Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Vehementi posted:

I watched it anyway and aside from 1 character I had kind of forgotten about, all of it is poo poo I expected to get resolved / followed up on this episode anyway. What's the big deal?

That it shows you one thing that you haven't seen in so long that you've forgotten about isn't bad enough?

Generally you'll probably get more enjoyment out of TV shows if you avoid previews and recaps.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Super Ninja Fish posted:

That it shows you one thing that you haven't seen in so long that you've forgotten about isn't bad enough?

Generally you'll probably get more enjoyment out of TV shows if you avoid previews and recaps.

Are you guys talking about 19 seconds into that preview?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Vehementi posted:

I watched it anyway and aside from 1 character I had kind of forgotten about, all of it is poo poo I expected to get resolved / followed up on this episode anyway. What's the big deal?

Some people can get really upset by previews/recap and one especially wasn't subtle at all.

I originally posted it to warn people to not watch the recap if they were one of those people (hence the sirens). In hindsight, including the link was probably a bad idea.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mister Fister posted:

Are you guys talking about 19 seconds into that preview?

All I want to say here is I just think people would enjoy the episode better if they didn't watch the recap. (The Previously On that will air before the episode)

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

All I want to say here is I just think people would enjoy the episode better if they didn't watch the recap. (The Previously On that will air before the episode)

Yeah, as a bookreader, it doesn't outright spoil anything but it super telegraphs all but maybe one of the major plotlines. Talking about it probably makes it worse but since it's out of the bag, best to let everyone know who cares.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
A fairly accurate portrayal of book readers watching GoT with non-book readers!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6974619/watching-game-of-thrones-with-people-who-havent-read-the-books

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I mean, I never watch the previews/recaps so I have no frame of reference why this one is worse than any other ones or whatever. I was curious what it could possibly have been to warrant siren emoticons and pleads to delete posts. Basically a bunch of the poo poo I expected to be addressed in the final episode of this season had recap scenes, plus that one character (that was kinda spoily). If that one character is what people are flipping poo poo about, OK. Just wondering if I missed some critical foreshadowing.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
My internet was really lovely these last few weeks so I was wondering if I had missed something in s04e08 that I would have seen if HBOGO's quality hadn't been run through a shredder: Was it obvious that the Mountain died too or was he clearly alive?

Please no spoilers/hint-wink-poo poo, just tell me if such a thing was visible or if it was just inconclusive.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Roumba posted:

My internet was really lovely these last few weeks so I was wondering if I had missed something in s04e08 that I would have seen if HBOGO's quality hadn't been run through a shredder: Was it obvious that the Mountain died too or was he clearly alive?

Please no spoilers/hint-wink-poo poo, just tell me if such a thing was visible or if it was just inconclusive.

Going by the episode alone I would say it's inconclusive. Even if he's alive he probably isn't doing too well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Roumba posted:

Nothing was made clear.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
gently caress, I wanted some kind of justice for Chilean Liam Neeson/Darth Maul.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Roumba posted:

gently caress, I wanted some kind of justice for Chilean Liam Neeson/Darth Maul.

The thesis of this season has been repeated over and over again in all the trailers by Tyrion. Justice is a rare concept in this series.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Roumba posted:

He was shown getting stabbed full on in the abdomen from a running charge, and does the COUGH UP BLOOD thing immediately after. Dude is dead as gently caress, It just turns out horrible gut wounds don't kill you as fast as getting your brains smashed in.

If the above posters want to call that inconclusive, then they're welcome to do so.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

He was shown getting stabbed full on in the abdomen from a running charge, and does the COUGH UP BLOOD thing immediately after. Dude is dead as gently caress, It just turns out horrible gut wounds don't kill you as fast as getting your brains smashed in.

If the above posters want to call that inconclusive, then they're welcome to do so.

Well, I mean we all die eventually.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

This is the best and most accurate thing CollegeHumor has ever made.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Dude, it's television. Nobody is ever dead unless they are actually dead.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Oddity posted:

Dude, it's television. Nobody is ever dead unless they are actually dead.

Its not television, its HBO. :colbert:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The HBO website apparently states the Viper's spear was poisoned, so yeah, double-down dead.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Red Red Blue posted:

His character's name was Barry, though? :confused:

Nope its Simon

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1551231/?ref_=ttep_ep1

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Whoosh, went the joke over your head

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This GIF is the only portrayal of book readers vs. non book readers you'll ever need

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

The HBO website apparently states the Viper's spear was poisoned, so yeah, double-down dead.

I think something more hosed up will happen like he'll become a vegetable or blind for extreme irony as this is Game of Thrones of course

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Harley C posted:

I think something more hosed up will happen like he'll become a vegetable or blind for extreme irony as this is Game of Thrones of course

We can only hope. Bring more character to one that has been only around a couple of episodes.

Sorry, post in wrong thread at first.

Saveron_01 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 14, 2014

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

You guys are god dammed loving ridiculous with the spoilers. Vague hints and poo poo are just as bad as saying them straight up. Take that poo poo to the spoiler thread or something

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

The Duggler posted:

You guys are god dammed loving ridiculous with the spoilers. Vague hints and poo poo are just as bad as saying them straight up. Take that poo poo to the spoiler thread or something

The HBO website is not the b**k, in fact it should be considered an extension of the show if that's what your tits are rashy about. Doesn't take a rocket scientist anyway, let's see... VIPER, experienced with POISON, several shots of spear fiddling/polishing. All from the context of the episodes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TunaSled posted:

The HBO website is not the b**k, in fact it should be considered an extension of the show if that's what your tits are rashy about. Doesn't take a rocket scientist anyway, let's see... VIPER, experienced with POISON, several shots of spear fiddling/polishing. All from the context of the episodes.

I have a feeling he was referring to this:

Saveron_01 posted:

Sorry, post in wrong thread at first.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The website can spoil the book just as an actor interview, casting video, tumblr/twitter/whatever could. The website is not the show, and what matters is if it can spoil watching the show.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

I have a feeling he was referring to this:

Then my bad. I didn't get here in time to see whatever was edited out (thankfully I suppose).

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

TunaSled posted:

The HBO website is also not the show. I avoid previews because I just want to watch the show. In this thread all I wanted to do is read what people with very keen eyes have noticed about the show. I could go online and find spoilers for the entire series if I wanted.

It wasn't: hey that kid was polishing the Viper's spear, I wonder if he poisoned it?

It was: Hey, look at that guy putting something on Oberyn's spear :wink: :smugdog:

Big difference.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

The Duggler posted:

It wasn't: hey that kid was polishing the Viper's spear, I wonder if he poisoned it?

It was: Hey, look at that guy putting something on Oberyn's spear :wink: :smugdog:

Big difference.

The same kind of poo poo was done here with the Olenna/Sansa necklace thing, so I see your point but the fact is we all should have picked up on that anyway and when someone finally says it out loud it's all "AAHH SPOILER"... we are here to discuss the details, are we not?

PS I am not a book reader but I own them so I look cool to my friends

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

TunaSled posted:

The same kind of poo poo was done here with the Olenna/Sansa necklace thing, so I see your point but the fact is we all should have picked up on that anyway and when someone finally says it out loud it's all "AAHH SPOILER"... we are here to discuss the details, are we not?

PS I am not a book reader but I own them so I look cool to my friends

My problem is basically when people who have knowledge of the books come and decide to confirm any speculation. Let us show watchers just watch the show without trying to coyly hint what is going to happen next.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

The Duggler posted:

My problem is basically when people who have knowledge of the books come and decide to confirm any speculation. Let us show watchers just watch the show without trying to coyly hint what is going to happen next.

Right. Again, I didn't actually see what was spoiled before it was edited so I'm just barking at nothing anyway.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

book reader not portrayed negatively enough

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This GIF is the only portrayal of book readers vs. non book readers you'll ever need

Christ that is perfect, right down to the douche :smug: on the dude.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

So I don't know if this is only funny because it's an inside joke but I was having a discussion with my buddies about how I find Jon Snow boring because he's basically just John Cena and one thing lead to another and this happened

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...Name=snoopsagan

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

That DICK! posted:

book reader not portrayed negatively enough
In the Onion article the book reader is actually much more sinister in his manipulations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Duggler posted:

Are you seriously stating that because the HBO website pointed out the spear was poisoned that's a spoiler? I was more or less laughing because I thought he'd use poison daggers, and was shocked at getting something half-right for once.

Plus the only reason I brought it up is because people were insisting the Mountain could be alive after getting a giant spear slammed through his chest, vomiting up blood, and collapsing immediately after his last act. They say "In TV they're not dead unless you saw a body" and seriously, even if you took the poison fluff out, he is so loving dead.

ED: As to it's importance on future events... it's not as if he's going to be using it anymore so I'd say none. I'd be shocked otherwise.

The Duggler posted:

It was: Hey, look at that guy putting something on Oberyn's spear

Big difference.

And given the guy who uses it is super, mega, ultra dead.. it's literally a non-issue. The only reason it was put on the site in the first place is because it was a neat detail that the show didn't have time to address, or cut the explanation from, but thought it would be a neat bit of backdrop info. I can't help but agree.

Now if this poison spear suddenly makes jack-all difference episodes from now, I guess I'll feel like a tool, but I would say I'm 99.99% positive it will never, ever be seen again except at a prop auction.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 14, 2014

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'm assuming Gendry just lost his paddle and has been stuck at sea for the entire season.

Gendry and Jorah group up to go drink in HotPie's Bar&Bakery for the next 6 seasons talking about cut scenes and bullshitting.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

The Mountain was stabbed in the chest with a huge spear, and still managed to punch a man's teeth out with a single hit and then explode his head with his bare loving hands.

I would not put it past him to survive considering the freak of nature he is. Of course I'm just going by what I saw during the show, good thing this is the show+ thread enhanced edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
The best part of the show catching up to the books won't be the lack of spoilers from book readers, it'll be the lack of whiney faggotry from show watchers.

• Locked thread