Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I write for a small daily in the southeast, but as the life of a small paper is, I've done just about everything. By everything, I mean regular news, sports, lots of photography, page layouts, general reception work and changing lights.

Axel Serenity posted:

In all seriousness, traditional print journalism is still pretty heavily set in old ways. Start at a small paper -> work towards a larger venue. The internet and blogging has changed some of that since you can find good writers by surfing around the net a bit, but then you run into the problem of people who are good writers but not necessarily good journalists (see Gaming "news" in its current state).

We take press releases from businesses. Perhaps only one of them actually knows how to put stuff in order and not bury their lede in the middle of the fifth paragraph. They also tend to spice things up too much with endless descriptions of pointless things. Unless you're quickly going somewhere with it, I do not need to know that there was not a cloud in the sky during yet another great win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

I also got a three-minute tirade over voice mail two weeks after I left that my coworkers sent to me from a crazy woman trying to petition the city regarding a story I wrote like a month ago, threatening to go to a TV station that won't care and tell them what a terrible journalist I am for accurately reporting relevant information and omitting nothing of value.

This is community journalism in a nutshell.

The nearest non-public access stations to us are an hour away. We rarely cross paths and they're usually pretty chill. I have heard stories of them tripping over themselves and each other just get their microphones in at press conferences, though.

• Locked thread