Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borsche69
May 8, 2014

limaCAT posted:

Star Roads are the best Mario Kart levels.

this is actually true. all the rainbow roads are by far always the best track except for the n64 version which blows dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Borsche69 posted:

this is actually true. all the rainbow roads are by far always the best track except for the n64 version which blows dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0

Dec 26, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

do people actually want half life 3 at this point or is it just a funny meme

people think they want half life 3

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

do people actually want half life 3 at this point or is it just a funny meme

It is a meme.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Jesus christ....i cant... i just cant even...

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Borsche69 posted:

i liked the revamp in mk8, because not being able to (unintentionally) fall of the track sucks

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I enjoy video games, and I'm excited for future releases.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Mild, tagged spoilers for one of last years "big" games (The Last of Us) follows.

From the impressions, it seems like Far Cry 4's villain might be gay. Horribly stereotypical judgement, but he dresses, looks and sounds like a gay stereotype. And that worries me.

As a member of the LGBT community myself, I long for better diversity and representation in today's games. Outside of games that let you choose your sexuality, there are very few - if any - examples of well written, likeable LGBT characters. Barring The Last of Us - and I applaud Druckmann for that. Yet, at the moment, LGBT characters are met with a lot of hostility. When it was revealed during the Left Behind DLC that Ellie was not straight, there was a lot of internet backlash, with many saying that they felt that they had been tricked, or that it somehow worsened Ellie as a character. Obviously there was also a lot of positivity, which was great, but it was soured by the fact that there was so much negativity too.

When a character in Dragon Age II, who was male, would come onto your male character, many players complained that homosexuality was being "shoved down their throats" and that the unwanted attention made them "uncomfortable". All they had to do to stop his advances was say that they weren't interested, and that was it. Female characters would also come onto your character - to no issue. Yet the unwanted male attention led into enough of an issue on the internet that Bioware and EA had to address it, and thankfully they stuck to their ideals on representation and diversity. Every single article any gaming news site runs on LGBT representation in video games will be met with either homophobic remarks or "aggressive apathy" (i.e. I don't care about a character's sexuality, stop trying to talk to me about it - unless they're straight, because that fits the story).

Obviously, as a member of the LGBT community myself, it makes me incredibly sad and uncomfortable to read the horrible reactions people have to such things. Which is why I'm worried about Far Cry 4. If the antagonist of Far Cry 4 is gay, I'm concerned that the "average gamer" - the target audience for FC4 - will just view the antagonist's sexuality as another reason to hate him. I don't think this is a great position to place a gay character, when even LGBT characters portrayed as "likeable" (i.e. protagonists or companions) are already met with a poo poo-ton of hostility. Hell, even in Watch Dogs, where the NPCs are just mindless polygons that wander about, there were videos and reports of people seeking out and killing minorities just for the hell of it. So I think that putting a gay character in a role where they are supposed to be hated anyway is a bad idea.

Now this seems to run counter to my desire for better representation and diversity in AAA games. However, I just don't think that the wide gaming community will accept an LGBT villain if they won't accept LGBT protagonists or companions. I don't think it'll be like Skyfall, where an LGBT villain was accepted and regarded generally as a "good" villain, because the film industry has been around a lot longer than the gaming industry and as such has a much wider, much more diverse audience. Films are already well established as an artistic medium. The gaming industry meanwhile features a large percentage of younger boys/men and is not viewed by the general public as an artistic medium. Therefore it's harder for stuff like an LGBT villain to fly.

To give an example, if you were watching a film from the 50s, and all of the "good guys" were white men and women, but the villain was a stereotypical black man, would you consider that racism? If you would, then by the same logic, if you're playing a game in 2014 and all of the "good guys" are straight men and women but the villain is a stereotypical gay man, then it should be considered homophobia. And judging by Far Cry 3, which had some of the most stereotypical characters and elements in recent years, I doubt Far Cry 4's characters would be written with the subtlety and care seen in the likes of the Last of Us.

I would love to be proven wrong, but from here it looks like the villain is going to be a stereotype of a gay man. Into fashion and pink, dyes his hair blonde, is flamboyant etc. And that worries me, because instead of fleshing him out as a realistic character, I feel like it will become another reason for the "average gamer" to hate him. If he is gay, I can already bet that there will be a sequence where he uses his sexuality to make the player uncomfortable - which would never happen if the villain was straight. I feel like we need better diversity and representation in games but I think we need to start by having LGBT characters in likeable, or playable roles. That way the audience will get accustomed to them and start viewing that as less of a label and more of just a small facet of their personality, so that when a villain is gay they can be treated with the care and reception that a straight one would get.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Everyone should feel good about themselves for posting on this terrific forum, especially Borsche who probably needs the morale boost more than any of us.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

i just think its funny he picked hl1 and hl2 as some kind of holy grail instead of idk deus ex or stalker or system shock or civ4

Those games are also real bad.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Oh poo poo, I have been trolled by mods or IKs. Well played! :v:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Something specific to these forums that (I think?) seems to be popular, saying fart all the time? I've only just noticed it in the past year, and don't really get it. I mean I know this site is dumb, but that just sounds... I don't know, dumber somehow.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

no wait I don't actually like anime half my posts just say gently caress anime. mods have done me a great injustice

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

I don't want my internet bffs to think im a nerd :(

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have 108 Wii games.

Paid under 5 bucks for most of them and I've got all the worthwhile games for the system except that one Kirby Return to Dreamland game

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i own a vita

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

welp laid

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I actually like video games

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

SeXReX posted:

I actually like video games

:ralp:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I have positive memories of Runescape.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

lol

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Gamer confession : i have erotic dreams about the Quake 1 rocket launcher .... yeah ha ha sorry to make things awkward

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Ugh what is wrong with you guys

It's all about UT's sexy-rear end flak cannon :pervert:

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
ddrd is a good forum

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

YourHeadaSplode414 posted:

ddrd is a good forum

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

the sexiest firearms in games are the stake gun in painkiller and the bayonet rifle in necrovision

good poo poo

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

YourHeadaSplode414 posted:

ddrd is a good forum

just funny loving people making funny loving posts... about video games :cheers:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I think that invisible snipers and enemies that heal other enemies are the best kind of mobs in mmorpgs.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i really liked the gex 3d platformers when i was 12-13 years old as well as the concept of a one-liner-cracking gecko

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Y-Hat posted:

i really liked the gex 3d platformers when i was 12-13 years old as well as the concept of a one-liner-cracking gecko

i still do

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Scyther posted:

just funny loving people making funny loving posts... about video games :cheers:

funny posts and good games ... wahts' not to love :)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

The secret agent game was too risky and he lives out the rest of his days as an insurance spokesman

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm gay

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i had a crush on the protagonist from silent hill 3 when i was 13

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i don't like it when my pikmin die, it makes me sad

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I wish online gamers still talked in 1337speak

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I can't remember the last time I saw some bullshit like "t3h 3vil K1tt3h just pwn3d j00!!!!1!" pop up on a chat feed and that actually makes me kind of sad

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I can't remember the last time I saw some bullshit like "t3h 3vil K1tt3h just pwn3d j00!!!!1!" pop up on a chat feed and that actually makes me kind of sad

what the point of txt spek when it's sloweir and more annoying than just hiting whatev butson you can

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

one time I played some jrpg for 40 hours straight and I could hear the battle music after I turned the game off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm not actually gay

• Locked thread