Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

"More lies!" [stares blank faced with half smile despite being sad/angry/betrayed]

Bad acting is an artform. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I guess tonight is the season finale. Anyone think an exploding plane full of side characters is in the cards?! Goodbye family and inconsequential sister, hello Bassam and Jamal locked in a death struggle for both a country and Jamal's smoking hot wife.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Why do I get the feeling the daughter and the aunt are going to gently caress Barry's coup up spectacularly?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Isn't there a security team following Barry's daughter? How the gently caress did people manage to walk away with their phones (e: and apparently their wallets)?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
That's it? Are you loving kidding me?

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Gonna be a really dark ending when this show (probably) gets cancelled.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Boy. That sure was an ending. My only regret is that the family lived. Well, that and the time spent watching this. Totally called the double cross.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Well, you done hosed up now, Barry!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Well, gently caress.

gently caress.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Kinda hoping this doesn't get renewed purely because that'd be the worst/best cliffhanger ending of all time.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Kinda hoping this doesn't get renewed purely because that'd be the worst/best cliffhanger ending of all time.

They could do a quick webisode of Jamaal walking into prison, shooting Barry in the head, and then walking out.

Cut to:

Tyrant

Edit: Oh, and all the articles I read about the show made Barry out to be Michael Corleone. He seems more like Fredo.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 27, 2014

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
#TeamJamal 4 life!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Dead Snoopy posted:

#TeamJamal 4 life!

Jamal is no dummy. You don't get to be the Tyrant™ by being a dummy.

Bassam and his whole family should be the first up against the wall in a potential Tyrant™ Season 2: Rise of Tyranny.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

That was dumb. "Emma, let's run!" lololol

Why the gently caress didn't Barry the Emotionless take Jamal's lead on the boat and be like, "oooh you don't wanna be pres huh? maybe you should think about resigning." Let's not try to avoid the super dangerous coup or anything when the one out is waved in your face.

So sad the family didn't die.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Haven't seen the finale yet, but damnit if there wasn't so much potential for Jamal's character in talking about wishing he could walk away from being President and live a happy life.

They should've had a scene where Jamal invited the Sheik's son to a talk and basically did a "You want to run the country? Here is why it has made me miserable, I'm going to take my family on a vacation to the Maldeeves and leave orders behind for my people to follow your leadership. See how long you run things before you beg me to take this job back." and end the show with Bassam sitting there with that stupid dead stare on his face.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Is it really much of a cliffhanger if most viewers want Bassam to die?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Can someone sum up the finale in bullet points? I don't feel like watching it but am curious

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

Can someone sum up the finale in bullet points? I don't feel like watching it but am curious

-The US state department decides to not move forward with the coup.

-Bassam nails his wife and decides to move ahead with it anyways by blackmailing the US ambassador.

-Jamal and Bassam go fishing and Jamal comes right out and says he doesn't want to be president and Bassam stares blankly at him.

-Bassams daughter and his sister in law go shopping and miss the plane out. Molly decides she won't take the plane even though her daughter and sister are found and safe while she is sitting with her son at the airport ready to board.

-Jamal flips the switch on Bassam and has him arrested because he found out about the coup from his daughter in laws father. Tells him he would have given him the presidency if he had just asked for it.

-Last scene is him saying he is going to order Bassam to be executed for treason.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 27, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Solice Kirsk posted:

-Bassam nails his wife and decides to move ahead with it anyways by blackmailing the US ambassador.

-Jamal and Bassam go fishing and Jamal comes right out and says he doesn't want to be president and Bassam stares blankly at him.

-Bassams daughter and his sister in law go shopping and miss the plane out. Molly decides she won't take the plane even though her daughter and sister are found and safe while she is sitting with her son at the airport ready to board.

-Jamal flips the switch on Bassam and has him arrested because he found out about the coup from his daughter in laws father. Tells him he would have given him the presidency if he had just asked for it.

-Last scene is him saying he is going to order Bassam to be executed for treason.

Hahaha.

Bassam is the dumbest fucker on the planet (which is no surprise, given the rest of his American family).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He and his wife may be the most wooden actors I have ever seen in any capacity outside of daytime soaps. Just totally uninteresting characters. Poorly written, acted, and cast. This show had the potential be interesting and exciting and yet this is what we got.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

:lol: Bassam and his entire family are so stupid and irritating, it's the ending they all deserve imo. I like Jamal and his wife's actors and wish they could have been in a better written show. What a waste.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Noirex posted:

:lol: Bassam and his entire family are so stupid and irritating, it's the ending they all deserve imo. I like Jamal and his wife's actors and wish they could have been in a better written show. What a waste.

The show should've been the father anointing Bassam as the President, and Jamal and his wife scheming to overthrow Bassam, culminating in Jamal murdering Bassam, his wife, and their kids.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

hahaha thanks for saving me from watching this.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

They could do a quick webisode of Jamaal walking into prison, shooting Barry in the head, and then walking out.

Cut to:

Tyrant

The show should have been a miniseries and that's how the last episode should have ended.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gret posted:

The show should've been the father anointing Bassam as the President, and Jamal and his wife scheming to overthrow Bassam, culminating in Jamal murdering Bassam, his wife, and their kids.

I had assumed in the first episode that the father told Jamal that Bassam should be president and Jamal killed him while in the hospital room to make sure he remained President.

I agree though Bassam being the reluctant President from the beginning having to fight off his own insane brother, uncle, placate dissidents, fulfill his own desires to be all nice and democratic etc would have been a lot better. Also a different actor for Bassam.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Also a different actor for Bassam.

JEAN RENO.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

They even look like brothers.

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003

Gonz posted:

They even look like brothers.

They do look like brothers, but Barry is supposed to be the younger one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

luvs2Bgraded posted:

They do look like brothers, but Barry is supposed to be the younger one.

The roles being switched could've also worked.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

gret posted:

Is it really much of a cliffhanger if most viewers want Bassam to die?
No. They didn't make a very compelling case!

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
If this show is renewed, the writers, directors and actors better all get on the same page as far as who the hero of this story is. What a mess. You can almost hear the writers cheering on Bassam, while literally everyone else is on #TeamJamal, including the audience.

No way that's getting renewed. What a shame.

And the Emmy for show most successful at making a rapist, murderous dictator exceptionally sympathetic to a mass audience is....

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Can someone GIF Bassam's reaction when he realized that Tariq just walked up? TIA

EDIT: It is literally the only moment when you get a somewhat genuine-looking reaction out of that actor's cardboard face.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Wade Wilson posted:

Can someone GIF Bassam's reaction when he realized that Tariq just walked up? TIA

EDIT: It is literally the only moment when you get a somewhat genuine-looking reaction out of that actor's cardboard face.

Maybe the writers realized that everyone is rooting for Jamaal and decided to kill off Bassam by having the coup failed and never told the actor.

:allears:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
is the season finished yet and did it get better? i stopped watching this weeks ago

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jamal and his sexy as gently caress wife got way better, everyone else was dragged along kicking and screaming.

Recast her as Wonder Woman STAT

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Maybe the writers realized that everyone is rooting for Jamaal and decided to kill off Bassam by having the coup failed and never told the actor.

:allears:

I want an entire season of Jamal doing heinous dictator poo poo. Rigging elections. Spying on the US embassy, trying to get his hands on Bassam's family. Sport fishing with naked girls and blasting David Lee Roth.

#TeamJamal

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rocksicles posted:

Recast her as Wonder Woman STAT

This would actually be pretty good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

I want an entire season of Jamal doing heinous dictator poo poo. Rigging elections. Spying on the US embassy, trying to get his hands on Bassam's family. Sport fishing with naked girls and blasting David Lee Roth.

#TeamJamal

What? Actually doing tyrannical things in a show entitled Tyrant?!?! Get your head out of the clouds!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Seriously, thanks for this. I'm like five episodes behind and I've been debating catching up, but now I know I can pretty safely forget this show ever existed. This has to be one of the best examples of a wasted premise in TV history.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
okay i caught up and im impressed b/c jamal is finally turning into the tyrant i knew he could be

i just hope he doesn't bitch out and let bassam live

e: calling Jenna, or w/e Barry's sister-in-law is named, hooking up w/ Jamal next season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The most unrealistic thing about this show is the US backing out of a coup in the middle east that would install basically an American as their new leader.

• Locked thread