Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

I hope she kills Potato boy instead and we get more candid reaction videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Bobo the Red posted:

They're gonna kill Ygritte and it is the worst :(

If Ygritte dies before Jon fulfills his promise of taking her to Tralalaland to stare at windmills I'm so done with this loving show.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I guess there's a decent chance they're setting up the group behind the wall as the sole surviving wildlings.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

At least they have more than enough minor characters to kill off. Like is anyone gonna give a poo poo at the deaths of Slynt, Thorne, Styr or even Thourmond or Edd?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DoctorStrangelove posted:

At least they have more than enough minor characters to kill off. Like is anyone gonna give a poo poo at the deaths of Slynt, Thorne, Styr or even Thourmond or Edd?

I would be pleased by the deaths of Slynt and Thorne.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

DoctorStrangelove posted:

People would be sad for Edd, but happy if Slynt gets disemboweled by a wildling.

e:f,b

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm already drinking.

So am I, you don't see me making a big deal out of it (in addition, it has nothing to do with GoT). Also, it's still 4 hours and 18 minutes away for me because Shaw Cable sucks all the dicks and doesn't carry the eastern feed of HBO.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
This is probably unrelated but: why did the show start with the white walkers? And in full swing right next to the wall to boot? If there's no satisfactory answer or a spoiler answer, my bad.

Just seems like a random way to open this show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dolorous Edd is a precious treasure

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PT6A posted:

So am I, you don't see me making a big deal out of it (in addition, it has nothing to do with GoT). Also, it's still 4 hours and 18 minutes away for me because Shaw Cable sucks all the dicks and doesn't carry the eastern feed of HBO.

Haha. 2 hours 13 minutes bitch.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Stumpus posted:

This is probably unrelated but: why did the show start with the white walkers? And in full swing right next to the wall to boot? If there's no satisfactory answer or a spoiler answer, my bad.

IMO it's because they are gonna be what ends up being the big thing that EVERY character has to deal with it. By Season 7 I bet there is going to be some sort of Coalition to try and stop the end of the world because White Walkers trump every political squabble

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Im ready motherfuckers

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

marktheando posted:

I would be pleased by the deaths of Slynt and Thorne.

From the trailers so far Thorne seems to have turned on a before-unseen bad-rear end mode. If he goes full Yoren heroic death mode and hacks a dozen Wildlings in the process I'd f'ing love it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

a cop posted:

Im ready motherfuckers

Bitch, please.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PT6A posted:

Bitch, please.

Post your spread or stfu.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013

a cop posted:

Im ready motherfuckers

The Corona ruined whatever good you had going on in there.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Stumpus posted:

The simplest answer is that it's an exciting way to open a show and get people interested, I guess. But more meaningfully, they help put the world in context. By showing the white walkers as real, we know that the Nights Watch has a good reason to exist in the first place and that Jon's desire to join them will result in perhaps more danger than he imagined. Also the runaway being sentenced to death is a pivotal scene. Ned doing the beheading himself and Bran not looking away are key character moments that help define them in a show that has a very large cast and needs moments like that. Plus it sets in motion this idea that despite all the scheming, the plotting and the politics, all of that could be rendered meaningless when a disaster strikes.

Of course, if you're asking how this makes sense plotwise... then it's hard to tell. The white walkers are a huge unknown. My interpretation is that they're incredibly old and patient and are slowly, slowly increasing their ranks of the dead so that they can eventually take the continent (or the entire world?). They've presumably waited hundreds of years already, so being careful and not immediately attacking the wall now is nothing new to them.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I think my two points of issue are:

1. Without seeing where the show will end, it seems odd to start out with crazy zombie killers when the entire rest of the show deals in gritty realism (in a fantasy world).

2. I was under the impression that they are slowly moving themselves South and that is why the wildlings are really moving South as well. But in the very first episode, they're already doing major work seemingly right next to the wall. They're even so bold as to announce themselves to the Night's Watch.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

a cop posted:

Im ready motherfuckers

That brand of guac is AIGHT.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Stumpus posted:

They're in a holding pattern until everybody gets their gearscore up.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
At this point, I'm not sure what's left to make episode 9 The Episode Of The Season(tm), unless the white walkers form some kind of supercritical mass that nukes the Wall and King's Landing (except Tyrion's cell (where Jamie happens to be)). According to my cable guide, it just sounds like an hour of Jon Snow gawking at wildlings.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Stumpus posted:

1. Without seeing where the show will end, it seems odd to start out with crazy zombie killers when the entire rest of the show deals in gritty realism (in a fantasy world).

Winter is Coming.

quote:

2. I was under the impression that they are slowly moving themselves South and that is why the wildlings are really moving South as well. But in the very first episode, they're already doing major work seemingly right next to the wall. They're even so bold as to announce themselves to the Night's Watch.

The programme doesn't make it clear how far they are from the wall.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Myst Hat posted:

At this point, I'm not sure what's left to make episode 9 The Episode Of The Season(tm), unless the white walkers form some kind of supercritical mass that nukes the Wall and King's Landing (except Tyrion's cell (where Jamie happens to be)). According to my cable guide, it just sounds like an hour of Jon Snow gawking at wildlings.

The episode will be alot more enjoyable for people who haven't read the books. So congrats, to the three of you.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The issue with the White Walkers is that A. They aren't zombies (unlike the walking corpses that make up the bulk of their army), but an actual sentient species with their own thoughts and desires, and B. Having a consistent viewpoint among them would ruin their mystery.

Point A implies that there is a reason that they aren't attacking Westeros right away (probably relating to Winter), but Point B also means that it's going to be an infuriatingly long time before the audience knows the specific reasons why it it took so long.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004

a cop posted:

The episode will be alot more enjoyable for people who haven't read the books. So congrats, to the three of you.

So just like every other episode, then? :smug:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Myst Hat posted:

So just like every other episode, then? :smug:

Probably, yeah.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

CPFortest posted:

The issue with the White Walkers is that A. They aren't zombies (unlike the walking corpses that make up the bulk of their army), but an actual sentient species with their own thoughts and desires, and B. Having a consistent viewpoint among them would ruin their mystery.

Point A implies that there is a reason that they aren't attacking Westeros right away (probably relating to Winter), but Point B also means that it's going to be an infuriatingly long time before the audience knows the specific reasons why it it took so long.

So, when Sam pissed himself at the White Walker and his zombies at the end of Season 2, is the presumption that was just just a very small vanguard? Or that Sam, Grenn and Edd just ran away really fast?

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Since they brough Paul Verhoeven back to direct this episode hopefully he brought his own fight choreographer with him. I'd guess the show normally uses at least 3 the way the film in different locations and the one who does the Jon Snow stuff seems like the worst. It seems like the fight scenes in king's landing throughout the whole series are generally much better than the ones that happen anywhere else. Maybe I'm completely wrong and it's all one guy who they fly everywhere though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ProfessorGroove posted:

Since they brough Paul Verhoeven back to direct this episode hopefully he brought his own fight choreographer with him. I'd guess the show normally uses at least 3 the way the film in different locations and the one who does the Jon Snow stuff seems like the worst. It seems like the fight scenes in king's landing throughout the whole series are generally much better than the ones that happen anywhere else. Maybe I'm completely wrong and it's all one guy who they fly everywhere though.

Man, I wish they really did have Paul Verhoeven direct an episode. You mean Neil Marshall.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

marktheando posted:

Man, I wish they really did have Paul Verhoeven direct an episode. You mean Neil Marshall.

Wow I always thought it was Paul Verhoeven who did the blackwater one. I think I need a director's guide.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Whatever happened to Lancel? I think the last time we saw him he got wounded at Blackwater? I wonder if Jamie is going to find out he was boinking his sister/girlfriend

Lancel was inspired by The Hound's rallying cry of "if anyone dies with a clean sword, I'll rape their corpse!" and fought bravely and effectively for about 20 seconds before getting the Skyrim meme wrong by taking an arrow to the bicep.

He retreats into the keep.

Later on, after Cersei has withdrawn Joffrey from the battlements, Lancel enters the room where Cersei is holed up with Sansa and all the other ladies in the castle, and Lancel gets in Cersei's face and second guesses the decision, because their army was defending just fine until people saw their king retreat and lost their morale and now Stannis was kicking their rear end. He implored Cersei to let him lead Joffrey back where their army could see him and be inspired again before it was too late.

Cersei hit him in the arrow wound. He fell to the ground screaming in pain, and fell out of camera-shot [forever].

Mister Perky fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 9, 2014

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Jetfire posted:

So, when Sam pissed himself at the White Walker and his zombies at the end of Season 2, is the presumption that was just just a very small vanguard? Or that Sam, Grenn and Edd just ran away really fast?

Honestly, I would say that it was a small vanguard. I'd assume that the WW's are powerful enough that I don't think they would give a poo poo if some Night's Watch forces survived one of their attacks or even if Westeros was alerted to their possible return.

This is all speculative though, as one of the few arenas where show watchers and book readers are all on the same playing field is the White Walkers, since both the show and the books are keeping that card pretty close to the chest (the show has been more forthright in showing them than the books though).

OP, you can add me to the Book PM list if you want as well. I don't mind answering questions in the thread, but I'd rather at least try to pretend that this is a book free zone.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ballz posted:

Rattleshirt (Edward Dogliani)
The Lord of Bones, a wildling. Last Seen: So that's what he looks like!

Rattleshirt? More like Rattleshit, Lord of Boners. :mmmhmm:

(I am sorry if this joke has been made before).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I hope the episode ends with Rains of Castamere again.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Side off-topic completely non-spoilery book discussion because I'm only halfway thru the first one:

What's the vegas odds on whether 91-year-old WW2 veteran Roy Dotrice, who read the audiobooks for 1-5 (and played Hallyne in the series), will be alive to read for the last two?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

the posted:

Side off-topic completely non-spoilery book discussion because I'm only halfway thru the first one:

What's the vegas odds on whether 91-year-old WW2 veteran Roy Dotrice, who read the audiobooks for 1-5 (and played Hallyne in the series), will be alive to read for the last two?

43:1

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So what are the odds of Thorne doing a 180 and becoming a great military leader and leading a brilliant defense of Castle Black?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Stumpus posted:

GRRM will get us caught up in the political intrigue of the white walker society before writing about their grisly deaths

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

GRRM will get us caught up in the political intrigue of the white walker society before writing about their grisly deaths

Turns out the guy Sam exploded had a sick wife and was only two days from retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

PT6A posted:

Bitch, please.

:):hf::)

I too am ready.

• Locked thread