Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Saw it on Friday and it's merely okay. The beginning of it is incredibly similar in plot and gags to the first that I wasn't having much of a good time at all but around the midpoint they introduce an idiot girl and get the plot going in fresh water and most everything improves from there. Unfortunately, it's really not as well written or well flowing as the original and too many of the "real" people are outlandish. Generally speaking the real world was the straight man to contrast their idiocy and immaturity but the retirement home woman, the second twin (but not the first), and Freida were among the people who existed at a level approaching Harry and Lloyd and I don't think that helps the comedy.

Jim Carrey still has really impressive physical comedy skills and I enjoyed his performance most of the way through. There were a few times where he delivers poorly like someone playing Jim Carrey playing Lloyd but those aren't too frequent. Jeff Daniels doesn't fare as well as most times I felt like he was trying way, way too hard but just couldn't be Harry anymore. It may just be that he's too good now acting-wise or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJjJEuUe6A

Total respect for someone to be paired up with Jim Carrey and still make a great character who acts within the span of a gag. I felt like that was missing for Harry in To.

Still, there's a half dozen really good gags and enough laughs peppered around, more in the second half than the first, that I felt like it was worth the time. Won't ever be considered a classic though.

Also, I totally though Dumb and Dumber was rated R. I can't think of a reason why it would be but I still would have listed it as among the best R rated comedies. :tmyk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Hollismason posted:

The deleted hot tub scene from Dumb and Dumber is so loving insanely dark and on many levels incredibly disturbing but man it would have made that movie 10 times what it was.

It's really disappointing Jim Carrey has kind of stopped doing good movies, he's a good actor and really funny.

Hah, jesus, that's a hard bell to unring. It really doesn't fit the maturity of the characters though, where they should be talking about sex to a ten year old's understanding via Playboy. I do love that Harry is operating at that level and doesn't know what the gently caress.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

Saw this at noon. Better than I expected, it could have been as good as the first, if not better, if it spent more time in the oven and trimmed the fat. I felt it was stupid that she wasn't Harry or Lloyds daughter being that they acted so similar Also I don't understand if the daughter was a genius who just lacked common sense, or was just stupid, was she only giving a speech for her father and that's it?

I think since she was Pee Stain's daughter, and Pee Stain was an actual friend of Harry and Lloyd, she was the daughter of yet another idiot. Just not those two idiots.

About the rest, I think the idea was the dad realized his wife was awful and sent his daughter with a honey pot and had the "Canadian" FBI follow her everywhere to catch them. So she's a total idiot and he knows it and it was all a ruse. She was never going to be a genius or be anything other than the daughter of a genius.

quote:

It's also not like the first film was some kind of masterpiece.

• Locked thread