Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
It's time to start a thread for my non truck related automotive insanity.

So to start off here is my STi , well on it's way to being an all out race car.

Inbetween

Now

Plans are to build the 2.6l and toss it in with full cage and new suspension and the take it to the track for some time attack.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
This is my abarth. It's my dd and has seen some autocross events.

Couple days after I got it

And now lowered, new lights, intake, fmic, lightweight pullies and a bitchin' stereo.

Needs a wash, no clean pics handy

Future plans are for a tune and a full 3in exhaust when I get time to fab it up.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 8, 2014

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
And the latest project, the Exocet.

Picked up the frame from exomotive in Atlanta

Back home on the lift waiting for a donor.

Plans include swapping the 4.8l v8 currently in the truck and adding the twin 6262 and turn up the boost to 1000+hp. I would also like to convert it to a 5x114.3 bolt pattern and put the wheels from the STi on. The rear end will also have to be swapped to something stronger which will be a for 8.8 from the 99-04 cobra.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 8, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

What's the deal with the giant F&F wing?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What's the deal with the giant F&F wing?

Because RACECAR, it's a very much functional aero part. According to the CFD data it makes around 400 lbs of downforce at 100mph.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Donor acquired!

Enter 1992 miata

It's actually pretty nice for a 22yo $1500 car. The exterior is sun faded from being in AZ and along with that comes dry rotted tires and top. The inside however save for the steering wheel cover is very nice, no rips or obvious wear on the seats, no cracks in the dash and everything works, including the AC. I decided to polish the turd real quick to see what I'm working with, and got some pretty surprising results.

The body is straight other than some dents on the hood and looks like they bumped something in a parking lot on the front bumper leaving a small scar on the Mazda lettering and pushed the front plate bracket into the bumper. The paint on the bumpers is also faded down to the white primer in a couple of spots, so they are pretty much done.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 8, 2014

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I found a Miata donor for my Locost project recently for $500 running and driving but the exterior is too nice for me to tear it down to pieces. Had to pass on the deal. :(

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

ultimateforce posted:

I found a Miata donor for my Locost project recently for $500 running and driving but the exterior is too nice for me to tear it down to pieces. Had to pass on the deal. :(

This was the cheapest one that's been on Craigslist around here in the last few months. I would trade it for a shittier 1.8 car.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 8, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The Subaru's number plate is frikking hilarious

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

This was the cheapest one that's been on Craigslist around here in the last few months. I would trade it for a shittier 1.8 car.

I hadn't even thought about trading for a worse once. Interesting.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
I orders some new tires for the fiat so I can drive it at the next autocross. I think it will be nice with a set on star spec zii. Now I am trying to decide if I want to get the wheels powdercoated or just leave them as is before putting the tires on.

In Exocet news I have a pool/miata disassembly party scheduled for Sunday.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Is the soft top any good? I've got a buddy whos looking for a cheap one but we're on the east coast.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Keep living the dream man :hfive:

If you're parting it out I have some requests for random trim pieces, let me know.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Since the forums were down I forgot to post this. I'm about 8hrs into the Exocet build and probably 50% done. I had some friends over last Sunday and got the body off the miata and made the Exocet into a roller.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Rich is trying to convince me to build an Atom instead of a Super 7, but I don't want to buy a frame from someone. :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can you score an Atom frame for less than 15 large?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
4 day weekend starting on Thursday. Expect some new updates.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Holdbrooks posted:

4 day weekend starting on Thursday. Expect some new updates.

Don't loving tell me what to expect. You don't control me. YOU'RE NOT MY MOM.

but yea enjoy the long weekend and excited to see progress on the exocet

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Well yesterday I finally made some more progress on the Exocet. I put the peddles in and managed to snap one if the studs on the cutch peddle to MC so I will have to grind it out and weld on a new bolt. I also got the gas tank out of the miata and snapped off the connector for the pump and gauge. I tried to fit the free seats I got and they were too big to fit and won't work. And to top it off when it started raining I was rushing to get the miata she'll back under the lift and slipped in the wet pushing and probably tore something in my knee. It hurts pretty bad and I can't drive anything but the cop car that is overheating since it is my clutch leg.

Overall a pretty lovely day.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

That sucks man. If you tore a ligament (ACL usually) there will be tons of swelling. Torn meniscus does not swell nearly as bad. But go to the doc and get it looked at.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

That sucks man. If you tore a ligament (ACL usually) there will be tons of swelling. Torn meniscus does not swell nearly as bad. But go to the doc and get it looked at.

This, I tore my meniscus 2 years ago and played a hockey tournament on it that weekend, knee brace for support and a bunch of advil. MAN UP.

(dont take my bad medical advice I'm an idiot)

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

D C posted:

This, I tore my meniscus 2 years ago and played a hockey tournament on it that weekend, knee brace for support and a bunch of advil. MAN UP.

(dont take my bad medical advice I'm an idiot)

Pretty sure this is what's up. Doubt it is an acl since I don't have a ton of swelling, but I'm leaving work in 15 to go get a brace and some old man cream in addition to all the ibuprofen I have been eating today. I have been keeping it elevated and icing it all day also which helps.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I saw my first orange Dodge Ram ever yesterday towing a huge 5th wheel camping trailer. It's a pretty amazing colour for a truck.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I saw my first orange Dodge Ram ever yesterday towing a huge 5th wheel camping trailer. It's a pretty amazing colour for a truck.

That bronze-y metallic orange, or the general Lee orange?

I'd be surprised if it's the former, Alberta is lousy with those. Can't say I've ever seen the latter though, I imagine it would be pretty badass.

Your cars are wonderful holdbrooks, how the hell do you find the time for all of them?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Huh didn't know you had a thread for all your orange things. Get to work on the Exocet and quit breaking yourself.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
Your WRX is sexy as hell.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
had my first day off since the last update and got the exterior and underside of the miata all taken apart. I was hoping to get more done over the last two days but, i went to some meets and helped a friend finish up his E30.

hanging miata to get the underside things removed

Old STi hood fits pretty well in the center and has me thinking about bad things

the free seats are too big, so it looks like I will have to buy real ones now instead of later. no pics of post miata destruction since it was dark.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
oh and I did powdercoat the fiat wheel before getting the tires mounted, here is a lovely pic at the gas station after put them on.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Holdbrooks posted:

Old STi hood fits pretty well in the center and has me thinking about bad things

I... actually kinda like that. :gay:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah the STI hood looks pretty cool on there, couple tweaks and it would be perfect.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The exhaust on the truck is perfect just like that.

e: oops, wrong thread but my point stands

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 25, 2014

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Fart Pipe posted:

The exhaust on the truck is perfect just like that.

e: oops, wrong thread but my point stands

The cops be like aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Skip to 0:50 can't time stamp from my phone.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJXbP3i-4BM

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Holdbrooks posted:

The cops be like aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Skip to 0:50 can't time stamp from my phone.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJXbP3i-4BM

Haha, thats one of those videos that Ill watch every time its posted no matter how many times Ive seen it.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Tow vehicle incoming! Scheduled for production on November 14th. I'm pretty jazzed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

Tow vehicle incoming! Scheduled for production on November 14th. I'm pretty jazzed

Sweet. It is orange right?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Sweet. It is orange right?

Is the sky loving gray?

YES.

I'm colorblind, its gray, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

Is the sky loving gray?

YES.

I'm colorblind, its gray, right?

The sky's purple dude.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You know what you must do: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-american-ariel-atom-is-a-corvette-powered-miata-with-an-exoskeleton-video-88783.html

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Haha, I love that. I only ride with two kinds of people. Asian kids and piece of poo poo white kids.

Also nice sledgehammer work there. You needed to be wearing those cowboy boots though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

I will be doing a twin 6262 ls in mine. It will be the higest hp exocet and ranks 3rd or so on the spread sheet of power to weight that exomotive has put together. Only topped by a couple of race cars in qualifying trim.

• Locked thread