Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scags
Nov 12, 2005
Asheron's Call 2 is back from the grave, 9 years after its heartbreaking shutdown. I guess it has been back for a little while now, but there hasn't been any advertising so I just found out about it. If you've been missing it, come on back. If you're new and think this looks interesting, you should definitely join up. This game has great atmosphere and the most unique character classes that I have ever seen in an MMO.

Getting the Game

The game is $10 and the subscription fee is gone as of next month. If you subscribe you can start playing now and won't have to pay the monthly fee, since it ends before your 30 days of gametime are up. When you buy Asheron's Call 1 you get Asheron's Call 2 for free.

Buy Asherons Call 1 here:

https://www.asheronscall.com/en

Make an account, download the Asheron's Call 2 Client, and you're in.

Classes and Races

http://www.ac2wiki.info/index.php/Character_Classes

There are 3 primary races and each race has 2 classes for each category: Melee, Missile, and Magic. There are 2 expansion races: Empyreans only have 1 class for each discipline and Drudge only has one skill tree. Class descriptions stolen from ac2wiki.info or hastily made up by me.

Human Melee

Bounty Hunter - Human Melee Characters that have higher Damage skills, can use weapons in both hands and have unique skills to improve the chance to do extra triggers (critical damage, lucky events, etc.). They have bonus when striking from behind or sides so they are usually moving around the target.

Defender - Human Melee Characters that have higher Armor Rating, stronger Shield abilities and a good capacity for self healing. They can take a lot of Melee Damage so they are usually played as tanks. They build agro from mobs using shield attacks, stuns and also use taunts to increase threat. They also have some party buffs and a lot of targeted heals.

Human Ranged

Alchemist - Human Missile Characters that have higher Damage abilities. They have two different sub-classes: the Dark Side Alchemist and the "Light" Side Alchemist. Light side has some capacity for Crowd Control. They can't take a lot of Melee or Magic Damage and are usually played as DPS. They have limited self healing capacity. Light Side Alchemists throw explosive/poisonous vials and do ranged damage. Dark Side alchemists drink a potion to turn into the Hulk and smash. All alchemists can breath fire.

Ranger - Missile Characters that have higher Damage abilities. They can have pets and also have some party buffs. They can't take a lot of Melee or Magic Damage and are usually played as DPS. They have limited self healing capacity. They get a Lasher (a cat-scorpion hybrid) as a pet and use Bows.

Human Magic

Enchanter - Human Magic Characters that have higher buff abilities to enhance the groups power, some debuffs to cripple monsters, and a good capacity for crowd control. They can't take a lot of Melee or Missile Damage and are usually played as support/DPS. They can mezz. They buff the party. They have strong debuffs like reducing the armor and skills from the mobs. They have limited self healing capacity.

Sorcerer - Sorcerers are Human Magic Characters that have strong Debuff abilities, good party buffs to enhance the group power, and a good capacity for damage dealing. They can't take a lot of Melee or Missile Damage and are usually played as DPS. They reduce the armor and skill from the mobs using debuff attacks and also use attack skills to deal damage. They have limited self healing capacity.

Tumerok Melee

Feral Intendant - These guys are sword/board tanks. They are easy to play, fun, and incredibly strong.

Zealot - Melee damage dealers. They wield dual claws and apply tons of bleeds.

Tumerok Ranged

Hive Keeper - Shoots BEES. Does really good DPS and has some party buffs/heals.

Claw Bearer - Uses a Jai Alai/lacrosse stick to fling deadly balls at your opponent.

Tumerok Magic

Healer - Yep.

Invoker - Summon your ancestors to do your bidding! A pet class.

Lugian Melee

Berserker - Dual wield swords and do massive damage. Really strong single target and AOE abilities.

Juggernaut - Wields a giant curved blade thing (think of one of those rocking pizza cutters). These guys do %maxhp damage and are great against bosses. They are a mix of tanky and DPS.

Lugian Ranged

Raider - Throw bowling balls at your enemies heads! These guys do great damage from long range and have some CC.

Tactician - A very interesting classes. Can set up two turrets (each with a 30 minute cooldown) and camp a location. They can also build walls and buff their turrets. This class is almost completely immobile. Excellent for setting up camp in a heavily mobbed area and pulling enemies to your turrets. Fun and interesting but a very different playstyle from everything else.

Lugian Magic

Sage - Lugian Magic Characters that have very strong Healing Skills, Vigor(mana) Regeneration and Crowd Control. They are usually played as healers. They have a lot of targeted heals that help him and others to stay alive, they heal party vigor and they can mezz extra mobs, keeping groups under control. When Sages become Heroes they can revive players from death.

Elementalist - Elementalist are Lugian Magic Characters that can summon pets to help in combat and have high damage skills. They are usually played as DPS. They have a lot of pets and pet related skills that help him and others to tank mobs and control adds, they can do high damage and help the fellow kill the monsters faster. They summon rock golems and elementals.

Empyreans

There is nothing on the wiki about this race and I've never played them!

Drudge

A melee only race with no class selection. All drudges are drudges and they smack people with nailboards!

Guild Stuff

I am currently in decent pubby Allegiance, filled with nice folks, and would gladly start a goon Allegiance if there is any interest! You can contact me in game as Gizmoduck or Gizmosnail.

Resources
https://www.ac2hero.info

Scags fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is Asheron's Call 1 going to drop the monthly fee as well? I think I misunderstood the OP. I just bought AC tho for AC2.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.

I said come in! posted:

Is Asheron's Call 1 going to drop the monthly fee as well? I think I misunderstood the OP. I just bought AC tho for AC2.

yes AC1 will go f2p as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

evelyn87 posted:

yes AC1 will go f2p as well.

I am going to play both at the same time then, this is great news.

My cd-key I just bought for Asherons Call does not work. :smith:

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.

I said come in! posted:

I am going to play both at the same time then, this is great news.

My cd-key I just bought for Asherons Call does not work. :smith:

Call them, they're actually p helpful over the phone.

855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637) or 781-407-4020
ENGLISH PHONE SUPPORT
Weekdays:12pm - 7pm Eastern Standard Time
Weekends:12pm - 7pm Eastern Standard Time

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

evelyn87 posted:

Call them, they're actually p helpful over the phone.

855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637) or 781-407-4020
ENGLISH PHONE SUPPORT
Weekdays:12pm - 7pm Eastern Standard Time
Weekends:12pm - 7pm Eastern Standard Time

I tried attaching it to an already existing account and ended up just making a new one and that worked.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Yeah they are super helpful over the phone. I never played AC2 as I was to invested in AC to move on. I just loved the itemization and skill system to much and ac2 just seemed to different.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've played AC1 and from what i've played of AC2 so far tonight, I like AC2 more because it controls so much better. I never got far in AC1 though and they seem like similar games right now.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I have also never played AC1, but I have heard great things. Luckily, we get access to both! What race and class did you pick, I said come in!? I am still pretty low level but I might have a Soulbound Weapon Token I can give you. You'll do that quest around level 15-18ish (You get a great weapon as a reward) and the tokens can be hard to find.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Scags posted:

I have also never played AC1, but I have heard great things. Luckily, we get access to both! What race and class did you pick, I said come in!? I am still pretty low level but I might have a Soulbound Weapon Token I can give you. You'll do that quest around level 15-18ish (You get a great weapon as a reward) and the tokens can be hard to find.

Human, and i'm just going down the melee tree. I'm level 10 right now. My screen name is omgitsbees.

I hope we can get an allegiance going! This game is old school as hell but I kinda like that a lot. :) However, i'll be away from my PC for two weeks starting on Sunday, but i'll try to find time to play more before then.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Human, and i'm just going down the melee tree. I'm level 10 right now. My screen name is omgitsbees.

I hope we can get an allegiance going! This game is old school as hell but I kinda like that a lot. :) However, i'll be away from my PC for two weeks starting on Sunday, but i'll try to find time to play more before then.

Great! I'm a level 18 Human Alchemist. Maybe we'll have a chance to run some stuff before you go away. I don't have tons of time to play, and definitely not enough time to be a dedicated allegiance leader, but we can work something out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wait, what? When did AC2 come back into existence?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Very recently. Basically, AC1 is has been effectively sunsetted on an official level, in that they're going to keep the servers running and allow new accounts through a buy-to-play system, but the monthly fee has stopped, continued gameplay will not be monetized and there will be no more significant Turbine-developed content patches for the game.

They are, however, keeping the AC1 servers up for the fans, bringing AC2 back from the grave for the same reason, and for AC1 at least, will be selling official player-run server packages and licenses by the end of the year. Not sure if they'll do the same for AC2, though I'd guess so.

TLDR, AC2 is back because Turbine is essentially done with development of AC for now, and there's no harm in bringing it back for those who want it. It's a very cool way of letting a game/franchise go out with dignity.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I finally hit level 20 last night and got my alchemist skill, Dark Side.

I went from struggling against -1 level monsters to taking on 4 or 5 at once. Hell yeah. And now I have a cute crooked smile and flappy ears. :3:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

How active is this game? Now that DFO has shut back down, I need something to fill up some time over the summer. Also, I'm always interested in trying antiquated MMOs, it's fun to see where it all started.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Silento posted:

How active is this game? Now that DFO has shut back down, I need something to fill up some time over the summer. Also, I'm always interested in trying antiquated MMOs, it's fun to see where it all started.

This is and Asheron's Call are certainly real good ones because neither have been updated with modern day features. Dark Age of Camelot is another good MMO that is still stuck in the stone age.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
More like golden age. Having a binder full of scribbled notes was half the fun.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Silento posted:

It isn't crazy active, but there are always groups forming for the high-level (usually 9 person) quests. I have found partners to run dungeons and quests with, usually just by asking in General chat. The game has worldwide general chat, which is perfect for this game. The population isn't big enough for it to be spammy, but you can put out a quick 'Hey, looking for people to do x' and everyone will see it.

If you're starting completely fresh, you will get lost. That is part of the fun. If you are expecting to constantly bang out content and level up, you won't get that here. There is plenty to do, it just isn't spoon fed to you.

Sixfools posted:

More like golden age. Having a binder full of scribbled notes was half the fun.

Part of me misses that, but the other part is happy for wikis.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I just downloaded thing and will be playing some over the next week or so, looking forward to trying it out. I just tried the guest pass of Wildstar and I am just so sick to death of the same mmo with slightly different features.

\/ I think the empyrean ones sound interesting but probably won't get a chance to try playing until Sunday. I will post my name in here once I do in case any other goons want to be AC friends.

Ort fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 13, 2014

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Ort posted:

I just downloaded thing and will be playing some over the next week or so, looking forward to trying it out. I just tried the guest pass of Wildstar and I am just so sick to death of the same mmo with slightly different features.

If you have any questions about the classes I can try and answer them for you. Mostly from memory from 10 years ago, but its better than nothing!

Apocopriest
Apr 18, 2008
Thanks for this, I have been playing for a couple days now (Donnie Deadman, level 15 Archanter) and it's been so much fun going down memory lane. You know how sometimes in life you wish you could go back to a time in your past with the knowledge of what you have now and do it differently? This game scratches that itch for me in such an awesome way. If you see me around or talking in general I'll be glad to run stuff with you guys.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Apocopriest posted:

Thanks for this, I have been playing for a couple days now (Donnie Deadman, level 15 Archanter) and it's been so much fun going down memory lane. You know how sometimes in life you wish you could go back to a time in your past with the knowledge of what you have now and do it differently? This game scratches that itch for me in such an awesome way. If you see me around or talking in general I'll be glad to run stuff with you guys.

Dude! We totally quested together earlier! I was GizmoDuck, the alchemist-turned-ogre. We ran the Osteth SB weapon quest together. What a coincedence? It was me, you, Citadel Drudge, and some guy with 3 characters. That is awesome/hilarious.

Apocopriest
Apr 18, 2008

Scags posted:

Dude! We totally quested together earlier! I was GizmoDuck, the alchemist-turned-ogre. We ran the Osteth SB weapon quest together. What a coincedence? It was me, you, Citadel Drudge, and some guy with 3 characters. That is awesome/hilarious.

Freakin' amazing. That is awesome indeed :) Great times I hope there will be more of that in the future.

I was also thinking of getting an allegiance going as it's a way around the broken friend's list feature. It would be a loose thing, if you guys join then later find another allegiance that is cool. It's a totally casual thing for me :) If I could only figure out how to start it...

Apocopriest fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 14, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

What quests should I be doing at level 15? I have a few dungeon quests, but I'm not tanky enough to handle more than 2~ mobs at once. Also, I have no regen pots! Should I just be doing those excursion quests (the ones you get when you kill special mobs that ask you to kill 5 of a mob)?

Edit: My IGN is I Press Swords if anyone wants to PM me. :)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'm wanting to try a pet class - anyone have advice on whether to run Invoker or Hivekeeper?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm wanting to try a pet class - anyone have advice on whether to run Invoker or Hivekeeper?

When I played like 15 years ago or whatever, I had tried both and liked Invoker a lot more than Hivekeeper. Overall, Invoker was just a bit more powerful and more fun to play

Plus LUGIAN

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

QuarkJets posted:

When I played like 15 years ago or whatever, I had tried both and liked Invoker a lot more than Hivekeeper. Overall, Invoker was just a bit more powerful and more fun to play

Plus LUGIAN

Not gonna lie, Elementalist also looked fun as heck.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I just started a Hive Keeper, so I barely have any of the skills, but I'm not sure they're a pet class. It seems more like the bees are DOTs. The first skill summons a bee that repeatedly attacks the target, but it just goes away when the target dies. I am not sure if the enemies can attack the bees or not but it seems like they may be able to.

If you're looking for a pet class, definitely go with Invoker, or make a Lugian and go Elementalist. They are both totally badass.

Scags fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 16, 2014

Apocopriest
Apr 18, 2008
Here is a link to a starting guide that I've been following on Donnie to great effect:

http://asheron2.wikia.com/wiki/Questing_Guide_:_1_-_26

If you guys need help with runs and stuff just msg Donnie Darkman if you see me on.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Apocopriest posted:

Here is a link to a starting guide that I've been following on Donnie to great effect:

If you guys need help with runs and stuff just msg Donnie Darkman if you see me on.

That guide is great. Some of those quests are really hard to do solo though. I struggled for hours (on an alt) to get from level 13 to 15, but maybe now that I'm a Hive Keeper I'll be strong enough to take on some of those quests.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Apocopriest posted:

Hey, you weren't questing to level! I'm pretty sure I was in a power-leveling party with you last night, you cheater. :cheeky:

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
If any of you guys are looking for an allegiance, I'm in one that is decent. Lots of nice people. I can't for the life of me remember the name but if you see That Dude or Mojorisin you can swear allegiance to them. I can't remember other names right now, but I'll update this post when I get out of work.

Also if you see Gizmoduck or Gizmobee, that is me. I'll probably make a lugian elementalist tonight too, but I don't know what he'll be named. I will hopefully settle on one of those three characters.

Apocopriest
Apr 18, 2008

Silento posted:

Hey, you weren't questing to level! I'm pretty sure I was in a power-leveling party with you last night, you cheater. :cheeky:

LOL yeah but to be fair, that was my first fets group on that character and I was already 26 :) Great to know I was running with another of you guys! Also I started an Empyrean melee named Calculated Risk. She's 13 almost 14 just finished the slinker bandit part. Will be working on Curse of the Undead to get my mount on later this evening.

Apocopriest fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 16, 2014

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I just started my Lugian future-elementalist. If any of you guys see Gizmosnail running around, say hi!

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
drat I should really resub now and play again. I have I think a 63 human ranger and a 55 or something ancient tank. When it first reopened there was a LOT of people on the server, too bad there was a lack of updates cause only like 1 dev worked on it.
*edit* parties need the human debuffer the most, so if you re looking to get a party going quick you should try and play that.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone wants to run some vaults or work on the soulbound weapon quest, hit me up. I'm around 16 now, probably going for a juggernaut build. IGN is Wave.

Also despite being rough around the edges and not aging well, the game definitely has character and pretty fun in that old school MMO way.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Magic Lamp posted:

If anyone wants to run some vaults or work on the soulbound weapon quest, hit me up. I'm around 16 now, probably going for a juggernaut build. IGN is Wave.

Also despite being rough around the edges and not aging well, the game definitely has character and pretty fun in that old school MMO way.

I won't be around until 9:30 PM EST (almost 13 hours away) but if you're still trying to get those done, I'll run them with you. My Lugian is about to hit 15.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to main my alchemist or my future-elementalist, but I've definitely ruled out my HK. Its too hard to level solo as a ranged dps. (I may just suck)

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I just started this morning as an Empyrean ranged rock thrower or whatever. The game is really hitting a nice spot for me with a sense of exploration like I had in AC1. It is fun to not know what the hell is going on and not be spoonfed. The combat is kind of hard to actually tell what's going on, and I can't tell if that's my class or combat in general but I am only level 8 so I will keep at it before trying another class. Hopefully I see you all around, name is Ortella for now.

Apocopriest
Apr 18, 2008

Scags posted:

I won't be around until 9:30 PM EST (almost 13 hours away) but if you're still trying to get those done, I'll run them with you. My Lugian is about to hit 15.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to main my alchemist or my future-elementalist, but I've definitely ruled out my HK. Its too hard to level solo as a ranged dps. (I may just suck)

If you're interested in a ranged dps that owns bones, try a human archer Enchanter. Take all the Enchanter buffs and you will just destroy stuff with only autoattacks. Been running it on Donnie from the start and it has been incredibly strong the entire time. Nice bonus is the Enchanter buffs apply to fellows so you're a party animal. Biggest thing is to get your masteries maxed out ASAP as soon as you get them (cept for Paragon that ish is crazy expensive but worth just unlocking it at 20), once you get the AL buff in the Enchanter line throw a bunch of points in there as well. Getting ready to make a melee Invoker, threw it up on the calculator and I think it'll be a really good time :)

Here is a link to the calculator: http://www.ac2hero.com/skillcalc/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Apocopriest posted:

If you're interested in a ranged dps that owns bones, try a human archer Enchanter. Take all the Enchanter buffs and you will just destroy stuff with only autoattacks. Been running it on Donnie from the start and it has been incredibly strong the entire time. Nice bonus is the Enchanter buffs apply to fellows so you're a party animal. Biggest thing is to get your masteries maxed out ASAP as soon as you get them (cept for Paragon that ish is crazy expensive but worth just unlocking it at 20), once you get the AL buff in the Enchanter line throw a bunch of points in there as well. Getting ready to make a melee Invoker, threw it up on the calculator and I think it'll be a really good time :)

Here is a link to the calculator: http://www.ac2hero.com/skillcalc/

Have you had any spell/weapon incompatibilities? My Alche was originally going to be an Archanter, but someone told me that you can't cast many of the enchanter spells with a bow.

• Locked thread