Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I was one of the people who killed all the Skeleton Lords at once on my first try, I was using a Greatsword weapon so it was Mass Skeleton death when they all spawned at once, I'll also be the one to say it, Bonewheels are chumps, my Tower shield laughed at them. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I love the Skeleton Lords so much. :allears:

Hard fight, no, but the closest thing to intentional comedy that the Souls series has ever had. Three big enemies in lifeguard chairs made of bones, armies of spooky, spooky skeletons (including the iconic bonewheels), and perfectly cheesy music that sounds like something out of Nightmare Before Christmas.

No kidding; was grinning like an idiot the whole fight when I found them in my first playthrough, and I actually laughed out loud when the wheel skeletons showed up.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Dragonslayer Spear

This weapon disappointed me. Not just because of the mediocre strength, but the fact that the strong attacks no longer use the animation where you grip it by the crossbar, which had been a key factor in the original concept art for it. It wasn't even that great in the original game, but at least you had that little bit of flavor.

Also it felt goddamn glorious using it to slay the Hellkite Drake. :black101:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mazed posted:

I love the Skeleton Lords so much. :allears:

Hard fight, no, but the closest thing to intentional comedy that the Souls series has ever had. Three big enemies in lifeguard chairs made of bones, armies of spooky, spooky skeletons (including the iconic bonewheels), and perfectly cheesy music that sounds like something out of Nightmare Before Christmas.

No kidding; was grinning like an idiot the whole fight when I found them in my first playthrough, and I actually laughed out loud when the wheel skeletons showed up.

This weapon disappointed me. Not just because of the mediocre strength, but the fact that the strong attacks no longer use the animation where you grip it by the crossbar, which had been a key factor in the original concept art for it. It wasn't even that great in the original game, but at least you had that little bit of flavor.

I cheered IRL when the bonewheels showed up.
I co-opped the boss about 6 times because it's so much fun.
BOOONNNNEEEEWHEEEELLLSSSSSS

Edit: Merciless Rowenna's hat is the best dressup hat. Also gets you bonus souls from kills.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 22, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Mazed posted:

The weapon was still decent in the first game due to the lack of a sweet spot on it. Which makes more sense, to be honest, you're always gonna hit with the tip and pierce some skin, no matter what, after all. In Dark Souls II people tend to say spears in general are crap because you need mind your movement and distance a lot more to use them effectively. The damage that can be seen in the video, of course was an unupgraded Dragonslayer Spear on a NG++ Old Greatsword Knight but it's still not very good, though significantly better, even when upgraded.

And yeah, Bonewheels simply are the best enemies. Too bad they wont show up again.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
ahahaha I am so dense. I played quite a ways through the game before I gave up on it and never unlocked the gate to Huntsman's Copse. I never even imagined that an NPC would be right there to unlock the miracle door, so I just assumed I would pick up an item that would let me do it at some point.

I can (and do) blame myself, but I do think this is also a consequence of the immediate unlock of fast-travel: The need to travel over previously-explored ground is so diminished that it is easy to forget that the state of the world may change.

I felt like Dark Souls was about turning unknown dangerous ground to known dangerous ground. Dark Souls II (while I was playing it) felt like turning unknown dangerous ground into conquered ground, but the game doesn't actually support that mental model.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I ended up killing Skeleton Lord my first run too, mostly out of stupid luck because my weapon was at risk of breaking when I got to the past bonewheels so I had to action equip some repair powder while somehow dodging bonewheels at the same time. Somehow I managed to equip gold pine resin instead so I took a nice hit. :v: At the time I didn't realize it would've been a really good idea to keep a backup weapon for moments like that, but I know better now.

Fun fact: the Huntsman's Copse is the explorable area from the network beta test From did a few months before the game launched. :v:

poochiepoo
Oct 14, 2013
i found that it works best to jump and use a plunging attack to get the lock stone and the token of fidelty. the plunging attack prevents the rolling on landing and keeps you in place

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I ended up killing Skeleton Lord my first run too, mostly out of stupid luck because my weapon was at risk of breaking when I got to the past bonewheels so I had to action equip some repair powder while somehow dodging bonewheels at the same time. Somehow I managed to equip gold pine resin instead so I took a nice hit. :v: At the time I didn't realize it would've been a really good idea to keep a backup weapon for moments like that, but I know better now.

Fun fact: the Huntsman's Copse is the explorable area from the network beta test From did a few months before the game launched. :v:

Yeah he mentioned this fact in the video, its almost like people post before watching it. :v:

About Huntsman's Copse, I didn't really have too much an opinion on the place, its pretty cool being a dead forest full of hunters and naked hollows but its just so small a place and doesn't really have any interesting gimmicks.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 22, 2014

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

poochiepoo posted:

i found that it works best to jump and use a plunging attack to get the lock stone and the token of fidelty. the plunging attack prevents the rolling on landing and keeps you in place

I believe you can also fall from a hole in the bridge above and land directly on it.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
So I present to you all. The queer adventures of Sir Dongs part 1 hope you enjoy!

Video part 1

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
So that's what Binoboosting was. Wow, that's pretty insane. All you need now is blue skin and the bandit's spiked hat. I know binos are used with spellcasting, as well, but I don't know what kind of effect it has.

I believe they patched it in the latest versions?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

RSCNyx posted:

I know binos are used with spellcasting, as well, but I don't know what kind of effect it has.

It just helps you aim your spells over long distances. You hold the binos in your offhand and zoom in while firing. Not actually a glitch or bug, just kind of a useful trick.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeah, it's pretty cool for sniping enemies from outside your lock-on range. In the first games binocular didn't have that effect and no-scoping was one of the hardest techniques. It still is.

FailAtMagic posted:

So I present to you all. The queer adventures of Sir Dongs part 1 hope you enjoy!

Video part 1
In 15 minutes you got as far as I did in five videos varying between 20 and 35 minutes.
Also: I didn't actually know that you could do this with the binoculars. I only read about it in patch notes after they removed it. They did remove it, right?

And since someone requested it I started collecting some item descriptions to post them here. I'm not gonna post any that don't have lore or otherwise interesting bits in them at this point. I'll add these descriptions to the corresponding update posts and will add some more as I collect them.

Things Betwixt:
Darksign
Dark Souls II: An accursed mark. The Darksign induces death, returning the player to the last bonfire rested at, at the cost of all souls held.
Do what you must to gather the pieces, scraping them into some semblance of a whole, before the will to do so fades.
Dark Souls: The Darksign signifies an accursed Undead. Those branded with it are reborn after death, but will one day lose their mind and go Hollow.
Death triggers the Darksign, which returns its bearer to the last bonfire rested at, but at the cost of all humanity and souls.
Note: The description of the Darksign from the first game actually gives us significantly more info on lore and the way it works which is why I included it here. Also: The first game's description mentions humanity, which was an in-game item. Also a concept.

Human Effigy
A warm, soft, shadow-like effigy.
Use this item to reverse Hollowing. It also weakens the links to other worlds,vasions and most cooperation.
Peer closely at an effigy, and one begins to perceive a human form, but whose form it takes depends on the person looking.
Note: Opposed to the first game, where the loss of "humanity" was emphasized in the process of going hollow this time losing one's memory and self are the focus. That, however has always been an aspect of hollowing, they didn't add that in.

Humanity (Only in the first game. Here for reference)
Rare tiny black sprite found on corpses. Use to gain 1 humanity and restore a large amount of HP.
This black sprite is called humanity, but little is known about its true nature. If the soul is the source of all life, then what distinguishes the humanity we hold within ourselves?
Note: It's heavily implied that Humanities are fragments of the Dark Soul itself. We'll get a chance to learn a little more about what exactly this means later on into the LP. OR you could play the first game. Your call.

Cracked Red Eye Orb
Online play item. Invade other worlds.
Defeat the master of the world you have invaded to acquire a Token of Spite.
The residual sins of those who have succumbed to dark temptations are contained in the form of the Cracked Red Eye Orb

Small Smooth and Silky Stone
A smooth and silky stone. Use to slightly restore HP
The shine of this stone is no ordinary polish, and can only be achieved over a long period. Some in this land are in search of such stones.

Handmaid's Ladle
An ordinary kitchen ladle.
He who chooses this as a weapon either faces extenuating circumstances or has an odd sense of humor. If you care for your life, leave this one in the kitchen.

Majula:
Estus Flask
Dark Souls II: A green bottle of unknown make. Fill it with Estus at a bonfire, and drink from it to restore HP.
The nature of the link between the Estus flasks and the bonfires that illuminate the world of the Undead is entirely unknown. But that is of little concern, for any Undead knows the value of these precious flasks.
Dark Souls: The Undead treasure these dull green flasks. Fill with Estus at bonfire. Fills HP.
The Estus Flasks are linked to the Fire Keepers. The Dark Tales also make reference: An emerald flask, from the Keeper's soul. She lives to protect the flame, and dies to protect it further
Note:We're drinkin' liquid loving fire. And no, I don't think anyone knows what "the Dark Tales" actually are.

Divine Blessing
Dark Souls II: Holy water endowed with a divine blessing. Cures status effects and fully restores HP.
Water blessed by an ancient goddess. Her name is long forgotten, and the Magic Academy of Melfia denies even her existence.
In any age, there are those who refuse to see reason. It is their meddling that distorts the truth.
Dark Souls: Holy water from Goddess Gwynevere. Fully restore HP and undo irregularities.
The Goddess of Sunlight Gwynevere, daughter of the great Lord of Sunlight Gwyn, is cherished by all as the symbol of bounty and fertility.
Note: The fact that no one remembers Gwynevere's name is a pretty good sign that a very long time has passed between the two games. Gwynevere was the daughter of Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight. Essentially the equivalent to Zeus in greek mythology. He even throws lightning. You wouldn't forget the name and role of the daughter of someone that important, would you?

Homeward Bone
Dark Souls II: A white-ashen bone. Return to the last bonfire rested at.
Bonfires burn on the bones of Undead. And this bone, belonging to one whose journey was cut short, has the power to travel to bonfires. As if it yearns to resume its futile quest...
Dark Souls : Bone fragment reduced to white ash. Return to last bonfire used for resting.
Bonfires are fueled by the bones of the Undead. In rare cases, the strong urge of their previous owner's to seek bonfires enchants their bones with a homeward instinct.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Your audio is awfully quiet for the Dongs run, Magic. I had a hard time hearing you.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

In 15 minutes you got as far as I did in five videos varying between 20 and 35 minutes.
Also: I didn't actually know that you could do this with the binoculars. I only read about it in patch notes after they removed it. They did remove it, right?

Yes they did remove it mostly because you could use it in pvp (which was kinda hilarious at start but very quickly got annoying)

ZenVulgarity posted:

Your audio is awfully quiet for the Dongs run, Magic. I had a hard time hearing you.

I'll try to do something about that next part

poochiepoo
Oct 14, 2013

GodspeedSphere posted:

I believe you can also fall from a hole in the bridge above and land directly on it.

i always thought that that might be possible but i never had the guts to try it. after soo many hours of d* souls i build an imunity to try jumping messages.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

All right, rest of the item descriptions so far below. I'll upload a new video as soon as SGDQ has a couple runs I don't care about in a row.

Forest of Fallen Giants
Green Blossom:
Green weed shaped like a leafy flower. Temporarily boosts stamina recovery speed.
At one point, this herb was avoided due to its uniquely bitter taste, but once its effects became known, it was harvested to near extinction by merchants.
Now, only exceptionally rare, wild specimens of this plant are left.

Ring of Restoration
A protective ring passed down in House Osteria. Gradually restores HP.
In the sacred land of Lindelt, this ring symbolized prosperity and longevity for the great House of Osteria.
But the ring is fragile and breaks easily, as if it hates being taken for granted.

Seed of a Tree of Giants
When the giants fell, they grew into great trees. Death is not the end, for anything that has ever once lived remains a part of a great cycle of regeneration.
But what of those outside of the cycle?

Titanite Slab
Titanite Slab used to reinforce equipment. Reinforces equipment up to +10.
Titanite was discovered in an ancient layer of earth, and is said to be a gift of the gods. One of the original slabs that provided the world with all forms of titanite.
Titanite slabs were created to smith the weapons of the gods, or so the legends say.

Witching Urn
A small clay urn filled with magic power. Explodes, inflicting magic damage.
Created in Melfia, a land that flourishes with magic and pyromancy. Though the magic contained in the urn lacks potency, it is a boon to any inexperienced traveler.

Hunter's Hat
A leather hat with a large brim. Traditionally used by bow hunters.
The hunting goddess Evlana was no goddess at all, but rather a brave and highly skilled bow huntress. Long after her demise, the passing of lore transformed her into a deity.
Note: In Dark Souls it was called Pharis' hat contrast the description of Pharis' Hat below.

Pharis' Hat (from Dark Souls)
Broad-brimmed hat favored by the archer hero Pharis.
Pharis was an accomplished archer, and though he was human, he ranked alongside Hawkeye Gough, one of the Four Knights of Lord Gwyn. His hat is universally popular among children.
Note: The character wearing and dropping the hat upon defeat is female not male. But she is never explicitly named.

Drangleic Armor Set
Belonged to Captain Drummond.
Drummond's ancestors have served Drangleic for generations, principally as defenders of the great fort, but Captain Drummond is the last in this proud line.
Note: In the video I said that a character we meet much later lets us in on the fact that we war against the Giants lasted for generations. But this set actually does as well.

Heide's Tower of Flame
Sublime Bone Dust
Charred, ashen bones.
Cast them into the Far Fire in Majula to increase the HP restored with each use of your flask.
They say these are the remains of a saint who cast himself into the bonfire. But we will never know for sure, for soot and ashes tell no story.
Note:It's not clear whether it's referring to a saint who cast himself into any bonfire or someone who linked the fire. Linking the fire was one of the possible endings in Dark Souls. After lighting the final bonfire after the final boss the First Flame would be re-lit, burning the one who did it alive in the process. If it's referring to that it confirms that the Link the Fire ending is canon. However there's still more to learn about that later on.

Lloyd's Talisman
Dark Souls II: Talisman used by cleric knights. Blocks Estus recovery within a limited area.
It is said that the cleric knights used these talismans to hunt down accursed Undead.
Cleric knights fight with pride, and by blocking the recovery of the Undead, they can also fight with impunity.
Dark Souls: Talisman utilized by Allfather Lloyd's cleric knights to hunt down the Undead. Blocks Estus recovery within a limited area. In the outside world, the Undead are accursed creatures, and Lloyd's cleric knights are widely praised for their Undead hunts. This blessed talisman blocks Undead recovery, allowing the knights to fight with impunity.
Note: Allfather Lloyd was the brother of Gwyn, the highest ranking deity from Dark Souls. It's interesting to note that while other item descriptions make a point of obscuring origins, uses and other facts of items these two descriptions are remarkably similar. Coincidency? Probably. The only thing left out is Lloyd's name.

Old Knight Halberd
An undated halberd.
Wielded by a warrior from a time so ancient that there exists no record of his endeavors. Has extremely low durability. Sometimes, just as a thing falls to pieces, it unleashes its last flash of great power...

Huntsman's Copse
Undead Lockaway Key
Key to the prison in the Huntsman's Copse.
The Undead hunts during the reign of the Iron King took place in this forest, and the cells in which the Undead were held still stand there to this day. However, the march of time has eroded any difference between the captors and the captives.

Black Hollow Mage Set
worn by Hollowed Drangleic mages.
Drangleic mages wore different garb depending on their sex. What function this served, however, is unknown, as with many old practices. This is a women's hood/robe.
Note: We didn't get it in the video. It's a rare drop from the Necromancers and they don't respawn.

Warlock Mask
Strange mask worn by Aldia warlocks. Grants dark defense, and increased soul acquisition.Warlocks in Aldia gave rise to wicked things, and even forbidden rituals upon themselves. No one knows if they were born mad, or if their own misdeeds drove them over the edge.
Effect: Increases number of Souls acquired by 2.5%
Note: Drops from Merciless Roenna, so we didn't get it either. To grind I'd need to use Bonfire ascetics to make her respawn.

Ricard's Rapier
Dark Souls II: An exquisitely decorated rapier.
Said to belong to a prince who appears in an ancient tale.
There are numerous variations of the story of the prince who wandered the lands and eventually became Undead.
The majority of these tales end in tragedy. but there are some exceptions.
Dark Souls: A rapier with intricate decorations. Chosen weapon of the famous Undead Prince Ricard. Ricard's exploits are told in a monomyth. He was born into royalty, but wandered the lands in a fateful ill-conceived journey. He became Undead and disappeared up North.
Note: A monomyth, according to Wiktionary is a cyclical journey or quest undertaken by a mythical hero. In Dark Souls we find someone who presumably is Ricard, since he's using the Rapier in Sen's Fortress. He wears the Elite Knight Set.

Soul Spear
Dark Souls II: Sorcery that fires souls shaped into a spear. Pierces enemies, causing heavy damage.
This spells was said to have been devised by a master sorcerer, but his name is long forgotten.
Dark Souls :Sorcery developed by Big Hat Logan. Fire piercing soul spear.
A symbol of Logan's strength, the soul spear is referenced repeatedly in the legends, and is said to be on par with Lord Gwyn's lightning

Pharros' Lockstone
Stone activating a creation of Pharros the Vagabond.
Pharros the Vagabond was a legend who wandered the lands, creating contraptions to help those in sincere and dire need.
The scope of his travels was so wide that the Pharros has been mistakenly credited with many inventions that were crafted by others

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 27, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Thanks for the item descriptions. It's really cool to see the way the world has developed in the time since Dark Souls 1.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I've wondered who was going to take up the Dark Souls 2 mantel.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I don't think that "link the fire" is the "canon" ending for DS1. As we learn in DS2 there probably were many cycles that could have ended either way before the events of DS2.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said there would be more to learn about that later on. I just didn't want to mention it until the game clues us in.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Poison! Poison everywhere! But our real foe is gravity.

The Elite Knight Set was the iconic set of Armor from the first game. It was featured in a ton of promo art and on all of the box art in one way or another. It's also my favorite set from the first game.

I'm not really too happy with this outfit but it's the first time we wear what I would qualify as Heavy armor: The Drakekeeper set. It would probably better had I not decided to use the Royal Soldier helm. But still, we are well protected. If you can wear something as heavy as this and stay under 70% equip load so you don't get the fat roll there isn't really anything that should stop you. Aside maybe from the slightly slower stamina regeneration due to the higher equip load.

Covetous Demon

The Covetous Demon is a rather easy boss. While he does have some moves that can catch you off guard your first time around he is rather slow and the moves have rather obvious tells. The basic strategy should be to get away whenever he starts moving his arms or stands suspiciously still. Staying by his side and waiting for him to attack is generally a good idea. He can attempt to hit you with either of his arms. Unless your far enough away to retreat you should dodge against the attack. He can also raise his entire body and drop it on you. Sometimes he drives this to the logical extreme and just jumps into the air right onto you if you decide to just stand there picking your nose. Very rarely he'll also spit a yellow substance, which is acid. It doesn't deal a lot of damage but degrades your gear's durability.

The last of his attacks that he does when in front of you is probably also the nastiest: He'll just slurp you up and chew on you for a bit. After spitting you out you'll be butt naked. Don't worry, your gear isn't gone but you'll have to equip it again which can be quite a task in a boss fight. When near his Tail he'll obviously sometimes try to hit you with it. Rather than sweeping he raises it and smashes it down on the ground several times.

And now for my favorite attack: The roll over! When hugging his sides he'll eventually do this. He'll stand still for about a second or so and then roll over, crushing you in the process. Unless of course you run away. He'll then be lying on his side. If he's facing you with his back he'll roll again after a couple seconds. When facing his exposed underbelly he'll flop around like a fish out of the water instead. Well worth running to the other side of him just to see that.

If you have trouble with him somehow you can whip out a crossbow or bow and aim for the jars hanging over the arena. You'll need Heavy Bolts or Iron Arrows to do that. You can conveniently get a Crossbow with Heavy Bolts in the side area that requires you to perform a silly jump that'll probably kill you. If you hit those jars a hollow will fall out. The Covetous Demon well crawl towards it and eat it. While eating his defenses are raised significantly and you'll only be able to do chip damage. They probably intended that to be a way to heal during the fight, but if you find the time to aim at a jar up above and shoot it you could also heal in that same time.

And yes, he is somewhat reminiscent of the forever alone meme. Let's not talk about that, please.

Boss Weapons
Soul of the Covetous Demon, that devours all things.
Eating is an expression of desire. There once was a man whose deep affections were unrequited. He transformed into the Covetous Demon, which only made him lonelier than before.

Bone Scythe

Moveset/Weapon Class: Reaper
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 112/280
Scales with: STR (B)
Requirements: 28 STR, 20 DEX
Damage Type: Slash

In-Game Description:
Scythe forged from the soul of the Covetous Demon.
The curved spine of the Covetous Demon is hard as rock, and rather than slicing through flesh, this weapon seems to grind it apart.
That thing that ended up as a monstrous fiend, what was it to begin with, and why did it never leave the queen? Perhaps it was entranced by some perversion of love

Covenant: Heirs of The Sun (Fanboy -Covenant)
Ah yes... how could they not acknowledge the memetic ascension of sun worship from the first game. There's little reason for this covenant to be in the game aside from fanservice and to have a dedicated co-op covenant. To level it up you just do co-op. As long as you're in the covenant your summon sign and phantom will have an orange color rather than the usual white. Every time you help someone or are being helped by someone in the covenant you will receive a Sunlight Medal. But only one per fight.

For joining the Covenant you get the Sun Seal, slightly increases miracle damage.
For offering 10 Sunlight Medals you will receive the Sunlight Parma, the fan-made fan-service shield featuring Solaire
For offering 20 Sunlight Medals you get the Sun Sword, which is one of the better plain Straight Swords in the game.
For offering 30 Sunlight Medals you get the Sunlight Spear, the most powerful version of Lightning Spear.

Item Descriptions
Sun Seal
Ring of the Heirs to the Sun covenant. Slightly increases miracle attack power.
Worship of the sun, now a lost belief, was once widespread amongst great warriors.
Members of this covenant can leave their golden signs to be more easily summoned to join their brethren in jolly cooperation."

Sunlight Parma
A small shield depicting a hero of yore.
Perhaps these famed champions are no more, or perhaps they have no desire appear in public view.
But their very absence has made tales of their brave deeds all the more alluring, and this shield memorializes one of their brethren
Note: The shield features a yellow silhouette of Solaire of Astora, kinda cool character from the first game who ascended to becoming a meme, sadly.

Sun Sword
Dark Souls II: A well-forged long sword. Of unknown origin, and exhibiting no special power, but sturdily crafted.
Perhaps it does not live up to its name, but nevertheless, merely wielding this sword seems to cause warmth to well up within one's bosom.
Dark Souls: This standard longsword, belonging to Solaire of Astora, is of high quality, is well-forged, and has been kept in good repair.
Easy to use and dependable, but unlikely to live up to its grandiose name.
Note: In the first game it was actually called Sunlight Straight sword and dropped after killing Solaire. The description makes a point of it not having any special powers, much like the flavour text for all of Solaire's Gear from the first game

Miracle: Sunlight Spear
Dark Souls II: A miracle that launches a spear of sunlight. Powered with immense wondrous souls.
One of the ancient original miracles, said to have existed from infancy of the very world.
Dark Souls: Miracle born from the fading soul of Gwyn. Hurl sunlight spear.
In the war that marked the dawn of the Age of Fire, Gwyn wielded these rays of sunlight, which remains fierce even as they fade.

Fragrant Branch of Yore
A Fragrant tree branch with a faint sweet smell. Restore the life of things turned to stone. Extended inhalation of the branch's scent can lead to coughing and nausea.

Hexing Urn
Hexed black lacquer urn. Explodes, inflicting dark damage.
With the dark art of hexing strictly forbidden, who would dare fill an urn with such power?
The very origin of the art are unclear, yet another reason hexing is feared.

Fire Seed
A tiny waning flame. Used to strengthen a pyromancy flame.
A pyromancy flame serves as the catalyst for pyromancies, and scales the strength of each spell according to its level. Fire is a common object of worship, It can never be grasped, and its mystery stokes human imagination.
Note: In the first game you could just upgrade your pyromancy flame like that making it possible to have ludicrously powerful magic early on. Fire Seeds put a damper on that balancing Pyromancy a bit, since you need special items to upgrade the Pyromancy Flame.

Sorcery: Chameleon
Dark Souls II: A sorcery that dates farther back than recollection. Allows you to blend into your surroundings.
Those who fear the unseen are cowards.Those who never doubt their eyes are fools.
Dark Souls: Ancient sorcery of the lost land of Oolacile. Transform into something inconspicuous.
A separate stealth spell from Hidden Body. A skilled stealth sorcerer must be aware of his or her surrounding and of which objects are prime candidates for imitation.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 30, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Melentia is pretty much the exact same as the Old Woman from the Valley of Defilement in Demons Souls, right down to begging you to buy things and having a creepy laugh.

The Old woman was more annoying to find though since she, like all merchants in Demons would move to different stages once you progressed.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

creepy laugh.

Are you trying to tell me that's not a thing every Dark Souls character has?
Admittedly, they toned that down for Dark Souls II for some reason. I think the type of laugh was originally supposed to give a little insight into the character's personalities, seeing as they only speak and don't actually use body language or anything. I don't really think it's necessary but it was part of the charm at the very least.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Torches are surprisingly useful in more areas than the one you were thinking of. In this case, it makes it a lot easier to see in the poison fog if you have a torch lit. There's a later area where you can see where the water is shallow or deep if you have a torch lit!

poochiepoo
Oct 14, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Melentia is pretty much the exact same as the Old Woman from the Valley of Defilement in Demons Souls, right down to begging you to buy things and having a creepy laugh.

The Old woman was more annoying to find though since she, like all merchants in Demons would move to different stages once you progressed.

Ohh god that merchant. I accidently agroed her and she "chased" me through 5-1. In her slow, unrelenting walk. Kinda like Micheal Meyers.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

omeg posted:

I don't think that "link the fire" is the "canon" ending for DS1. As we learn in DS2 there probably were many cycles that could have ended either way before the events of DS2.

Yeah, the description for Ricard's Rapier seems to suggest this.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Melentia seems less creepy and more just a bit loopy, but way, way tougher and cleverer than she looks -- a survivor who comes across as deeply scarred to most, but to her, the joke is on everyone else. If the game had more dialogue, I get the impression she'd have weird anecdotal stories to tell about all the places you visit.

Also I like how it's unclear as to whether or not she's undead, or just really, really, really friggin' old.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The jump in earthen peak can be cheesed with the drop attack, because then you won't actually roll after landing.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Well drat. It never occured to me that you could just do that to cheese a couple of the tougher jumps. Sadly, I think, there aren't any more jumps that would benefit from that in the game. But perhaps I'll find some way to implement it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

If Solaire is a meme, it's one of the few tolerable ones. :colbert:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

For the tricky jumps you can also turn just as you land. Seems to work well for me.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

This area is slightly reminiscent of Sen's Fortress in that there area total of two (2) traps and a couple narrow bridges you can fall off of when being hit by pendulum blades. Which are also imaginary.
I also forgot one item that's really well hidden. Click on the ring next to the episode banner to see that. I normally wouldn't have made an extra video there but this is just something most people probably won't find. I mean, I didn't know about it until I happened to spot the hint while watching the video back.

Genocyber posted:

Uh the Pike is really loving awful. It has some lance moves, like Pate's Spear, but obscenely low damage; you can't really get more than ~260 AR, making it pretty much the weakest spear.
This is 100% correct, I confused the Pike with a different weapon because I am apparently very stupid.

Guy Diealot gets a break this time and instead Stabitha takes over. Doesn't she look just sweet with Lucatiel's torso piece as well as some unspecified black leggings? I don't really like the brownish red Lucatiels trousers have myself. The Elite Knight helm she's wearing is basically the new black. It goes with almost anything. She's using two Rapiers, which are thrusting swords. The way I play it I flat-out refuse to use a shield but most others who go for a build that focuses on power-stancing any type of weapon tend to use a shield regardless. Even when not using a shield you can parry with the Rapier's heavy attack.

Mytha, the Baneful Queen

Upon first entering her Arena you will most likely notice that the entire floor is covered in poison and upon damaging her you will notice that the poison heals her. After trying that a couple times you might get frustrated and wonder whether there's a trick to it all. You need to drain the poison by setting fire to the windmill blades by the second bonfire. This will drain all the liquid poison from Earthen Peak and Harvest Valley save for some in the outer ring of Mytha's arena. With the poison gone she's not too bad anymore.

With her spear she can slash and thrust and even swing it around 360°, you need to pay attention to her movements to figure out how to dodge properly. At medium range she'll also perform a dashing thrust to close the distance. She has a thrust, thrust, slash combo the last hit of which can throw you off as you will expect another thrust.

Of course her spear is not her only weapon. She also uses her tail to inflict the hurt on the player. She can swing it, which does a moderate amount of damage. If you're not very careful she also has a chance of wrapping it right around you to squeeze the life out of you for great damage.

Her final weapon is her catalyst. Which is her own freaking head. It can shoot a spread of magic projectiles at you. This isn't too hard to dodge but can catch you off guard. And finally she just might loving THROW HER HEAD AT YOU AND MAKE IT EXPLODE! She'll then dive in to retrieve it and possibly do it again later. This is seriously the best attack and while my aim isn't to show every attack of every boss I had to draw out the fight until she did this and I hope you appreciate that.

It's completely possible to do the fight with her in a poisoned arena. The only time I did it it took me plenty of tries and a lot of life gems to offset the poison. It's not really worth it. They kinda expect you to drain the poison. Sadly, they don't really give you any solid hint on how to do that.

Lore-wise she's pretty interesting, actually. Gilligan gives us most of the info. The King she's been engaged to was probably the Iron King which we know nothing about yet, except that maybe his domain is the Iron Keep which we've seen briefly at the end of the video. But the King fancied another. This made Mytha very very sad. It is said that she was very beautiful but being rejected was a big punch to her ego and she didn't feel pretty anymore. To capture the heart of the king she decided she needed to become more beautiful. So she did the most logical thing and immersed herself in poison which turned her into a snake monster. Or Naga as the kids these days call it.

Concerning her decapitation I don't think we have a clear answer. One theory is that she couldn't bear people looking at her anymore. So she cut their heads off. Which is why the manikins are headless. It might also explain the Grave Warden's presence, seeing as they hide their faces behind cloth and are probably blind (their natural habitat is in darkness, as we will see later). Then there's the desert sorceresses, which at least somewhat hide their eyes under a hood. Eventually she couldn't even bear to look at herself in a mirror and cut her own head off. Another theory I hear more often is that Mytha was decapitated for some sort of crime. She then also decapitated her subjects because if she can't have a head why should they?

Boss Weapons
Soul of Mytha, the Baneful Queen, who lives in the Earthen Peak.
The Queen sought the King's affection, even poisoning herself to attain beauty, despite the monstrous consequences. All for the compelling madness known as love.
Give her soul to Straid to make...

Weapon

Moveset/Weapon Class: Dagger
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 40/100
Poison Damage (+0/+5): 67/100
Scales with: DEX (B)
Requirements: 5 STR, 20 DEX
Damage Type: Slash & Thrust
Note: Apparently does build toxic in addition to poison. Toxic is just a nastier version of poison that does more damage. I also said that it can be infused with poison in the video. That was wrong. You can't do that.

In-Game Description:
Dagger forged from the soul of Mytha, the Baneful Queen. Coated with a potent poison.
Mytha was the fairest queen in the land, until something unhinged her. Was it the poison found deep within the earth, or the passion that consumed her heart?

Item Descriptions
Mirrah Shield
Shield issued to the proud knights of Mirrah's official order.
In Mirrah, a land perennially beset by unrest, this shield was a symbol of the great knights' strength and willingness to give their lives for their country.
Note: Lucatiel and Creighton are both from Mirrah.

Twinkling Titanite
A form of titanite with special power. Reinforce equipment that cannot normally be reinforced up to +5.
What cosmic event could have created such a powerful class of titanite?

Miracle: Lightning Spear
Dark Souls II: A miracle that launches a spear of lightning.
Said to be the legacy of an ancient clan whose leader was revered as the God of Sun.
The name of the clan has been lost to time, but the gross incandescence of our magnificent father shall never wane.
Dark Souls: Miracle passed down to those bound by the Warrior of Sunlight covenant. Hurl lightning spear. Lightning spears inflict rare lightning damage, and are very effective against magic, fire, and most of all, dragons.
Note: The Dark Souls II description is a fanservie overdose. Don't get me wrong, Solaire was a cool, although slightly insane, character in the first game, but there's no reason to just use quotes that have turned into memes. At least it's the same franchise and not as bad as Castlevania: Lords of Shadow literally informing us that the Cake is a Lie.

Desert Sorceress' Set
Sorceress hood from the distant land of Jugo. Appears to be a plain, thin fabric, but is permeated with powerful magic.
Desert Sorceresses have enchanting looks, and they use them to catch people off guard.
Oddly enough, even those who are perceptive enough to realize the ploy fall prey to their seductions with alarming regularity.

Manikin Mask
Mask of the Manikins of Harvest Valley. A fickle queen gave them life, and tore off their faces. How else could she forgive those who dared gaze upon her?

Spell Quartz Ring
A ring bestowed upon students of a certain standard at the Melfian Magic Academy. Its soul-based quartz increases magic defense.
Pyromancer Glocken crafts these replicas, much to the dismay of the conservative old-guard faculty.

Okay, here's a biggie. I wrote an entire essay on this jarring transition. I basically try to make sense of it with tons of math and science. There's at least one diagram I'd need a fourth dimension for to work properly. It really isn't for the faint of heart and it wouldn't quite fit in here and people who followed either of the Dark Souls II threads on SA will be sick and tired of this subject already so here's a google doc anyone can edit.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 5, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I do love how you go straight from a Windmill full of Poison to literally Bowser's Castle immediately after, its a pretty goofy transition.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The windmill gimmick is probably the stupidest thing in the game. On the other hand, killing Mytha with the poison still there is really satisfying. Also it's a pretty big dick move that the ember is after her. If you (like me) didn't figure out that you're supposed to burn a metal axle :pseudo: and killed her as the last thing you could do no infusions for you for a long time.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

What's the opposite of Peak? Kaep. So, logically, the elevator did the opposite action it's supposed to do in order to continue the trend.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uh the Pike is really loving awful. It has some lance moves, like Pate's Spear, but obscenely low damage; you can't really get more than ~260 AR, making it pretty much the weakest spear.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This game is actually the exact opposite, spatially, to Dark Souls. Dark Souls takes place within two main areas--Undead Burg (which leads up to the parish, aside to the forest, below it is Lower Undead Burg/Depths/Blighttown, and from there branches to Great Hollow/Ash Lake or Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith). It also has the side fortress at Sen's with a teleport to Anor Londo. Otherwise, there's the intertwining bits of Tomb of the Giants (below the long, vertical Catacombs) and New Londo Ruins, with everything making sense overall. The idea is that this is just one small chunk of Lordran. One undead city, with all its surrounding areas, and two ruined cities nearby-ish. The Undead Burg is the most recent of the three cities located near each other, with Anor Londo of course being the special walled-keep that these were built around.

Dark Souls II doesn't have any of that, it is purposefully tying in several major locations on one continent. The very beginning of the game. features you being dragged into a teleport and dropped in a dimensional crack that apparently draws in multiple travelers. You can stand on the beach with the coffin and look out at an expanse of water, then walk maybe a couple hundred yards to find yourself at a completely different oceanside view that doesn't relate back to Things Betwixt at all. And then if you go into what is ostensibly the area underneath Things Betwixt, you hit the Forest of Fallen Giants, which has its own skybox.

This doesn't even touch on the fact that Heide's Tower of Flame is seemingly miles away from Majula, even though the walk there is through one sewer tunnel. Or how HToF isn't even visible from Huntsman's Copse/Undead Purgatory, even though they should be practically towering over the area

Basically yeah you're right, a wizard did it. None of the transitions in the game actually fit together, and it's almost definitely because the designers were focused on making things varied and interesting instead of perfectly pieced together. I'd take the former over the latter any day of the week. It's disorienting and hammers in the fact that nothing in Drangleic makes sense.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The thing that bothers most people is that while Dreangelic is obviously not coherent mapwise as a game, all the passages but Peak > keep can plausibly represent a larger distance of traveltime. Peak > Keep is nonsensical in total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bread Liar

omeg posted:

If you (like me) didn't figure out that you're supposed to burn a metal axle :pseudo:

I don't think you're actually burning the axle, just the grease on the axle. That's why the windmill blades are still there and things just slowly ground to a halt.

• Locked thread