Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yo Iggs is the fight club still going on or did you cancel it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
No, sorry, we had about three or four people and I would have wanted a few more.
I mean, if all four could guarantee me to show up it would be fine but it'd be a little boring if only two people showed up. Don't wanna force people to commit, though because it's supposed to be fun above all else.

Still up for it on a later date, though. Or maybe someone from America can host it at a time that's better for most people here.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Too bad.

If you posted about it in the DS2 PC thread or the streaming thread you could probably get more poeple.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Finally, the first New Game++ video for the DLCs. These'll show a slightly more streamlined path through the areas and offer more relaxed commentary with Krimsh, who also talked over NG+ videos of the first Dark Souls with me, he started an LP of Ogre Battle before that and is still going now. New to the team is InterrupterJones who you may know from Let's Playing Army Men. There's also Junpei, who can't be in these videos, sadly, but he's mentioned once in this video and is presented as a guy who knows stuff about wrestling. It's also noteworthy that he clearly, obviously and above all indubitably is the only European member. Together we are The Dark Souls, which sounds like we're Goths or Emos or whatever is the latest slightly darker subculture people make fun of. But we're not, I assure you.

Dragonwagon posted:

Too bad.

If you posted about it in the DS2 PC thread or the streaming thread you could probably get more poeple.
Honestly, I was thinking of heading there, but was afraid it might come across as me just plugging my thread.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 2, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Souls games have a long and much loved history of players leaving questionable messages, Demon's was asking for it when it had an item called "Sticky White Stuff", and I hope Bloodborne will continue this fine tradition.

EDIT: Actually, the very first message I saw in Demons was "Need Sticky White Stuff" and it was near where the Witch NPC sits in the Nexus.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 2, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I've just finished moving and after having all my stuff delivered and can't find the controller for my ps3 amidst all the boxes so this lp has been super cathartic for me! I'd only gotten to Iron Keep as the moving company grabbed all my stuff back around September. I'm slowly making my way through the videos as I unpack junk so thanks for keeping me entertained haha. :)

Judge Tesla posted:

The Souls games have a long and much loved history of players leaving questionable messages, Demon's was asking for it when it had an item called "Sticky White Stuff", and I hope Bloodborne will continue this fine tradition.

EDIT: Actually, the very first message I saw in Demons was "Need Sticky White Stuff" and it was near where the Witch NPC sits in the Nexus.

The only thing I really need to continue are the dumb _________ Skeleton!/? messages, they never fail to make me laugh and I don't see them nearly as often as I'd like.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A Darker Porpoise posted:

The only thing I really need to continue are the dumb _________ Skeleton!/? messages, they never fail to make me laugh and I don't see them nearly as often as I'd like.

I haven't come across any of these. They're hilarious!

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011
Now that the new patch is out, do you plan to go back and record the new content it added?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
It added one NPC and a little bit of flavor text.

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

It added one NPC and a little bit of flavor text.
It added a new boss and ending as well.

zA Zombie fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 5, 2015

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

zA Zombie posted:

Now that the new patch is out, do you plan to go back and record the new content it added?

The new patch is out? Is scholar of the first sin out then as well?

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 5, 2015

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Firstly: Spoilers!
And yes. Going to show that.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

PSWII60 posted:

The new patch is out? Is scholar of the first sin out then as well?

April 3rd says Amazon UK.

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

Firstly: Spoilers!
And yes. Going to show that.

Sorry about that, I put it into a spoiler tag for now but if you want it gone completely, I'll edit it out.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Last time Alsanna unlocked everything we couldn't access before. So now it's time to backtrack a bit and enter the new places we can visit now. That's technically optional but not going to all the new parts is gonna make the last boss of the DLC really loving difficult. Alsanna suggested to find the remaining Knight's of Eleum Loyce to make the fight more manageable. And we'll need it.

The Snowball

This unassuming ball of snow is an optional boss of this DLC. It does not attack the player in any way it just sits there at a slope, tempting you. It wants you to get close and fall to your death. The main trick in fighting the snowball is to not be dumb and fall. It's easiest to defeat if you bait its just sit there and do nothing attack and then follow it immediately with a swift hit using the instrument of your choice. It only takes one hit and in defeat it will roll and grow larger and larger. Admitting defeat and acknowledging you as it's master. It flattens the enemies on the bridge below and stops in the gap you could previously not cross so it can serve as a bridge to you. Truly, my favorite boss fight of the entire game. So much with so little.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 7, 2015

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
But what does the snowball mean?

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

A Curvy Goonette posted:

But what does the snowball mean?
Rather, how does it taste?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Alavaria posted:

Rather, how does it taste?

It's at least not yellow. So, good news, everyone!

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

On new game plus it holds the Soul of the Fallen, which is implied to be the conjoined souls of The Four Kings from the first game. But if memory serves, I think the description talks about 5 Kings for some reason?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

The New Game++ening continues through the Crown of the Old Iron King. Krimsh and InterrupterJones join me again and they brought puns. If you don't like puns don't watch this video.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

We want to find to more Knights before challenging the boss of Crown of the Ivory King. While still backtracking these knights will be in previously inaccessible segments of the area and, of course, the area that we've already been through is still different due to the lack of bad weather, less ice and more enemies.

So let's talk a little about the Ivory King. We don't know that much about him but what we do know is that he was originally from Farossa. The same place Vengarl was from. Farossa is, or was, a region known for it's warriors. The Lion Warriors belong to those for instance.

It's very likely that the Ivory King has fought some battles in his life the descriptions of all gear related to him actually make him seem like a decent dude. We haven't seen all of them yet so some of the descriptions are still going to come up.

Anyway, at some point he must have found the Old Chaos and built his house on top of it to contain it. And he made it his mission to do so. He was so dedicated to doing that that the entrance to the Old Chaos was right inside his own throne room.

Eventually a Child of Dark appeared at his doorstep: Alsanna.
She embodies Manus' fears and as such her motivation to be with the Ivory King was fear. Given the history of Children of Dark becoming queens for Kings you might now think that Alsanna had something to do with the Ivory King's eventual downfall. She did not. There was no downfall. At least not in the sense Vendrick, the Old Iron King and possibly the Sunken King fell.

It's just that at some point the Chaos became too strong, too difficult for him to contain. So he sacrificed himself to the Chaos to weaken it leaving behind his love, Alsanna. We're going to learn a little more about their parting at the end of the DLC, but those are just details. There's no grimdark cynical twist to it. Were it not for the Old Chaos this could have been the feelgood movie of some summer.

Alsanna is a very interesting character because she shows us that the Dark, more specifically Children of Dark aren't inherently bad. She was governed by fear but her devotion to the Ivory King seems to have helped her overcome it, at least in part, as she's now the one watching over the Old Chaos to honor her King's will.

Next time we'll go do some co-op, but after that we'll go to the Old Chaos ourselves and maybe see what has happened to the Ivory King and his Knights.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
And thanks to his sacrifice, there isn't a Bed of Chaos boss...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Alavaria posted:

And thanks to his sacrifice, there isn't a Bed of Chaos boss...

He was truly the greatest King who has ever lived.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

You know when I heard the story, it was implied that Eleum Loyce was afflicted with the Undead Curse - the Ivory King included - and that it had contributed to the kingdom's fall along with the Old Chaos. In fact I had gotten the impression that Shulva, and the Old Iron King's Dominion were from separate cycles. Did these three kingdoms all exist at the same time?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Its really ambiguous, and this being DS never officially explained one way or the other. The said, yes. I think these are all previous cycles. My reasons for saying this are unfortunately still spoiler territory though, partly for completing all the DLCs and partly for Scholar of the First Sin.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Firstly, we go through the Frigid Outskirts the final co-op area and one of the most hated areas of the game. The area had potential but it just didn't work out for most people. There's the occasional odd one who likes it but I really don't.
Secondly, I decided to actually do the fight against Alonne in NG++ too so here we have another NG++ episode as well.
So next time we'll wrap up the Ivory King DLC and the update after that will be the final one.

Lud and Zallen, the King's other pets (but only two of them)

It's like fighting Aava all over again. Only this time there's two of them. Which, needless to say, complicates things just a tad little bit. The fight starts out innocent enough with just one of the two kitties on the battlefield. Take this chance to deal as much damage as you can and ideally kill it. Hell, this is probably a better use for a brightbug than most others. But yes, get that thing as dead as possible before the second one shows up. You don't have much time. Once both are down on the battlefield you... well... you'll have to deal with both of them. And this is where this fight goes from okay, I've done this already to pretty drat difficult.

If you go solo your best bet really is to kill the first one before the second one comes out or at least damage it enough to make it more likely to kill it later. Of course, this is the co-op area so you can also bring a fried, like I did. But oh, this doesn't mean it's gonna be as easy as other multi-enemy fights in co-op. Oh no. The AI of the cats seems to be programmed to gang up on the same guy. On one hand, this gives the person(s) not currently engaged the opportunity to get in a couple relatively easy hits on the other hand it makes it more likely that someone will die. Just watch my video to see both cats trained on Wayne with me desperately trying to make one focus on me instead. Didn't work.

But hey, eventually you'll manage to kill either Lud or Zallen. At that point whichever of the two survived will power up and get just a little bit more deadly. If you can deal with Aava you should also be able to deal with that, though. The toughest part really is the time during which you'll be hunted by both fraking tigers.

Soul of Lud/Zallen
Soul of Lud, who served the Ivory King.
Each of the Ivory King's Seven beasts was conferred a specific duty. Lud's/Zallen's was the mercy killing of exiles.
Note: They do each drop their own Soul, yes, but the descriptions are identical save for the names.

Loyce Greatsword (Lud's Soul)

Trade Soul with: Ornifex
Moveset/Weapon Class: Greatsword
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 176 / 230)
Scales with: STR (E), DEX (C-S)
Requirements: 25 STR, 28 DEX
Damage Type: Slash, Thrust

In-game description:
Greatsword of the Knights of Loyce.
The Knights of Loyce were commanded to strike down each malformed terror that arose from chaos, and they would not hesitate even it if were their own king.

Loyce Shield (Zallen's Soul)

Moveset/Weapon Class: Shield
Noteworthy Defenses (+0/+5): Magic (80)
Scales with: DEX (C), MAG (D)
Requirements: 12 STR, 15 DEX
Special Abilty Adds some life regeneration that apparently stacks with other regenerating items

In-game description:
Shield of the Knights of Loyce.
The Knights of Loyce were commanded to strike down each malformed terror that arose from Chaos, and they would not hesitate even if it were their own king.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 16, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Loyce Greatsword is one of those weapons whose strength isn't necessarily all that obvious, because a lot of it has to do with things like range, tracking, and the aimable 1h R2.

Also it and the Loyce Shield are unusual in that they're boss soul weapons but upgrade with twinkling titanite rather than petrified dragon bones.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'd seen this a while ago but had not bothered until recently to get into it, which by now seems goofy after having beaten the game + DLC on both NG and NG++ now. But today I finished marathoning what was there and, well, good job thus far! It's nice to see some fresh perspectives on how to deal with some bosses or how to use certain weapons.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

I'd seen this a while ago but had not bothered until recently to get into it, which by now seems goofy after having beaten the game + DLC on both NG and NG++ now. But today I finished marathoning what was there and, well, good job thus far! It's nice to see some fresh perspectives on how to deal with some bosses or how to use certain weapons.
Yeah, I kinda went through the game in a manner that is a little weird for most people. The game expects you to hit a brick wall eventually and turn around to try something else. The sequence in this LP is almost the Sequence of my first playthrough and it's the one I use the most unless I go for something specific.

If you are looking for more Dark Souls II LPs you might want to give Dazzling Addar's LP a shot if you haven't already. Given that this is going to end next week her LP might be a good thing to check out next.

Anyway, update time!

Originally this was supposed to be the final episode, hence me mentioning it's the final episode in the video. However, due to additions that came with the latest patch there will be one more update, aside from the NG++ ones before we wrap this LP up for good. I originally wanted to upload the Ivory King NG++ video together with this episode but we've run into a slight delay. Thankfully this isn't a problem, I'll just upload it as soon it's ready. Which might be sooner than you/I think, who knows?

The Burnt Ivory King

And now we see what has become of the Ivory King after he sacrificed himself to appease the Old Chaos.

He hasn't turned into a Chaos Demon, at least not on the Dark Souls One sense of Chaos Demon. Though, this might be exactly what the power of the Chaos does to humans. What we saw in Dark Souls was essentially the Chaos malforming gods and their children.

Before we get to fight the King, though, we have to first defeat his army of Charred Loyce Knights. Thankfully we are aided by all the Loyce Knights we found. If you haven't found any and are stuck with the one you get by default then... well. Good luck!

The fight is really brutal with only one Knight as the Knight's role is not just to assist you in combat but to shut the portals they are spawning from. If you manage to get through the onslaught of Charred Knights and your one guy shuts one of three portals you'll still have two portals spawning Knights as you have to fight the boss. No, I've never done that.

Once the Burnt Ivory King enters the arena the fight proper will begin. He's essentially not much more than your big dude with armor and a big weapon but I do like this fight. He's still distinct enough visually and the music owns. The fight itself isn't too hard. It's a dude with a big sword swinging said sword. But eventually he'll buff it and it'll gain some range. At this point it's probably better to stay close to him because you can't reasonably get far enough away to gain any benefit from the distance. He's got one mean thrust move too. If it connects you'll be impaled, dragged up and smashed down. Looks more deadly than it is but still definitely to be avoided.

Once you got him down you'll get his crown, which in our case is the final one.

If we go back to Vendrick with all of the crowns we can unlock their true power. If we equip any of the crowns now we will never go hollow again. Well, when this came out plenty of people seemed to think this means that the curse is broken but no... actually you are just relieved of its symptoms while you wear one of four special hats. It's also just you and not every other undead. But at least it allows us to remain human for whatever that means.

Soul of the Ivory King
Soul of the Ivory King of Eleum Loyce.
The proud Ivory King was ever-merciful and devoted himself to the protection of his great land until he was devoured by the flames of chaos.

Ivory King Ultra Greatsword

Moveset/Weapon Class: Ultra Greatsword
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 230 / 300
Magic Damage (+0/+5): I dunno man, but if you two hand it you get some.
Scales with: STR (D-B), DEX (B)
Requirements: 30 STR, 30 DEX

In-Game description:
Ultra Greatsword of the Ivory King of Eleum Loyce. Wield with both hands to realize its full strength.
It is said that the Ivory King was once the highest ranking knight in his home of Forossa, famed for its god of war. After taking his crown, they say he was the first to swing his sword in times of need, be it for his homeland or his people.

Alsanna, Silent Oracle
She's the true final boss of the DLC! No she's not, really. But there's something extra. A little bit of an annoying grindquest. See, the charred Loyce Knights drop Loyce Souls. There's rewards for giving her a certain number of souls...

5 Loyce Souls: You get the Loyce Gauntlets and Leggings
15 Loyce Souls: You get the Loyce Armor
35 Loyce Souls: You get the Loyce Helm.
50 Loyce Souls: You get her Soul as well as the Ivory King Armor set (which you actually have to buy from Maughlin after doing this)

As you get her more and more Souls the barriers leading to her will removed. Eventually you'll be able to speak to her directly. I didn't do it because I'm not gonna freaking grind by either doing co-op or going back down to the Old Chaos where I have to fight three charred Knights at a time hoping they might drop a Loyce Soul. But anyway: This is how she looks.

If you don't care for the armor you unlock for giving her Souls and just want her Soul you can just kill her with a bow from downstairs. Guess how I got her Soul.

Soul of Alsanna, Silent Oracle
Soul of Alsanna, oracle of Eleum Loyce who prays in silent vigilance.
This child of Dark, in reverence of the apocalypse devotes herself to a ritual in hopes of appeasing the raging flame.

Eleum Loyce

Moveset/Weapon Class: Curved Sword
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 137 / 165
Scales with: STR (E), DEX (S)
Requirements: 18 STR, 27 DEX
Special Ability: The heavy attack makes it so you heal allies if you hit them with it. If you hit an enemy you will steal some if its health.

In-Game description:
Curved sword forged from the Soul of Alsanna.
Formed by two curious blades, this sword can restore an ally's HP with a hit from its strong attack.
The enigmatic Alsanna quietly found a place at the Ivory King's side, and when his strength was fully drained, he conferred this sword inscribed with the name of the land, to her.

Item Descriptions

Old Bell Helm
Helm forged from an ancient bell.
Appears to be a mere curiosity, but it is in fact quite practical. The top of the helm provides significant defense.
Note: Grants immunity to headshot damage and will ring the bell when hit in the head.

Ring of the Embedded
Ring crafted from the chains of the Embedded.
Receive various benefits, but at the cost of increased damage taken.
The chains of the Embedded have the power to transform people into slaves of pleasure, setting them on a path of ruin.
This ring augments that peculiar quality.
Note: It will increase some stats. The lower they are the greater the effect will be.

Hex: Dark Dance
Hex that unleashes a large mass of Dark. This momentous mass of Dark dances to signal the joy of its own release, or perhaps merely to taunt foes as it veers towards them.
Hexes are an expression of human depravity, of which this dance is a perfect example.

Eye of the Priestess
The eye of the First Priestess who watched over Eleum Loyce.
Allows one to see the unseen. All the great priestesses replaced one of their birth eyes with this, returning it after their term was complete

Ivory Warrior Ring
Ring of the guardians of Eleum Loyce. Attacks greatly reduce enemy stamina.
Eleum Loyce existed to subdue the raging flame, but when the ivory gates were flung open, the land grew cold and lifeless.

Sorcery: Soul Flash
One of the ancient sorceries that were lost when Eleum Loyce froze over. Rapidly fire a barrage of small souls.
Intended to protect its caster more than damage enemies.

Miracle: Splintering Lightning Spear
Developed from a primal miracle. Launch splintering spears of lightning.
Ever since miracles came to be, learned men have endeavored to rework and remold them to their satisfaction. This is one such effort

Ring of the Living
A ring bearing a sharp stud. Appear human when a phantom.
This ring jabs into the skin, creating a throbbing pain that serves as a constant reminder of one's humanity."
Note: I didn't pick this up on screen, but it's on a corpse near the entrance to the boss arena before the bridge.

Mirrah Hat
A hat from the land of Mirrah. An elite order of knights in a far land used this hat in a ceremonial capacity. Masterfully crafted, but of little practical use on the battlefield.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 20, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, I kinda went through the game in a manner that is a little weird for most people. The game expects you to hit a brick wall eventually and turn around to try something else. The sequence in this LP is almost the Sequence of my first playthrough and it's the one I use the most unless I go for something specific.

If you are looking for more Dark Souls II LPs you might want to give Dazzling Addar's LP a shot if you haven't already. Given that this is going to end next week her LP might be a good thing to check out next.
I was actually referring more to techniques on the use of various weapons, particularly when fighting bosses. (I'd been a fan of greatswords, curved greatswords, and halberds.) But varying the route can also be an interesting diversion.

As for the current episode, I'd ground for Loyce Souls by continually beating up the pre-boss Charred Loyce Knights, then teleporting out when the boss appeared. So long as you don't kill him, you don't have to deal with the bullshit of steadily increasing spawn timers or the lack of help against a trio of enemies. Plus it helped me to practice my two-handed UGS/twinblade skills.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Here's the NG++ video for Crown of the Ivory King wrapping it up. There's going to be one more update covering what was added in the latest patch. Originally it was supposed to be a brief bonus thing just going over some of the additions but we got a little more than we expected and it's now actually a nice way to end the LP. I mean, it's basically been spoiled to hell and back, this poo poo was thrown around casually just a few days after the patch hit but it's a kind of thing that I really wouldn't want to get spoiled. Video's done already. I just wanna wait until I have all the Audio for the final NG++ video before I release the final update. I'll also have to write up an infopost for it which has been the main reason for me only updating once a week for long periods of the LP because recording editing and commentating aka the bulk of the actual work is totally much easier than writing up a little post with some pictures thrown in for good measure. I usually had a small backlog which I didn't unleash precisely because I was too lazy to write the posts accompanying them. But hey, the end's in sight.

Meanwhile, have a picture of Stu Hart wrestling a Tiger. It's actually topical, in case you haven't seen the video yet.

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

For goodness' sake, guys, the Dragon was Ricky Steamboat!

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
You know, I was thinking that Souls LPs always seem to slow down in the final stretch. I think it's because the biggest appeal gameplay-wise (at least to me) is trying out new things; new weapons, spells, strategies etc. that you haven't before. "Maybe I'll do a cosplay run this time, maybe I'll focus on magic" and all that. By the end of it most of the available space is filled and there's not really much to talk about; you can't offer suggestions because your stats have pigeonholed you into a "build" and it's not like you can go back and fight bosses in a different way. Streaming DS1 for the first time kind of put that in relief; there were a lot of things I was planning to do in that run that I never got around to.

So even though you're showing off new content, it isn't as "interesting" as material from when the LP was young, is I guess what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, sorry I haven't been posting much, Iggy; been really busy the last couple weeks. Good to see all the co-op videos up (I do think you cut too much ;) ) and you have a good rapport with the other forum's co-commentators. Is (or I guess I should say "was" :v: ) pro wrestling really that big in Germany, like the David Hasselhoff stereotype, or are you kind of an outlier? I mean, it's not like I can reminisce about WCW with more than like 5% of the people I know, heh.

TurboJ9000 posted:

For goodness' sake, guys, the Dragon was Ricky Steamboat!

And seriously, this. It's right in his name!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Wayne posted:

Maybe I'll do a cosplay run this time, maybe I'll focus on magic"

Seeing as that mostly came from the NG++ character I still could have done that. Hell, I could have done it with the NG character at that point if I were willing to grind the materials for other weapons and all that good stuff but for the DLCs I wanted to mix things up a little by having a regular detailed playthrough as well as a video that goes through it more quickly. I wanted to release those at the same time as the last of the NG videos for each DLC came out so people had the option to watch one video or, like, five or seven. But due to delays this was not possible.

quote:

(I do think you cut too much)
Well, there IS a death reel I'll show at the end of the last NG++ video, but I'll also upload it separately too when the time comes (I think I died way more than you did)

quote:

Is (or I guess I should say "was" ) pro wrestling really that big in Germany, like the David Hasselhoff stereotype, or are you kind of an outlier?
Firstly: No one ever really liked Hasselhoff that much. He had one #1 hit and maybe one girl had him sign her boobs but that's it.
Wrestling, though, is... well it's not that popular either. And most of the stuff I know about wrestling is stuff I learned last year while "researching" for a "project" (a forum wrestling association using WWE2k14 to stream CPU matches with custom wrestlers based on forumites of a different forum). But I did watch WCW as a kid. Mostly because it was on free TV and you didn't have to subscribe to some cable channel, which was the case with WWF.

And while The Hoff is not even close to having been as popular as people make him out to be, Bret Hart was definitely a babyface any day of the week.

I also seriously did not know that Ricky Steamboat was also called the Dragon.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

IGgy IGsen posted:

I wanted to release those at the same time as the last of the NG videos for each DLC came out so people had the option to watch one video or, like, five or seven. But due to delays this was not possible.

Ahh, I see. It's a tough tightrope to walk. On the one hand, more content is [usually] better. On the other, unless you're doing something radically different playstyle-wise, you're basically watching the same thing twice. I heard a lot of DS2 fans in the early days saying "NG+ changes everything and it's so replayable now!" but... not so much. There are a few more red phantoms, the shops add a few more items, that's about it.

It's kind of funny to mention now, but when I saw the first couple videos (early on, the NG ones with the mace) I actually thought you were copying speedrunners and such, everybody in May/June playing DS2 online was using clubs/maces; and I almost stopped watching, heh.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Firstly: No one ever really liked Hasselhoff that much. He had one #1 hit and maybe one girl had him sign her boobs but that's it.
Wrestling, though, is... well it's not that popular either. And most of the stuff I know about wrestling is stuff I learned last year while "researching" for a "project" (a forum wrestling association using WWE2k14 to stream CPU matches with custom wrestlers based on forumites of a different forum).

You know, I'm not surprised. The first time I heard that "fact" was the TVTropes article, half the stuff there is over-inflated memes that kind of feeds on itself.

At the risk of wandering too far afield, is 2k14 any good? I haven't played a wrestling game in years, I keep hearing negative things about each release and never pull the trigger on one.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I also seriously did not know that Ricky Steamboat was also called the Dragon.

Ha ha, I think we can give you a pass on that one, he was almost before my time and I'm 32; I barely remember the NWA. He was definitely one of the best wrestlers in the late 80s (in that he was actually good, while most of the guys didn't really wrestle at all), worth YouTubing if you haven't in awhile. :) Permanent babyface as well.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Wayne posted:

At the risk of wandering too far afield, is 2k14 any good? I haven't played a wrestling game in years, I keep hearing negative things about each release and never pull the trigger on one.

I dunno, haven't actually played it much except on my own. I specifically bought it for that thing because I was drunk and thought it was a good idea. What I do know is that it's a very buggy game.

But anyway, Dark Souls II
Yeah, I was using the Mace in the beginning for three reasons: The first and most important one, for me at least, being that I'd never used it before. Second one was that I wanted to prove that a weapon from the beginning could carry you through the entire game (And I think I did even though I switched the Estoc, another weapon you can get almost right from the start). The last reason was that people seemed to agree it's good.
I disagree, though. It's very boring to play with the Mace. It's not even THAT good. A single hit will do a lot of damage for a weapon that light. But the range is bad and the attack speed is too slow. The moveset also sucks in general. It does have a more horizontal attack which would be useful in a lot of situations but it's a heavy one and comes out slower than the rest. I rarely use hammer type weapons anyway so I don't know how others compare. I do hear the Craftsman's hammer is really good, though. Has a moveset closer to a sword than a hammer. Which means it's faster. But it does strike damage of course, which is good against most things.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

It is pretty amusing how most weapons and builds are completely viable. Makes for lots of creativity and originality when playing, and the weapon variety is honestly one of the reasons I like this game more than DS1. I can only really think of a few weapons purposefully meant to be useless like the broken straightsword or some boss weapons that aren't completely viable. More difficult certainly, but absolutely viable. But my goodness did they drop the ball with the boss weapons in this game.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I feel like there are some...less desirable design decisions in this game. But I'm gonna give the game another go once the new version comes out. It was kinda fun and I'd like to see what all they change (and finally beat darklurker). Your vids have actually made me go from hating toss game to enjoying it. Thanks Iggy.

Dam I loved 90s wrestling.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

He's not wrestling with it, he's just trying to make it eat its worm tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This was some amazing quality LP, exploring even the DLC. Are they good value for money, do you think?

• Locked thread