Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

photomikey posted:

I worked in small-town TV. I repeatedly interviewed someone, complete with 40lb broadcast camera, microphone, and live truck emblazoned with "WHERE YOUR NEWS COMES FIRST", and after the conclusion of the interview they would say "so what newspaper are you from?"

Please tell me the same happens to you in reverse.

It's funny, since I took over as the News Director for a small cluster of radio stations in a small town, I've yet to have a lot of people ask me if I'm with the newspaper, or with the TV station.

No, I just get every single person asking me if I'm with the station that's our biggest competitor. Every single day, it's infuriating.

Anyway, the one thing I've found that makes small-town news worth it, is that you can actually see an effect. So many people get horrendously burned out in big cities and on the national level because change happens so slowly, that you often can't see any correlation between the work you do and the impact you have on people. In a small town, that poo poo is a lot more immediate. You really get the feeling that the work you're doing is making a meaningful impact on people's lives, and that's worth quite a bit.

What do you TV and Paper guys think of radio journalism, anyway? I always feel like kind of the black sheep, since everyone else has such a high emphasis on visuals, and we're like "gently caress dat poo poo!" (Of course, being the internet age, I still have to take a shitton of pictures for our website/facebook. You can't win for losing. :qq:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Awesome Welles posted:

The print, radio, and one or two of the non-crazy TV people (namely our affiliate, their people are actually surprisingly chill), couldn't help but laugh at some of the asinine questions. I was surprised the cameras didn't pick up some of us laughing towards the end when one of the camera guys for another station I'm familiar kept muttering questions like "What color was the bullet? What did the man yell as he ran? Did he have any spare change on him?"

One of my proudest moments was when a few other journalists and I were interviewing a school official, and everyone was asking him a few questions. It finally came down to me, I thought for a moment before asking him my question, and one of the newspaper people said out loud "Wow, that is a great question." :kimchi:

But yeah, I was at a conference a few months ago at Texas Tech, and one of the panels was just 5 local TV news directors chatting for a couple hours. The one big thing they all agreed on was "Holy poo poo, in the last decade our reporters have become terrible." It's really something to see the people in charge agreeing that they just can't find any decent people to do these jobs anymore.

How is the job market in Houston right now? I'm interested in a move, and wanted to get somewhere closer to east/southeast Texas, but I've heard that Austin and Houston are locked up tight right now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'd like to stick with radio, it's where my strengths lie. I'll be honest, I'm not in it for the money, (If I was, I'd be doing sales, not news. :v:) but I'd like to get enough to get by, so no stringing. Starting back over at the bottom is no big deal, I was kind of anticipating having to drop down a few pegs to get back into a mass-market anyway. If you have a few emails of people who might be interested in my resume and reel I'd sure love to have 'em!

Edit: And yeah, I know that the general progression is seen as Small-town news > big town news > PR! But, I would like to avoid having to sell my soul completely to a non-media corporation. Or to clear channel.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I hate to double-post (And revive the thread) but I thought it might be funny to add that after my last post, and saying that I'd stick with radio...

I'm now working for a small-town newspaper. :v: Turns out, that when someone offers you more money and better hours, it's easy to make a format switch!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh man, I actually love news about cotton. Like, literally, in West Texas I was subscribed to a biweekly publication called "Cotton News". Everyone else at work thought I was nuts, because I would get super excited when mail came in and Plains Cotton Growers sent the next issue of it.

I probably ran more stories about cotton in the year I worked in West Texas, than that station ran in the past five years. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

rndmnmbr posted:

Cotton news sold papers, and at least one issue every October was headlined with the first gin (of five in the area we covered) to process a bale that year.

Ahhhahahaha, finally, someone who will believe me when I tell them the story about how I more-or-less snuck into the gin to get the first shot of the first bale of cotton for 2013.

What up cotton buddy :clint::hf::v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Dang Freddy, you're right by where I was working. Did you ever visit Big Spring any time over the last year?

• Locked thread