Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
drat, you got some work done. Nice job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Here's the save file after my turn.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Phssthpok was the last guy on our list, so anyone who wants a turn, I suppose it's first come first served.
I'll take the turn later tonight or tomorrow, perhaps, if nobody else wants it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I'll do a second turn after you, if you need a person. Feel free to give priority to others who haven't taken a turn yet though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Every time I see that glorious or smiley I designed and bought I feel a little thrill. It gets used so drat much.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'll sign up for another turn, though it feels like it's not been too long since my last one, so might want to put a few empty spaces before me on the list.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sign me up for another turn, if needed.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Downloaded into the onsite meat puppet and found it next to a peculiar henge. Had heard of these kinds of henges being constructed to corral the local wildlife, but this one appeared unfinished.

No exoskeletal enhancements or automobiles, so mobility is limited. Plenty of weaponry. Good.

A train was carrying ore to the primary build site, but not unloading any of it to the foundry. Easy to fix.

Due to the limited bandwidth of the train cars and the primary foundry, constructed furnaces at mining installation to facilitate shipping iron plates.

This used most of the available steel bars. Will increase production.

Now, the train unloads iron at the main fabrication center.

Repurposed a defunct coal line for the new input of iron plates, and increased steel production.

Science Pack 3's are not being produced for shortage of steel. Batteries are backing up.

Insert batteries into the logistic network. Continue to increase steel production. Further logistics required to deliver steel to science pack assemblers.

Heavy Oil tanks are full, preventing oil refineries from operating. Increase lubricant storage to provide a temporary heavy oil sink. Very temporary.

New copper mining installation. Close to home, so send ore directly to foundry on belts. May be a good location to unload copper from trains later.

Expanded copper foundry.

Add more circuit assemblers right at the exit of the foundry. Terrible idea; reduces flow of metal plates to many important assemblers. gently caress 'em.

Begin new train line toward large mineral deposits to southwest of primary site. No stopping progress.

Expanded mining and smelting operations placing strain on power grid. Increased power production. Wildlife seems to enjoy the taste of it.

Further increased power production with solar panels and accumulators.

Power usage graphs before and after show much more room for temporary power draws. This should greatly increase the... stamina... of laser defenses.

quote:

The Gun is good! The Penis is evil! The Penis shoots Seeds, and makes new Life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the Gun shoots Death and purifies the Earth of the filth of Brutals. Go forth and kill!

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 27, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Phssthpok posted:

Expanded mining and smelting operations placing strain on power grid. Increased power production. Wildlife seems to enjoy the taste of it.

Ladies and gentlemen I believe we have our second dick in Filthyburg. Things can only go up from here!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Before I read the latest update, has anyone played the next hour? Because if not, I'll play it now, then find out what disasters I missed.

Besides another dick monument. because that, I couldn't miss if I tried.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I did, save here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/hyj77okwblkj5dd/Wreckining.zip

I would have had the update up, but my internet died for two hours. No more time tonight, I'll have the update up 5PM+ tomorrow.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 27, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Evilreaver posted:

I did, save here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/hyj77okwblkj5dd/Wreckining.zip

I would have had the update up, but my internet died for two hours. No more time tonight, I'll have the update up 5PM+ tomorrow.

Enough time to get some engineering done.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Progress!

Whoever's next, including 2nd timers, have fun. We're 5 hours from the deadline. The base is running MOSTLY efficiently now. Everything works, for the moment, at least.
https://www.mediafire.com/?atlj2apqfrabxey

I can't tell you the rest until I do my update though. Because not knowing what happened/went wrong in the last hour is part of the charm.
And not realising which things you were totally sure the base had have been turned off, of course.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
OP updated.

If you're up for your turn, grab that save and make a post that you're on it. Since we don't have anyone signed up, new folks can grab it immediately, no worries.

Of the second rounders...
  • Hagop: 14 hours since last round
  • tonberrytoby: 12 hours
  • Filthy Monkey: 17 hours
  • Elfface: 9 hours
  • FISHMANPET: 5 hours

Veloxyll had a 7 hour difference.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Sorry, fokes the forums outage kinda stomped my window in which to take a 2nd turn. I wont be able to play till Monday again.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Turns out you can't actually download 0.10 any more, so unless we switch to the new 0.10.2 I don't think I can take a second turn. 0.10.2 is supposed to have fixed the save bug in 0.10.1, anyway.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Turns out you can't actually download 0.10 any more, so unless we switch to the new 0.10.2 I don't think I can take a second turn. 0.10.2 is supposed to have fixed the save bug in 0.10.1, anyway.

Test this on another file. I just lost a save when I updated to .2 and I get a read only error (even though I undid it for the entire folder).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Filthy Monkey posted:

https://www.factorio.com/download/experimental

Scroll down, they're all there.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ah, in that case, I'll take the next turn then.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Evilreaver II: The Wreckening

Rise and shine, Mr Terraformer, Rise and... shine. Not to imply that we've been sleeping on the job, no one is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, lets just say my Factorio hour has come again.

I'm welcomed, welcomed to desert factory Filthyburg. I've chosen (or been chosen) to try to get this place moving again.

After a few minutes surveying the base, I come to the conclusion that everything is just terrible. So, I decide to just do my best to improve supply to any lines I can, and that means starting from the beginning of the line.

What I'd like to do is tap that massive iron and copper deposit, and it looks like someone else had the same idea. There's a ton of bugs in the area, and we're hurting for equipment...

Here's our combat drone complex (helpfully forgetting the ARSE overlay), crucially missing the Destroyer Manhacks we'll need to really get our bug killin' on. We're missing that Research...

No blue science. We're out of batteries, which I trace to being out of copper plates.

In the mean time, I find a module factory that's been limited. Rocket defenses require a minimum of 800 of each speed and production, so I unlimit both. (Also I spread a ton of speeds around during this round). Hey, what's that on my minimap?

:cripes: Those antlions biters set up right next to our base! I didn't think they did that, someone has lied to me.

I fumigate them. Since we're close enough to the turret line, the SMG makes quick work of the one nest. Maybe spending so many poison was overkill, but we've got a huge ton and I've got places to be.

The receiving train station was set up really weirdly. I reset a bunch of malarkey (this is in-progress) to improve throughput. The right inserters in the right place made all the difference in the world. I also spend some time on both sides maximizing throughput, upgrading belts and placing more mines and whatnot, just about doubling the line. Not bad.

We don't need no water, we need more oil to burn! Or rather make into batteries. I strip out some water pumps that went nowhere (:iiam:) and pump out some oil. By the way, this is literally 20 spaces from our main refinery.

But it doesn't matter, as the real reason we had no oil is because the Light Oil was backing up. Fixed!

We don't have many artifacts right now, so I do what I can to stretch them out-- adding in Productivity modules. We will need to improve these and get more artifacts, but one thing at a time. Also, I'm tired of all this browning out, anything I can do about this? Turns out, we have a ton of solars we can place, so I make a blueprint and slap some down.

More than that...

That's more like it. Not pictured: About twice as much more than that. The bots quickly got to work making us proud. While a pattern using substations rather than electric poles may well be things like 'more compact' and 'better', it's also 'more expensive' and 'I'm lazy'.

The Eastern base is getting hit hard, so I reinforce it a bit and decide that's where my killing is going to take place. Do we have a car? Can't hunt antlions in the desert without a car. Well, anyway I order the bots to fly me some parts and I build one, then go killing!

:rice:
I'm a killing machine! I go and slaughter the bugs with abandon, shooting out the window and hucking poison grenades without a care in the world. Can nothing stop me?

Oh, that'll do it. Even with a good fumigating, I run out of ammo before I run out of bugs. And as I reload, I run out of time...

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'd be down for a turn, but I'm not that good at late-game stuff.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

T-man posted:

I'd be down for a turn, but I'm not that good at late-game stuff.

Competence is over-rated anyhow.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Turns out I have some technical issues. I am out. Skip me and move on to whoever is next.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'd love to start, but I don't have the latest save!

You can send it to [REDACTED], though.

I am a big dumb stupid who can't figure out the latest save isn't with the latest batch of pretty pictures.

e: Here's the save, I kinda made 56 pictures (of basically nothing), so that's updating/being written right now.

http://www.filedropper.com/tmansfolly

A whole lot of nothing of note happened!

T-man fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 29, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am pretty sure it is in this post.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3642000&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post431441972

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

T-man posted:

e: Here's the save, I kinda made 56 pictures (of basically nothing), so that's updating/being written right now.

http://www.filedropper.com/tmansfolly

A whole lot of nothing of note happened!

Hurrah! That means I can write my update.

What do you mean it's not there?!

Well, I've been sent back. I guess they either liked what I did with the place last time.
Or are punishing me.

Time will tell. First up, I bet you a dollar there isn't a plant manufacturing power poles like that. I quickly run some off and let the automatic systems deal with it. I guess some of the enemy breached the lines. Probably not worth worrying about though, right?

Now that that's sorted, I swear our Research hasn't moved. The reason why is pretty obvious. We need Batteries!

I found some nearby. Also shoved some Oil Derricks in the chest because why not. Those things are HEAVY. And you never know what I might break.

Now that batteries are sorted, next on the agenda is this little problem.

Okay, I lied, over here has been bugging me with under attack alarms, so everything is probably getting all banged up since there's no nearby Roboport. I fix that, and get mobbed by adoring fans. It's good to be the Roboking!
Did I do something wrong when I refitted the bullet machines for better shooty? (spoiler: Yes)

Huh. There's no copper on this line. But the chests are all reporting they have copper plates.

Lets just pull one of the chests out and refit the whole array and WHOOPS! I think I found the problem!

I'm sure all this copper won't foul up any other production lines in the base.
I clean things up, remodel it all so that the copper goes into one chest, and the requester is free to call in steel without being flooded with Copper and go looking for more issues.

You know, there are 8 science plants here, and only 4 are being fed. A little remodelling here and there. I mean, I could have just pulled the Circuits and Steel up from the south too, instead of wasting all these Advanced Circuits on the production line here, but eh. Efficiency is for chumps anyhow. I'll just get Drones to sort out the whole Steel issue.
Obviously to feed all this, we're going to need more plastics. But I'm LAZY. Where can I get more plastic from inside the base, hmm.

Aha! Our tanks of Heavy Oil are already half full.

And uh. I think we have enough lube.

So first, we break our Heavy Oil into Light Oil with cunning use of water.

Then we just process Light oil into Petrolium, and voila! Petrolium production increases without having to go outside. A true Goon solution.

You know, I swear I saw a blue belt factory. Why don't I have any?
Turns out some muppet has ceased Metal Gear collection.
I bet it was the Patriots.

Fortunately, a supply of spares is easy enough to find. Soon our goods will be belting along merrily.

Speaking of speed. We're going to need some high tech modules if I'm reading the computer right. Gotta go FASTER.

Also more productively.

Now, the final question is, why do we seem to have no robot arms down here. There seems to be a lack of circuitry.

Nope. That copper will cause no troubles at alllll.
Well. I guess this is why I'm not getting many roboarms FOR SCIENCE.

I quickly hoover the copper up, then that strange floaty feeling comes over me.
At least I have blue belllltttsss...

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

And uh. I think we have enough lube.

Said literally noone ever.

Speaking off, some blue beltway production would be nice since I think that a lot of the production is still slowed down by the fact that we use yellow and red.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I don't even know how you're supposed to use all the lubricant you get from even a single refinery's output of heavy oil. I don't need that many blue belts or electric engines seriously.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

By my count we had 7.5k units of the stuff. Plus I'm still 99% sure we have a Chem plant still making the stuff.

And we do have 1 blue belt factory now.

We also have hundreds of Circuit boards available to the logistics system. Both basic, and advanced. And gears are now coming back into the system. Of course, this was an hour ago, and we DID run out of bullets at least once on the turret grid.

There are probably a few spots where it backs up like that, yeah. I swapped some yellow for red, but only had blue for a few minutes. Whoever linked the copper ore mines with yellow belts should die a fiery painful death though

Of course, this all assumes that my successor didn't break anything :)

Neruz posted:

I don't even know how you're supposed to use all the lubricant you get from even a single refinery's output of heavy oil. I don't need that many blue belts or electric engines seriously.

Which was part of my motivation for cracking heavy oil. being able to use it for something else is super valuable. I do hope they add some more things do do with the oils cause right now it's still basically crack it to petrolium for Plastics/Sulfur or make solid fuel. And there's usually enough coal about the place to sate your solid fuel lust anyhow.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 29, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I like making some solid fuel and mixing it in with my coal reserves going to my power plants; gives me more coal to send to the plastic mills. I'm almost never running low on oil products because as you said the only kind of oil product you really need lots of is petroleum gas but I frequently start having issues getting all the coal I need once I'm using it to power furnaces and power plants and plastic.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

It's like none of you have even heard of flamethrowers!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I keep meaning to make one of those. But I'm lazy, and rockets are such a blast. (though I'm unsure if we've unlocked area rockets. I was shamelessly using alien tech that other people had provided.)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Despite my love for flamethrowers I have not yet actually found a reason to use them in Factorio; maybe if they acted like real flamethrowers and spat streams of sticky liquid fire that spreads across the ground and murdered everything with superheated clouds of toxic gases instead of acting like normal video game flamethrowers I'd use them.

Video game flamethrowers are so disappointing if you've ever seen a real flamethrower at work. I can only assume that whoever first made the videogame 'puff of orange smoke' flamethrower had never seen a real flamethrower in his life.

Also I like how the LP is deliberately making it unclear whether we have 1 guy who is completely and totally insane or whether we have multiple crazy people who are being shuttled to and from the planet every hour or so.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 29, 2014

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless

Neruz posted:

Also I like how the LP is deliberately making it unclear whether we have 1 guy who is completely and totally insane or whether we have multiple crazy people who are being shuttled to and from the planet every hour or so.

I wrote my part like I was some rookie electrician who got shuttled to the station for an hour before causing electrical failures to happen, but it's perfectly reasonable that I could've just been but a facet of one poor soul's shattered personality.

Whatever way of it, we all have Fun in the end!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Genius and insanity are separated only by degrees of success.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Neruz posted:

Mostly the later, i was an insane tech-priest. Who wanted to commit suicide when he saw the mess of the factory.

Has the LP stalled :smith:?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It has gotten to a hard place, and most people probably don't want to be the ones where the base goes to hell. I played through about 3/4 of a turn, including a writeup, but lost it due to a power outage and didn't feel like going at it again.

Namely, all of our artifacts went into rocket defense research, while we are still only armed with the same steel armor, SMG, and piercing rounds I had in hour two. There is a good supply of distractor capsules, which could be our one savior, but doing circles in the car is less reliable than power armor plus exoskeletons. It is pretty easy to run into trees, biters, and what not. Somebody would need to buckle down and work on getting alien artifacts, which isn't easy now that were are large biters and we are undergeared.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hour 20 - Biters win, am dead. All hope for successful colonization of planet lost. GG Humanity.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's also hard to buckle down and get your killin' on with only an hour to work. I tried, and gutted a few bases, so it's not impossible. I spent almost everything we had available to do it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

When I left it, the base should've had everything it needs to be self sufficient, at least. I know I thought about making even basic modular armour. But got sidetracked. Possibly it was when setting up the other 4 labs and extra refineries, when it decided to wig out and I had to redo that bit about 6 times.

• Locked thread