow piss. Said was a mushy leftie who knew nothing and wrote this book to please his Soviet handlers and his Soviet-leaning family. The book itself is full of anti-white racism and generalisations toward most European cultures.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

They probably convinced her that getting that getting different body parts groped and smeared with olive oil was part of the traditional indian healing massage.

sounds like a good time to me. Different cultures and all.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
My sister recently spent several months in India, including a month at an ashram where she did yoga all day every day and said she got certified to be a yoga instructor... which, um, sounds pretty squarely aimed at white tourists, because I somehow doubt that spiritual yogis would be interested in "certifying" American women to teach yoga in the US.

She went to Thailand for a while after that, and she's coming home in a few days. I love her, and I'll be happy to see her again, but holy gently caress I am not looking forward to hearing endless stories of her ~amazing experiences~ and poo poo. She won't be nearly as bad as this article, I think, but still uggghhhh

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

you were warned posted:

She went to Thailand for a while after that, and she's coming home in a few days. I love her, and I'll be happy to see her again, but holy gently caress I am not looking forward to hearing endless stories of her ~amazing experiences~ and poo poo. She won't be nearly as bad as this article, I think, but still uggghhhh
there's so much ancient spirituality here in thailand *avoids eye contact with child sex slaves on street*

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

there's so much ancient spirituality here in thailand *avoids eye contact with child sex slaves on street*

*carefully tiptoes around everything to avoid being imprisoned for lese majestee*

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

a hole-y ghost posted:

I think she basically went to Thailand to look at neat buildings and chill on beaches, which I can totally get behind.

India, though... sigh...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pobama posted:

Is she going to document her weeks of violent diarrhea, pink eye, and various other poo poo?

lol obviously not, meant to be an eat pray rape kind of story. i noticed several points where "i arranged with the guards to visit [x]" which is probably euphemism 'gave them a blow job and $100'.

although to be fair sounds like the whitest white-washed arranged visit ever so she was prolly ok

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Haverchuck posted:

i'm really interested in the philosophy and principles of the ancient art of yoga folks.

You should do a "lets read" on Patanjalis Yoga Sutras

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

you were warned posted:

which I can totally get behind.
yeah okay at least that's not what most white people go to thailand to get behind

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i read that yoga basically exists so monks can sit for hours on end without moving, while worshiping their pagan cow and poo poo god. there's nothing spiritual about yoga, it's just a mechanical exercise for convenience

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

the real problem with india is that as a society it's unwilling to let the feudal/premodern social structure die, both economically and culturally. they give large subsidies to agriculture so their population can continue to be poo poo-bathing, child-raping rednecks living in the sticks

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 614 days!

you were warned posted:

My sister recently spent several months in India, including a month at an ashram where she did yoga all day every day and said she got certified to be a yoga instructor... which, um, sounds pretty squarely aimed at white tourists, because I somehow doubt that spiritual yogis would be interested in "certifying" American women to teach yoga in the US.

lol u poor gently caress this is gonna be all she ever talks about at every gathering forevvvvvver.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

icantfindaname posted:

i read that yoga basically exists so monks can sit for hours on end without moving, while worshiping their pagan cow and poo poo god. there's nothing spiritual about yoga, it's just a mechanical exercise for convenience

I'm just glad it created yoga pants bro

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pobama posted:

lol u poor gently caress this is gonna be all she ever talks about at every gathering forevvvvvver.
well you see how they did it when I was out in india was...

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

the real problem with india is that as a society it's unwilling to let the feudal/premodern social structure die, both economically and culturally. they give large subsidies to agriculture so their population can continue to be poo poo-bathing, child-raping rednecks living in the sticks

lol i wonder who else gives large subsidies to agricultre and has tons of poo poo retards.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pobama posted:

ugh, to be fair this is basically every loving american female women who travels abroad to anywhere.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

a hole-y ghost posted:

well you see how they did it when I was out in india was...

...they just put the corpses right in the river and then have a bath in the river and then drink the bath water!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

you irl posted:

...they just put the corpses right in the river and then have a bath in the river and then drink the bath water!

they brush their teeth using Ganges water too

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Volcott posted:

Chai is okay I guess.

Indian chai is garbage Turkish chai is where its at :colbert:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

you irl posted:

more like
...did you know the ganges is their goddess and they wash and do rituals in her every day? India's such a spiritual place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Yoga is America's #1 cuck trap.

• Locked thread