Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Do SPWs level naturally, or only with reports?

They do, but last I was aware they're pretty much given the lowest priority on the tree and will generally only gain research when there is absolutely nothing else that can be researched.

You also have to be at a certain rank before they even start doing so, so once you reach that rank you'll have every special weapon any of your planes currently have access to all vying for research progress all at once. It's a good idea to not actually upgrade any of them until they're all finished researching that first upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

If anyone is wondering about the Su-47 "Gault" skin series of challenges, I'm up to the last one. Wildly varying levels of difficulty, and the "X points with Y SP weapon" challenges can take a few sorties to complete. These unlock in order:

1. Sortie in the Su-25TM and destroy 30 targets (rewards 2x parts research reports, 10000 credits)

2. Use the UGB to destroy 6 targets in a single mission (rewards 20000 credits)

3. Use the LASM to obtain a score of 40000 (rewards 2x aircraft research reports, 25000 credits)

4. Sortie in the Su-24MP and use regular missiles to destroy 60 targets. Can't use SP aircraft variants. (rewards Additional Plant investment contract, 25000 credits)

5. Use the HPAA to destroy 4 targets in a single mission (rewards 3x aircraft research reports) Yay!

6. Sortie in an ATTACKER and use 4AGMs to obtain a score of 80000 (rewards Elite Merc Contract, 3x aircraft research reports)

7. Sortie in Area B7R using the Su-47 and obtain a score of 120000. (rewards the Su-47 "Gault skin)

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 3, 2015

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

The event for the Scarface XFA-27 is here at last, and guess what? It's a Top 200 Plane, just as expected. Also, the event is another two week Ranking Event. The Event will start at 9 PM Pacific on April 7th and end at 1 AM Pacific on April 20th. The main prizes are a new Scarface Emblem, the Su-47 Event Skin #02, and the XFA-27 of course.

XFA-27 -Scarface1-
850 Cost Multirole
Statistics: B/B/B/B+/C+/D+
Parts Slots: 37/37/37
GUN/MSL Ammo: 520/138
SP.W Loadout: QAAM/SOD/MSTM

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I was ostensibly interested in this event, just to have a plane to go with my Phoenix emblem from the first ranking event, but no way, no loving way, not a two week, top 1000 event. That's insanity.

Also I need to save up for the level 15 SP plane cap boost. The cost of that is gonna be insane.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

"Russian Shark" event info is out. Naval Fleet TDM, from 2100 on the 21st to 0059 on the 30th (Pacific/LA time)

T-50 -Akula- for the top 1000 players.

For those that didn't catch the stats on this thing on the last page, its an 800 Cst Fighter.
Speed: A
Mobility: B
Stability: D+
Air DMG: B+
ground DMG: D
Defense: E+

Parts cells are 28 body, 26 arms, 27 misc. SP weapons options are 4AAMs, QAAMs, and MPBMs.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

That looks good actually. And not that bad on the fuel since it is for the top 1000.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

There's currently a 7 challenge series for a Non-standard Upgrade Request Form (the form that lets you upgrade a plane from lv5 to lv6 for zero credits) and since I'm a whore for these things, here are all the steps:

1) Sortie in a fighter and obtain a personal score of 180000. Rewards SP Weapon reports x3.

2) Use the 4AGM special weapon and obtain a personal score of 60000. Rewards 20000 credits.

3) Sortie in online co-op in the F/A-18F aircraft and obtain an S rank 8 times. Special aircraft can be used. Rewards Parts report x3.

4) Use the HVAA to destroy 35 targets. Rewards Stocked Fuel x1.

5) Sortie in the Alps Air Corridor mission using the FAEB and obtain a personal score of 100000. Rewards 30000 credits.

6) Use the QAAM to destroy 100 targets. Rewards Aircraft report x3.

7) Sortie in the Area B7R Dogfight Battle mission using a fighter aircraft and obtain a S rank 10 times. Rewards Nonstandard Upgrade Request Form (Aircraft Lv.5 > Lv.6)

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

<<I don't care if it's a lie. Just tell them Mobius 1 is already here!>>

It's finally here. To start off Year 2 of Infinity, the long awaited Mobius 1 Event will begin a few days after Maintenance ends, on May 18th at 9 PM Pacific time. It will go until 1 AM Pacific on June 1st.

Prizes will include the F-22A -Mobius1-, Su-37 -Jean Louis-, the Mobius and ISAF Emblems...as well as the Special Aircraft Lv. Cap Increase Request Form and any Nicknames.

Get your asses wallets ready, because the whales and clubbers will be coming out in full force. Expect the full details either later today, or after Maintenance. More than likely after Maintenance.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I hope the teaser at the end of the mission 8 is not referring to this, and there will be more missions coming up related to Mobius 1 in some form.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd poo poo bricks to have a Jean Louis plane, but I'm nowhere near good enough to sniff rankings that high

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I'd poo poo bricks to have a Jean Louis plane, but I'm nowhere near good enough to sniff rankings that high

Jean Louis is top 3000, so that should not be too hard if you have some fuel stocked up. Still, the long duration of the event is a little worrying since there will likely be a lot of people aiming for M1.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Here's what seems to be the complete Prize listing, as well as Ranks for each.

F-22A -Mobius1-: Top 300
Su-37 -Jean Louis-: Top 3000

Mobius Emblem (AC04 MVP Music): Top 1000
ISAF Emblem: Top 5000

Special Aircraft Lv. Cap Increase Request Form: Top 1000 get one. Top 20 get three.

Nicknames (Translated from Japanese, may be different):

Top 20: Heroes Really Do Exist
Top 100: Mobius 1
Top 300: Grim Reaper Ribbon
Rank 301-1000: Ribbon Insignia
Top 1000: Mobius
Top 10000: Mobius Squadron
"Everyone" (Top 100,000): ISAF

Lucky Numbers:

F-22A -Mobius1-: 310, 320, 330, 340, 350, 360, 370, 380, 390, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 5000, 7650, 10000

Mobius Emblem: 1118, 2118, 3118, 4118, 5118, 6118, 7118, 8118, 9110, 10118

There are also some rumors and confirmations of what's coming Post-Maintenance. Rumors include:

- Adriatic Sea Landing Operation Co-Op Mission, based off Operation: Bunker Shot
- New Special Challenges for Wizard (F-16XL) and Sorcerer (S/MTD) Skins
- Moby Dick, Stonehenge and SOLG I/II/III will all be available

And confirmations (via Project ACES' Twitter) include:

- The ability to look at a plane's skins without making an Aircraft Set for the plane
- If a lobby's settings are changed, everyone instantly cancels "Ready to Sortie"
- Proper 4 and 6 Player Rooms can now be made. WITH NO BOTS.
- Rental Sets for Online Co-Op Missions and TDM can be hidden
- A new Aircraft Set Filter sorting by the order sets were last used in

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Volfogg posted:

Here's what seems to be the complete Prize listing, as well as Ranks for each.

F-22A -Mobius1-: Top 300
Su-37 -Jean Louis-: Top 3000

Mobius Emblem (AC04 MVP Music): Top 1000
ISAF Emblem: Top 5000

Special Aircraft Lv. Cap Increase Request Form: Top 1000 get one. Top 20 get three.

I'm slightly worried that the Lv.cap upgrade doesn't specifically say it's for Lv.10 to 11. I'm sure the Mobius F-22 will have obscene stats to begin with, and will be the target of a lot of those upgrades... The idea that there might be some Lv.13 Mobius F-22s is just crazy.

Volfogg posted:

And confirmations (via Project ACES' Twitter) include:

- The ability to look at a plane's skins without making an Aircraft Set for the plane
- If a lobby's settings are changed, everyone instantly cancels "Ready to Sortie"
- Proper 4 and 6 Player Rooms can now be made. WITH NO BOTS.
- Rental Sets for Online Co-Op Missions and TDM can be hidden
- A new Aircraft Set Filter sorting by the order sets were last used in

I always thought it was strange that owned skins weren't included on a sub-page of the items list or something. The auto-cancel for when the host changes something is a much needed change, and no-bot rooms are a very welcome addition.

And I'm going to be away from my playstation for a good portion of this event :(

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hobo on Fire posted:

I'm slightly worried that the Lv.cap upgrade doesn't specifically say it's for Lv.10 to 11. I'm sure the Mobius F-22 will have obscene stats to begin with, and will be the target of a lot of those upgrades... The idea that there might be some Lv.13 Mobius F-22s is just crazy.

I'm pretty sure it's just something you use on a plane to allow you to level it all the way up to 15. Nonstandard upgrade 2.0, so to speak.

Boy am I glad I have a good chunk of fuel saved up, even if I haven't been playing much. I need to hit top 1000 to get my Ridgebacks to level 15 ASAP.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just something you use on a plane to allow you to level it all the way up to 15. Nonstandard upgrade 2.0, so to speak.

I suppose that makes more sense within the games existing framework, but from a balance point of view it's horrible. I really wish Namco would add an incentive to keep using the lower tier aircraft instead of herding everyone toward nothing but the highest of the high end. Maybe add a MISC part that sets the cell count for BODY and ARMS to 25 or 30... a drastic improvement for entry level aircraft so they can remain competitive, but completely useless for the high tier planes.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Every time I see new posts in this thread, I hold the smallest amount of hope for an announcement of a PC release. ALAS!

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Patch Notes posted:

Update Details

Added the "Adriatic Sea Landing Operation" mission to Online Co-Op Missions.
Added new challenges to Challenges Mode.
Added some new aircraft, parts, emblems and other items.
Added the "Special Aircraft Lv. Cap Increase Request Form," an item which increases the level cap on special aircraft.
Added a new function that allows an aircraft's parts capacity to be increased by repeatedly flying sorties in that aircraft.
Added "4 Players (No BOTs)" and "6 Players (No BOTs)" to choices for number of players in Online Co-Op Missions.
Added a function that allows you to view the skins that you own regardless of whether or not you own the related aircraft.
Added a function that allows the targeting for the focus mode for certain weapons to be switched to the point of impact circle.
The supported weapons are UGB, MUGB, FAEB and SFFS.
Added the filter "Sort by Last Used Aircraft" to the Aircraft Set Selection Screen when flying a sortie.
Added a function that allows the display of the rental sets in Online Co-Op Missions and Team Deathmatch to be turned off.
After acquiring all Sign In Bonuses, you will receive a complete bonus every day until the current period ends.
Adjusted the layout of the Change Emblem screen.
Also added a function that allows you to listen to the music effects provided by emblems that you own, once set conditions have been fulfilled.
Adjusted the parameters for certain special weapons.
Increased the level cap for the following aircraft.

From Lv.10 to Lv.15.

ATD-0
X-02 WYVERN [1]
ADF-01 FALKEN
ADFX-01 Morgan
R-101 Delphinus #1
XFA-27
All special aircraft

Note: "Special Aircraft Lv. Cap Increase Request Forms" are required in order to increase the level cap on special aircraft.

From Lv.15 to Lv.20.

F-4E Phantom II
F-4G Phantom II Wild Weasel
F-16C Fighting Falcon
MiG-21bis
AV-8B Harrier II plus
Mirage 2000-5
Su-25TM Frogfoot
F-14A Tomcat
Su-24MP Fencer
MiG-29A Fulcrum
Gripen C
F-16F Fighting Falcon
F-2A
F-15C Eagle
Su-24M Fencer-D
F-14D Super Tomcat
F-5E Tiger?
F-20A Tigershark

Change implemented so that if the host changes room settings after you have selected ready to sortie, your ready status will be automatically canceled.

For people playing the game for the first time, adjustments have been made to the rewards that are received upon clearing the tutorial challenges.

Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue in which a reduction in the number of players a room would sometimes result in uneven player distribution on teams.
Fixed an issue with the radar map which caused it to occasionally display incorrect information.
Fixed other minor issues.

So, the cap increase letting it go up to 15 was correct. I'm curious how much effect the Lv.16 - 20 ranks will improve performance on those planes.

New aircraft are the MiG-31B, the XFA-33 Fenrir and the X-49 Night Raven . The Foxhound is a branched off the MiG-29, and starts with a B speed rank. The Fenrir comes with a new SP weapon, similar to the MPBM, and the Night Raven has a base cost of 850 (the R-101 and XFA-27 are 825) so I'm guessing it'll tie or even top the charts for purchase price. We've also gotten "M" versions of the improved missile homing and destructive capabilites parts, along with "L" airbrakes.

They've added a functionality to increase the number of parts cells on an aircraft simply by using it... it uses a point system similar to rank leveling. Previous points don't get grandfathered in, though there is some kind of modifier active (not sure if its sorties flown, aircraft rank/cost or something else) since my strike eagle wants another 4500 points while almost everything else is asking for somewhere between one and two thousand.

The new challenges include a bunch of skins, as well as a challenge series that will end with a Lv. Cap increase form, so you won't have to break into the top 1000 of the Mobius event to get one.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 14, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hobo on Fire posted:

The new challenges include a bunch of skins, as well as a challenge series that will end with a Lv. Cap increase form, so you won't have to break into the top 1000 of the Mobius event to get one.

This is the best thing possible. The first mission is sortie five times in Tokyo and get an A rank or above. The second is the same for Aerospace. Since there's ten co-op missions and the challenge says there's a total of ten necessary, I can see where this is going.

Still, saves me from having to aim for top 1000. Between the Ridgebacks and now the MiG-31, I suddenly have a lot of stuff to level.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Blattdorf posted:

Every time I see new posts in this thread, I hold the smallest amount of hope for an announcement of a PC release. ALAS!
I hope for a new set of campaign missions. :smith:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

The Mobius 1 Event is finally over, with record participation and Ranking Point requirements for high ranks, as expected.

Top 10k: 63942 Points
Top 5k: Just over 96524 Points
Jean Louis/Top 3k: 135231 Points
Mobius Emblem/ Top 1k: 319791 Points
F-22A -Mobius1-/Top 300: :siren:836920 Points:siren:
Mobius 1 Nickname/Top 100: :ducksiren:1020337 Points:ducksiren:
Heroes Whales Really Do Exist/Top 20: :frogsiren:2044257 Points:frogsiren:

gently caress all that bullshit.

Well, in any case, here's the interesting things now that June has officially begun.

The F-2A -Nagase- and X-29A -Cancer- have been added to the Supply Catalogue for 400 and 200 Tickets each.

The Xevious Collaboration Emblems have all been added to the Catalogue as well for 100 Tickets each, along with the Solvalou Nickname for 50 Tickets.

6 Instant Radio Messages from AC3: Electrosphere have also been added for 100 Tickets each:

- Good thing Rena's flying a Flanker, eh?
- Speak.
- I think...I'm still not back to full strength.
- Hah, hah hah hah hah!
- I'm pinned down!
- Insubordination!

A Special Challenge for the F-15E -Gemini-, 20 Sorties for the Plane.

June's primary Special Drops are:

- Rafale M Event Skin #01
:siren:- CFA-44 -Strigon Leader-:siren:

Our next Ranking Event is also our first repeat: The Mercenary King Tournament returns. Prize tiering is currently unknown, but the Special Aircraft Lv. Cap Increase Request Forms are also being given out this time around.

X-29A -Cancer-

700 Cost Fighter
Statistics: D+/C+/D/B/E+/E
Parts Slots: 25/22/22
GUN/MSL Ammo: 286/114
SP.W Loadout: QAAM/SAAM/HPAA

F-15E -Gemini-

700 Cost Multirole
Statistics: B+/D+/C/C+D+/E+
Parts Slots: 31/31/31
GUN/MSL Ammo: 365/126
SP.W Loadout: 4AAM/SFFS/4AGM

CFA-44 -Strigon Leader-

850 Cost Multirole
Statistics: C+/C+/C+/B+/C+/D
Parts Slots: 38/36/37
GUN/MSL Ammo: 520/126
SP.W Loadout: ADMM/EML/ECM

New Weapon Info:

All Direction Multi-Purpose Missile [ADMM]:

A multi-purpose missile capable of attacking both air-to-air and air-to-ground targets simultaneously.
Although the each individual missile is not especially powerful, 12 small missiles with excellent homing capabilities all simultaneously lock in to multiple targets, allowing for the efficient destruction of targets across a wide area.
It is especially effective in battles in which targets feature a mixture of air, ground and sea targets.

Electromagnetic Launcher [EML]:

A special weapon that fires bullets at extremely high speeds by accelerating them electromagnetically.
Although it has no homing capabilities, each shot travels exceptionally fast and is very powerful. This allows for major damage to both air-to-air and air-to-ground targets, regardless of range, so long as targeting and timing are in alignment.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

The Nagase an the Cancer don't really seem to be anything to write home about, or am I missing something?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

AfroSquirrel posted:

The Nagase an the Cancer don't really seem to be anything to write home about, or am I missing something?

No, you pretty much got it. The astrology themed planes never really are anything too special; better base stats and more parts cells in exchange for higher level up costs and a reduced cap. I used the F-2 -Nagase- for some challenges way back when, and it felt like it was way more sluggish than it's stats implied... even for an attacker. I doubt I'll use it again unless some new challenges show up where it's GPBs would give it an advantage over the normal F-2.

edit: I also look forward to the ADMM spam this game so desperately needs.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 1, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hobo on Fire posted:

edit: I also look forward to the ADMM spam this game so desperately needs.

At 4.4mil for level two :negative:

I've given up on my hopes for getting the B-2 to 10. I've got enough to get my Ridgebacks to 13 once I get the request form, then it's just gonna be the slow grind to get cash for it, and now the Nosferatu.

It hurts, Bandai. It hurts a lot.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Man and I thought Destiny had a bad grind

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So Bandai Namco europe had the latest dispatch up before making it private, but not before someone made a mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jnGXmPtxYc

So eh, at the end there...Godzilla?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Always thought it was strange that our introductory Flanker was a 35, and old school Saabs are cool too. Aerospace has needed a hard mode variant.... wonder if the big guy will show up there too or just in Tokyo.

Edit because slow thread:

Post mission reward items have been getting a lot better recently. I'm getting enough stocked fuel from drops to really go all out on weekends, and in the last two days I've gotten a 5>6 upgrade form and a level cap increase from gold boxes. Of course, the bonus 3 supplied fuel from deathmatch has had me playing more anyway.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 20, 2015

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

The special supply item catalogue has been updated for August, and they are selling some variants of the level cap upgrade forms. These forms can only be used on 2 and 3 star SP aircraft and cost 200 and 300 tickets for the first of each; a second can be purchased for double the price. If you have an Idolmaster/area 88/astrology themed plane you want to take past Lv.10, use these first and save any other cap increase forms to pimp out that fancy jet you won after grinding out a ranking event.

Of course, I noticed these after I saw there was a Naval Fleet assault TDM coming up and burned a form on my Capricorn Su-34.

edited to update costs

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 1, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Ace Combat 7 may be announced at PlayStation Experience?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ace-combat-7-announcement-set-for-playstation-expe/1100-6432648/

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Please let it be true. :flashfap:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I wonder if they're going to continue with the story set up in Infinity with Earth turning into Strangereal, and the weird kid controlling the super plane from space.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

oh god yesss

I had a lot of fun with Infinity but I really wish I could get my Ace Combat fix on PS4 instead of 3. Also, if it's another F2P game, I'd really appreciate it if they go with a "play all you want and pay to ease the grind" model like almost every non-mobile game out there. In practice it wasn't that bad, but I'd still rather not deal with it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

I wonder if they're going to continue with the story set up in Infinity with Earth turning into Strangereal, and the weird kid controlling the super plane from space.

Really, they could carry just about everything from Infinity, gameplay, story, everything, and I'd be happy. A standalone game with a full campaign that plays like Infinity would be perfect.

I wouldn't even care about making it look pretty, just make it play the right way.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I don't even care about the setting as long as it has good music, crazy superweapons, and giant battles.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Infinity has convinced me that they can do a Strangereal on Earth conversion well enough that I am excited about a possible AC7.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Well, from what I have been seeing, two more bits kinda point to this:
1:
Way back in June, PA posted this: https://vine.co/v/eJxgVrZ35PP
Note the music+the lack of ACI 1st anniversary logo, we can probably rule that out being ACI update related item.

2. Masato Kanno, PA's mech designer and art director has been missing for a while, but just posted another tweet 2 days ago about the 1/144 scaled Yellow 13 Flanker.
Now the significance of this: I dont think Kanno is busy with ACI anymore, he did the UAV design along with the OLDS design, and that was about it.
ACI, as it stands right now is ran by a group of outsourced artists (can be seen in staff list+ difference in art asset style/quality) + in-house designers. Big shots like Kanno (mech designer) or Itomi (mission briefing artist, storyboard artist, AND THE GUY WHO EDITED THE AC TRAILERS)'s involvement are nowhere to be seen in ACI these days.
As far as game development goes, having senior staff idling around is definitely way expensive. Looking at those 2 guys portfolio and track record, they didnt do anything major outside AC series. So if I were to guess, they are on another AC project.

Though the development of the game would be interesting. I wonder how ACI would be related to this, since ACI campaign got cut off in the middle/high point.
Also, Kobayashi is no longer a composer under Namco, he went freelance. However, Kobayashi did come back to compose some tracks for idolm@ster after his departure, so I wouldn't write him out of the project just yet.

So..... provided AC7 does get announced this weekend, it'd be interesting to see how the staff composition/design direction plays out.

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 1, 2015

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Put in J-10s, J-20s, and Q5s TIA Namco

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Nice to see this thread get revived just as I'm discovering I can get a used/refurbished PS3 from Gamestop for about $120 (though I don't know whether I actually want one for that cheap or if I want to save up for a new, more recent model - apparently it loads slower, but my primary concern is avoiding another YLOD, and if that model can survive belonging to my idiot step-sister and her kids, then I think it'll last for my purposes). I've really missed blowing poo poo up with a Strike Eagle.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kadorhal posted:

Nice to see this thread get revived just as I'm discovering I can get a used/refurbished PS3 from Gamestop for about $120 (though I don't know whether I actually want one for that cheap or if I want to save up for a new, more recent model - apparently it loads slower, but my primary concern is avoiding another YLOD, and if that model can survive belonging to my idiot step-sister and her kids, then I think it'll last for my purposes). I've really missed blowing poo poo up with a Strike Eagle.

I wouldn't get a used fat PS3 unless it had a substantial warranty of some kind. It's too easy for an unscrupulous person to do the heat-gun trick to revive a YLOD PS3 and then sell it to a store knowing it will only work for a few weeks.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Indeed. Although, if it's a Slim, then you'll be fine. Just as long as it isn't a Fatty, you should be good.

It's funny. I've been using a Fatty that I bought second hand from a guy some years ago, and it's still trucking along quite well. Now watch it finally YLOD on me now that I've said that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

I wouldn't get a used fat PS3 unless it had a substantial warranty of some kind. It's too easy for an unscrupulous person to do the heat-gun trick to revive a YLOD PS3 and then sell it to a store knowing it will only work for a few weeks.

Volfogg posted:

Indeed. Although, if it's a Slim, then you'll be fine. Just as long as it isn't a Fatty, you should be good.

Alright then, guess I'm holding out a while longer for a Slim one; just found out my semi-local Walmart has new 500GB ones in stock for a decent price. Just have to hope they don't run out by the time Christmas rolls around, and then I'll be dancing with the angels or I guess whales grinding money for the XFA-27 and upgrades to get the "Fire Youngman" nickname. I don't care how dumb and engrish that actually sounds, Fire Youngman is one of my favorite tracks from that game and if I can't get the Scarface emblem then one of his planes and that nickname will be the next best thing.

fun story i actually read one of the reviews on gamestop's website for one of those refurbished ps3's and it was apparently not actually refurbished and even filled with cockroaches

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 4, 2015

• Locked thread