Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Scyther posted:

any of you fellas familiar with this error while trying to run doomrpg + doomrl on gzdoom through the launcher

what iwad are you using and what do you have checked in the mods/patches tab of the launcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

i'm using the doom2 iwad. it seems to be working now by checking off the doomrl wad on the right as a wad/pk3 instead of as a doom rpg patch on the left. now my question is do i need to do something special to make the summoning skills work? they just play a buzzing noise right now

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Scyther posted:

i'm using the doom2 iwad. it seems to be working now by checking off the doomrl wad on the right as a wad/pk3 instead of as a doom rpg patch on the left. now my question is do i need to do something special to make the summoning skills work? they just play a buzzing noise right now

And you had DoomRL selected in both sides or only in the left previously? Because for what I know you need to have it selected on both sides, or that's at least how it worked for me. Did you get the class select menu when starting?
As for summoning, I have no idea.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

qnqnx posted:

And you had DoomRL selected in both sides or only in the left previously? Because for what I know you need to have it selected on both sides, or that's at least how it worked for me. Did you get the class select menu when starting?
As for summoning, I have no idea.

checking it on both sides seems to fix error messages and summons. :pcgaming:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

strike that, only summoning a marine works, all the monster summons do not

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

i think the coder of this extremely poorly documented pile disabled the monster summons. good thing theres no indication ingame of this.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

When I read DoomRPG I thought you were talking about that mobile phone Doom game that played like Eye of the Beholder or Legend of Grimrock

I kinda wish there was a way to play that doesn't require having a phone from 2005

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Seshoho Cian posted:

When I read DoomRPG I thought you were talking about that mobile phone Doom game that played like Eye of the Beholder or Legend of Grimrock

I kinda wish there was a way to play that doesn't require having a phone from 2005

There's a Doom II RPG that was made for iPhone/iPod, etc. Came out a few years ago.

pro-edit: you can throw toilets and fill up a squirt gun (holy water) with toilet water.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 6, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there an iwad that adapts the doom 1 levels for 2? Be nice to play some of the levels with the monsters and weapons from 2, not to mention mod compatibility. I guess I just like the d1 levels better.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Chinook posted:

There's a Doom II RPG that was made for iPhone/iPod, etc. Came out a few years ago.

pro-edit: you can throw toilets and fill up a squirt gun (holy water) with toilet water.

That game is loving weird. I played through most of it because I had an ipod touch first gen and was low enough on games to bother with it

To up your strength stat which I'm not sure does anything, you have to do a constant QTE on treadmills that explode when you get off them. To up your accuracy you have to pass accuracy tests which would be insultingly easy even if it weren't a turn based RPG

the new monster sprites are really good though

edit: using any holy item on an enemy makes them get giant googly eyes of fear and it's great

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Seshoho Cian posted:

Pretty sure its on the iOS and/or Google play store. Its pretty drat fun.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Also I remember playing this back when it came out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9amHirFXe8

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Back to Saturn X Episode 2, guys

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Please start pronouncing BTSX as "Butt Sex", thanks in advance.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BTSX2 starts getting really hard after the second chill story map with no enemies

actually the map before that one was hard

im having a bitch of a time on the "demons are real" map tho

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Duke3d is the best FPS ever.
Redneck Rampage, Blood, Shadow Warrior and all Duke expansions sucked huge amount of balls though.

It is almost as if being a good game is not about modeling levels after thematic real word locations with some crude humor thrown in.

Also Build engine is awesome and incredibly fun to make levels for.

If you wanted to make a mirror in Build, you had to construct two mirrored rooms and connect them with a special kind of wall that did the actual mirror effect, it was cool as poo poo :unsmith:

blainestereo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 9, 2014

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I remember trying to make maps for dark forces and the only editor was this buggy undocumented homebrew piece of poo poo that was a bitch to make do anything remotely similar to what you played in the actual game

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
the attrition mod for duke is fun as hell. comes with a lot of maps too. the difficulty can get kind of insane after a while though

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

blainestereo posted:

Duke3d is the best FPS ever.
Redneck Rampage, Blood, Shadow Warrior and all Duke expansions sucked huge amount of balls though.

Blood is awesome you take that back :argh:

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Hello Meow posted:

Blood is awesome you take that back :argh:

Awesome things about Blood:
* Caleb
* Crawling hand
* Aerosol can weapon

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Blood is pretty great, but it's also really hard. Blood 2 is unredeemable garbage.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Pop around the corner, get hosed by a tommy gun cultist, reload, pop around the corner knowing where the cultist is, kill him, move to the next corner.

That's not hard, that's annoying.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

blainestereo posted:

Pop around the corner, get hosed by a tommy gun cultist, reload, pop around the corner knowing where the cultist is, kill him, move to the next corner.

That's not hard, that's annoying.

hey heres an idea how about maybe try not sucking at games and kill the enemy the first time around because your reflexes are finely honed by years of extensive gamer training instead of being a retarded bitch baby fumbling blindly through the whole thing like "hurr durr i am gay"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

like how did you not strafe around the corner in the first place

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

I will have you know that I in fact am very good at videogames so this is clearly the game's fault.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

hey heres an idea how about maybe try not sucking at games and kill the enemy the first time around because your reflexes are finely honed by years of extensive gamer training instead of being a retarded bitch baby fumbling blindly through the whole thing like "hurr durr i am gay"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mung Dynasty posted:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Mung Dynasty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

blainestereo posted:

* Caleb
* Crawling hand
* Aerosol can weapon

* head kicking

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

blainestereo posted:

* Caleb
* Crawling hand
* Aerosol can weapon

* Dynamite Bundles.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
* Swinging doors that can literally destroy you

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

It's time to talk about Blood.

Blood is the best old-school FPS there is.

Now I know what you're saying, it isn't Duke, it isn't Doom, it isn't Quake, if Blood is the best why isn't it iconic like those? I mean, I get where you're coming from, I said the same when my friend told me Blood was better than Duke. But I was wrong.

The real answer as to why Blood is so comparatively forgotten is that all those other games are for the weak.

Blood is really hard. Even on the easier difficulties it is hard. This puts a lot of people off. Blood on the second lowest difficulty is harder than Doom on Ultraviolent. The first level especially is a real trial by fire, as ammo and weapons are scarce and enemies are plentiful. But this teaches you the real lesson of Blood: that victory is in controlling your enemies, not just charging at them. Playing Blood like you'd play Doom gets you killed in about 5 seconds flat, by the most basic enemies in the first interior environment in the whole game.

Wait, you might be getting the impression that the game's protagonist, Caleb, is not as badass as Doom Guy or Duke. No, he is more badass than either of them. Caleb is a gunslinger from a time in American history when the main activities were shooting the family dog, getting train-robbed, and dying a death of dignified starvation as your farm turned to dust and blew into the sky. So what? We've seen gunslingers before, nobody cares about cowboys anymore. But Caleb kicks it up a notch. Being a feared gunslinger wasn't enough for him, so he joined an evil cult and through his sheer awesomeness rose to the top. Caleb isn't a hero. He's a poo poo.

But then the evil god Tchernabog turns on him and has Caleb and his buddies murdered. For most people being murdered ends things there. Not Caleb though, the game opens with him rising from his grave to begin the murderous rampage to end all murderous rampages.

However, that's all backstory poo poo. Who cares about that in a classic shooter? But even without all that poo poo Blood would still be the best. Why? I can't give you a short answer in some sort of bullet-pointed list because I would just be listing all the components of the game. So it's the long answer.

First let's go with the main menu. That might sound odd, but all games back then opened with a big fancy splash screen with some sort of badass picture of the protagonist shooting guys with horns in the face. Not Blood, Blood just shows a demo of the first level of the game overlaid with the main menu text, set in classy art-deco font. Why? It's because no man on earth could draw something more badass than Blood's gameplay.

The level design friggin rules. Everything basically makes sense architecture-wise, maybe some liberties taken here and there, but it is themeatically consistent. It's all some twisted 1920s art deco poo poo, trains, castles, towns, mansions, funeral homes, loaded with secrets and references that cover the entirety of horror canon. There's a cask of amontillado reference in the second level. You think it's just a cute name for the bar, then BAM, guy loving walled up in there when you blow up a wall. The level everyone talks about when they talk about Blood is the evil fairground, where you can play fairground games with severed heads. But that's not my favourite. My favourite is the enormous haunted mansion, packed full of hidden rooms, bookcase doors, portraits that open to reveal secrets. You can spend aaages looking for secrets in there and you'll find tons of them. It's so interactive and so fun. You can even blow up parts of levels, allowing you to get to secret locations.

The enemies that populate these awesome goddamn levels are hosed up and creepy. Their sprites are unsettling, slightly misproportioned claymation looking motherfuckers and it fits the mood of the game perfectly. There are axe wielding zombies, an army of cultists with shotguns and tommyguns, fire-breathing hellhounds, fish that sound like eagles for some reason?, grinning gargoyles that swoop around like mad fuckers. Any one of them can gently caress you up easily if you're not careful.

The weapons are awesome. Well, ok, the pitchfork kind of sucks, but it's better than the fists you get in most of these things. Everything else basically one-ups the weapon selection in every other game. Pistol? Flaregun that shoots flares into dudes that cause them to burst into flames a few seconds later. Machinegun? Tommygun. Rocket launcher? Napalm launcher. Everything is better. A hairspray flamethrower is a basic tier weapon in Blood. The 3 types of dynamite really typify the gameplay. Including the alt-fire effects you have so many ways of using just the basic dynamite. You can throw it different ranges by holding down the button and have it explode on impact, or you can have it explode on a time delay and throw it and bounce it round a corner. Or you can set the fuse going then set it down at your feet, perfect for destroying chasing enemies. Then you get the proximity and remote detonation dynamite and you're playing chess with explosives.

I think in my haste I forgot to mention the alt fire. Everything (except the pitchfork which sucks) has an alt-fire. The tommygun sweeps hilariously back and forth to clear rooms. The flaregun shoots a starburst of flames. The soul-stealing skull staff serves as a sentry. It's rad.

What makes the weapons feel so good are the death effects. Heads pop off and you can kick them around. Burning cultists run around screaming till their skin drops off and their skeleton collapses into a hissing, spitting pool of blood and melted fat. Gibs fly far and wide. The voodoo doll makes people melt. The screams of the dying are harrowing, the sound design and voice acting work is incredible. Other games give their evil wizards gibberish cod-latin or backmasked clips of the developers saying 'floppy dicks'. Not Blood. Their cultists have their own language. The manual has a translation guide. Why? Because it's loving rad, that's why. I talked about Caleb earlier, but his voiceactor does more to make him awesome than the awesome backstory. Caleb has range. One minute he's muttering showtunes (that's right, MOTHER-FUCKIN SHOWTUNES), talking to himself absent mindedly, then he's cackling with evil glee as men explode, screaming. Duke is a one-trick pony, mumbling stolen movie one-liners in a voice so monotone it sounds like he's suffering from steroid-induced bell's palsy. Caleb has a shitload of lines, tons of them context sensitive to individual levels.

The only thing really left to mention are the power-ups. Weaker men use medikits to heal themselves. Caleb uses them to patch his coat. What really sustains him are the still-beating hearts of his dead enemies and also hosed up eyeball abominations. Move over berserk pack, guns akimbo is here. One of the most memorable early setpieces in the game is when you're on a train (hell yes train) and you have basically just gotten a tommygun and the guns akimbo powerup. Now you have two tommyguns. The next carriage is a dining car full of like 30 goddamn cultists. You know what to do.

Basically Blood owns and you should play it. Right now. It's on gog.com for far less money than it's worth.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Powerful (not saying brutal, to not confuse with brutal doom and its questionable choices)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

yeah Blood owns and you should play it

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

yeah Blood owns and you should play it

It owns...........for me to poop on

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
can you play chex quest in deathmatch? i kinda wanna see that. is there a modern chex quest map making scene?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mod sassinator posted:

can you play chex quest in deathmatch? i kinda wanna see that. is there a modern chex quest map making scene?

yes, I would also like to mow down someone with a 'rapid zorcher' and stab someone else to death with an electric spoon

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

Surprisingly, yes. They've slowed down recently, but here's a total DM rehaul for Chex Quest.

http://www.ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/ChexPackP16-3.2.pk3

(Run with skulltag actors/data)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
fuckin a. a few years ago someone setup a quake server over the thanksgiving holiday and it was a shitload of fun playing the classic DM levels. i propose we get some doom game action going, like chex quest, hexen, brutal doom, whatever

• Locked thread